You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold KK pre flop????

edited November 2010 in The Poker Clinic
in a £33 dym with 5 plyrs left, i have about 3000 chips. comfortable 2nd place... blinds are 50  100. shortie makes it 400, big stack.with about 4000 chips goes all in , iv got KK should i call or just muck it.           just in case you wondered i called and he showed QQ, great i thought until Q came on turn .                                                                               

Comments

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Fold KK pre flop????:
    in a £33 dym with 5 plyrs left, i have about 3000 chips. comfortable 2nd place... blinds are 50  100. shortie makes it 400, big stack.with about 4000 chips goes all in , iv got KK should i call or just muck it.           just in case you wondered i called and he showed QQ, great i thought until Q came on turn .                                                                               
    Posted by CALLANIE
    that should answer your question
  • edited November 2010
    I fold if the shortstacks are very very short. like 2/3 bbs each.

But here it is a call.
  • edited November 2010
    Just had kk I am never folding here!

Pretty brutal cooler though lol.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    deuceman2 Small blind   40.00 40.00 3860.00
    donkeyplop Big blind   80.00 120.00 4465.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

oynutter Fold        
    yidette9 Fold        
    timeforbed Fold        
    antobe Call   80.00 200.00 8010.00
    deuceman2 Raise   280.00 480.00 3580.00
    donkeyplop Raise   1200.00 1680.00 3265.00
    antobe Call   1200.00 2880.00 6810.00
    deuceman2 All-in   3580.00 6460.00 0.00
    donkeyplop All-in   3265.00 9725.00 0.00
    antobe Call   3265.00 12990.00 3545.00
    deuceman2 Show
    • A
    • Q

donkeyplop Show
    • K
    • K

antobe Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

antobe Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s 12990.00   16535.00
  • edited November 2010
    i just run it through my ICM and it said FOLD lol
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop????:
    i just run it through my ICM and it said FOLD lol
    Posted by N1CK
    whats icm ?
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : whats icm ?
    Posted by The_Don90
    Erm yeah whats one of these thingamabobs
  • edited November 2010
    dym its a fold
  • edited November 2010
    Definitely fold in a DYM (definitely a call in any other sort of tournament).

I learned my lesson when I made a similar call with AA while safe in 2nd place, the big stack sucked out on me with JJ, the short stack who'd been in 4th before the hand was absolutely delighted.

In a DYM if you're a comfortable second you do not want to get all-in against the chip leader pre-flop under any circumstances whatsoever. Post flop only if you hold the absolute nuts.
  • edited November 2010
    Definitely fold in a DYM (definitely a call in any other sort of tournament). I learned my lesson when I made a similar call with AA while safe in 2nd place, the big stack sucked out on me with JJ, the short stack who'd been in 4th before the hand was absolutely delighted. In a DYM if you're a comfortable second you do not want to get all-in against the chip leader pre-flop under any circumstances whatsoever. Post flop only if you hold the absolute nuts.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thanks for that gary, i think i learned my lesson there, definitely fold next time..cheers mate
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : whats icm ?
    Posted by The_Don90
    ICM = Independent Chip Model

ICM thinks of your chips as tickets in a lottery and calculates what you could expect to get in prize-money if the remaining part of the tournament was just a lottery.

First it takes your chips and divides them with all the chips in the tournament. This finds how likely it is your win. Then it calculates your chance of getting in the other places, which is a more complex procedure. Then they multiply the chances of getting in the different places by the corresponding prize money for those places and add up. The sum is the value of your chips.

A program called SnG Power Tools uses ICM to calculate what you should do in an all-in situation in single-table tournaments.
  • edited November 2010
    n1ck what are you doing now people might actually stop snapping off 15bb jams with QJ
  • edited November 2010
    n1ck what are you doing now people might actually stop snapping off 15bb jams with QJ
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    hey if you told them they would get struck down by lightning they would still call
  • edited November 2010
    Fold kk pre??

Respect where respect is due!!!

Glitter told me after he had KK,  I'm not that good to get off that i dont think!!

May have telegraphed him & lost value, but just shows the skill of the man!!

My rererere-raise too high meybe, would you call aganst him or meybe overbet all-in, I was happy not to see flop & take a lower pot without him puttin me to a later tough descision, maybe!!

