You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I thought this was community of support not ridicule?

edited December 2010 in Poker Chat
I thought that sky poker was suppose to be a supportive enviroment?
I play for fun and this week managed to get to the final table in the Primo - my first on this site

So you can understand why I am not happy with Ed's comments about my play and taking bets with Lisa Marie as to where I will finish. I am happy to take constrive critisms anyday of the week, but Ed and his comments actually put me on tilt. I am not a pro poker player, I dont profess to be, however I feel it is important to support your community not ridicule them.

I liked this site prior to this and yes he had some valid comments about calling bets when I was behind but I had over 200, 000 in chips and was enjoying just playing.

Disappointed is not the word

Gizmotravis

Comments

• edited December 2010

Wd on your good finish in Primo

I did not watch the show tonight, but i will look at the repeat

But, in any case, please do not take Eds comments personally, he has a direct style to his analysis which i respect him for. If he likes someone's play he says so, if he hates it he says so.

It is no personal reflection on you, if he disliked some of your play. its his opinion and he is not ridiculing you, i can assure you.

Sky poker tv are there to help, not criticise. Stick with us, you will see what i mean. Good Luck

Hoggers

• edited December 2010
    Dont let it get to you just count the readys! A big well done from me!
  • edited December 2010
    don't take the comments to heart.

personal view of one presenter on one particular hand doesn't mean that you are a 'fish'

enjoy the 1.2k...imagine it will come in handy just before christmas! 

hope this doesn't stop you from play on Sky Poker.

good luck
  • edited December 2010

Hi Gizmo,

You have 1116 1/2 very good reasons not to let any comments from the TV show get to you. WELL DONE ON A VERY GOOD CASH & RESULT. Please don't take anything personally that any presenters say about your play. You say your are a 'fun' player but, for any improvement you wish to seek for your game, could I suggest your read or post in the clinic which may or may not help your game. Again, well done tonight and I hope it continues.
  • edited December 2010
    1st of all congrats on the gd finish

tbh i no longer watch skypoker whilst playing as the analysis has been so bad at times it tilts me hard.  i did however catch the last 45 mins or so when i got in 2nite. 

all i can really say is don't let it bother you, you play for fun, why do you care what Ed thinks of you game?  if your way of enjoying a poker tournament is to be involved in a high % of hands then gl to you, for all we know, £55 mite mean absolutely nothing to you, however whether it means anything or not, your chips are still yours to play however you wish!

(you haven't mentioned whether you play cash or not - if you do, try and catch mastercash on a saturday night, they normally have a member of Team Sky Poker on there and there advice, and manner for that matter, has been 1st class so far)
  • edited December 2010
    well done on final tabling but give the guy a break uv got to remember the guys at work doin a shift prob passing time with a lil fun dont take it personally.  iv learned a lot about poker thru listenin to these guys and makin a profit bcoz of this i suggest u keep doin the same enjoy ur winnings :)
  • edited December 2010
    Hey Gizmo!

Firstly, MASSIVE congratulations on an awesome Cash!! VVWD

What an impressive way to Burst onto the PRIMO screen and our Community!. +1 on what the guys have said here. When it comes to poker you pay your entry fee and you can play how you like.. and EVERYONE has an opinion about it!

Thank you for providing us with some really interesting and varied play tonight. You were a pleasure to watch. It'd be boring if everyone played the same way.. and a cash is a cash and speaks for itself!

It most certainly is not our intention to ridicule any of our players (Except Dylan12 and Greghogg Obviously) and our analysts all have very strong and differing opinions on the 'right' way to play the game and they can only go on the few selected hands they are given to view.. Which are generally chosen for their entertainment and educational value. I wish you'd written on the forum thread giving us a bit more information about why you made certain choices.. Not to justify them, but to give us a bit more history on why you made those decisions. We are interactive and it's always great for us and other players/viewers to understand more about how/why people play in situations, and why they think a certain play is 'wrong' or 'right'!

The analysts are there to be questioned as much as any other player on the site. Whatever it take to help us all understand and progress in this Incredible game we all love. So any other information, or background you can give us on your hands via the forum is always more than welcome.

The one main advantage of having a live show and it being as interactive as it is is that discussions need NEVER be one sided!! There are many different ways to play any given hand and as a channel we are always aiming to help our viewers improve and grow as Poker players.

That's why we have SO many ways for you guys to stay in touch with us.. We WANT to know what you are thinking.. and if you think we are wrong that's cool too :)

Far from this putting you off, I hope you will see what a great and supportive community we have here.. The one thing we all have in common is our love of poker and I hope I will be seeing you on the on the forum and on the tables in the future.. I'll be the one 4betting all-in with AJo/s ;)

Congratulations again!

xLM (The gobby one off the telly)

• edited December 2010
    I'd just like to add my congratulations to all of those above.

Please don't take the criticism to heart. There are a lot of recreational players on Sky (me amongst them) and I'm sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we're very jealous of you tonight. It's a great achievement to reach the final table of the Primo.

