You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Kyle Confronts" - Benefit Britain.

edited September 2010 in The Shed

Watching this, this morning has really been an eye-opener......(watch the repeat if u aint seen it).....

How can someone be better off on benefits than if they got a job??????

Getting a job would mean they LOST MONEY !!!

Whats going on here? anyone got views on this????

How the heck can people be expected to work for less money than they would get by not having to work????

Comments

• edited September 2010
    In Response to "Kyle Confronts" - Benefit Britain.:
    Watching this, this morning has really been an eye-opener......(watch the repeat if u aint seen it)..... How can someone be better off on benefits than if they got a job?????? Getting a job would mean they LOST MONEY !!! Whats going on here? anyone got views on this???? How the heck can people be expected to work for less money than they would get by not having to work????
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Because taxation in this country is fundamentally flawed/unfair?  Because both the benefits and tax systems are in desperate need of review/reform?

(lol @ your Jeremy Kyle obsession!)

• EENEEN
    edited September 2010
    I dont necessarily agree with people who say getting a job would mean they lost money. You show me someone on a full time wage who's worse off than someone on benefits and I will listen, but I doubt that happens in more than about 5% of cases.

I also disagree with people getting more money per child, this is why people just have kids to get more money out of the system. You should stop getting extra benefits after the 2nd one. Yes it sounds like im trying to start a dictatorship, but im not. Im tired of hearing people moan about there being no jobs, because there is. Just look in the local job centre. I've put myself through college and university and had a job since i left high school at 16, so why do these 20 and 30 year olds struggle? Because they're LAZY and most of them dont want to work.

Is this really what our dads and grandads fought in both the world wars for? I think they'd be looking down on this country in disgust.

[edit] By the way I have no issues with people on benefits who are genuinely disabled and physically cannot work.
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to Re: "Kyle Confronts" - Benefit Britain.:
    I dont necessarily agree with people who say getting a job would mean they lost money. You show me someone on a full time wage who's worse off than someone on benefits and I will listen, but I doubt that happens in more than about 5% of cases. I also disagree with people getting more money per child, this is why people just have kids to get more money out of the system. You should stop getting extra benefits after the 2nd one. Yes it sounds like im trying to start a dictatorship, but im not. Im tired of hearing people moan about there being no jobs, because there is. Just look in the local job centre. I've put myself through college and university and had a job since i left high school at 16, so why do these 20 and 30 year olds struggle? Because they're LAZY and most of them dont want to work. Is this really what our dads and grandads fought in both the world wars for? I think they'd be looking down on this country in disgust.
    Posted by EEN
    I'm afraid this well-known paradox is sad, but true.  It's something I explored numerous times in my past-life as a proper journalist!  Social studies have discovered plenty of people who find they are better off under the benefits system than taking a low-paid job - especially if they have to pay for childcare.

I agree there are people who are genuinely lazy and don't want to work.  I also know there are people who abuse the benefits system.  My naive faith in humankind, and my automatic dismissal of the bile spouted by The Daily Hate, leads me to suspect they are in the minority.

There are so many single parents who are desperate to work, but can't afford to.  This is an insane situation.  As I said in my previous post, the tax and welfare systems in this country are in need of complete overhaul.  Alas, that would cost money.

• edited September 2010

I noticed all the people he visited/interviewed on the show were northerners!!!!

Don't you guys down south like to slob about all day too??? lol

But seriously,using "self-respect" as a motivation to try to get someone to work for less money than they get by not working, just aint gonna work!!!! ???? :s
  • EENEEN
    edited September 2010
    I noticed all the people he visited/interviewed on the show were northerners!!!! Don't you guys down south like to slob about all day too??? lol But seriously,using "self-respect" as a motivation to try to get someone to work for less money than they get by not working, just aint gonna work !!!! ???? :s
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    But it should.

