You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the forum - my 2p worth

2»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth:
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : HI SKY MOD , TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE IRISHROVERS THREAD , GIVING US A CHANCE TO SAY BYE TO CANDI WAS REMOVED LOGDONS THREAD ABOUT  MISSING PERSONS WAS REMOVED ELSADOGS THREAD , ASKING WHY THE MISSING PERSONS THREAD  GOT DELETED,WAS REMOVED TO THE BEST OF MY MEMORY , THERE WAS NO ABUSE/RACISM ETC. IN ANY OF THEM. THIS LOOKED LIKE CENSORSHIP TO ME AND LEFT ME WITH A REALLY BAD FEELING. IM NOT HAVING A POP AT YOU , JUST SHARING MY THOUGHTS.
    Posted by PILLOWMAN
    Absolutely right. It was concerning to me, and someone obviously didn't like forum talk about people leaving ......... big mistake in my opinion. A bit more vigour relating to aggresive PM's and posts would probably have resulted in at least some of those 'leavers' staying. A bit of proactive support to those affected and warnings to the offenders would have prevented some folk being banned too.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : THANK YOU SKYMOD4 I REST MY CASE
    Posted by BADBOY985
    "i rest my case"
    the mod has had the decency to reply to a thread giving details and an explanation of why the forum is "policed" so i see no problem.....its quite easy........you can not swear,abuse,make racist remarks,spam or advertise on the forum,i cant see any problems with that.

on the subject of betting why would sky provide a forum for people to advertise better deals/odds on a competitors site

gl,dave
  • edited November 2010
    +2

Nice to hear from you candi
  • edited November 2010
    Look on most peoples friends list and the first name (the one at the bottom) you will see is Candi. She is/was always the first to welcome new poster's to the forum. She never, as far as I know, put a foot out of place and would be a credit to any forum. Come back Candi, the idiots soon get bored and either leave or shoot themselves in the foot. Sometimes the moderators do get it wrong but it has all been well explained by Rich and Skymod4. Time to rise above it all and start posting again Candi. As far as the forum is concerned, I think it gets tired occasionally, and it's the mixture of new posters and the wit of the regulars that sees it through these periods. We have a unique formula on this forum, with it being based around a complex subject, with experts on hand most of the time, some seriously funny people, and an old sage and his apprentices to keep everyone in order. Like everything in life, it's not perfect, but it's the best forum by miles.
    Posted by elsadog
    Some bloody odd ones too! (me included)

+1 to all of the above, potw.

• edited November 2010

Oh dear some people are missing the point here.

It is about Censorship, not being totally unreasonable with swearing racism bullying etc.

It is suppose to be a forum where we can discuss things and the moderators should action as such.

Not bow to pressure from on high to remove items the hierachy dont like.

It was interesting to see SKY Mod 4 use the sorry word.

Perhaps that should have been used about two weeks ago.

God bless all who post on here

• edited November 2010
    scotty, i here what you are saying it being sky forum sky rules , but surly its as much if not more the communities forum. not much good having a bunch of blank pages filling up your computer screen. the forum is by far and away the best part of sky poker (just in front of the rebuy tournys!!!!!) and with out the good spirit ,help  and sense of humour of 95% of players on here sky poker would be " just another site".
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : "i rest my case" the mod has had the decency to reply to a thread giving details and an explanation of why the forum is "policed" so i see no problem.....its quite easy........you can not swear,abuse,make racist remarks,spam or advertise on the forum,i cant see any problems with that. on the subject of betting why would sky provide a forum for people to advertise better deals/odds on a competitors site gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    The point i was trying to make in the first post was that i feel the orignal common sense policing of the forum has been replaced by the straight beetween the eyes with the rule book approach that seems to be favored now i feel the way skymod4 answered perfectly illustrarted that. the worth a big blind thread went on for over a year with people talking about better odds,better each way terms ect without a word then i got modded to death.
    i have no problems with the rules just the way they are kept and delivered at the moment. the way skyrich answers the questions shows this isnt impossible to do 
  • edited November 2010
    Oh dear some people are missing the point here. It is about Censorship, not being totally unreasonable with swearing racism bullying etc.   It is suppose to be a forum where we can discuss things and the moderators should action as such. Not bow to pressure from on high to remove items the hierachy dont like. It was interesting to see SKY Mod 4 use the sorry word. Perhaps that should have been used about two weeks ago. God bless all who post on here
    Posted by vaigret
    +1 spot on your holliness
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : The point i was trying to make in the first post was that i feel the orignal common sense policing of the forum has been replaced by the straight beetween the eyes with the rule book approach that seems to be favored now i feel the way skymod4 answered perfectly illustrarted that. the worth a big blind thread went on for over a year with people talking about better odds,better each way terms ect without a word then i got modded to death. i have no problems with the rules just the way they are kept and delivered at the moment. the way skyrich answers the questions shows this isnt impossible to do 
    Posted by BADBOY985
    Hi, am I reading this right? You're saying you have a problem with how the rules are enforced and then saying you have no problem with the rules? (Presumably as long as they're not enforced?). Just confused me a bit.

