You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I thought this was community of support not ridicule?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    each and every player is different, and playing a poker game on the tv  you have to expect any comments from the commentators and then if you have a disagreement then you either pull  them up on it or prove them wrong next time in tournament 

well done giz

lucky77777
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to I thought this was community of support not ridicule?:
    I thought that sky poker was suppose to be a supportive enviroment? I play for fun and this week managed to get to the final table in the Primo - my first on this site So you can understand why I am not happy with Ed's comments about my play and taking bets with Lisa Marie as to where I will finish. I am happy to take constrive critisms anyday of the week, but Ed and his comments actually put me on tilt. I am not a pro poker player, I dont profess to be, however I feel it is important to support your community not ridicule them. I liked this site prior to this and yes he had some valid comments about calling bets when I was behind but I had over 200, 000 in chips and was enjoying just playing. Disappointed is not the word Gizmotravis
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    James, congrats on your finish & cash.

I hope all the comments & Ed's reply make you feel more comfortable with the site! Maybe look at it as a bit of a 'tilt' exercise, if you know what i mean, you should see what some of the cash table 'chatbox' warriors comment lol, tho they are few and far between!! Poker Players have to deal with 'people' tryin to unbalence you, esp live, this is rare in the sensible tourneys on this site

Most,  in fact, almost all players on this site are very helpful & polite, and as with all the presenters, i would say are a pleasure to listen to, or speak with!!

I hope you continue to enjoy the site, i have very limited experiance, but love it on here when i have the time!
    In fact remenber well when i was fairley new to poker & this site, I won the Primo, [DEC 09] lookin back, some of the hands i played were prob shockin lol and the presenters hinted as much LOL!!  Even more so when i blew the Vegas Final, [More LOL], so i know how it feels to have it splashed across the screen!!!

I look at these things as 'character building', I hope you can move forward too!!

How about tryin for a SPT final, am sure you would enjoy, and am sure Ed will stand you a pint, if I am there i will too!!

ps. Latley, since, I have read a few books, studied the poker clinic, moderated the wine intake during tourneys, I have done nuffin latley LOL!! 33rd last nite primo so well behind you!!

You may have lots more experiance than me, but hopefully this has helped.

Good Luck at the tables!!

May the Quads be with you!!

Dave 'Hitman' Harvey
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule?:
    In Response to I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : Good morning Mr Gizmo. Many, many congrats on your splendid cash last night. MBN! However, you are clearly not best pleased with how Channel 865 portrayed you, & all of us here would regret that. I have not seen the Show, & am unlikely to, but let me be quite clear about the policy that we, as Presenters & Analysts, are expected to comply with. 1) It is our duty to try to offer constructive advice, to the best of our ability. It comes under "Educate & Entertain".  How that advice is given & received differs - it's not easy to say someone did not play a hand optimally without offending. The description can vary from "creative play" to "butchered it", or even "absolutely mangled it". The first is likely to be better-received than the last two, but they might all mean the same thing. The point is, each Analyst does it in a different way, & each player reacts differently. 2) We should never, ever, mock or ridicule any player under any circumstances. I'm sure there is some misunderstanding here, and an off-the cuff comment (under "Entertain") has come across wrong.  We are sorry if it took the the shine off your evening, & if we offended you, we apologise. Hang in there man, go win next week's PRIMO & show us who's the daddy! PS - You have a PM from me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1 after reading ALL of the replies to the OP i think the way you have worded this comes across absolutely perfect,vvwd tikay,xxx
  • edited December 2010
    OK, I am not a member of the Sky Poker community really but just happened to click on the forum whilst playing and read this topic.

As far as the presenter being critical of your play, I understand it annoying you but you honestly should not be worrying about it. Either he is correct in which case you got some free advice which you can use to help improve your game or he is wrong in which case it does not matter except other players may be given a false impression of you which you can exploit.

As far as Sky Poker being supportive of it's players goes, from what I have seen it is very supportive. There are some poker communitys where these sort of comments are common place and expected and some of the comments would go well beyond this and cross the line (this is not only considered acceptable but should be expected). It is very unlickly this would even be allowed on Sky Poker. This thread demostrates to me how supportive Sky is of it's players.

I assume you will continue to play on Sky Poker as it would be a shame to leave after such a good start. Well Done and Good Luck.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : The truth is, that nice Mr Kendal and his subordinates are very supportive indeed. What irks you is the fact you obviously thought you were a better player than you actually are!, and hearing what you thought were adverse comments, were in fact said to help you, but being so full of yourself, you have used said comments as an excuse for losing. Whinge your good self to the bank and deposit the cash and be grateful that you did in fact cash. Kind regards
    Posted by ALIVEHAT60
    Considering your extreme over-reaction to people even recording hands in which you were involved in, this strikes me as an amazing and ill-considered post by you.
    Please try to consider someone else's point of view before launching into obnoxious posts such as this.
  • edited December 2010

