You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this ok?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is this ok?:
    In Response to Re: is this ok? : If a player doesn't want to play HU he should do two things: 1. Not sit down at a table with a single opponent 2. Leave when everyone else but one player at the table leaves. It really is that simple. It's irrelevant how many times it happens.
    Posted by MereNovice
    no1,   not sit down at a table with a single opponent..  duh   I am talking about a ring game player

no2,  Leave when everyone else but one player at the table leaves.   Soo that leaves the door open for players to continually collaborate to isolate the player without his knowlage.

your answers only reflect what you think the player without access to chat should do     And you dont address the collaborative decision of the others.

Do you think think two players collaborating to isolate a player is ok?     its simple as that   Yes or No?
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is this ok? : Last point: That is a complete "non sequitur" and I don't have to accept it in any shape or form.  :-))) Two of you appear to find this practice worrying; no-one else seems to be concerned. I don't think that I can add anything further to this thread. Good luck to you and enjoy your poker.
    Posted by MereNovice
    yeah   you cant add anything to this thread unless you address the point in question,     you would be better of not adding anymore because you are simply wrong
  • edited January 2011

There used to be sites that didn't have HU tables (PartyPoker was one I think) and this used to happen quite frequently.... two players wanting to play HU, and sitting out / asking a player to leave, if someone else joined the table. I think that is ok.

On a site that has HU tables, there should be no need to do this.

If its a six max table, and someone asks me to leave, I would definitely stay, as it would be obvious there was some value to be had from the other player.

• edited January 2011
    I would be flattered if I was asked to leave a table
  • edited January 2011
    I would be flattered if I was asked to leave a table
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Ok    prepare for the biggest compliment I an give you.

Can you please leave the site?    hmmmmm   even better      leave the country     lol

I cant flatter you any more     ul be getting big headed...p
  • edited January 2011
    There used to be sites that didn't have HU tables (PartyPoker was one I think) and this used to happen quite frequently.... two players wanting to play HU, and sitting out / asking a player to leave, if someone else joined the table. I think that is ok. On a site that has HU tables, there should be no need to do this. If its a six max table, and someone asks me to leave, I would definitely stay, as it would be obvious there was some value to be had from the other player.
    Posted by jakally
    Hey jack     yeah I can see your point sir.    but skypoker has a particular aspect to thier site in that people can play from thier sky set top box and cant access the chat,   this means that two or more players can make a collaborative decision without the other players knowlage,     the key for me is...   actualy asking the other player to leave is the point at whitch ....    in my book...... would be an unfair advantage.

thx

peter
  • edited January 2011
    How are they at an unfair advantage? How do you know they might not want to stay just playing the one  player? Especially as most cases its when they are winning.
    And there is no collusion. Think your using the wrong word. Collusion would be the 2 players working together to take someones money. eg telling eachother their cards.

Also whats the difference between miniview and playing on the box. I cant see chat in mini view.

And is anyone allowed a view that is not the same as yours? If not pointless even putting it on the forum. You dont seem to what to listen to anyone elses views. You have your opionion on it. And it seems no1 can change it.
  • edited January 2011
    How are they at an unfair advantage? How do you know they might not want to stay just playing the one  player? Especially as most cases its when they are winning. And there is no collusion. Think your using the wrong word. Collusion would be the 2 players working together to take someones money. eg telling eachother their cards. Also whats the difference between miniview and playing on the box. I cant see chat in mini view. And is anyone allowed a view that is not the same as yours? If not pointless even putting it on the forum. You dont seem to what to listen to anyone elses views. You have your opionion on it. And it seems no1 can change it.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Yes I do have my own opinion,    I change my mind sometimes on issues,   On this occassion no one has managed to answer the question rebutting my claim,    they always only address the issue of the player who is unwittingly and unknowingly isolated though two or more"s collaborative agreement.

stating that the player who ends up at the table can simply sit out or stand up does not address the question.

Answering the question would be....    yes I think it is ok for two people to agree in the chat that one or the other will agree to leave on request beause in my opinion this is widely done and is generaly acceptable.

Just because the majority of posts has opposed my opinion doesnt mean I am automatically wrong,   to presume that would be just plain silly. 

I think skypoker should answer this question and we would all know the answer.

thanks for your opinion
  • edited January 2011
    I can see what your saying. Theres something not right about it. But I think your making out its a big deal. When I dont think it is. Its like a footballer taking a throw in 2 yards closer than what it should be.