Also reading between the lines in both the opening and this post, would I be right to assume you've had something deleted recently? Perhaps a reference to a competitor of Sky offering a better deal? I never read those threads so I am only guessing, but if that did happen no one can seriously expect Sky to allow posts suggesting better deals elsewhere (?) Again, I'm asking if that happened based on what I've read, not stating that it did :) Just curious.

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : HI SKY MOD , TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE IRISHROVERS THREAD , GIVING US A CHANCE TO SAY BYE TO CANDI WAS REMOVED LOGDONS THREAD ABOUT  MISSING PERSONS WAS REMOVED ELSADOGS THREAD , ASKING WHY THE MISSING PERSONS THREAD  GOT DELETED,WAS REMOVED TO THE BEST OF MY MEMORY , THERE WAS NO ABUSE/RACISM ETC. IN ANY OF THEM. THIS LOOKED LIKE CENSORSHIP TO ME AND LEFT ME WITH A REALLY BAD FEELING. IM NOT HAVING A POP AT YOU , JUST SHARING MY THOUGHTS.
    Posted by PILLOWMAN

+1
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Hi Guys and I hope you are all keeping well I know I said I wouldn`t post here again, but I am sick of this bias. Sky Rich and Co, Take a look at the posts and threads that YOU decide to keep. Then ask yourself this: Why do we Mods keep some of the posts that we do that should indeed be deleted and get rid of those  posts that are ok and should remain.? You do not do it for the good of the community, you do it for the good of the hierachy-period
    Posted by candi

+1 good to see you back hun xx
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Hi, am I reading this right? You're saying you have a problem with how the rules are enforced and then saying you have no problem with the rules? (Presumably as long as they're not enforced?). Just confused me a bit. Also reading between the lines in both the opening and this post, would I be right to assume you've had something deleted recently? Perhaps a reference to a competitor of Sky offering a better deal? I never read those threads so I am only guessing, but if that did happen no one can seriously expect Sky to allow posts suggesting better deals elsewhere (?) Again, I'm asking if that happened based on what I've read, not stating that it did :) Just curious.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    the rules have to be enforced obviously my point was the ambigous and imo somewhat overzealous way in which that is done.
    which you cannot deny reading others points on this thread, pillowman and elsadog put this far more elequantly than me.
    and yes i have had a post deleted but as this thread proves i am not alone
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Hi Guys and I hope you are all keeping well I know I said I wouldn`t post here again, but I am sick of this bias. Sky Rich and Co, Take a look at the posts and threads that YOU decide to keep. Then ask yourself this: Why do we Mods keep some of the posts that we do that should indeed be deleted and get rid of those  posts that are ok and should remain.? You do not do it for the good of the community, you do it for the good of the hierachy-period
    Posted by candi
    great to see you back flossy xx
  • edited November 2010
    Keep posting Candi....hunni ! and the forum imo isn't to far away from being spot on, each moderator has to read any offensive or incendiary thread and make a judgement call there and then, whether they delete or let the thread continue.I'm sure once, a mod who has allowed a thread to continue has then found when he's clocked off, another mod who hasn't necessarily watched the thread develop, see's it ,and deletes a thread that may hav e been alright to another moderator.
  • edited November 2010
    Hey all

I can only comment for me, but, I have never, ever been pressured to delete a thread by anyone.

I think Sky Rich has said that if anyone feels that they have seen something that may have been missed, please send either Sky Rich, or Sky Mod4 a PM and we would be happy to take a look.

It is, as has been said it is possible for one Mod to log off, and another Mod to look at a post and delete it as they seem fit.

