You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TRACKING SOFTWARE

edited October 2010 in Poker Chat
Now that the site is downloadable has the decision been made yet if to allow tracking software to work on Sky?

I have used tracking software on other sites and it is very useful however the majority of good players also use it. 

I actually think it would be better if Sky does NOT allow Tracking Software as it actually makes the site almost unique in this and makes the style of play different as opposed to Sharks just looking at peoples VPP's etc. It may even mean the newer players will be more attracted to this site as they know their stats aren't being used against them.

Ed

Comments

• edited October 2010

Where is the downloadable? & how do i download it?
  • edited October 2010
    I have never used tracking software, obviously it would be useful to a pro player...

BUT

It takes some of the skill and fun out of the game surely? Horrid thing, ban tracking software full stop imo. Or in 50 years time people will be able to take a gadget to live poker games that does the same thing... ugh at the thought

• edited October 2010
    they would have to entirely rework the way they display hand histories for software to be compatable with it. pretty sure this wont happen.

or the only other way is if some random brazilian decides to help out someone he met on a footall forum
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TRACKING SOFTWARE:
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
    I have seen a few posts on this and apparently it is currently being tested by some players.  Sky want to make sure it works properly before its general release.

Steve
  • edited October 2010
    Posted by DTWBANDIT

Not yet, coming soon.

• edited October 2010
    I want the downloadable :o(

I put yes but wouldn't use it so dont know why lol? there goes the 100% record for no oops
  • edited October 2010
    wow, really surprised its a heavy vote no.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi all

Sky Rich posted this yesterday:Hi Aces,

We're really not far away but as i'm sure you can appreciate this is a moving date as we need to ensure the final product is totally polished and bug free before going live. We will make a full announcement across the site when it is fully live. You wont miss it...i promise!

Rich
  • edited October 2010
    I am one of the beta testers

It's pretty good, has a few little bugs but is nice, doesn't feel much different from playing online flash.

Dave
  • edited October 2010
    I have spoken to one of the tech guys direct about this. I'll let them asnwer it fully but the general answer was... No tracking software will not work to start with, but if there is a big demand it can be added in the 1st ugrade. Looking at this poll my guess is it wont happen.
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TRACKING SOFTWARE : I have seen a few posts on this and apparently it is currently being tested by some players.  Sky want to make sure it works properly before its general release. Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u

Cheers Steve will keep an eye out for it Michael
  • edited October 2010
    I have spoken to one of the tech guys direct about this. I'll let them asnwer it fully but the general answer was... No tracking software will not work to start with, but if there is a big demand it can be added in the 1st ugrade. Looking at this poll my guess is it wont happen.
    Posted by FlashFlush

Cheers Charlie

• edited October 2010
    In Response to TRACKING SOFTWARE:
    Now that the site is downloadable has the decision been made yet if to allow tracking software to work on Sky? I have used tracking software on other sites and it is very useful however the majority of good players also use it.  I actually think it would be better if Sky does NOT allow Tracking Software as it actually makes the site almost unique in this and makes the style of play different as opposed to Sharks just looking at peoples VPP's etc. It may even mean the newer players will be more attracted to this site as they know their stats aren't being used against them. Ed
    Posted by THESWISS
    players stats should not be accessed by anyone in my book you pay your money and takes your chance
  • edited October 2010

i am supprised at just how one sided the voting seems to be on this. Debated many times on here it seems the site will not become compatible. I understand that many people don't want it (and it's not a bad thing that sky could advertise as tracker free as a USP), what does worry me is that some people don't want it because they don't understand it.

Trackers are not bots, they can not read your cards and they do not play the game for those using them, they statistically break down your results and hands to give you all sorts of info to plug leaks in your game. now i understand the good players not wanting new players to fix leaks but i did think more of them would side with the tracking software than not, how wrong can you be eh? :)

What i would say is if your voting no then make sure you know why, check out the software and make an informed decision, at least then if the site stick with a no tracker policy then it's because it is truly what the customer base want and not just a knee jerk reaction to software newer players don't understand

Personally i think if the download version is not compatible then that means no exportable hand history and plugging my leaks against specific players becomes a proverbial pain in the A**E, but hey ho i'll go along with whatever is decided for the good of the community

• edited October 2010
    I voted no as I,ve been looking earlier at poker software and noticed it was advertised for most main sites, but not Sky

This makes Sky Poker pretty unique and I think they could use this in their advertising of the site. I don,t want to play on sites where ppl can just look up the way i,ve been playing for last few weeks, months etc and spot my betting patterns at the click of a mouse and think new players would be more attracted to Sky if they knew they were on a level playing field, so to speak. I do try and mix up my play on here as you have to when playing regularly.

