You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tricky turn decision at.25/.50

2»

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Wait, wait, wait....so all of you guys playing AK like nits - what exactly are you hoping for? To hit your Ace or King and the other guy to fold to your flop bet? Or for a miracle board of 2,4,8 rainbow that you can then push him off since he's likely whiffed it? If so, why not just raise bigger pf and end the hand there and then and not rely on the flop being kind? (protip - it is never kind in these spots) I guess you can stick a tenner in or bosh it ALL in, right? Saves you nitty lot a heap of supposedly "tricky" decisions later on, right?

All this "oh you can't POSSIBLY think your TPTK is good here" is weapons grade BALONIUM. You play AK to hit an A and get paid by someone playing a lesser A. He is likely making this bet with all kinds of hands from a flush draw to a pair of Kings or Queens or even a pair of tens or a worse ace. You've played it weak, so he doesn't have to have much of anything here to make this move. He could also have AK and AQ a lot of the time. He's playing AJ to a rr pf, but it's not a big reraise and he has position. You can indeed put him on a stack of hands that have you beat - but you can also find plenty of spots where you have him crushed in a vice.

He got lucky with the turn, then you got re-lucky with the river. Two guys playing big aces and their hands colliding in the blinds - there's a giant flashing neon sign here and it reads like this : S-T-A-N-D-A-R-D
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: tricky turn decision at.25/.50:
    Flop: The £7 flop bet is a standard c-bet and though it states 'I've got an ace' it doesn't necessarily mean anything. When this is smooth called this is a mistake. The AJ should have raised to say 'I don't know about you, but I've definitely got an ace'. If re-raised, the button has got to consider his kicker and let it go.
    Posted by BigBluster
    you shouldnt do this. All youre doing is making the hand easier to play for him. He shoves all his better hands and folds all his worse hands. So you win no money from your raise when you have the best hand and you lose money all the times he has you beat. So overall a losing play.

Its also terrible for range balancing as you would never raise this flop as a bluff.
  • edited June 2009
    I know Themackem, and he always has the AK beat on that turn shove. But like you say huuuuuuuuuuuuuuume you dont have the history on him...

Nonetheless, you brought that decision on yourself by not betting out on the turn so like youngun says you can get away to a reraise. 

i also like Themackem's bet to "take the pot down" due to the dangerous board.

Interesting stuff. 

• edited June 2009
    i think it is a bad turn bet by themackem. by shoving the turn he is only going to get called by hands that beat him and all weaker hands will fold (except in this situation - but the AK should have folded).

i also don't understand themackem's explanation for the bet.

he says he knows he is miles ahead in which case he should try to get value out of the hand and not shut the hero out.

he then says that he was worried about the hero having a str8 or flush draw in which case he is not miles ahead.

• edited June 2009
    Wait, wait, wait....so all of you guys playing AK like nits - what exactly are you hoping for? To hit your Ace or King and the other guy to fold to your flop bet? Or for a miracle board of 2,4,8 rainbow that you can then push him off since he's likely whiffed it? If so, why not just raise bigger pf and end the hand there and then and not rely on the flop being kind? (protip - it is never kind in these spots) I guess you can stick a tenner in or bosh it ALL in, right? Saves you nitty lot a heap of supposedly "tricky" decisions later on, right? All this "oh you can't POSSIBLY think your TPTK is good here" is weapons grade BALONIUM . You play AK to hit an A and get paid by someone playing a lesser A. He is likely making this bet with all kinds of hands from a flush draw to a pair of Kings or Queens or even a pair of tens or a worse ace. You've played it weak, so he doesn't have to have much of anything here to make this move. He could also have AK and AQ a lot of the time. He's playing AJ to a rr pf, but it's not a big reraise and he has position. You can indeed put him on a stack of hands that have you beat - but you can also find plenty of spots where you have him crushed in a vice. He got lucky with the turn, then you got re-lucky with the river. Two guys playing big aces and their hands colliding in the blinds - there's a giant flashing neon sign here and it reads like this : S-T-A-N-D-A-R-D
    Posted by T_Force
    dont know u but wot a post!
  • edited June 2009
    DO U PAIR WANT THE BOXING GLOVES ON IL REF............ QUEEENSBERRY RULES WATCH YA LOW KIDNEY PUNCHES AND NO RABBIT PUNCHES, LAYYYYYYYYYYDDDDDIEEEEEESSSS ANNNNNDDDD GEEEENTTTTTTTLEMMMMEN WELCOME TO THE MAIN EVENT OF THE EVENING LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTSSSS GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAADDDDYYYY TOOOO RUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Posted by mickjenn1
    wow