giz meny congrates on your cash

i personally proberly have the harshest time on sky with ed

i know ed and he sayes it as he sees it

ed only trys to help if he sees what he thinks is bad play he sayes it id rather have that than a presenter saying what a wonderous call that was afterflukeing some cards

dont take to heart what is said use it as i have done to improve your game

our another way dont watch the programme then youll never no

me personally i enjoy the comments good our bad 

• edited December 2010
         giz meny congrates on your cash    i personally proberly have the harshest time on sky with ed    i know ed and he sayes it as he sees it    ed only trys to help if he sees what he thinks is bad play he sayes it id rather have that than a presenter saying what a wonderous call that was afterflukeing some cards    dont take to heart what is said use it as i have done to improve your game    our another way dont watch the programme then youll never no    me personally i enjoy the comments good our bad       
    Posted by sara36dd08
    +1

I dont get onto the show often but when i do i take the citism with the utmost respect that ive done something wrong. Theres a reason why Ed, Tikay and Trevor are there and not me. Although i do disagree with the odd thing they say but if i disagree i might post and say, why not this instead of that. I made a similar post when Tikday and lJAMESl said about not limping at any level no matter of hands.

They later understood my point and agreed.
  • edited December 2010
    Great result and very well done.

A blatant bragging post is the normal way to bring attention to one's successes. This is very novel.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : +1 I dont get onto the show often but when i do i take the citism with the utmost respect that ive done something wrong. Theres a reason why Ed, Tikay and Trevor are there and not me. Although i do disagree with the odd thing they say but if i disagree i might post and say, why not this instead of that. I made a similar post when Tikday and lJAMESl said about not limping at any level no matter of hands. They later understood my point and agreed.
    Posted by The_Don90
    hi don... maybe best to just let it go?

mind you, there was a comment James H said about a hand i played.  it went like this....

• edited December 2010
    Yes you should take it to the bank !

A good payout and some constructive criticism from Ed.

He always says it as he sees it, and he has knocked my play on a few occasions.

But it is not a personal insult, and some comments have made me think about my game.

Take it that way, and you may gain from it too.

If you do I hope to run into you on a Primo final table soon.

Well done m8

• edited December 2010
    I can only recall one time that Ed made comments on my hand.

At the time I felt him comments were unjustified, I was on the bubble in the primo looking for my first cash in the main event.... I consoled myself that "He obviously didn't realise I was on the bubble"

In hind sight he was right, I absolutely butchered the hand,

I raised with 35% of my remaining stack to try and steal the blinds,  I was trying to steal the big blind of the tournament chip leader , who had me covered 20 times over,  Guess what, he re raised me with A3 off and I folded with AK Suited.

Ed was perfectly right in his assessment, If I wasn't prepared to shove I shouldn't have been in the pot at all, bubble or no bubble. Although it took me a wee while to admit it.

Leave it a few weeks and then go back and look at the hands again with fresh eyes, you may find the comments weren't as miss placed as you though

OH and MANY MANY CONGRATS on the cash, WD I am soooooooooo jealous 
  • edited December 2010
    1 - w/done on cash
    2 - EVERYBODY plays a different way ( would be boring if we all play the same way )
    3 - EVERYONE has a different view in poker i.e heard tikay say other day ( i quote ) you ask 4 pros how to play this hand and you`ll 5 different answers
    4 - don`t take to heart what he said
    5 - i wish i could get a run like that in any main tournie
    6 - gl on future tables
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : hi don... maybe best to just let it go? mind you, there was a comment James H said about a hand i played.  it went like this....
    Posted by aussie09
    im a little confused,

the comment i was referring to wasnt aimed at any player, was a discussion that started. I posted saying that limping with say 22/33 at micro stakes might sometimes be the correct play. After thinking both Tikay and James said this was a very good point.
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : im a little confused, the comment i was referring to wasnt aimed at any player, was a discussion that started. I posted saying that limping with say 22/33 at micro stakes might sometimes be the correct play. After thinking both Tikay and James said this was a very good point.
    Posted by The_Don90
    sorry don.. i was trying to be funny

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : sorry don.. i was trying to be funny
    Posted by aussie09
     For someone that doesnt exist you dont half cause trouble! LOL :)
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? :  For someone that doesnt exist you dont half cause trouble! LOL :)
    Posted by Donut64
    very witty..  unless....

