You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

about wining the the TSP MTT

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
Im 34, Living in south wales, I drive busses for a living, I have a morgage and a little boy that turns 4 in 2 weeks time.
I enjoy playing lots of online poker as sky poker, I started playing poker here about 3 years ago when I didnt even have a clue what it was about. I have played very few live games, at my local club.
I was tempted into playing proberly the most intence and enjoyable poker game ever last night by the cash prizes, the very good players and the structure and never could imagine coming in 1st place.
Havent slept much last night, woke up with the worst headace ever. Feels like I've lost 700 quid (alot of money to me), but, just won the X-factor..

Was thinking about sitting out at heads up, but suddenely with a huge desision to make and not much time to think. I decided to play the cards and what happens happens. PP started raining down on me, and the game become impossibley easy.

Thats the just of it, Gona have to give this a good go. Hope u guys are gona wish me luck. Think im gona need it.

Comments

• edited January 2011

Well played fella.

I think there should definitely be an alternative prize for first - money or something, and become a member of "tsp online" or something like that - I'm sure somebody could figure it out.

Having to lose on purpose because you prefer the 2nd prize to first prize is just wrong - maybe they can look at giving the winner an option of cash or TSP membership. - (Im sure it wont hurt having 5 members rather than 6, and if it does - they can just appoint another wild-card like they did with the first 3).

Im gonna be in the next sng one I think, so hope they sort something by then :D
  • edited January 2011
    all the very best m8 you are with some top guys i know most ove them and they are top guys and great company and im sure they will make you feel very welcome once again all the best m8 and many congrats.DEL
  • edited January 2011

its a great achievement stan.  why not just view it as an additional xmas present and just go with it.   well played, have fun  andy warhol said that everyone will have fifteen minutes of fame, this is your time.

• edited January 2011
    Well played solidstan1, i completley understand that you woud prefer the money. i think there is pros and cons for both for you which it maybe that you need to speak to tikay or someone at sky to sort out whats best for you here.

Best of luck in what ever decision you made but well played again

Problem is all the cash players will say its easy just grind but i myself suck at cash and would probably lose more through doing this it all depends on your roll, really big decision for you stan but its a good one to have

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: about wining the the TSP MTT:
    Well played fella. I think there should definitely be an alternative prize for first - money or something, and become a member of "tsp online" or something like that - I'm sure somebody could figure it out. Having to lose on purpose because you prefer the 2nd prize to first prize is just wrong - maybe they can look at giving the winner an option of cash or TSP membership. - (Im sure it wont hurt having 5 members rather than 6, and if it does - they can just appoint another wild-card like they did with the first 3). Im gonna be in the next sng one I think, so hope they sort something by then :D
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I disgree with this.
    I think there should only be one prize, and thats to become a member of TSP, after all that is the only reason these 3 tourneys exist.
     Why cash prizes for other finishers, dont they already get the cash for their points anyway?
    Thats my take on it guys, should be winner takes all and if TSP does not appeal to you then just dont play.
  • edited January 2011

Well the prize obviously has to appeal for people to take part. 

If it doesn't the promotion wont work. Obv the idea is to encourage people to play more on the site, therefore paying more rake and making sky more money. 

I was watching the sng and the mtt games, and several players didn't know what the prize was, and alot of other players knew what it was, and didn't want it.

If for example TSP membership was replaced by a 1 million pound cash prize, - the activity on the site, number of ppl playing, amount of rake paid would go off the scale.

Extreme/unrealistic example, but the point is still valid. 

• edited January 2011
    Firstly, you made the right decision, no matter how much £700 means to you.  I was irritated at the time as I could not comprehend, that you did not grasp the vastness of the difference between 1st and 2nd place.  It is massive.  I apologise for any jibes made and I wish you the best of luck.
  • edited January 2011
    WP and gl stan. We have played together numerous times in MTTs and I would definatly put you down as one of the better players. I hope you can get enough points to make this promotion worthwhile.
  • edited January 2011
    Nice one Stan!!!!!
  • edited January 2011
    Very well done Stan !! I know exactly where your coming from on this though, if i was lucky enough to finish in the top 30, & have a chance to be part of tsp i would turn it down.