Hand History #305614866 (16:04 07/11/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Slugger123 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £42.04
    EVILEDNA Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £87.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

sam1986 Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £285.90
    rizo575 Call   £3.00 £7.50 £84.40
    GliterBabe Raise   £10.00 £17.50 £293.91
    HITMAN_RV Raise   £25.00 £42.50 £203.51
    Slugger123 Fold        
    EVILEDNA Fold        
    sam1986 Fold        
    rizo575 Fold        
    GliterBabe Raise   £40.00 £82.50 £253.91
    HITMAN_RV Raise   £100.00 £182.50 £103.51
    GliterBabe Fold        
    HITMAN_RV Muck        
    HITMAN_RV Win   £107.50   £211.01
    HITMAN_RV Return   £75.00 £0.00 £286.01
  • edited November 2010
    given that it was a dym and you were in a comfortable position it would be a fold for me. not folding in cash or tourney though.
  • edited November 2010
    Fold kk pre?? Respect where respect is due!!! Glitter told me after he had KK,  I'm not that good to get off that i dont think!! May have telegraphed him & lost value, but just shows the skill of the man!! My rererere-raise too high meybe, would you call aganst him or meybe overbet all-in, I was happy not to see flop & take a lower pot without him puttin me to a later tough descision, maybe!! Hand History #305614866 (16:04 07/11/2010) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Slugger123 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £42.04 EVILEDNA Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £87.00   Your hole cards A A       sam1986 Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £285.90 rizo575 Call   £3.00 £7.50 £84.40 GliterBabe Raise   £10.00 £17.50 £293.91 HITMAN_RV Raise   £25.00 £42.50 £203.51 Slugger123 Fold         EVILEDNA Fold         sam1986 Fold         rizo575 Fold         GliterBabe Raise   £40.00 £82.50 £253.91 HITMAN_RV Raise   £100.00 £182.50 £103.51 GliterBabe Fold         HITMAN_RV Muck         HITMAN_RV Win   £107.50   £211.01 HITMAN_RV Return   £75.00 £0.00 £286.01
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    you let him get away from that, i would jam over his £40 raise
  • edited November 2010
    if you 6bet jam preflop vs GB hes still folding KK 200+bb deep because he knows his own image. i would just flat his 5bet
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    Its a mistake for gliterbabe to 5bet then fold imo.
  • edited November 2010
    200bb deep you should be flatting the 5bet edit GB has such a narrow range he aint gonna be doing that with 67s etc so really very very few flops should worry you.
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by yb
    i agree and i think 6bet shove is the best option the small 6bet raise looks super strong, if GB wants to turn his KK into a bluff preflop then...................................
  • edited November 2010
    Posted by yb
    Disagree, I think the 5bet saved him money.  GB is already narrowing down RV's range and does a click raise to find out if it is aces.  If you can 6bet without aces and do not have a reputation as a maniac more power to you.

If GB flats then any dryish flop Qhigh and lower comes down is he folding a flop jam?

Back to the OP, it's a fold in a DYM but it's vital to know all of the stack sizes when deciding, particularly the player in 4th place as it stands.
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Disagree, I think the 5bet saved him money.  GB is already narrowing down RV's range and does a click raise to find out if it is aces.  If you can 6bet without aces and do not have a reputation as a maniac more power to you. If GB flats then any dryish flop Qhigh and lower comes down is he folding a flop jam? Back to the OP, it's a fold in a DYM but it's vital to know all of the stack sizes when deciding, particularly the player in 4th place as it stands.
    Posted by TommyD
    Firstly if gliter calls pot will be ~£57 with £200 behind so I don't think hitman is shoving the flop tbh. Raising to find out where you are is always pretty bad imo, you allow people to play perfectly against you and be exploited. Whereas if you're not willing to get it in pre you can call the 4bet and play pokers, then re-evaluate based on board texture/oppo's betting pattern etc. Also in general this allows you to play against a wider range which your hand will fair better against, but here I really really doubt hitman's cold 4betting range is going to be much different to his 6betting range (if at all) so I think that makes the 5bet to ask the question pointless.
  • edited November 2010
    in hindsight glitters fold was legendary! although not good long term taking that line

as for fold kings pre never unless DYM and that depends on stack sizes etc , i had kings yesterday in £5 sit n go big stack raises, im 2nd-3rd, 4 left i shove, short stack 69 big stack AQ biggy calls hits 2 aces on flop standard :-)
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Disagree, I think the 5bet saved him money.  GB is already narrowing down RV's range and does a click raise to find out if it is aces.  If you can 6bet without aces and do not have a reputation as a maniac more power to you. If GB flats then any dryish flop Qhigh and lower comes down is he folding a flop jam? Back to the OP, it's a fold in a DYM but it's vital to know all of the stack sizes when deciding, particularly the player in 4th place as it stands.
    Posted by TommyD

