You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

rebuys

edited November 2010 in Poker Chat
sky you have to get rid of tourneyrebuys it's ruining the site i'm affraid

Comments

• edited November 2010
    MAX , YOU THERE ??
  • edited November 2010
    lol + 1 maybe the odd rebuy keep wanting to enter ideal tourney time/day and its a rebuy so dont bother played 1 the other days just rewards donks imo
  • edited November 2010
    Why would you NOT want rebuys? It gives the better players a bigger edge, its like reloading on a cash table.

REBUYS FTW!!!
  • edited November 2010

No comment without my solicitor.....:)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys:
    No comment without my solicitor.....:)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    THINK ITS ABOUT TIME WE HAD A REBUY STRATEGY SECTION
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : THINK ITS ABOUT TIME WE HAD A REBUY STRATEGY SECTION
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Excellent idea!! My 1st tip is......

DON'T PLAY THEM!!!!!!.....

Are you trying to get my started pill?? lol :)......and relax.
  • edited November 2010
    I must admit, I am not a fan of rebuys, a lot depends on the table you are on, yes it is posssible to out play your opo,s, but, when you get on a table like I did in the last 2 when you get a player, every hand all in, so obv, I wait til I get a big hand, and think right sunshine, gotya, I call, and they hit 2 pair and I cant rebuy, then yes its fantastic, NOT.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Excellent idea!! My 1st tip is...... DON'T PLAY THEM!!!!!!..... Are you trying to get my started pill?? lol :)......and relax.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    DEEP BREATHS MY FRIEND , DEEP BREATHS
  • edited November 2010
    know what your saying flash but gives the donks a chance, you have to knock em out about 3 times at least before there gone, personally i try not to play them and i can gurantee whatever the rebuy is will get 5 x as much people playing them if it wasnt a rebuy

• edited November 2010
    Why would you NOT want rebuys? It gives the better players a bigger edge, its like reloading on a cash table. REBUYS FTW!!!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Why would better players want a bigger edge?. My thoughts are,that cash games are just that,all about cash,while imo, tournament play is totally different, of course it's great to win money, but again imo winning a tourny gives you more ie, excitement etc,perhaps even a sense of achievement, it certainly gives me (on the rare,very rare occasion) a great buzz,it's not always about money,and quite simply that is why rebuys are 'all' about just money.                                                Kind regards
  • edited November 2010

Rebuys will continue, as will Freezeouts. Jack Spratt & his wife, & all that. They have not "ruined" the site, they have enhanced it, as some players do like them, & many lobbied for them.

It's an odd thing that those who do not like them, & are not obliged to play them, complain, whereas those who enjoy Rebuys never complain about Freezeouts. Poker players take some pleasing, as I've learned over many years, but it's fun trying!

I was anti-rebuy for over 10 years, but the way Sky Poker have structured the Rebuys & Add-Ons is superb, & my cash ratio in their Rebuys is good. I shall continue to play both Freezeouts & Rebuys, & I won't complain if others don't like them. After all, we are all entitled to play what we want, & I'd never dream of pouring cold water on those who enjoy different things to me.
  • edited November 2010
    I will play re-buys but I dont re-buy but when someone does I like to think that is more in the prize pot for me to win! :)
  • edited November 2010
    "Why would better players want a bigger edge?."

I'm not sure if this is a serious question? Think what flash is saying, is that in terms of bankroll management, you should treat for example an £11 rebuy tournament, like you would a £33 freezeout. Meaning you should be prepared to spend at least £33 buying chips, in order to compete and give yourself the best chance of winning. 

If you have up to "3 lives", there's more chance of the best players coming through and being successful. There is less variance, ad if you check the main event results from the previous night as I do, you regularly see more of the better players cashing on the friday night rebuy tourny, than any other night.

Not because they have more money to rebuy, but they have more time to outplay their opponents, as they can rebuy after a suck out, and with more chips in play per person, the average stack is deeper.

From a personal point of view, the structure in the rebuys is so good, that it puts me off playing. They're hard work, and I know at the end of the tourny Im gonna be up against the best players on sky. I like structures where there's enough time to build a stack, but then which requires a strong aggressive game in the later stages, without becoming a lottery. Think this suits me the best, and the rebuys and deepstacks are abit too slow for me. That's why I don't play them.

There's easier ways to make money online on a friday night. lol.