Im guessing your like me who just enjoys a game of poker online when it suits, with no pressure and you can have some fun + a relaxing night with a few bevvies !!

So if i was in your situation heads up i would also be in a quandary & would not know what to do, the cash would mean more to me than a place on tsp (even though the opportunities on tsp are fantastic & far outweigh the £700).

VWD Again
    Goody
  • edited January 2011
    Fully understand your quandary, but please don't let that deter from the fact that you thoroughly deserve this opportunity should you decide to take it.

A shame that such a great day for you has turned into a difficult decision.

WP mate and GL whatever you decide.
  • edited January 2011
    disappointing for all the players that played the tournament last night and would jump at the opportunity you have

i hope this doesnt affect and further promotions like this and ruin it for the rest of us

well played and good luck whatever you decide
  • edited January 2011
    Well done Stan. I hope that you decide to commit 100% to being a member of TSP.

I understand that £700 has its attractions, but I have known you for some time as a worthy opponent, and was lucky enough to share a table with you for some time last night (before I failed to see your set of 8s coming !)

You took down this tournament which was a top class field many of whom were desperate to win it. The prize is such an opportunity for any good player you would be mad not to go for it.

I hope that you dont feel in any way that you are not good enough to be in the same company as some of the other TSP stars, because you are. And I know they will welcome you on board as an equal member. You dont have to be a nosebleed cash player to be good enough !

You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain, and I am sure you can sort it out alongside your work commitments. I say that as I have just agreed to go back to driving my bus next week !

Well done again m8 and the same goes for AJS and Robbie.

• edited January 2011
    Well played Stan - whatever you decide to do you have earnt the right to choose - you didn't make the rules - Sky have come up with them.

On the rare occasion I've been on the same MTT table as you you have always stood out as a tough opponant and so I'm not at all surprised that you had the weapons required to take this down.

Good luck with however you decide to proceed. 
  • edited January 2011
    Well done on winning!

I would say just go for it!

You may even cash well at the gukpt for free :)
  • edited January 2011
    Well done on your win and good luck Stan.
  • edited January 2011
    Well done Stan. I hope that you decide to commit 100% to being a member of TSP. I understand that £700 has its attractions, but I have known you for some time as a worthy opponent, and was lucky enough to share a table with you for some time last night (before I failed to see your set of 8s coming !) You took down this tournament which was a top class field many of whom were desperate to win it. The prize is such an opportunity for any good player you would be mad not to go for it. I hope that you dont feel in any way that you are not good enough to be in the same company as some of the other TSP stars, because you are. And I know they will welcome you on board as an equal member. You dont have to be a nosebleed cash player to be good enough ! You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain, and I am sure you can sort it out alongside your work commitments. I say that as I have just agreed to go back to driving my bus next week ! Well done again m8 and the same goes for AJS and Robbie.
    Posted by penguin7

I COULD NOT PUT IT BETTER MYSELF TONY. GO AND PLAY THAT GUKPT STAN IT COULD PUT £1000'S OF POUNDS IN YOUR BANK ROLL IF YOU WIN

• edited January 2011
    Pretty amazed that the MTT & STT winners last night either didn't know what they were playing for and/or would have preferred 2nd place for £700.  That's before you actually start weighing up the value of 1st place..... i heard 1 of the winners last night say they made 5000 CFP's per month...... that's £100 bonus.  That means they get a £1.1k seat + maybe another £300 seat if they save their points and also means at least 2 weekends to be planned away.  The alternative is £700 cash without having to leave the house.  Obviously the TSP status is worth more value but the winner is extremely likely to walk away with zero.  The only way to work out if this is good for a specific player would be to ask them if they had £700 cash, would they swap it for 2 weekends away and buyins worth £1400 to play 2 mtt's.  Am sure that there would be many who would take the risk free cash.  It's just a fact that to some this seat is worth £1.4k of buyins and to others it's worth many 10's of thousands.