Having said that I am considering purchasing some software for when I play on other sites (which isn,t very often now for this very reason)

There seems to be so many things out there and i would like to know what other members of the community use when they play away from Sky and why (has it improved your BR and game) ? eg Holdem manager, Poker Tracker 3, the calculater ones, table scanners, buying bulk hand historys etc etc 

You can either post on here or PM me, but any advice before purchasing would be much appreciated. Thx
  • edited October 2010

Holdem manager seems to be the flavour of the month amongst players but they both do a job. It doesn't directly improve you BR but what it does do is highlight YOUR betting patterns to you. This means you can see where you make and lose money. By knowing which cards, situations and positions you are playing badly from you can adjust your game to fill these leaks and to maximise your profits.

I see no problem with allowing the tracking of hands, it should be possible to allow the exporting of hands to PT3 of HM and just block the heads up display meaning people are not using real time information at the table. Would this be a better option to those opposed?

• edited October 2010
    I voted no as I,ve been looking earlier at poker software and noticed it was advertised for most main sites, but not Sky This makes Sky Poker pretty unique and I think they could use this in their advertising of the site. I don,t want to play on sites where ppl can just look up the way i,ve been playing for last few weeks, months etc and spot my betting patterns at the click of a mouse and think new players would be more attracted to Sky if they knew they were on a level playing field, so to speak. I do try and mix up my play on here as you have to when playing regularly. Having said that I am considering purchasing some software for when I play on other sites (which isn,t very often now for this very reason) There seems to be so many things out there and i would like to know what other members of the community use when they play away from Sky and why (has it improved your BR and game) ? eg Holdem manager, Poker Tracker 3, the calculater ones, table scanners, buying bulk hand historys etc etc  You can either post on here or PM me, but any advice before purchasing would be much appreciated. Thx
    Posted by MP33

Holdem manager is generally the more popular, i have also used Poker Office which is not bad.

• edited October 2010
    I voted no as I,ve been looking earlier at poker software and noticed it was advertised for most main sites, but not Sky This makes Sky Poker pretty unique and I think they could use this in their advertising of the site. I don,t want to play on sites where ppl can just look up the way i,ve been playing for last few weeks, months etc and spot my betting patterns at the click of a mouse and think new players would be more attracted to Sky if they knew they were on a level playing field, so to speak. I do try and mix up my play on here as you have to when playing regularly. Having said that I am considering purchasing some software for when I play on other sites (which isn,t very often now for this very reason) There seems to be so many things out there and i would like to know what other members of the community use when they play away from Sky and why (has it improved your BR and game) ? eg Holdem manager, Poker Tracker 3, the calculater ones, table scanners, buying bulk hand historys etc etc  You can either post on here or PM me, but any advice before purchasing would be much appreciated. Thx
    Posted by MP33

I agree that a lot of players are scared by the term tracking software and don't truly understand how it works or indeed how it can benefit them as players. It is a pain not being able to track your own profits and leaks etc but i still think Sky should remain tracker free as it will mean less cash sharks and also that Sky has another USP.

• edited October 2010
    +1

The real benefits are post game analysis and leak finding, PT and HM are both excellent tools to help improve your game. The numbers on the heads up display are a guide but in cash we are not talking about a player pool of 100's of thousands on this site i'm sure most of us have a fair idea of others playing styles and what a 3 bet does or doesn't mean from certain players. They do help multi tabling however, if the site is keen on increasing traffic supporting a tool that benefits multi tablers and one that provides data to improve your game must be a good thing.

How many of us know if 22, 33, 44, 55 are profitable raises UTG, does KQ in mid position work for you, PT and HM will tell you this and so much more, the term tracking software does nor begin to describe what these programes can do for your game both on and away from the table. I for one would welcome support for Holdem Manager, it is a fantastic piece of software.

One final point, these programmes are of more use to cash players that tourney players simply due to size of playing pools and how often you sit with a player because you only build stats on players you play.