I think its fine for them to ask the question. And its fine for the person to say no. I dont see how the person gains any advantage on the "fish" by doing this, to make it "collusion". If you can tell me how they gain an advantage, I would happily say this is not right. But you havent so far, so I see no problem with it.

And fwiw, I wouldnt leave for anyone unless it was a close friend. If I see a "fish" with a big stack, I will be sitting with them.
  • edited January 2011
    I can see what your saying. Theres something not right about it. But I think your making out its a big deal. When I dont think it is. Its like a footballer taking a throw in 2 yards closer than what it should be.   I think its fine for them to ask the question. And its fine for the person to say no. I dont see how the person gains any advantage on the "fish" by doing this, to make it "collusion". If you can tell me how they gain an advantage, I would happily say this is not right. But you havent so far, so I see no problem with it. And fwiw, I wouldnt leave for anyone unless it was a close friend. If I see a "fish" with a big stack, I will be sitting with them.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Yeah exactly where I stand, don't see any huge advantage from it, just more of a poor etiquette thing.

When I used the word collusion in an earlier post it was more the definition of the word rather than how it is more commonly used in a poker context, i.e referring to more blatant / serious examples of cheating.
  • edited January 2011
    I can see what your saying. Theres something not right about it. But I think your making out its a big deal. When I dont think it is. Its like a footballer taking a throw in 2 yards closer than what it should be.   I think its fine for them to ask the question. And its fine for the person to say no. I dont see how the person gains any advantage on the "fish" by doing this, to make it "collusion". If you can tell me how they gain an advantage, I would happily say this is not right. But you havent so far, so I see no problem with it. And fwiw, I wouldnt leave for anyone unless it was a close friend. If I see a "fish" with a big stack, I will be sitting with them.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    I do agree with most of what you said,      to answer your question..     the advantage would be simply some players are inexperienced at hu,   I myself never play hu,    I have however found myself hu at a ring table after everyone has left....    I know and understand I am at liberty to leave or sit out,   but normaly I would play for a bit hoping others might sit,       you are correct,   this in its self is not a massive point,    but could be the thin edge of the wedge,

its very fair if a player says     hey bud   ya wanna play me hu?

seems a little dodgy if the player say hey can you guys leave this ring game,   I wanna play this guy hu.

I know that if this is ok then I could abuse it,   if I could think of a way then its only a matter of time before others do also.

thanks again

peter
  • edited January 2011
    i know in a perfect world everyone would just play for fun but in reality a lot of people play to make money, it isnt all fun and games. Weaker players are targetted in the hope of taking their money. To ask to play someone HU is perfectly fine. Ofc its also fine to deny the request though and thats really all there is too it. Sure it might leave a bad taste in your mouth but really were all adults here and if the guy didnt want to play HU he would stand and find a full table. Its not like hes defenceless.

Honestly if someone asked me to stand i would ask if the other person wanted hu aswell, if he said no or there was no reply i would carry on playing.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is this ok? : I do agree with most of what you said,      to answer your question..     the advantage would be simply some players are inexperienced at hu,   I myself never play hu,    I have however found myself hu at a ring table after everyone has left....    I know and understand I am at liberty to leave or sit out,   but normaly I would play for a bit hoping others might sit,       you are correct,   this in its self is not a massive point,    but could be the thin edge of the wedge, its very fair if a player says     hey bud   ya wanna play me hu? seems a little dodgy if the player say hey can you guys leave this ring game,   I wanna play this guy hu. I know that if this is ok then I could abuse it,   if I could think of a way then its only a matter of time before others do also. thanks again peter
    Posted by NODEAL
    You seem to be assuming everything. The player might be happy to play HU. If hes not, then he leaves. Therefore this still isnt an advantage.

Also your making out as if there are several players playing, and then one person asks the others to leave so they can play the other player HU. This is not what happens. Normally 2 people will be playing. Then when another sits, they will ask him if its ok to carry on their game HU, (normally before the 3rd person plays a hand).

I dont see anyway you can abuse it. Because the 3rd player has the right to say no. And my guess is the majority of players would say no, like me. And the "fish" has the right to leave the table at any time. But if you could think of a way, please share it with me.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is this ok? : You seem to be assuming everything. The player might be happy to play HU. If hes not, then he leaves. Therefore this still isnt an advantage. Also your making out as if there are several players playing, and then one person asks the others to leave so they can play the other player HU. This is not what happens. Normally 2 people will be playing. Then when another sits, they will ask him if its ok to carry on their game HU, (normally before the 3rd person plays a hand). I dont see anyway you can abuse it. Because the 3rd player has the right to say no. And my guess is the majority of players would say no, like me. And the "fish" has the right to leave the table at any time. But if you could think of a way, please share it with me.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    MY god,    I thought I was being very balanced with my last reply to you,     but do you know what? 

