You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Priced out

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
I used to love playing in the 8pm tournies, they were within my buy in range and if i didnt quite have enough there was always a satelite i could try with (as was most of the primo's) But now they have been priced out of my range!
Even the satelites for the primo is as much as most of the 8pm's were.

I understand the change but i dont like it!

I enjoyed playing the big fields to see if i could cash, playing the really good players and see if i could take them off a hand, and even trying to keep my chips against some lucksters (which i must admit, i was one of them sometimes) but now, thats it for me. I am playing the freerolls and some small sng's but the thrill isnt there anymore!!

Im not sure what sky could replace them with for us mediocre players with a small bankroll but i doubt if they will have the same field size or excitement??

Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Exactly the same and i fear that there is lots and lots more too,xxx
  • edited November 2010
    I think that a the new schedule will be looked again after a couple of weeks.

There are still plenty of £11 tournies around that attract 150plus runners.

If you can't afford the satellittes then look at getting the entry fee via DYMs or normal SnGs.
  • edited November 2010

Hanging on for a £2k (min) gtd tourny to run anytime between 7-30 and 9pm, nightly, with a £5-10 buy in.........

There's more to come........Cross ya fingers!!!
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out:
    Hanging on for a £2k (min) gtd tourny to run anytime between 7-30 and 9pm, nightly, with a £5-10 buy in......... There's more to come........Cross ya fingers!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

did you hear this from anyone at Sky or is this an idea?

fwiw i think that a identical tournie to the TSP classic running at that time would be great
  • edited November 2010
    I agree, very disappointed I am priced out of the Sky main events

Bankroll management is key we keep getting told!!

I hope they review, I understand its all about business needs so lets see if the money made increases or decreases.

Dave
  • edited November 2010

Nah haven't heard it, but it's common sense.

Dunno why it takes em weeks/months to plan, then implement, any regular player on the site cud think up a better tourny schedule within half an hour.

They said last week everyone will be catered for, so a tourny like this is inevitable.....you wud think..........

Along with a £200 gtd (min) NLHE freezeout at 5pm and 6pm. 
  • edited November 2010
    Well Doh if Sky haven't added something like this to the schedule soon then do you forum thing...you have more success at getting things moving than I do :p

I reckon an £11 1.5k/2k GTD would get a lot of runners between 8.30/9...especially as now £22ME are out of the price range of a lot of people now.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Priced out:
    I used to love playing in the 8pm tournies, they were within my buy in range and if i didnt quite have enough there was always a satelite i could try with (as was most of the primo's) But now they have been priced out of my range! Even the satelites for the primo is as much as most of the 8pm's were. I understand the change but i dont like it! I enjoyed playing the big fields to see if i could cash, playing the really good players and see if i could take them off a hand, and even trying to keep my chips against some lucksters (which i must admit, i was one of them sometimes) but now, thats it for me. I am playing the freerolls and some small sng's but the thrill isnt there anymore!! Im not sure what sky could replace them with for us mediocre players with a small bankroll but i doubt if they will have the same field size or excitement?? Anyone else feel the same?
    Posted by major1962
     i also agree with you i think this is the wrong decision by sky i understand that the tourneys have become so popular that they so full it runs over late so  they cant show the final tables on the t/v showes in that case could it not have been the number of players who enter change to a smaller number  and not put the price up .
    because after all its a monster of a tourney thats got to big to controle. but you know what they say if you dont feed it then it will die . and the price will come back down.
  • edited November 2010

I am gutted as well.Ihave a week off and was looking forward to playing in the main events as I dont have to get up early,but they are now out of my price range.

Deano

• edited November 2010
    TBH I think the ME is still quite cheap in comparison to all the other sites although out of a lot of people's BR comfort as Dave stated therefore several new sats have been introduced to give everyone an opportunity to play them. For all those that may not sat in there is still worthwhile mtt's available such as the 8.15pm DS for £5.50, that always used to have a great following and if those who fail to play the 8pm play this instead then surely that is a good thing with increased numbers in the Prize pool and do well in these and that sets up an opportunity to play a few 8pm mtt's. 

The 10pm TSP classic is also getting a good following and long may that continue, ofc if a similar GTD tournament was introduced earlier in the evening then that would be even better! 

