You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

rebuys

2»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys:
    In Response to Re: rebuys : So U fold KK here then tikay? - about 25 mins in What about AA?
    Posted by Ploppy33
    No - as I said, or intended to say (!), I only play Monstas or "free flops" at that stage, so yes, I'd play K-K or A-A for sure.

But I'd play them VERY strongly indeed, & not try to get cute.

The key thing is to adapt our strategy to suit what we are playing, & I adjust my game play in Rebuys considerably, compared to Freezeouts.

In Live Poker, I MUCH prefer Freezeouts, & in fact I refuse to play Live Freezeouts, because I'm not very good at them, in truth, & have not found the "key". So I don't play them.
  • edited November 2010
    You can still play the freerolls for free.  In a freezeout I saw tikay get it in with a set against a gut shot, (or something where he was an 80% favourite with all the money in on the flop) - The guy hit and he was out. His analysis - "My fault for getting involved this early"  - I wonder if he actually means that?????  Surely not??
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sort of, JJ, yes, I did.

It's just how I play, I prefer not to get involved early, as I find it incredibly difficult to play multi-way pots when everyone is calling.

I well recall the hand, in fact, & I mean't what I said. I raised huge Pre, & bet strongly the Flop & turn, but he would not go away, & he rivered his 4-outer. It's best not to lob insults at them when they do this, as over time, we want them to chase. And I really did blame myself for getting involved, as I had enough chips to go on & win the thing. 

I'm swimming against the tide with this view, I well know that, but it works for me, & I'm too old to change my game now. 

Such edge as I may (or may not....) have in Tourneys is in the later stages, as so many people play so badly at that stage, that I found loads of extremely exploitable spots, & in the early stages, I can't find these spots. 

I get more chips from squeezing serial limpers in late stages of Tourneys than anything else, this is both Online, & Live. When the ave stack is, say, 20 x BB, & I find 4 limpers on my Button or BB, they had better know I'm squeezing, most every time, for sure. The ONLY player we need to worry about is the original Limper or min-raiser. A fourth of fifth smooth-caller cannot possibly have a monsta, unless he's seriously bad! 

Each to their own, though. 
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Sort of, JJ, yes, I did. It's just how I play, I prefer not to get involved early, as I find it incredibly difficult to play multi-way pots when everyone is calling. I well recall the hand, in fact, & I mean't what I said. I raised huge Pre, & bet strongly the Flop & turn, but he would not go away, & he rivered his 4-outer. It's best not to lob insults at them when they do this, as over time, we want them to chase. And I really did blame myself for getting involved, as I had enough chips to go on & win the thing.  I'm swimming against the tide with this view, I well know that, but it works for me, & I'm too old to change my game now.  Such edge as I may (or may not....) have in Tourneys is in the later stages, as so many people play so badly at that stage, that I found loads of extremely exploitable spots, & in the early stages, I can't find these spots.  I get more chips from squeezing serial limpers in late stages of Tourneys than anything else, this is both Online, & Live. When the ave stack is, say, 20 x BB, & I find 4 limpers on my Button or BB, they had better know I'm squeezing, most every time, for sure. The ONLY player we need to worry about is the original Limper or min-raiser. A fourth of fifth smooth-caller cannot possibly have a monsta, unless he's seriously bad!  Each to their own, though. 

Posted by Tikay10
    Surely not - lol

I thought u've said any number of times on the telly how we all should keep learning?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Surely not - lol I thought u've said any number of times on the telly how we all should keep learning?
    Posted by Ploppy33
    True, Plops, but between you & me - & let's keep it that way - I'm actually VERY old. Keep that quiet though, eh?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : True, Plops, but between you & me - & let's keep it that way - I'm actually VERY old. Keep that quiet though, eh?
    Posted by Tikay10
    This post has been tagged by Sky News
  • edited November 2010

Behave, Elliot! *

* Or is that "Eliott"?