Someone asks you what do you do for a living, and all you can reply is " im on benefits " does that not make those people feel bad? Knowing the millions of hard-working individuals in this country are paying for them to live? I'd feel bloody guilty, but I guess most of the people these days would look at that as a good thing. Sadly.
  • edited September 2010
    Normal unemployment benefits are not very much, its when you add all the DLA, mobility allowance, Carers allowance, rent paid, rates paid, free dental, free prescriptions, free eye tests, free road tax, reduced fees in public pools/gyms, free school meals, free college courses, the list goes on. When the government first introduced disability living allowance it was meant to help the genuinely disabled to get around and live independent lives, but the trouble is, everyone is now classed as 'disabled' if you want to, acne, obesity, alcohol, drugs, asthma, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, any old phobia etc. What they need to do is ensure that no person in the country receives in total benefits per week more than the hourly minimum wage times 40! They should also give a time limit on benefits, say 10 years maximum between the ages of 18 and 65. Another point is, the government have now made even middle class workers claim benefits, yes pay more tax and we will give you some back in 'credits' but now things are getting tough, are they going to hit the scroungers who receive but don't contribute, no, they want to get rid of the perks that working people get like child benefit and winter fuel payments but still letting the spongers keep it. I personally do not receive benefits of any kind, i only pay into the system, last year i paid over £8000 in tax and N.I so i would like to know my contributions are being spent wisely! Last year a friend of mine in his fifties who served in the military, lost his job as a lorry driver. He gets £240 a month army pension and used this to pay his mortgage, he went to sign on and was told that he was not entitled to anything as he was collecting his pension, luckily he found another job the next month, he pays thousands over the years in taxes and gets nowt and others pay nowt over the years and get everything and i think this is a joke! One final point, i was brought up in DR Barnados and when i was 17 1/2 i joined the army just to get a roof over my head, after 9 years and promotion to sergeant i left, got a job in mcDonalds as security for 3 months to tide my over, i then worked in a factory for 5 years and during that time out of my own pocket gained professional qualifications, and i am now an engineer, ive never been unemployed, im nothing special either, so if i can get off my backside and look for work then so can everyone else! last point - if people are genuinely disabled or unemployed but are looking for work i have no problem, its the chancers i hate!, END OF RANT LOL!
  • edited September 2010
    i will watch this later seing as the other half sky+ kyle!

we have a friend who has 2 children who is on benefits.

one of her children is disabled so she gets more money for that.

she worked out that she gets about £1200 a month in benefits which is crazy imo.

if you took a low paid job working a 40 hour week you would earn no where near that once the government has taken there share so i can see why she doesnt work! whats the point?

while ive worked all my life but for the last 2 months ive been off sick due to a chronic ilness and i hardly get any help in benefits!

the whole system is flawed as you would think people who have worked all there life and then need help would be treated better than someone who just fires out a load of babies.........................
  • edited September 2010

Would be great if there was a solution, but the problem is that this country has been too soft for too long.

I have known folk on benefits who are quite well off which is wrong.

There are folk who will NEVER work though, maybe just because they have been let down by the system and their upbringing.

I might be wrong, but the lad (never looked much older than 30) sitting outside Wilkinsons this morning at about 9am shotgunning a can of special brew whilst having great fun playing with a sparkler is probably not in work, and probably wont be for a while.

It is people like this who have been failed (imo) but for the leeches, unless there is a radical overhaul of the benefits system, they will always be on easy street.

Any economic benefit in welfare/unemployment benefits not falling from the sky (or being cut) for these scammers would probably be more than gobbled-up in the cost of rising crime that would no doubt follow.

Its been said before, and will probably be said again, but the long term unemployed/unemployable should be out there doing SOMETHING in return for the money they get.

• edited September 2010

How many pints a week would I have to drink to be able to claim on the alcohol bit??

• edited September 2010
    I saw a recent study JJ and some of the qualifying Pints/Cans (Per Week unless stated otherwise) levels to qualify as a Jakey are.....

Carlsberg Special Brew............27 cans
    Strongbow.............................62 pints
    Fosters/Carling etc.................61.5 pints
    The Nasty own-brand 1% stuff from Supermarkets 79 Cans (per day)
    QC Sherry.............................2 pints (at Breakfast Time)
    White Lightning/Gut Rot/99p Lambrini....3 litres per day (if it is the 50% extra free bottle)
    Cointreau..............................Just 1 50ml shot
  • edited September 2010
    I saw a recent study JJ and some of the qualifying Pints/Cans (Per Week unless stated otherwise) levels to qualify as a Jakey are..... Carlsberg Special Brew............27 cans Strongbow.............................62 pints Fosters/Carling etc.................61.5 pints The Nasty own-brand 1% stuff from Supermarkets 79 Cans (per day) QC Sherry.............................2 pints (at Breakfast Time) White Lightning/Gut Rot/99p Lambrini....3 litres per day (if it is the 50% extra free bottle) Cointreau..............................Just 1 50ml shot
    Posted by emilyegg
    im sure dohhhhhh could do any of those in a week..................
  • edited September 2010
    BENEFIT BRITAIN GOES RIGHT TO THE VERY TOP SEE SKYTEXT PAGE 110