The comments of the analyst and presenter are made in real time without the full background knowledge of table dynamics etc. They are made with good intentions but it would be impossible for them to be correct 100% of the time. Different analysts have different styles and we can choose to take on board their comments or just ignore them.

Enjoy your success and congratulations, again.
  • edited December 2010
    people are entitled to their opinion. skypoker have live shows with analysts to help people improve their games, Ed is right in what he says about how you played etc and in the long term it will affect your results (even if you have the chips to do so), more times than not you will lose the big stack because of these plays, hes basically advising you on how to play for future reference, as when the luck doesnt swing in your favour you will go from big chip leader to finishing in a worse position in the tourny and winning less than what you did tonight. so i advise you take the critisism constructively to better your game, it will benefit you in the long term and will help you push on to win more in mtts. congrats on the win.

p.s. the bets they had tonight they do most nights, it makes the show funnier especially with some of the ridiculous bets they have, the show cant be boring full of brown nosing lol
  • edited December 2010
    well done mate. far higher in the primo than i have ever come. play for fun and enjoy the game, if you do take 1 or 2 things said and improve your game so much the bettter. ed gets paid to be a "school teacher" not a "dad" . you dont have to like what he says or the way he says it, but as a general rule he does know what he is talking about.   phil
  • edited December 2010
    i agree some comments made by so called experts are off putting maybe one week the so called experts can give analysis on the primo where they cant see any cards its so easy to see the cards and point out peoples weakness how about it sky, one primo where no cards are shown so we can see how good the experts really are
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Gizmotravis

If Ed criticised your play you need to listen, if you don't like hearing the truth don't tune in when he's on. Ed is one of the analysts who always tells it like it is, if a hand is played badly NO MATTER WHAT THE RESULT he will say so. Hurst05 is right, bad play will affect your long term results. If you watch the cash show from Saturday night you will hear lolufold criticise peoples play - why? Because he is there to do so, when players make mistakes we need good players pointing them out because this is how we learn. You won't improve your game by gaining support for playing badly and nor will others watching.

You sum it up here "I liked this site prior to this and yes he had some valid comments about calling bets when I was behind but I had over 200, 000 in chips and was enjoying just playing." You know he was right and would you enjoy going out in an earlier position if you had not got lucky in a few spots?

Congrats on the cash.

• edited December 2010
    Well done on your cash in the primo.

I did watch the show and remember Ed having a bet with Lisa that you would'nt win the primo the way you were playing. The bets are always quite fun and are mainly so one presenter can get one over on the other rather than to ridicule any of the players.

I do understand Ed's comments to a degree, as he knows that in the long run if you keep getting you're chips in when you are behind you are going to lose more hands than you win and on that bases he knows you are likely to take a big hit if you continue to play these types of hands and lose a good proportion of you're chips, however, as he does not have your full table/player history he can only comment on what he see's at the time.

If this is you're usual style of play then that's fine, everyone is entitled to play how they like with their own money and chips, I once remember Trevor Harris telling everyone I was a calling station on a "Master Cash" table once, which I found quite amusing at the time, especially when I felted their studio player lol.

Anyway don't take it too personally and once again well done on your cash in the primo. 
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule?:
    i agree some comments made by so called experts are off putting maybe one week the so called experts can give analysis on the primo where they cant see any cards its so easy to see the cards and point out peoples weakness how about it sky, one primo where no cards are shown so we can see how good the experts really are
    Posted by CHILLIE

CHILLIE

What would we learn from this other than the correct move from X position at X point in the tourney and then from X position with X chips remaining. Ed did this last night in a blind on blind situation, sb limped with AA, bb raised with AJ and all the money went in pf. Ed discussed the range of hands the sb could have and how AJ stacked up against them, he did not focus on the sb actual hand he discussed the range he could be doing this with including reference to the effective stack sizes.

• edited December 2010

firstly, well played
    secondly, the comments of ed are helpful irrespective of whether they are good or critical
    thirdly, think about poor me, i cashed last night too yet according to lisa-marie, i don't exist.
    fourthly, well played

• edited December 2010
    Very well done Gizmo, everyone above has put enough just enjoy your winnings and learn from it

Great result, keep it up
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to I thought this was community of support not ridicule?:
    I thought that sky poker was suppose to be a supportive enviroment? I play for fun and this week managed to get to the final table in the Primo - my first on this site So you can understand why I am not happy with Ed's comments about my play and taking bets with Lisa Marie as to where I will finish. I am happy to take constrive critisms anyday of the week, but Ed and his comments actually put me on tilt. I am not a pro poker player, I dont profess to be, however I feel it is important to support your community not ridicule them. I liked this site prior to this and yes he had some valid comments about calling bets when I was behind but I had over 200, 000 in chips and was enjoying just playing. Disappointed is not the word Gizmotravis
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    Good morning Mr Gizmo.

Many, many congrats on your splendid cash last night. MBN!

However, you are clearly not best pleased with how Channel 865 portrayed you, & all of us here would regret that.