he is turning KK into a bluff preflop. this is never good.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Firstly if gliter calls pot will be ~£57 with £200 behind so I don't think hitman is shoving the flop tbh. Raising to find out where you are is always pretty bad imo, you allow people to play perfectly against you and be exploited. Whereas if you're not willing to get it in pre you can call the 4bet and play pokers, then re-evaluate based on board texture/oppo's betting pattern etc. Also in general this allows you to play against a wider range which your hand will fair better against, but here I really really doubt hitman's cold 4betting range is going to be much different to his 6betting range (if at all) so I think that makes the 5bet to ask the question pointless.
    Posted by yb
    If you call the 4bet you are looking at a pot committing situation on the flop.  The majority of flops will obviously not have a King or an Ace.  So what's our plan?  Are we leading out with a 40 bet which will be greeted with either a shove or a pot committing raise?  Or are we checking to the raiser with the intention to going over the top or calling down?  Do we get it all in on a ten high flop and say 'that's poker?'  Or are you going to check/fold on a low flop where RV C-bets nearly every time?  A flop with an Ace or King, or a triple suited/run down flop plays totally differently but this won't happen that much.  Whatever happens unless you are check/folding to a decent C-Bet (an awful play IMO) you are dropping more money than the 15 quid you've used in the 5bet, so how has he not saved money in this instance?

Hitman's 4bet range is different to his 6bet range at this level against this player IMO.  The 4bet range is narrow, the 6bet range is paper thin.

You mention betting to find out where you are allows you to be exploited.  No decent player (which of course includes GB and RV) have a static attitude to their play.  They adjust and develop with their history with each other.  For instance, if Hitman decides to throw more 6bets at GB than he has done before GB will notice, think to himself 'that's because of those Kings I folded' and adjust his perception of his range accordingly.

I'm not saying 5bet folding with Kings is a great play against the field, the hand and indeed the fold is very player specific and by no means a standard hand.
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Firstly if gliter calls pot will be ~£57 with £200 behind so I don't think hitman is shoving the flop tbh. Raising to find out where you are is always pretty bad imo, you allow people to play perfectly against you and be exploited. Whereas if you're not willing to get it in pre you can call the 4bet and play pokers, then re-evaluate based on board texture/oppo's betting pattern etc. Also in general this allows you to play against a wider range which your hand will fair better against, but here I really really doubt hitman's cold 4betting range is going to be much different to his 6betting range (if at all) so I think that makes the 5bet to ask the question pointless.
    Posted by yb
    i totally agree with your theory here, but if GB 5 bet with the intention of calling a shove then i think its a great bet he was allowed to get away from this imo by a bad 6 bet by RV, im going to give GB credit here unless he tells me otherwise lol
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : i totally agree with your theory here, but if GB 5 bet with the intention of calling a shove then i think its a great bet he was allowed to get away from this imo by a bad 6 bet by RV, im going to give GB credit here unless he tells me otherwise lol
    Posted by N1CK
    Yah thats possible, I still think 5betting to get it in with KK is a mistake though given the players involved and how deep they are. I mean both their ranges from the cold 4bet onwards contain only AA and KK like 99% of the time lol.
  • ybyb
    edited November 2010
    Tommy the answers to most of your questions in the first paragraph are obviously totally villain dependent. He saved money as opposed to 7bet shoving in this case but that doesn't mean that 5bet folding is the correct play as like lolraise says we are essentially turning KK into a bluff pre which isn't good. Raising to ask questions does allow you to be exploited as assuming for a second that all the 'answers' you get are accurate, you don't win any extra money when you're in front and lose extra money when you're behind. Btw I'm pretty sure the 5bet is a raise of 25 not 15.

Also what hands are in hitman's cold 4betting range that aren't in his 6betting range do you think? 4betting AK/QQ in this spot is a pretty big mistake imo.

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Yah thats possible, I still think 5betting to get it in with KK is a mistake though given the players involved and how deep they are. I mean both their ranges from the cold 4bet onwards contain only AA and KK like 99% of the time lol.
    Posted by yb
    Are you seriously quoting TJ Coutier by saying the fourth raise is always aces or kings?

BTW, I did make a mistake with the amount on the 5bet, it was 25 extra

BTW, I'd love it if GB actually had junk and was trying to take Hitman off a hand so he just blagged he had Kings to maintain his image, he'll be chuckling about this thread if that's so.

• ybyb
    edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Are you seriously quoting TJ Coutier by saying the fourth raise is always aces or kings? And I did make a mistake in my earlier post, the bet was 25 pounds. BTW, I'd love it if GB actually had junk and was trying to take Hitman off a hand so he just blagged he had Kings to maintain his image, he'll be chuckling about this thread if that's so.
    Posted by TommyD
    Against a lag 100bbs deep, no. In this situation it nearly always is.

And gb has that image for a reason lol!

• edited November 2010
    In Response to Re: Fold KK pre flop???? : Against a lag 100bbs deep, no. In this situation it nearly always is. And gb has that image for a reason lol!
    Posted by yb
    I know lol  Still a lovely thought though.

I think QQ would sneak into his 4bet range and AK might but is quite doubtful.  Outside of GB and RV it looks like a laggy table and RV might think GB is 3betting wider than his normal range.