THE QUEEN HAS BEEN CRITICISED AFTER IT WAS REVEALED THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD SOUGHT ANTI-POVERTY GRANTS TO HEAT HER PALACES. AN AIDE WROTE ASKING WHETHER HER MAJESTY WOULD BE ELIGIBLE FOR A HANDOUT FROM A £60M ENERGY-SAVING FUND. HE COMPLAINED THAT THE COST OF KEEPING THE QUEEN AND HER STAFF WARM HAD DOUBLED TO £1M A YEAR, AND THE £15M GOVERNMENT GRANT TO MAINTAIN HER PALACES WAS INADEQUATE.

LETS SEE KYLE CONFRONT HER ABOUT THAT THEN.
  • edited September 2010
    How many pints a week would I have to drink to be able to claim on the alcohol bit??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Looking to cut down are you?
  • edited September 2010
    kyle vs the queen that would be tv gold....................................

doesnt one of the royal family own like half the propertys in london???

what a cheek!
  • edited September 2010
    Getting a job would mean they LOST MONEY !!!

Cant remember which programme i watched, but, a guy on long term unemployment benefits went in the job centre and was shown jobs he could apply for and the lady who was helping him was even saying 'you will be better off staying on benefits' eventually he got a job and obviously the council house that was being payed for by taxpayers now had to be paid for by him. It was not long before he realised he was only making a few bob more than if he were sat on his bootox and was back to square one.

Thats knowing where your breads buttered.

I agree with EmilyEgg, there has to be something that THE scroungers and layabouts who cant be aR55ed can be doing, they could start with all the holes in the roads maybe, clearing up derelict areas, doing my washing up maybe?

Sure though their poor old 'WhoMan Rights innit' would somehow be contravened.....Poor Sods
  • edited September 2010

I agree with the Egg, everyone on benefits should have to work for it on community projects, no show - no money, the decent people looking for jobs will happily do this no questions asked.  This is the only way to try and get something out of the remaining scummers cause at the minute they are laughing at everyone of us.

• edited September 2010

I'm surprised anyone's shocked by this.

I don't have statistics to hand but what's the average wage just now? What's the average cost for a meagre place's month's rent? Probably about 50% of it? Add benefits onto your rent being paid? Add what you can make on the fly? Add the convenience of not having to work? I can't blame them for not wanting to work.

When I first split with the mother of my child I was seriously considering it. I was hauling myself out of bed at 6 every morning to pay bills, pay maintenance, pay for my times with him and could barely afford a night out a month as she partied continuously. Aye, I had my own house, I had my own car, but the dole would pay my rent and probably a car too if I could prove a gammy leg.

A girl that grew up in my area was interviewed in The Sun recently about her lifestyle and she was totally blatant about it. She admitted how much she got and it was startling. Probably a better lifestyle than me and I've got a fairly decent job. She did have 3 kids to three different fathers admittedly but that's almost a career move these days.

I'm not going to get all Daily Mail here but the above are facts.

Solutions? They're not so easy. Cut the benefits? Crime rises. Make people work for benefits? Who exactly polices that and pays for that policing? A sweeping generalisation, but it wouldn't be the easiest mob to control I'd imagine.

I wholly believe in the welfare system. Read "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" if you want an idea of how bad things were before. But like so many things (Health and Safety, Political correctness et al), it's gone full circle. You can blame the MPs but they're mostly quite intelligent chaps. The human mass is quite hard to control. And by and large we're quite a selfish beast.

An aside, but I also knew a guy on disability allowance that managed to get £30K from various credit cards. The Baillifs couldn't even touch his possesions as he was on disabillity. Debt written off. He told it with humour though, I'll let him of with it.