I asked skypoker the question.      they said that if a player asks other players to leave a ring game then they should be reported,     they would be chat banned for first offence and banned from site if it happens again.

so...   thats the answer

IT IS NOT OK TO ASK PLAYERS TO LEAVE A RING GAME
  • edited January 2011

Ok im bored now.

• ybyb
    edited January 2011
    lol i thought 5toneface's last post was spot on, but seriously whats the point in asking for everyone's opinions on a subject when you're going to get flustered when most people disagree with you?
  • edited January 2011
    Ok im bored now.
    Posted by 5toneFace

Me too let this sink please :)
  • edited January 2011
    Ok im bored now.
    Posted by 5toneFace
    Oh no       The whole world will stop now       OH Oh    nope everything still ticking along...    You just carry on being bored sir.    No damage done.

God belss ya  pookums
  • edited January 2011
    I love it when someone asks a question, seemingly openly, but actually has their own strong opinion and thenlambasts anyone stating the contrary view.
    If Sky has a rule about it - it doesn't make it right!
  • edited January 2011
    I love it when someone asks a question, seemingly openly, but actually has their own strong opinion and thenlambasts anyone stating the contrary view. If Sky has a rule about it - it doesn't make it right!
    Posted by Eyeman
    Very good point bud,    rules are just that rules.

doesnt make them right,        you are also correct that I had a strong opinion     but wrong in that my mind couldnt be changed,     I realy think most of the replies to the thread that dissagread with me had weak answers that didnt address the question,    I think that I agreed with some parts of peoples opinions and did say that I can see where they are coming from,    but     to be honest a lot of the answers were disapointing and frankly childish imo.

but you are correct    if skypoker agree with me    we both could be wrong

peter
  • edited January 2011
    FWIW here's my opinion.

I think it is understandable that a player might wish to play against a player alone heads up for a number of reasons (having lost a few pull-ups to a fish being the obvious one), but I certainly don't think it's right. If you lose to a fish - that's just tough - you don't have the right to get your money back, it's just poker - chalk it up to experience, and know that another day you'll win as much if not more back off another poor player. If I bet on Chelsea to win at Wolves, I don't expect a refund because Wolves did the unthinkable, I just shrug my shoulders, knowing that over the last XX years, those bets have paid off.
    However, I don't think it is collusion of any sort. It's a request, nothing more. If a player can't / won't / doesn't see the chat-box that's their choice of how to play. I know that Sky players can play via a set-top box, but that, again, is a choice. If you are ever disadvantaged by not seeing chat in the chat box - that's also just tough, in my opinion. A player might come to a table and say - "hey I just won £5,000,000 on the lottery, and I'm going to gift £1,000 to the players here over the next hour". If you don't see the chat and you fold to his huge raise (having of course seen him lose a couple of hundred quid in this manner already) - tough. Live with it.
  • edited January 2011
    FWIW here's my opinion. I think it is understandable that a player might wish to play against a player alone heads up for a number of reasons (having lost a few pull-ups to a fish being the obvious one), but I certainly don't think it's right. If you lose to a fish - that's just tough - you don't have the right to get your money back, it's just poker - chalk it up to experience, and know that another day you'll win as much if not more back off another poor player. If I bet on Chelsea to win at Wolves, I don't expect a refund because Wolves did the unthinkable, I just shrug my shoulders, knowing that over the last XX years, those bets have paid off. However, I don't think it is collusion of any sort. It's a request, nothing more. If a player can't / won't / doesn't see the chat-box that's their choice of how to play. I know that Sky players can play via a set-top box, but that, again, is a choice. If you are ever disadvantaged by not seeing chat in the chat box - that's also just tough, in my opinion. A player might come to a table and say - "hey I just won £5,000,000 on the lottery, and I'm going to gift £1,000 to the players here over the next hour". If you don't see the chat and you fold to his huge raise (having of course seen him lose a couple of hundred quid in this manner already) - tough. Live with it.
    Posted by Eyeman
    errr I agree     I think

ps   can you just give me the 1k?
  • edited January 2011
    When I win £5,000,000 on the lottery - sure.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: is this ok? : If he really doesn't want to play HU he has the option of sitting out until someone else joins the game. No-one is forced to play HU.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Is English not your first language?, maybe someone could translate for you, and perhaps then, you could understand the posts better.

Kind regards