I know several players who will not be playing the 8pm every night unless they satellite in, imo these events should be something to be aspired to if they are not reachable atm all of which gives a player a challenge in order to reach if that is what they want. There may come a time where the 8pm gets even more expensive in line with other poker sites, if Sky do this, it will be for a reason and no doubt they would not have done these changes in the first place unless it was achievable and within their business model of where they want the site to sit within the market. 

ATM the 8pm mtt's are running great guns and hopefully that will continue, although early doors i agree, if Sky could tweak other tournaments around the 8pm then im sure they also would become succesful. 
  • edited November 2010
    I didn't play last night as I was out, but the 8pm BH on Monday was £22 and got 500 runners, doesn't seem o have effected it that much imo. People will still play. Sky know exactly how many runners they have in these MTTs so proof will be in the pudding, I predict another good turnout tonight for the DS. Think it normally gets about 350 runners.... Although Rich's multi ball may keep some away as they will then have a minimum of 3 games going.
  • edited November 2010
    i admit i cant afford to pay 22quid a tourney,£11 i was fine paying lol...

hope they reintroduce them again
  • edited November 2010
    At the end of the day i dont think many of the better bankrolled players give a hoot about the rest of us.1 player on this thread has already stated we should maybe play the 8.15 deepy,why? surely we should be able to play a variety of tournies shouldnt we? The ME was the highlight for most of us and now even the sats are alot dearer,xxx
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    Tonight theres the 2 x £2.20 multi ball tournies at 7:30, the £5.50 Take on Tikay at 8:30 and the £11 TSP Classic at 10. The smaller bankrolled players also get a chance to play against the top players on this site in both tournies and cash for relatively low stakes, something you would not have the chance to do on other sites. You can't argue with this as a micro player imo.

Obv though sky is a business and needs to keep the higher stakes players happy as well, however if you compare the entry fees for sky's ME's to other sites they still compare favourably.
  • edited November 2010
    At the end of the day i dont think many of the better bankrolled players give a hoot about the rest of us.1 player on this thread has already stated we should maybe play the 8.15 deepy,why? surely we should be able to play a variety of tournies shouldnt we? The ME was the highlight for most of us and now even the sats are alot dearer,xxx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    No1 is stoppng you...??
  • edited November 2010
    The results wont tell the whole story, if u had a 50 quid buy in, and got 1k runners, reduced it to a 50p buy in, u wud still get 1k runners, just a different set of people.

Saying the runners r still up swerves the point that these people are making.

Im not a tourny player, I like to take my shot at winning a decent amount, but not willing to invest to do it. I didn't even enter the primo at £33, as I didn't think it was worth it. Even tho it's a miniscule amount of my bankroll................

So Im kinda inbetween the two points of view here......

What Im confused about is why sky limits itself to a main event per night, when clearly the demand is there for more. The TSP as hit 2k+ the first 2 nights....and it finishes at 1AM!!!!!

Try the same buy in, same structure at 8-30pm, alongside the 8pm. Give it a 4k gtd, and see how it goes. The people who run sky wud be vvvvvv pleasantly surprised. 

If it turns out to have 2k overlay (it wont) for a couple of nights, so be it, it failed, cancel next weeks freerolls.

Tizn't rocket science folks.
  • edited November 2010
    TBH I think the ME is still quite cheap in comparison to all the other sites although out of a lot of people's BR comfort as Dave stated therefore several new sats have been introduced to give everyone an opportunity to play them. For all those that may not sat in there is still worthwhile mtt's available such as the 8.15pm DS for £5.50, that always used to have a great following and if those who fail to play the 8pm play this instead then surely that is a good thing with increased numbers in the Prize pool and do well in these and that sets up an opportunity to play a few 8pm mtt's.  The 10pm TSP classic is also getting a good following and long may that continue, ofc if a similar GTD tournament was introduced earlier in the evening then that would be even better!  I know several players who will not be playing the 8pm every night unless they satellite in, imo these events should be something to be aspired to if they are not reachable atm all of which gives a player a challenge in order to reach if that is what they want. There may come a time where the 8pm gets even more expensive in line with other poker sites, if Sky do this, it will be for a reason and no doubt they would not have done these changes in the first place unless it was achievable and within their business model of where they want the site to sit within the market.  ATM the 8pm mtt's are running great guns and hopefully that will continue, although early doors i agree, if Sky could tweak other tournaments around the 8pm then im sure they also would become succesful. 
    Posted by dylan12

Dylan has got it spot on there.