• edited November 2010

POTW by Dohhh, who sums the debate up beautifully.

I can't resist good structures, & that's what the Rebuys give me - superbly playable structures.

My fave Tourney of the week is now the Friday ME Rebuy, & I cash in it almost every time I play it. I have worked out a strategy to maximise my play in these, & it works for me. In fact, I'm extremely surprised NOT to cash in it - it's that good.

But I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, & that's coolio. I don' mind people disliking them, not at all, but I find it rather sad they they object to them just because they don't like them. It's not like I object to Freezeouts!

Each to their own works for me.
  • edited November 2010
    Rebuys will continue, as will Freezeouts. Jack Spratt & his wife, & all that. They have not "ruined" the site, they have enhanced it, as some players do like them, & many lobbied for them. It's an odd thing that those who do not like them, & are not obliged to play them, complain, whereas those who enjoy Rebuys never complain about Freezeouts. Poker players take some pleasing, as I've learned over many years, but it's fun trying! I was anti-rebuy for over 10 years, but the way Sky Poker have structured the Rebuys & Add-Ons is superb, & my cash ratio in their Rebuys is good. I shall continue to play both Freezeouts & Rebuys, & I won't complain if others don't like them. After all, we are all entitled to play what we want, & I'd never dream of pouring cold water on those who enjoy different things to me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think me and you Tikay will always 'differ' over our views on rebuys and, as such, was not surprised no one from Sky Poker decided to offer a comment on my super six rebuy thread from last week. I understand the reasoning behind rebuys but I am still adamant that no matter what all the so called experts say, they are not great IMHO for solid tournament play. That is by the by and I will give up trying to flog a dead horse with you on this. Lets just agree to disagree and move on hey :).
    I will just question the above statement though as I never saw ANYONE 'lobbying' for rebuys and have been active on this forum for over a year so that sentence puzzled me slightly TBH.
    I honestly feel that late registration and H4H would of been more beneficial to us, the paying customers, than rebuys which seem more beneficial to Sky Poker. Yet again, just my opinion and hope you see my 'debating' line sometimes and not tar all my posts like these as just 'complaints'.

Regards, as always,

Alan x
  • edited November 2010
    hi all, I wasn't a fan of rebuys at 1st, i only play them live n they were not my cup of tea , but i have 2 say the friday rebuy me is now my fav try on sky coz there so many chips in play it now play so deep which cant be a bad thing

Michael

• edited November 2010
    I will play re-buys but I dont re-buy but when someone does I like to think that is more in the prize pot for me to win! :)
    Posted by Donut64

+1 I do the same cause of my BRM i tend to play the Freerolls & £1-10 buy-in the only time i rebuy tho is if i'm running very good in freeroll then i buy 6000 chips for 50p as i would be going for the win  as for the £1-10 i either cash or don't with no rebuy
  • edited November 2010
    interesting dohhhh i have never thought of it like that, you say some of the good players and they beat variance that way you could be right i was on one on friday and he rebought a few times and was using it to his advantage as done well where as personally i dont want to rebuy in £5.50 tourney as its not good for my bankroll. Rebuys tend to push tournaments towards the cash bracket where the higher players have plenty they can rebuy and give themselves better chance where as poor lil me has 1 live so in the respect rewards donks and better players with higher bankrolls. I will now think of it as you have said though jj and give myself 3 attempts and make sure im prepared to lose that

still leaning on maxally/alan's side of view but as you say each to their own. prefer take on tikay non rebuy but you cant please everyone and i can understand why you have them as they do well and must be good for sky

Regards
    John
  • edited November 2010
    I agree with DOHH.. and TK's posts.

I read on another forum the other day that you should treat a re-buy as 7 times the original buy-in. I don't think that is necessarily true on Skypoker as a lot of people seem to be reluctant to re-buy (which means if you have re-bought 3 or 4 times you need to get well into the cash to break even) but my guess is that you need to commit 5 times buy-in before you start. There is no reason why you shouldn't have 7k (2k+2k+3k) in chips once it goes into freezout i.e. lots of chips to play with!

It surprises me that people will try to keep onto their starting stack - you will just be bullied by anyone who plays the re-buy in the right way plus there are so many who don't do the add-on and I think it is almost mandatory to do so (3K chips for the price of 2K). I will add-on even if I am chip leader at the end of the re-buy period as it might make all the difference if somebody sucks out on you later.