• edited October 2010
    This won't be an issue for Sky as the download doesn't support this.  The download is great tho.

I'm glad that Sky have made this decision.

And yeah some major geeks have been able to workaround it and made a programme of their own.  My stats are a lot less appalling then I'd thought they'd be :)

I do like HEM tho and use it on other sites.
  • edited October 2010

I AM ONE OF THE BEATA TESTERS ,
      I FIND IT TO BE A LOT FASTER IN LOADING .
      EXCELLENT OPENING IN MULTI TABLES NO LAG .
      OVERALL A PLEASURE TO USE .
      AT A GUESS I SAY SKYPOKER WILL RELEASE TO ALL END OFF NOVEMBER
      OR START OF DECEMBER .

DENIS

• edited October 2010
    In Response to Re: TRACKING SOFTWARE:
    they would have to entirely rework the way they display hand histories for software to be compatable with it. pretty sure this wont happen. or the only other way is if some random brazilian decides to help out someone he met on a footall forum
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

LOL_POST_OBV

This won't be an issue for Sky as the download doesn't support this.  The download is great tho. I'm glad that Sky have made this decision. And yeah some major geeks have been able to workaround it and made a programme of their own.  My stats are a lot less appalling then I'd thought they'd be :) I do like HEM tho and use it on other sites.
    Posted by scotty77

FWIW the download version has changed nothing in terms of what could or couldn't be done.

The addition of the hand history section where you can review some of your recent hands in a webpage has provided a possible avenue for accessing your hh's through HEM but put it this way it's taken a few months of coding and testing and iteration to get anywhere near accessing my own hands.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm pretty new to poker and not really up to spec on tracking software.  I don't really have a clue as to the pros and cons, however if Sky keep their site free from the trackers it would, imo, be a unique selling point to many players. If i was to go to a site that already allows their use then fair enough go for it!
    I'm not really much of a cash player anyway so not sure if it would be of any benefit for me.
  • edited October 2010
    i disagree with stien about mostly useful for cash players.

know what % of hands your opponenet is shoving in each position depending on how many bbs they have is pretty f ing awesome
  • edited October 2010
    i disagree with stien about mostly useful for cash players. know what % of hands your opponenet is shoving in each position depending on how many bbs they have is pretty f ing awesome
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

I disagree with you you massive tourny fish. 

Any fish knows that in tournaments the dynamics are so situational/level specific that stats come into it alot less, yes see how spewy they are pre antes but with a very small sample so no real decent info can be taken other than generic vpip/pfr thoughts with regards to spread and positional awareness. Cash it's alot more consistently useful.

Irregardless the most important aspect of tracking software is tracking your own results and analysing your own play.
  • edited October 2010
    i think hem for tourneys on sky >>>>>>>>>>>> hem for tourneys on other sites, however you make good points and i are wrong
  • edited October 2010
    the main thing about the download is the increase in speed/reliablity of the tables.

not everyone has 15k mac setups.  i 12 tables the other day using the download, something that i couldn't have done browser based.
  • edited October 2010
    the main thing about the download is the increase in speed/reliablity of the tables. not everyone has 15k mac setups.  i 12 tables the other day using the download, something that i couldn't have done browser based.
    Posted by scotty77

FWIW mac's are pretty slow running sky or so I have found :lol:

Wasn't till upgraded pc that 12-24 was possible.

FWIW with the betting and numerical entry issues in the beta is really annoying atm!
  • edited October 2010
    if sky ban poker ware after they relese their own software, I will leave, i use poker ware on all the other sites and it works, it improves my game and 82% of online cash player use it, not to use it puts you at a massive disadvantage to those that do

It takes no skill away from the player, it just gives you much more accurate observations

Live players already document their hands and the megga alien players can re call them from memory

Holdem indicator would be ideal as poker ware on sky and i am sure once i get the download and ask them to have a look they will work out a patch for sky
  • edited October 2010
    if sky ban poker ware after they relese their own software, I will leave, i use poker ware on all the other sites and it works, it improves my game and 82% of online cash player use it, not to use it puts you at a massive disadvantage to those that do It takes no skill away from the player, it just gives you much more accurate observations Live players already document their hands and the megga alien players can re call them from memory.  Holdem indicator would be ideal as poker ware on sky and i am sure once i get the download and ask them to have a look they will work out a patch for sky
    Posted by KKarlos93

good luck lol.