You wouldn't go to a car show room and see a Porshue 911 and say why can't I have 1 of those? I want to have 1 there fore you need to make it in my price range
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by debdobs_67
    a grees with debs on this one. has sky forgotten its people like us who have helpt to make this tourney popula too. not just the big bankrollers
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out : Dylan has got it spot on there. You wouldn't go to a car show room and see a Porshue 911 and say why can't I have 1 of those? I want to have 1 there fore you need to make it in my price range
    Posted by FlashFlush

i think thats a bit of an unfair comparison....the ME tournie was £11 bar 2 nights and its increased by 100pc so I can see why people are annoyed.

i  also think that there is a gap for a decent GTD £11 tournie at the same time slot so Sky need to look into this so people are happy. 

i dont think the BI is the problem here, i think that a lot of people are annoyed now that they can't invest £11 to look at a return of £1kplus....there are a few other tournies that are decent but they don't offer that kind of return.

Sky are very very good at listening to its customers when it comes to the tournie schedule and I'm sure that they will find a balance soon.
  • edited November 2010
    The results wont tell the whole story, if u had a 50 quid buy in, and got 1k runners, reduced it to a 50p buy in, u wud still get 1k runners, just a different set of people. Saying the runners r still up swerves the point that these people are making. Im not a tourny player, I like to take my shot at winning a decent amount, but not willing to invest to do it. I didn't even enter the primo at £33, as I didn't think it was worth it. Even tho it's a miniscule amount of my bankroll................ So Im kinda inbetween the two points of view here...... What Im confused about is why sky limits itself to a main event per night, when clearly the demand is there for more. The TSP as hit 2k+ the first 2 nights....and it finishes at 1AM!!!!! Try the same buy in, same structure at 8-30pm, alongside the 8pm. Give it a 4k gtd, and see how it goes. The people who run sky wud be vvvvvv pleasantly surprised.  If it turns out to have 2k overlay (it wont) for a couple of nights, so be it, it failed, cancel next weeks freerolls. Tizn't rocket science folks.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    THIS,THIS,THIS
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out : Dylan has got it spot on there. You wouldn't go to a car show room and see a Porshue 911 and say why can't I have 1 of those? I want to have 1 there fore you need to make it in my price range
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Your comparison here is WAY off the mark,as we USED to be able to play the ME didnt we?
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
    and if it wasn't for all those factory workers the rich wouldnt have one to buy ether
  • edited November 2010
    I agree with most who have replied on here, we have a choice, we can satelite, we can play other tourny's against good players etc etc.
    My point is, there was a guarantee to these 8pm mtt's and the buy in was reasonable, there wasn't (as i remember) a shortfall in players compared to the guarantee (im sure there is a word for this) so it gave average players a chance to win a decent prize, even cashing at the end of 4-5 hrs was worth shouting about.
    Will the 8pm's become only for the big bankroll players with fewer players?
    This was and still is, atm, a community site, will this change how the average players percieve SKY POKER?
    I hope not...
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by debdobs_67
    I take that as me then.
    Why? Because you say you can't afford the 8pm tourney.
    If you can't satellite into the 8pm then there is an awesome deep stack on at 8.15pm along with other cheaper BI tournaments. Sky cater for all levels and they have introduced this new structure which will attract even more players to the site once the downloadable gets going.

You mention the better bankrolled players, if they were starting out now, they would not be playing the 8pm and instead would be grinding out a BR as is very sensible and these poker player would then aspire to play the 8pm. If the satellites are also out of reach then play some DYM's etc as Scotty mentioned earlier in the thread to pay for them. Sky have given access to everyone to enter these 8pm tournaments with Q/F sats and Semi sats, all it means is a little bit of extra work, but if that is what it takes then so be it - Sky are not restricting anyone from playing this event. 