I also think it's a great test of changing your speed during a tourney i.e. play lots of hands during the re-buy period given the correct odds (i.e. even though you know you don't have the best hand) and tighten up enourmously right after it turns into a freezeout.

It's amazing how, if you've been loose during the re-buy period, that during the freezout somebody tight will go all-in with a hand like A9 against your raise thinking you will have nothing. Great.

Saying all those +ve's - I don't think the speed/scary re-buys work as well as towards the end of the re-buy hour the re-buy is such a small multiple of the BB.

Multi-tabling when one is a re-buy doesn't work for me and is why I don't play the 9pm tourney as much as I'd like.

Cheers,

Ian
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : I think me and you Tikay will always 'differ' over our views on rebuys and, as such, was not surprised no one from Sky Poker decided to offer a comment on my super six rebuy thread from last week. I understand the reasoning behind rebuys but I am still adamant that no matter what all the so called experts say, they are not great IMHO for solid tournament play. That is by the by and I will give up trying to flog a dead horse with you on this. Lets just agree to disagree and move on hey :). I will just question the above statement though as I never saw ANYONE 'lobbying' for rebuys and have been active on this forum for over a year so that sentence puzzled me slightly TBH. I honestly feel that late registration and H4H would of been more beneficial to us, the paying customers, than rebuys which seem more beneficial to Sky Poker. Yet again, just my opinion and hope you see my 'debating' line sometimes and not tar all my posts like these as just ' complaints'. Regards, as always, Alan x
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes, we will Alan, but so what, we have a differing view, it's not a crime. I do find it rather unfortunate that you mention your dislike of Rebuy's quite as often as you do. You've made your point, you don't like them, & that's fine, but is it really necessary to labour the point quite so much?

I never saw your Super Six Rebuy thread, hence I never answered, but I doubt I'd answered anyway, as we've had the debate a 100 times already, & your views won't change If I reply yet again. There is NO mandated person from Sky Poker to reply to such questions on here, the route if you wish an official response is Customer Care.

They are good/bad for solid Tourney play? I don't have any argument with either line, & don't recall ever having that debate. I just like to play poker to enjoy myself. So I play what I enjoy, & don't play what I don't. Personally, I think Velocity Tourneys & suchlike are crazy, but I'd never mock, complain about, or deride those who enjoy them. Why would I? I know, I'm an oddbod.....

You never saw anyone lobbying for rebuys? Alan, you need to remember one thing. I don't do porkies, not ever, not for anyone. People asked for rebuys, they asked for lots of things, Omaha, Rebuys, this that & the other. If you don't wish to believe me, or take my word at face value, too bad, I'm not going to search through a zillion Posts to prove my point. I'd prefer you did not suggest I'd be untruthful, please.

Debating is fine, I love it. But repeating the same line over & over again is not exactly debating, imo.

You don't like Rebuys. Fine, whats' the problem? Others do, what's the problem with that? (Rh).

I'll not respond further on your comments as to Rebuys if you don't mind.

Take care now.
  • edited November 2010
    I agree with DOHH.. and TK's posts. I read on another forum the other day that you should treat a re-buy as 7 times the original buy-in. I don't think that is necessarily true on Skypoker as a lot of people seem to be reluctant to re-buy (which means if you have re-bought 3 or 4 times you need to get well into the cash to break even) but my guess is that you need to commit 5 times buy-in before you start. There is no reason why you shouldn't have 7k (2k+2k+3k) in chips once it goes into freezout i.e. lots of chips to play with! It surprises me that people will try to keep onto their starting stack - you will just be bullied by anyone who plays the re-buy in the right way plus there are so many who don't do the add-on and I think it is almost mandatory to do so (3K chips for the price of 2K). I will add-on even if I am chip leader at the end of the re-buy period as it might make all the difference if somebody sucks out on you later. I also think it's a great test of changing your speed during a tourney i.e. play lots of hands during the re-buy period given the correct odds (i.e. even though you know you don't have the best hand) and tighten up enourmously right after it turns into a freezeout. It's amazing how, if you've been loose during the re-buy period, that during the freezout somebody tight will go all-in with a hand like A9 against your raise thinking you will have nothing. Great. Saying all those +ve's - I don't think the speed/scary re-buys work as well as towards the end of the re-buy hour the re-buy is such a small multiple of the BB. Multi-tabling when one is a re-buy doesn't work for me and is why I don't play the 9pm tourney as much as I'd like. Cheers, Ian
    Posted by Doudeau
    Good point Mr Dou, but I disagree with the numbers.