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : sorry don.. i was trying to be funny
    Posted by aussie09

It made me smile
  • edited December 2010
    Posted by aussie09
    ah no probs mate, sorry ive been feeling terrible all day with some sorta bug, so mis-understood. Ill probably come on read it tomorrow and lmao
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? :   CHILLIE What would we learn from this other than the correct move from X position at X point in the tourney and then from X position with X chips remaining. Ed did this last night in a blind on blind situation, sb limped with AA, bb raised with AJ and all the money went in pf. Ed discussed the range of hands the sb could have and how AJ stacked up against them, he did not focus on the sb actual hand he discussed the range he could be doing this with including reference to the effective stack sizes.
    Posted by stien

Congrats Gizmo on an excellent finish on the Primo. You say you are a recreational player - there  would be a lot of serious players who can,t get a result like that, so your obviously doing something right. 
    As Ed has said - he didn,t mean to offend you and as most ppl watching do want analysis on the way they play they do tell it how it is

i think this is a great idea by CHILLIE. i don,t mean a whole tournament w/o seeing the cards but definately more hands w/o the cards that are currently being shown at the moment

Even 1 or 2 an hour would be interesting, but definately more of this , than is currently being shown. i think i,ve seen 2 in the last few weeks when the cards weren,t shown
  • edited December 2010
    I watched the show and can kinda see why you may have been offended by the side-bet even though I think it was pretty clear that there was no malice involved. Ed slated one of my hands where I had AJ in the big blind and I played it very poorly, despite knowing that gizmo could start some interesting play with any hands, I should not have commited more or less my whole stack to defend AJ. Its nothing personal, hes trying to help you improve and cash consistently, rather than relying on a considerable amount of luck. Well done on making the final table :)
  • edited December 2010
    What odds was Ed offering?
  • edited December 2010
    What odds was Ed offering?
    Posted by Machka
    Three cufflinks to a button - pretty generous imo.
  • edited December 2010

Hi All

Not sure I should have posted my "frustration" last night.....But I take responsibility as I tried to take Ed's advice and tried to change my game “in game” instead of just playing my own unorthodox style (if you can call it that). However I liken it to trying to change your grip during a round of golf (sorry to anyone who doesn’t understand that metaphor). Once you start it’s the end of your round!!!
    Anyway I learnt 2 things last night            
    1)       If I ever get to a final table with Jamie Gold I am screwed
    2)       I now know why Poker players listen to IPOD’sThxs for all the kind messages and the interesting ones, I look forward to racing with each and everyone of you in the near future
    Giz
  • edited December 2010
    WD gizmo.Ed is a jealous.gl on tables m8
  • edited December 2010
    Hi Gizmo, I fancy the odds on you having learnt something tonight too----lol---gl
  • edited December 2010
    Hi All Not sure I should have posted my "frustration" last night.....But I take responsibility as I tried to take Ed's advice and tried to change my game “in game” instead of just playing my own unorthodox style (if you can call it that). However I liken it to trying to change your grip during a round of golf (sorry to anyone who doesn’t understand that metaphor). Once you start it’s the end of your round!!! Anyway I learnt 2 things last night              1)        If I ever get to a final table with Jamie Gold I am screwed 2)        I now know why Poker players listen to IPOD’s Thxs for all the kind messages and the interesting ones, I look forward to racing with each and everyone of you in the near future Giz
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    Makes a lot of sense Giz. MereNovice will understand the golf metaphor well. He is constantly changing his grip, which is all dependent on whose knob his hand is wrapped around.

Good Luck to you mate.
  • edited December 2010
    I've had to remove a couple of posts on this thread which were completely unrelated to the thread and not appropriate.  I would appreciate if the content was not reposted.

Many thanks,

Des.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi All Not sure I should have posted my "frustration" last night.....But I take responsibility as I tried to take Ed's advice and tried to change my game “in game” instead of just playing my own unorthodox style (if you can call it that). However I liken it to trying to change your grip during a round of golf (sorry to anyone who doesn’t understand that metaphor). Once you start it’s the end of your round!!! Anyway I learnt 2 things last night              1)        If I ever get to a final table with Jamie Gold I am screwed 2)        I now know why Poker players listen to IPOD’s Thxs for all the kind messages and the interesting ones, I look forward to racing with each and everyone of you in the near future Giz
    Posted by gizmotrvis
    Hi Gizmo, you did exactly the right thing in my opinion; you went onto a public forum to canvass opinion, express your point of view and seek answers. When used properly, that's precisely what a public forum is for: a healthy and rational exchange of information and ideas.

Sounds to me like most people have proffered an opinion, and the man in question has unreservedly apologised. 

And doubtless, after some introspection and soul searching, you've just realised you've gained some free mentorship ;)

I think it's ultimately been a win-win conclusion.

Now, who wants a big kiss?

Anyone?

• edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : Hi Gizmo, you did exactly the right thing in my opinion; you went onto a public forum to canvass opinion, express your point of view and seek answers. When used properly, that's precisely what a public forum is for: a healthy and rational exchange of information and ideas. Sounds to me like most people have proffered an opinion, and the man in question has unreservedly apologised. And doubtless, after some introspection and soul searching, you've just gained some free mentorship ;) I think it's ultimately been a happy conclusion. Now, who wants a big kiss? Anyone?
    Posted by FlutNush
    My nan says she would love to kiss ya, do you want with or without teeth?
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to Re: I thought this was community of support not ridicule? : My nan says she would love to kiss ya, do you want with or without teeth?
    Posted by loonytoons

Loony, tell her that it depends on where she wants to kiss me.

Forget that, I'll tell her myself. Where does she live?