PS - Should that question mark be inside, or outside, the quotation marks?
  • edited November 2010

tikay is over 100 at last count Ploppy ;)

• edited November 2010
    HI TK , I HAVE SEND YOU A PM CONCERNING THIS THREAD .
  • edited November 2010
    HI TK , I HAVE SEND YOU A PM CONCERNING THIS THREAD .
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Thanks Pilly, I have replied.
  • edited November 2010
    why is everyone making such an issue of this. If you don't like rebuys. don't play them. there, that was easy....:)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : True, Plops, but between you & me - & let's keep it that way - I'm actually VERY old. Keep that quiet though, eh?
    Posted by Tikay10
    My lips are sealed!

You have my sypathies, as I know how u feel with a BIG birthday looming in a couple of weeks :-(
  • edited November 2010
    Alan have you actually played a rebuy on sky yet? I'm not having a go or anything but as everyone keeps saying the structure is great. Treat it as a freezeout if you like, but by the 60 minute mark the blinds are only 50/100 so you still have 20x BB's from your original stack. So treat it like a deepstack and be patient, there are bound to be fish that dont mind a gamble because they will just rebuy. This way as long as your hands hold up you will not need to rebuy/addon.

Rule of thumb on sky with rebuys is if there are 200 runners, there will be roughly 200 rebuys/addons combined, that figure is never far off, so you will effectivly be playing a £22 MTT for only £11 (If that makes sense). As the prizepool has doubled but the number of players is still the same.
  • edited November 2010
    Behave, Elliot! * * Or is that "Eliott"? PS - Should that question mark be inside, or outside, the quotation marks?
    Posted by Tikay10
    You were right the first time. Don't ask me about positions though - I'm rubbish at Geography!

• edited November 2010

Rebuys are great for collecting chips after the addon break from loose (and bad) players who have lucked their way to big stacks.

I have won a rebuy mtt and got deep in others not even rebuying once or adding on!

Patience in a rebuy will always be rewarded.

Rebuys are not everyone's cup of tea, but neither or deepstacks, or sngs, or omaha, or speed tournaments. We have variety and balance on Sky and that is a great thing...

• edited November 2010
    Alan have you actually played a rebuy on sky yet? I'm not having a go or anything but as everyone keeps saying the structure is great. Treat it as a freezeout if you like, but by the 60 minute mark the blinds are only 50/100 so you still have 20x BB's from your original stack. So treat it like a deepstack and be patient, there are bound to be fish that dont mind a gamble because they will just rebuy. This way as long as your hands hold up you will not need to rebuy/addon. Rule of thumb on sky with rebuys is if there are 200 runners, there will be roughly 200 rebuys/addons combined, that figure is never far off, so you will effectivly be playing a £22 MTT for only £11 (If that makes sense). As the prizepool has doubled but the number of players is still the same.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Correct.
  • edited November 2010
    Love this thread every time it regurgitates itself.

Question for the anti-gang.

Your playing in a nice comfy freeze-out. Everything's going swimmingly and you've made some progress. You're 40 minutes into the tournament and you get KK. You end up in a showdown with Mr Loose and and he shows AA ......... and you're out, finished, kaput and deader than a really dead thing. What do you do now? It's only 8 o'clock so what are you going to do?

You can join another mtt, can't you? - Isn't that a bit like rebuying?

* This post is designed specifically to wind-up Max :o)
  • edited November 2010
    Rebuys will continue, as will Freezeouts. Jack Spratt & his wife, & all that. They have not "ruined" the site, they have enhanced it, as some players do like them, & many lobbied for them. It's an odd thing that those who do not like them, & are not obliged to play them, complain, whereas those who enjoy Rebuys never complain about Freezeouts. Poker players take some pleasing, as I've learned over many years, but it's fun trying! I was anti-rebuy for over 10 years, but the way Sky Poker have structured the Rebuys & Add-Ons is superb, & my cash ratio in their Rebuys is good. I shall continue to play both Freezeouts & Rebuys, & I won't complain if others don't like them. After all, we are all entitled to play what we want, & I'd never dream of pouring cold water on those who enjoy different things to me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Apart from the 1 minute roulette one, its 40000/80000 after half an hour with total chips always less than BB, one player on 40000 chips, 3 other players constantly all in and rebuying to get in the top three like a vicious circle they have put in so many rebuys at this stage they all keep going waiting for one to drop out (use all their bankroll up),then its all in after an hour to see who gets paid, just a complete rake rip off of suckers who dont know better who usually are low stake/bankrolled players IMO?
  • edited November 2010
    Love this thread every time it regurgitates itself. Question for the anti-gang. Your playing in a nice comfy freezeout. Everything's going swimmingly and you've made some progress. You're 40 minutes into the tournament and you get KK. You end up in a showdown with Mr Loose and and he shows AA ......... and you're out, finished, kaput and deader than a really dead thing. What do you do now? It's only 8 o'clock so what are you going to do? You can join another mtt, can't you? - Isn't that a bit like rebuying? * This post is designed specifically to wind-up Max :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    WOOF WOOF