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out : Your comparison here is WAY off the mark,as we USED to be able to play the ME didnt we?
    Posted by debdobs_67
    agrees again with debs
  • edited November 2010
    The results wont tell the whole story, if u had a 50 quid buy in, and got 1k runners, reduced it to a 50p buy in, u wud still get 1k runners, just a different set of people. Saying the runners r still up swerves the point that these people are making. Im not a tourny player, I like to take my shot at winning a decent amount, but not willing to invest to do it. I didn't even enter the primo at £33, as I didn't think it was worth it. Even tho it's a miniscule amount of my bankroll................ So Im kinda inbetween the two points of view here...... What Im confused about is why sky limits itself to a main event per night, when clearly the demand is there for more. The TSP as hit 2k+ the first 2 nights....and it finishes at 1AM!!!!! Try the same buy in, same structure at 8-30pm, alongside the 8pm. Give it a 4k gtd, and see how it goes. The people who run sky wud be vvvvvv pleasantly surprised.  If it turns out to have 2k overlay (it wont) for a couple of nights, so be it, it failed, cancel next weeks freerolls. Tizn't rocket science folks.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol love it

edit - obv dnt cancel league stars freeroll though ;-)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out : i think thats a bit of an unfair comparison....the ME tournie was £11 bar 2 nights and its increased by 100pc so I can see why people are annoyed. i  also think that there is a gap for a decent GTD £11 tournie at the same time slot so Sky need to look into this so people are happy.  i dont think the BI is the problem here, i think that a lot of people are annoyed now that they can't invest £11 to look at a return of £1kplus....there are a few other tournies that are decent but they don't offer that kind of return. Sky are very very good at listening to its customers when it comes to the tournie schedule and I'm sure that they will find a balance soon.
    Posted by scotty77
    Thats what i was trying to say scotty, thanks for explaining it better lol
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Priced out : I take that as me then. Why? Because you say you can't afford the 8pm tourney. If you can't satellite into the 8pm then there is an awesome deep stack on at 8.15pm along with other cheaper BI tournaments. Sky cater for all levels and they have introduced this new structure which will attract even more players to the site once the downloadable gets going. You mention the better bankrolled players, if they were starting out now, they would not be playing the 8pm and instead would be grinding out a BR as is very sensible and these poker player would then aspire to play the 8pm. If the satellites are also out of reach then play some DYM's etc as Scotty mentioned earlier in the thread to pay for them. Sky have given access to everyone to enter these 8pm tournaments with Q/F sats and Semi sats, all it means is a little bit of extra work, but if that is what it takes then so be it - Sky are not restricting anyone from playing this event. 
    Posted by dylan12
    thats what im gonna do, im happy at what sky have done to the m.e,so me BR does,nt cover the m.e so im gonna have work harder and start improving my game to get a bigger BR so i can play the m.e untill that time ill play within my limits,theres still plenty smaller BI tourneys to play and if i dont like whats there ill play cash
    as long as im playing cards im happy...cards ftw...
  • edited November 2010

I have enjoyed playing the 8pm games for a while now.

But unforunately will not be paying the hugely inflated new entry fees.

How can sky justify an increase of £22 to play in the Primo? IMO it's just a greed thing on the part of SKY. They have seen how popular these tourneys have become, and now they want to see how much money they can squeeze out of their loyal poker players.

Come on Sky how about something for the loyal players who simply cannot afford the new prices?

• edited November 2010
    I wish people would think about it for a second. How is sky putting the entry fee up really squeezing more money out of their players? Sure, it makes them more- it also makes the players more. Instead of having to scrape through 500 runners for a 15k prizepool, getting through a 300 runner field now achieves the same thing. That higher buyin is going straight into the prizepool.

I think the one thing sky have been missing, badly, is larger guarantees- there's loads of small guarantees everywhere, but very few high ends. Now you have the ME for the big players, the 9:30 BH and 10:00 TSP for a smaller investment. Add in a good 2k gtd 11 buyin at 7/7:30 and you're laughing- I bet that would get a large field.

On that topic, anyone thought of raising the gtd on the 9:30? I mean, it always tops 200 runners, minimum, and quite often hits as high as 250- raising that to 1500 or even 2k guaranteed would be literally zero risk and 100% reward.

I doubt I'll be playing MEs that I can't satellite into (apart from one or two during the week, perhaps) but I love the changes- now when I do play the ME, the higher buyin dictates a smaller field, and hopefully a slightly higher level of play. It's a great move in the right direction, and I look forward to being rolled enough to comfortably enter them as I please.