I have not seen the Show, & am unlikely to, but let me be quite clear about the policy that we, as Presenters & Analysts, are expected to comply with.

1) It is our duty to try to offer constructive advice, to the best of our ability. It comes under "Educate & Entertain". 

How that advice is given & received differs - it's not easy to say someone did not play a hand optimally without offending. The description can vary from "creative play" to "butchered it", or even "absolutely mangled it". The first is likely to be better-received than the last two, but they might all mean the same thing. The point is, each Analyst does it in a different way, & each player reacts differently.

2) We should never, ever, mock or ridicule any player under any circumstances.

I'm sure there is some misunderstanding here, and an off-the cuff comment (under "Entertain") has come across wrong.  We are sorry if it took the the shine off your evening, & if we offended you, we apologise.

Hang in there man, go win next week's PRIMO & show us who's the daddy!

PS - You have a PM from me.
  • edited December 2010
    Wd on being in the money.Lml is correct what she says you can play your chips however you like.Please dont take ed comments to heart he is there is praise and anylase peoples play.

btw sky poker is fantastic with very friendly people so lets hope you stay with sky and let the cards do the talking gl on the tables and most of all the 1 word is have FUN :)  
  • edited December 2010
    I thought that sky poker was suppose to be a supportive enviroment? I play for fun and this week managed to get to the final table in the Primo - my first on this site So you can understand why I am not happy with Ed's comments about my play and taking bets with Lisa Marie as to where I will finish. I am happy to take constrive critisms anyday of the week, but Ed and his comments actually put me on tilt. I am not a pro poker player, I dont profess to be, however I feel it is important to support your community not ridicule them. I liked this site prior to this and yes he had some valid comments about calling bets when I was behind but I had over 200, 000 in chips and was enjoying just playing. Disappointed is not the word Gizmotravis
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    Noooooo you're mistaken.

This is definitely a community riddled with ridicule :)
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Gizmotravis,

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in my overall commentary of your play last night. Offending anyone is the very last thing I'd intended to do.

What I'd like to make very clear is; as a poker enthusiast and analyst with Sky Poker, I take my role very seriously, and see an important part of my remit, as dispensing advice and constructive criticism. I do understand that it's sometimes difficult to accept criticism – myself included. 

After all, it's only through honest – and sometimes blunt assessment of all of our play, that each of us can ultimately improve both our game – and our enjoyment of it. 

However, I wholly accept that my impulsive 'side-bet', could easily have been translated as flippant and jocular, and for that, I unreservedly apologise. 

If you'd like to contact me by PM, I'd be happy to discuss this further.

In closing; well done on your impressive finish last night, I look forward to seeing you on many more final tables in the future. 

Best regards, Ed.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi LM, Gidzo

Great show last night, and Ed, I agree with LM, you are a winker ;)
  • edited December 2010
    firstly, well played secondly, the comments of ed are helpful irrespective of whether they are good or critical thirdly, think about poor me, i cashed last night too yet according to lisa-marie, i don't exist. fourthly, well played
    Posted by aussie09
    AUSSIE!!! :(
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    The truth is, that nice Mr Kendal and his subordinates are very supportive indeed. What irks you is the fact you obviously thought you were a better player than you actually are!, and hearing what you thought were adverse comments, were in fact said to help you, but being so full of yourself, you have used said comments as an excuse for losing. Whinge your good self to the bank and deposit the cash and be grateful that you did in fact cash.
    Kind regards
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : The truth is, that nice Mr Kendal and his subordinates are very supportive indeed. What irks you is the fact you obviously thought you were a better player than you actually are!, and hearing what you thought were adverse comments, were in fact said to help you, but being so full of yourself, you have used said comments as an excuse for losing. Whinge your good self to the bank and deposit the cash and be grateful that you did in fact cash. Kind regards
    Posted by ALIVEHAT60
    I disagree with this, i dont think the OP came across like this at all and that your comments are very unfair Mr Alivehat.

• edited December 2010
    I agree with Greg, even if I would prefer to ridicule him
  • edited December 2010
     I hope you can forgive Ed this time gizm, I'm actually around 78.7% sure that he won't do it again
  • edited December 2010
    I dont think making the final table in the Primo can be classed as losing ,i and many others on here would be over the moon to be classed as losers if we could cash for that amount each week .
           Bravo on a great result Gizmo and good luck at the rest of your tables.
                                         Regards  Mick.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : I disagree with this, i dont think the OP came across like this at all and that your comments are very unfair Mr Alivehat.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1 Hoggers,
    Although i'm not sure whats best, agreeing with you or agreeing with Nutter agreeing with you. I would much prefer to ridicule nutter as he is my favourite flopwit, but I have to agree with you both on this occasion.
  • edited December 2010
    I'll bet a fiver that alivehat won't win the primo for at least a week!!!
  • edited December 2010
    ill bet you both a fiver that i will never win Primo

So you owe me a fiver if i win it... and i never have to pay you.

deal?