Many Thanks

Sky Mod
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Hi, am I reading this right? You're saying you have a problem with how the rules are enforced and then saying you have no problem with the rules? (Presumably as long as they're not enforced?). Just confused me a bit. Also reading between the lines in both the opening and this post, would I be right to assume you've had something deleted recently? Perhaps a reference to a competitor of Sky offering a better deal? I never read those threads so I am only guessing, but if that did happen no one can seriously expect Sky to allow posts suggesting better deals elsewhere (?) Again, I'm asking if that happened based on what I've read, not stating that it did :)Just curious.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    A man dressed as a lady, its not that i find them attractive, its just confusing
  • edited November 2010
    Especially poignant in the run up to Remembrance Sunday and in connection to this thread I would like to paraphrase Conan the Barbarian from an episode of Conan the Adventurer i saw only last night. " There is always a price to pay for freedom ".
    Just to say thanks again to the mods for doing a great job in making that price a small one !
    Also thanks to Noseybonk who appears an eminent logician and expresses clear and concise views of a pertinent nature. How refreshing. He is a boon to this  forum. Well done that man !
  • edited November 2010
    Hey all I can only comment for me, but, I have never, ever been pressured to delete a thread by anyone. I think Sky Rich has said that if anyone feels that they have seen something that may have been missed, please send either Sky Rich, or Sky Mod4 a PM and we would be happy to take a look. It is, as has been said it is possible for one Mod to log off, and another Mod to look at a post and delete it as they seem fit. Many Thanks Sky Mod
    Posted by Sky_Mod4
    I do some moderating on a non poker site.

Unless something is so obviously wrong it has to be deleted we hide the topic, discuss it between the mods in an area the rest of the site can't see and then make a decision from there. At that point the topic can be replaced, 'cleaned up' and then replaced, or permanently deleted and any necessary action taken.

That way we're working as a team rather than a group of individuals.

• edited November 2010
    Especially poignant in the run up to Remembrance Sunday and in connection to this thread I would like to paraphrase Conan the Barbarian from an episode of Conan the Adventurer i saw only last night. " There is always a price to pay for freedom ". Just to say thanks again to the mods for doing a great job in making that price a small one ! Also thanks to Noseybonk who appears an eminent logician and expresses clear and concise views of a pertinent nature. How refreshing. He is a boon to this  forum. Well done that man !
    Posted by shelski
    DEAR SHELSKI

IN YOUR POSTS YOU MENTION
    MORALITY
    DEMOCRACY
    FOR THE COMMEN GOOD
    SPIRIT OF HONESTY
    RESPECTED AND RESPECTFUL
    FOUNDATIONS OF DECENCY

BEAUTIFUL WORDS

WHAT SHOULD ONE DO , IF ONE  BELIEVES THEY HAVE BEEN ABUSED ?

I ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE MODS DO A GREAT JOB IN THE MAIN HERE AND DO LISTEN TO FEED BACK FROM FORUM MEMBERS