Maybe Sky should increase the cash prizes to the bigger cash rakers and reduce the cash to the low raking TSP finalists which would make the 1st place more appealing?  ;)
  • edited January 2011
    so what exactly has stan won? has he got a GUKPT seat or does he have to save points?
  • edited January 2011
    Hi All,

Let me throw this into the mix. Surely the whole idea of these finals are to find new TSP members, so why does there have to be ANY cash payouts.
    This is something that NO ONE has bought into, so all i see is an elitist freeroll for 30 players.
    If any of the top 30 don't want to take up a place in the team, do enter and let someone who does desire the place have a go.(not me btw, i don't play enough to qualify).
    So come on, can someone give me a compelling explanation, why there is extra cash prizes for these finals.

col 
  • edited January 2011
    Hi All, Let me throw this into the mix. Surely the whole idea of these finals are to find new TSP members, so why does there have to be ANY cash payouts. This is something that NO ONE has bought into, so all i see is an elitist freeroll for 30 players. If any of the top 30 don't want to take up a place in the team, do enter and let someone who does desire the place have a go.(not me btw, i don't play enough to qualify). So come on, can someone give me a compelling explanation, why there is extra cash prizes for these finals. col 
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Cancel the cash pay outs - and make the monthly 220 double-stack a qualification only event, with the top 50 in the league freeroll getting entry into it. 

• edited January 2011
    Hi All, Let me throw this into the mix. Surely the whole idea of these finals are to find new TSP members, so why does there have to be ANY cash payouts. This is something that NO ONE has bought into, so all i see is an elitist freeroll for 30 players. If any of the top 30 don't want to take up a place in the team, do enter and let someone who does desire the place have a go.(not me btw, i don't play enough to qualify). So come on, can someone give me a compelling explanation, why there is extra cash prizes for these finals. col 
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Yes Col, I agree with your logic here ! But lots of these guys have put in huge amounts of time and effort in qualifying for these events.

I dont think there would have been many moans if it was winner only, ( especially from the cash guys !)

But I am sure some of the MTT and STT players welcomed some consolation prizes for narrowly missing out. and I dont think Sky should be criticised for putting up the extra cash, as a reward for 3 months hard work.

Shame I missed out on this too !

• edited January 2011
    I heard that any memeber of the TSP is guaranteed at least ONE £1K GUKPT main event.

I realise £700 is a lot of money, especially with children are involved, but surely the experience and just the chance of being in a tournie where the money could be close to life changing (not in lifestyle but obv pay off mortgage, go on nice holidays. new car etc) is something that you should be excited and thirlled about.

• edited January 2011
    penguin 7 = a man talking some sense

people seem to be moaning about the extra cash prizes on a freeroll

i just feel sorry for the people who desperately wanted into TSP and fell late on. must be a kick in the teeth hearing people who got in dont want in
  • edited January 2011
    also Solidstand, from the last 3/4 left, you are by far the best player. 
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: about wining the the TSP MTT : Yes Col, I agree with your logic here ! But lots of these guys have put in huge amounts of time and effort in qualifying for these events. I dont think there would have been many moans if it was winner only, ( especially from the cash guys !) But I am sure some of the MTT and STT players welcomed some consolation prizes for narrowly missing out. and I dont think Sky should be criticised for putting up the extra cash, as a reward for 3 months hard work. Shame I missed out on this too !
    Posted by penguin7
    Hi Tony,
    Hope your well mate.
    I do understand your post, but I maintain that (as has been shown here) the prize is the TSP place.
    What would happen then if they get down to heads up and neither player wanted the team place. I also think that the level of cash prizes is HUGE compared to the size of the field, in each of the finals.
    This not me having a go at Sky Poker, (again), rather me playing devil's advocate against the feeling of players not wanting to be in the team or understanding the whole process.  
    col
  • edited January 2011
    penguin 7 = a man talking some sense people seem to be moaning about the extra cash prizes on a freeroll i just feel sorry for the people who desperately wanted into TSP and fell late on. must be a kick in the teeth hearing people who got in dont want in
    Posted by Small_Dog
    Hi Small Dog,