ONLY REBUYS FOR ME NOW

MAX,LETS HAVE A LAST LONGER IN A REBUY XXXX
  • edited November 2010
    Love this thread every time it regurgitates itself. Question for the anti-gang. Your playing in a nice comfy freezeout. Everything's going swimmingly and you've made some progress. You're 40 minutes into the tournament and you get KK. You end up in a showdown with Mr Loose and and he shows AA ......... and you're out, finished, kaput and deader than a really dead thing. What do you do now? It's only 8 o'clock so what are you going to do? You can join another mtt, can't you? - Isn't that a bit like rebuying? * This post is designed specifically to wind-up Max :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    Losing to AA not a problem, Losing to A2 is a problem - my issue with the rebuys (i'm talking low stakes here) is that it promotes the mentality of "I'll have a go - I can always rebuy if it doesnt work out". You have to beat these guys 4 times to get rid of em or as tikays says go read a book for an hour.

Freezeouts should (?) IMO promote a more cautious approach & hopefully stop the A2's from calling giving a game that more closely resembles Poker?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Apart from the 1 minute roulette one, its 40000/80000 after half an hour with total chips always less than BB, one player on 40000 chips, 3 other players constantly all in and rebuying to get in the top three like a vicious circle they have put in so many rebuys at this stage they all keep going waiting for one to drop out (use all their bankroll up),then its all in after an hour to see who gets paid, just a complete rake rip off of suckers who dont know better who usually are low stake/bankrolled players IMO?
    Posted by loonytoons
    I was referring to "standard" NLH Freezeouts, & I'm sorry if I never made that clear.

However, I defend the right of anyone to play anything if they so desire. Nobody is forced to play anything.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : I was referring to "standard" NLH Freezeouts, & I'm sorry if I never made that clear. However, I defend the right of anyone to play anything if they so desire. Nobody is forced to play anything.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Im no great fan of these, but i must agree that the format is quite good, and i admit i have played a couple but treat them just like a normal game and dont rebuy, the only bit i hate is the inclusive rake on each rebuy, without this i probably would play more rebuys.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Losing to AA not a problem, Losing to A2 is a problem - my issue with the rebuys (i'm talking low stakes here) is that it promotes the mentality of "I'll have a go - I can always rebuy if it doesnt work out". You have to beat these guys 4 times to get rid of em or as tikays says go read a book for an hour. Freezeouts should (?) IMO promote a more cautious approach & hopefully stop the A2's from calling giving a game that more closely resembles Poker?
    Posted by Ploppy33

i don't understand the logic to this, you get more chances to get your chips in ahead, you should want this type of player to in the tourney as many times as possible..  i personally like the re buy option cos my a2 doesn't hit that often so i can play for longer btw...
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: rebuys : Im no great fan of these, but i must agree that the format is quite good, and i admit i have played a couple but treat them just like a normal game and dont rebuy, the only bit i hate is the inclusive rake on each rebuy, without this i probably would play more rebuys.
    Posted by loonytoons
    Fair point Loony, & we'd all like stuff to be cheaper, it's the way of things, no argument there.

Before I ever played a rebuy here, I thought it through carefully, & eventually justified it to myself this way.

If I play a £30 Freezeout, it costs me £33, which is fair enough.

If a play a tenner Freezeout, with my method of "auto 1 x rebuy & 1 x add-on", it costs me exactly the same - £33.

Once I'd devised a strategy (which I explained earlier), I decided to give them a whirl, & it's turned out to be a great decision for me, though I fully agree, they are not everyone's cup of tea.  