My personal rule with Sky Poker Rebuys is to budget for 4 times the Entry Fee.

That is broken down thusly.....

Entry Fee = 1

Immediate Rebuy = 1

Accident Insurance = 1

Add-On = 1.

In recent weeks, I've amended that to three, by omitting the "Accident Insurance".

I applied a good deal of thought to this (poker players tend to be more sheep than shepherds, but it's good to think things through), & came up with my own strategy.

In essence, I take the Rebuy/Add-on as per Plan B (Omitting the Accident Insurance) & mostly (though not 100% SIT-OUT until after the Add-Ons are completed, only playing Monstas, or "free flops" in my Blinds. At that stage, I have some 60 or 80xBB's, & now, with the Blinds at 50-100 or whatever, I can try to apply my edge (if it exists....) in a well-structured Tourney. As a result, I cash in more Rebuys than I don't.

So, what I'm saying is, THREE times the Buy-in is my yardstick, or rule of thumb. So for  a Tenner rebuy, if I can afford a £30 Freezey, it's much the same thing as to Bankroll.

Either way, good luck whether you play them or not.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Good point Mr Dou, but I disagree with the numbers. My personal rule with Sky Poker Rebuys is to budget for 4 times the Entry Fee. That is broken down thusly..... Entry Fee = 1 Immediate Rebuy = 2 Accident Insurance = 1 Add-On = 1. In recent weeks, I've amended that to three, by omitting the "Accident Insurance". I applied a good deal of thought to this (poker players tend to be more sheep than shepherds, but it's good to think things through), & came up with my own strategy. In essence, I take the Rebuy/Add-on as per Plan B (Omitting the Accident Insurance) & mostly (though not 100% SIT-OUT until after the Add-Ons are completed, only playing Monstas, or "free flops" in my Blinds. At that stage, I have some 60 or 80xBB's, & now, with the Blinds at 50-100 or whatever, I can try to apply my edge (if it exists....) in a well-structured Tourney. As a result, I cash in more Rebuys than I don't. So, what I'm saying is, THREE times the Buy-in is my yardstick, or rule of thumb. So for  a Tenner rebuy, if I can afford a £30 Freezey, it's much the same thing as to Bankroll. Either way, good luck whether you play them or not.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree with your logic but will happily pay the accident insurance if I have given my chips away to players I think will give them back to me sometimes soon. 
  • edited November 2010
    My 2 penneth worth

I hate em - they may be ok at the higher levels to beat variance etc but at lower levels just gives the chancers more than 1 go.

I buy into £1-£3 tourneys not because i prefer em to the Primo etc its just because I cant AFFORD to play in the Primo. So my £2 buy-in is what I can afford, I am not competing on a level playing field as someone else has 4 times that as they can afford to part with 3 buy-ins.

Also promotes this sort of thing (real life example from the other day - my last ever re-buy) - Table is completely nuts ie all in with any better than 109o. I wait patiently for the hand get kk - and get all the chips in to find i'm up against (no lie) 94suited, A2o, 87o & 107 suited (the 107 won)

Even if I could afford to rebuy, why would I want too. Might as well get a lottery ticket!

However I dont think they should be scraped as some people may love em (If we all liked the same things would ba a boring place!) but I will be giving em a wide berth in future.
  • edited November 2010
    My 2 penneth worth I hate em - they may be ok at the higher levels to beat variance etc but at lower levels just gives the chancers more than 1 go. I buy into £1-£3 tourneys not because i prefer em to the Primo etc its just because I cant AFFORD to play in the Primo. So my £2 buy-in is what I can afford, I am not competing on a level playing field as someone else has 4 times that as they can afford to part with 3 buy-ins. Also promotes this sort of thing (real life example from the other day - my last ever re-buy) - Table is completely nuts ie all in with any better than 109o. I wait patiently for the hand get kk - and get all the chips in to find i'm up against (no lie) 94suited, A2o, 87o & 107 suited (the 107 won) Even if I could afford to rebuy, why would I want too. Might as well get a lottery ticket!
    Posted by Ploppy33
    A not unreasonable view, Ploppy, but see my strategy above, I just don't mess with the early chancers, they are deffo "tricky" to negotiate, & as a result, I cash in more than I don't.