To put the record straight for you,
    1. I'm entitled to my opinions and, as most of the Sky Poker staff know, will say what i think, not out of jealousy or envy.
    2. I've played here from the start and would give some, non vital, body parts to represent Sky Poker.
    3. The reason I won't qualify is down to bankroll.
    4. Most tournament only payout the top 10/15% of the field, but not in this case, where 7/8 players got a money prize(out of a field of 30).
    I would and do accept Sky's rules, but even if I could afford to get into the top thirty, if i didn't want a place i wouldn't take part in the final. Just how i feel sorry.
    Finally, I totally agree with your last bit, as I would be gutted to hear that if I had just missed out.
    Regards
    col
  • edited January 2011
    I decided to opt out of the league because I had no interest in being in the team, and thought id give someone else a chance who wanted to be in the team.
    However, I wasn't aware that there would be cash prizes for 2nd-8th. Now I know that, I may not opt out next time. And if I managed to get heads up, I will just sit out. I think this would ruin the tourny and the TSP selection. But I finished in the top 30 and I am entitled to win the free cash money sky have put up.
    I agree that the money should be taken from these tournys, so that the people who want to be in the team have the opportunity,
  • edited January 2011
    I heard that any memeber of the TSP is guaranteed at least ONE £1K GUKPT main event. I realise £700 is a lot of money, especially with children are involved, but surely the experience and just the chance of being in a tournie where the money could be close to life changing (not in lifestyle but obv pay off mortgage, go on nice holidays. new car etc) is something that you should be excited and thirlled about.
    Posted by scotty77
    im not sure how this whole thing works out (i tried looking in promotions but couldn't understand it)

say these low limit mtt guys have like a small BR say £1000 or sumit and they won a freeroll into a £1100 event but had the option to take a £700 cash prize it would be pretty terrible advice to say to them to play the event and give up the cash, or am i missing something important?
  • edited January 2011
    Pretty amazed that the MTT & STT winners last night either didn't know what they were playing for and/or would have preferred 2nd place for £700.  That's before you actually start weighing up the value of 1st place..... i heard 1 of the winners last night say they made 5000 CFP's per month...... that's £100 bonus.  That means they get a £1.1k seat + maybe another £300 seat if they save their points and also means at least 2 weekends to be planned away.  The alternative is £700 cash without having to leave the house.  Obviously the TSP status is worth more value but the winner is extremely likely to walk away with zero.  The only way to work out if this is good for a specific player would be to ask them if they had £700 cash, would they swap it for 2 weekends away and buyins worth £1400 to play 2 mtt's.  Am sure that there would be many who would take the risk free cash.  It's just a fact that to some this seat is worth £1.4k of buyins and to others it's worth many 10's of thousands. Maybe Sky should increase the cash prizes to the bigger cash rakers and reduce the cash to the low raking TSP finalists which would make the 1st place more appealing?  ;)
    Posted by cottlad
    Im sure your thinking along the same lines as me. But not 100%. But this is what I think.
    People are saying the prize of being in the team is worth more than £700. Unfortunately this is not neccessarily true. For it to be worth any amount of money. The person in the team will have to win something in the tournys they play. If they dont win anything. Its worth nothing. And even worth negative money, if you include the expenses of each tourny they play. They do recieve some money to cover expenses. But trust me it isnt enough to cover, transport, hotel, food/drink. And not to mention the amount of money the person might lose trying to get as many C4P as possible.
    On the plus side, if they manage to cash in a GUKPT, its worth alot of money, especially to win one.

I do think this is a good opportunity for people to play bigger buy in events. And good to people who might already play lots of GUKPTS, cause they would probably play the same events anyway. So they are saving money from the free buyin.