Last Friday's ME £10 + £1 Rebuy paid just under £1,700 to the winner. Which is bad value for someone who had 10 Rebuys, great value for a non-rebuyer, & "normal" for someone like me, who had the 1+1. 

I exited about 16th, I think, for £56, so it worked out OK, though it's a small sample size. But it was cracking fun, & that's my kick.
  • edited November 2010
    there is nothing wrong with having a looser than a loose thing on the table (easy chips ish) the problem i have seen and experienced is when you are sat with 5 of them!!! aint for me , wont shant!!! ps with regards to what do you do next, go play a deep stack where people play "proper poker". disclaimer: this is only my opinion and no way reflects on the thoughts and mentality of sky poker x. i will stand with you maxally!
  • edited November 2010
    Rebuys are great.  I was one who did mentioned that this was needed on Sky ages ago on the forum and was glad that they were introduced.

I also totally agree with Flashflush that the better players will want as big an edge as possible in any tournie, and a rebuy gives you that.  One of my favourite tournies of the week is the TOTTY Friday rebuy, not just cos its a rebuy BTW but it has an excellent structure which puts most FO tournies on here to shame,which to add a brag I have won 3 times, came 2nd once and final tabled on various occasions.  It's cos I have the skills yo.

If you are gonna be playing a rebuy then you need to factor in at least the addon into your BI, so if the tournie is £11 then actually its £22.  I really never understand people who compain that 'utter maniac donks' who play ATC cracked my AA etc.  Surely you want callers with AA etc....also the struture of rebuys mean that its sometimes +ev to play a lot more laggy than usual as you can create an image AND use it to your advantage after you stack off with a pair + gutshot that doesn't get there.

Sky offer a mix of games to suit everyone.  Just take time to look at the schedule and pick the times/days of the ones that you wanna play. 
  • edited November 2010

The sooner the other new "main event" tournys are introduced the better.

Theres no reason why the site should be limited to 1 main event per evening (although if you're being pedantic, only one of the 2 can be the main one)

Im sure 75% of the field who buy directly into the "main, main event" would also play the "not so main, main event" if it is given a good prizepool (£7.70 entry, 4k gtd pp, something like that).

I'm not sure about the logic of announcing the new tournys over a period of time, all at once would have been the best way to go, to stop people moaning, and let us/them get on with enjoying the new games!!!

Sky poker is just waiting to explode into something huge, the only people holding it back, are the people who are running it !!!!!!

• edited November 2010
    maybe they think we couldnt handle all the info at one time dohhhhhhh! and as for the lesser of the main events would that be running at the same time as the main event or would the main event be running after the lesser main event had started making it the lesser and later event!!
  • edited November 2010
    One other thing...the last time I ran deep in the Friday Open rebuy I was at the table with Flashflush with like 10 left.

I was on 3rebuys+addon the night...Flashy was on like 5/6 due to 'having the most ridic table ever and getting it in ahead but being rivered each time'.

He took it down for 1.7k.

Standard open he woulda been gone in level 1, but Flashy is a)rolled for it and b) confident in his ability that he can just keep rebuying as he knowns he is +ev in that field.

• edited November 2010
    Personally I'm not a great fan of rebuys. I play them occasionally but very rarely & that's fine cos that's my choice.

However, the one thing I would say is that there seems to be too many rebuy options in the lobby imo. The majority of the MTT's that I play are in the £2-£5 range & with the exception of the deepies (which I don't often have the time to commit to them) the majority are rebuys which actually gives me little choice.

Like I say, I've nothing against rebuys as such, you pay your money & take your choice but as someone who plays at the stakes I do it would be nice to have that choice.
  • edited November 2010
    Personally I'm not a great fan of rebuys. I play them occasionally but very rarely & that's fine cos that's my choice. However, the one thing I would say is that there seems to be too many rebuy options in the lobby imo. The majority of the MTT's that I play are in the £2-£5 range & with the exception of the deepies (which I don't often have the time to commit to them) the majority are rebuys which actually gives me little choice. Like I say, I've nothing against rebuys as such, you pay your money & take your choice but as someone who plays at the stakes I do it would be nice to have that choice.
    Posted by silentbob
    +1