Crikey, that was a serious post for The Shed. Maybe we need a "heavy s h i t" forum, lol.

• edited September 2010
    The Baillifs couldn't even touch his possesions as he was on disabillity.

They couldn't do that anyway.  The only baillifs that can enter your home and take goods are for debts to county councils/the inland revenue.

I was on benefits a couple of years ago.  The system is very wrong.  The basic benefit is pittence, its just when you add in all the other stuff does it add up to serious money. I got something like 45£/week but then it was increased to 80£/week because I had a medical issue at the time.

The job centres are very depressing places and the right help isn't given.

I do think that people who have been on JSA for over a year should have to do some kind of community projects to then receive their money, however I believe that studies have looked into this and it would cost more to organise and enforce this than the amount that would be saved.

But the main issue is that a lot of people who exist on benefits are totally unemployable.  They have been victims of the system and have been under them so long that it is too late for them to change.  What must be done is something to stop the next generation from falling into the same trap. 

I firmly believe that compulsary national service for all people aged 16-24 will help turn things around.  These young people may have lived their entire live without a)having a father figure in the house or b) having no working adult role model in their immediate family.  And a new life experience, away from their family, may give them the insight and drive to change and want to contribute to society.

• edited September 2010
    The Baillifs couldn't even touch his possesions as he was on disabillity. They couldn't do that anyway.  The only baillifs that can enter your home and take goods are for debts to county councils/the inland revenue. I was on benefits a couple of years ago.  The system is very wrong.  The basic benefit is pittence, its just when you add in all the other stuff does it add up to serious money. I got something like 45£/week but then it was increased to 80£/week because I had a medical issue at the time. The job centres are very depressing places and the right help isn't given. I do think that people who have been on JSA for over a year should have to do some kind of community projects to then receive their money, however I believe that studies have looked into this and it would cost more to organise and enforce this than the amount that would be saved. But the main issue is that a lot of people who exist on benefits are totally unemployable.  They have been victims of the system and have been under them so long that it is too late for them to change.  What must be done is something to stop the next generation from falling into the same trap.  I firmly believe that compulsary national service for all people aged 16-24 will help turn things around.  These young people may have lived their entire live without a)having a father figure in the house or b) having no working adult role model in their immediate family.  And a new life experience, away from their family, may give them the insight and drive to change and want to contribute to society.
    Posted by scotty77
    Wanna bet? Try it.

I kinda agree with most of what you've written. Benefits aren't huge money to the layman. But to the flyman they are all he needs to have an edge. I've seen it a million times Scotty, trust me.

The bottom part of your post, whereas not wrong, is a tad idealistic I feel. Who's going to control this and police it? In the Recession (and it is a recession, if not a depression) that we're in as the government makes scathing cuts?

It's a problem of our so called society. It ain't the problem of those "slackers". It's been too long in the making to blame any individual. Or even any individual group.

F u c k it, Bed. Good night and good bless to all humanity xx
  • edited September 2010
    It's a problem of our so called society. It ain't the problem of those "slackers". It's been too long in the making to blame any individual. Or even any individual group.

totally agree.  the issues that are facing Britain, in fact most the Western world, have been decades in the making.

the USA has a far more hardline stance on social security and has deeper social problems than us.

but yeah to the bailliffs thing they have very, very little powers.  a huge amount of personal debt is unsecured, like credit cards/loans and once someone defaults the companies have very little they can do to reclaim the money.  THEY could get a CCJ and then apply for a bailliff however this is rare as usually the sums are sub 10k and the chance of full repayment is so remote that it is just written off.

the biggest weapon that particular industry has is public ignorance and fear.  when i was 19 i was in like 15k of debt.  i didnt pay for a couple of months and then the letters/phone calls came which was scary so i started doing my homework and quickly found out that these major high street names were so FOS and they had virtually no basis to reclaim the money  so i wrote to them back offering them each a figure of 15% of debt owed as a full and final settlement on the basis that the black marks that were placed on my credit history to be removed.

after 2 months they had all agreed.  a year later i had a mortgage approved and have never touched any form of credit since.

sorry for going a bit O/T btw but if any financial instuition threatens you stick to your guns and don't let them intinmate you.  the only people you should make sure you pay are your mortgage/inland revenue and council tax! especially council tax