But each to their own, & if you don't like them, I agree, it's best if you swerve them.
  • edited November 2010
     I have a very simple answer to the opening post and that is NO.The introduction of any new variant to the norm is always a good thing as long as it doesnt totally replace the original. Diversity is good from the providers side and the consumers side.The more choices we have then the better chance of finding what we want.

I personally have a real hatred for rebuys and fast structure tourneys. All this means is that you wont find me playing in them , whereas others will love these things and will play them.Their existence does not force me to play them and nor do i but instead i find a nice little £2-20 deepstack to while away my time.For me the only real change noticeable will be a movement in numbers playing in each style of these tournys and therefore leaving people in the style of tourny they want playing against others who want to be in that style tourny as well.

On a personal note whilst we are talking about change, i would like to see the PLO and PLO8 tournys being played deeper because i believe they are much better suited to a  larger starting stack and will provide the opportunity for some great play in them.

Sorry for straying there but in general i would just like to say that i am a big fan of the site and for me these changes are only for the good even though they will have no affect on me at all. Good luck on the tables to you all in what ever style of game you play.
  • edited November 2010
    I have to admit that I quite like rebuy tournaments, although I don't play very many of them, and like Tikay I set myself a limit of how many rebuys I will make in a game, Personally I have a maximum of 2 rebuys + the addon.

Having said that, what I don't like is the way Sky have suddenly changed their standard freerolls (Super Six and Fantasy Football), which have been very well supported into rebuys, but I guess those changes are just something that I am going to have to live with.
  • edited November 2010
     I have a very simple answer to the opening post and that is NO.The introduction of any new variant to the norm is always a good thing as long as it doesnt totally replace the original. Diversity is good from the providers side and the consumers side.The more choices we have then the better chance of finding what we want.   I personally have a real hatred for rebuys and fast structure tourneys. All this means is that you wont find me playing in them , whereas others will love these things and will play them.Their existence does not force me to play them and nor do i but instead i find a nice little £2-20 deepstack to while away my time.For me the only real change noticeable will be a movement in numbers playing in each style of these tournys and therefore leaving people in the style of tourny they want playing against others who want to be in that style tourny as well.   On a personal note whilst we are talking about change, i would like to see the PLO and PLO8 tournys being played deeper because i believe they are much better suited to a  larger starting stack and will provide the opportunity for some great play in them.   Sorry for straying there but in general i would just like to say that i am a big fan of the site and for me these changes are only for the good even though they will have no affect on me at all. Good luck on the tables to you all in what ever style of game you play.
    Posted by Talon

+1 to this despite my earlier rant
  • edited November 2010
    I have to admit that I quite like rebuy tournaments, although I don't play very many of them, and like Tikay I set myself a limit of how many rebuys I will make in a game, Personally I have a maximum of 2 rebuys + the addon. Having said that, what I don't like is the way Sky have suddenly changed their standard freerolls (Super Six and Fantasy Football), which have been very well supported into rebuys, but I guess those changes are just something that I am going to have to live with.
    Posted by Kiwini4u

+1 Steve.

looking at the 'tone' of Tikay's response to my earlier post, I will only say this....

If it was say the £22 Monday DS that Sky Poker suddenly changed into a rebuy without prior notification, there would be a lot more 'noise' made on the forum and it would be from the 'larger' BR players which without a doubt would be actioned on. As Super six is mainly for the majority of the smaller BR players, we have to just take it on the chin without repose.

Like people keep reiterating, its a personnel choice of what games we play and where we play them. 
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : A not unreasonable view, Ploppy, but see my strategy above, I just don't mess with the early chancers, they are deffo "tricky" to negotiate, & as a result, I cash in more than I don't. But each to their own, & if you don't like them, I agree, it's best if you swerve them.
    Posted by Tikay10
    So U fold KK here then tikay? - about 25 mins in

What about AA?
  • edited November 2010

You can still play the freerolls for free. 

In a freezeout I saw tikay get it in with a set against a gut shot, (or something where he was an 80% favourite with all the money in on the flop) - The guy hit and he was out.

His analysis - "My fault for getting involved this early"  - I wonder if he actually means that?????  Surely not??