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : I do some moderating on a non poker site. Unless something is so obviously wrong it has to be deleted we hide the topic, discuss it between the mods in an area the rest of the site can't see and then make a decision from there. At that point the topic can be replaced, 'cleaned up' and then replaced, or permanently deleted and any necessary action taken. That way we're working as a team rather than a group of individuals.
    Posted by harding10
    Same here and I have previously made this suggestion. Unfortunately at the moment we're rather restricted by the software as it's nowhere near as feature rich as the large dedicated forum packages out there (Eg, UBBThreads, VB). Hopefully in the future the software can be upgraded to allow exactly what you suggested.
  • edited November 2010
    WHAT SHOULD ONE DO , IF ONE  BELIEVES THEY HAVE BEEN ABUSED ? I ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE MODS DO A GREAT JOB IN THE MAIN HERE AND DO LISTEN TO FEED BACK FROM FORUM MEMBERS
    Abuse is a very strong word. If i were to react to a perceived misuse of editorial power then i'd attempt to do it thoughtfully, in a non-reactionary and/or incendiary or emotive way, for fear of offending or degrading the well-meaning intent of said editors. Especially in this instance as there would appear to be a general consensus of the necessity of their work coupled with a belief that it is exercised fairly and correctly.
    In short i think it's wiser to make suggestions or ask a well-phrased question instead of adopting an offensive or accusatory line more in keeping with the paranoid, pseudo-anarchic fantasies of a dysfunctional, hysterical teenager. At the very least it would inject some gravitas and dignity into such a query.
    Maybe i'm just a bit too old-fashioned ? I do find it more constructive and effective though.
    What do you think ?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : WHAT SHOULD ONE DO , IF ONE  BELIEVES THEY HAVE BEEN ABUSED ? I ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE MODS DO A GREAT JOB IN THE MAIN HERE AND DO LISTEN TO FEED BACK FROM FORUM MEMBERS Abuse is a very strong word. If i were to react to a perceived misuse of editorial power then i'd attempt to do it thoughtfully, in a non-reactionary and/or incendiary or emotive way, for fear of offending or degrading the well-meaning intent of said editors. Especially in this instance as there would appear to be a general consensus of the necessity of their work coupled with a belief that it is exercised fairly and correctly. In short i think it's wiser to make suggestions or ask a well-phrased question instead of adopting an offensive or accusatory line more in keeping with the paranoid, pseudo-anarchic fantasies of a dysfunctional, hysterical teenager. At the very least it would inject some gravitas and dignity into such a query. Maybe i'm just a bit too old-fashioned ? I do find it more constructive and effective though. What do you think ?
    Posted by shelski
    lLOL , DYSFUNCTIONAL IS CORRECT . MY BACK SEIZED UP A FEW DAYS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO WASH/SHOWER . WAS JUST ABOUT TO FULFILL MY FANTASY OF HAVING A SHOWER , WHEN THE DARN THING WOULD NOT WORK . SO ,YES IM HYSTERICAL RIGHT NOW .THE ELECTRICIAN IS ON HIS WAY . SO ANY RATIONAL REPLY TO YOUR POST WILL HAVE TO WAIT . ALL I WILL SAY FOR NOW , IS THAT A WISER MAN THEN ME ASKED A QUESTION AND NO REPLY WAS GIVEN.   PS.I WILL SEND YOU A PM LATER
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by PILLOWMAN[/
    Lol not you man. I was referring to posts like the one with giant letters saying " you do it for the good of the hierarchy ".
    Seemed pretty melodramatic to me. They are Sky mods not the Stasi. I think it's unhealthy to view their intervention quite so suspiciously. Endless remarks like " missing people " and " vanishing threads " are quite frankly ridiculous.
    Know what i mean ?
    Sorry to hear of your back problem btw. I wish you a speedy recovery !
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Posted by PILLOWMAN[/ Lol not you man. I was referring to posts like the one with giant letters saying " you do it for the good of the hierarchy ". Seemed pretty melodramatic to me. They are Sky mods not the Stasi. I think it's unhealthy to view their intervention quite so suspiciously. Endless remarks like " missing people " and " vanishing threads " are quite frankly ridiculous. Know what i mean ? Sorry to hear of your back problem btw. I wish you a speedy recovery !
    Posted by shelski
    That's only since Sky_Rich made us put away the thumb screws and stop waterboarding the complainers:))
  • edited November 2010

LOL LOL LOL   DEFFO POST OF THE WEEK CONTENDER

WE DO LOVE YOU SKY MOD4

NOW PLEASE RELEASE THE POLITICAL PRISONERS
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth : Posted by PILLOWMAN[/ Lol not you man. I was referring to posts like the one with giant letters saying " you do it for the good of the hierarchy ". Seemed pretty melodramatic to me. They are Sky mods not the Stasi. I think it's unhealthy to view their intervention quite so suspiciously. Endless remarks like " missing people " and " vanishing threads " are quite frankly ridiculous. Know what i mean ? Sorry to hear of your back problem btw. I wish you a speedy recovery !
    Posted by shelski
    +1
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: the forum - my 2p worth :  Excuse me but was it not you in earlier post that accused and likened Candi to being Hysterical vandal hell bent on wrecking the Forum like Students in the news.?  I think you need to look in the mirror twice.!!  You trying to suck up to the Mods ?  Get some Man bits.!!   That's what I think.?    
    Posted by logdon
    HI ANNIE
    SHELSKI IS DOWN THE PUB
    SO CANNOT DEFEND HIMSELF AT THE MOMENT
    HE HAS ASKED ME TO APOLOGIZE TO CANDI IN PRIVATE
    MAYBE HE WILL APOLOGIZE IN PUBLIC LATER