You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it?

edited January 2011 in Poker Chat
On railing the 3 finals last night it seemed to me that many of the finalists were more interested in the money prizes than winning and becoming part of Team Sky. There were many comments passed in the chat boxes but personally I think it would be the chance of a lifetime (albeit for a short time) if you love this game. This begs the question though did all 3 winners really want to be part of the team?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    +1 good post

Well done to all 3, was thinking last night how much it would be worth for a micros player such as myself. i struggle to hit 1k points and i do play quite often, only way is to play cash. this then leads us onto whether they have bankroll to play cash which i personally wouldn't and i suck so after a bit of thought can understand them preferring the money.

Another thing as 2 of 3 winners didnt understand the full extent of the prize offered maybe it needs to be made more clear by sky. Solidstan who won is unsure at present and i hope if he still doesnt want it they exchange with person who was runner up 4fingers

Kind Regards
    John
  • edited January 2011
    Dam i fell asleep at 8.30pm missed it ;|(. 

Who are the 3 players who won?
  • edited January 2011
    if sky allow the winners to swap for the 700 it would make a mockery of the entire promotion imo
  • edited January 2011
    If this is the case why was any money offered? Plenty of other cash for the big points guys right?

Winner takes all tournaments for the seats on the team allows people who don't want the 'spot light' to opt out as their not tempted to play for the cash on offer.
  • edited January 2011
    Seriously, it was a joke.  One of them `said` they didnt want to win coz they couldnt be bothered to travel to London lol, however when hu, if they really really didnt want it then why not sitout
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah it does kinda suck people being given a prize of sponsorship who don't really want it. I understand why some people don't want to do it, its alot of travelling un-paid to the studio, alot of hours having to play MTT's you don't want to play and all for double rakeback which can be peanuts to the micro players (and not a lot in the context of things or a good regular high stakes winner).

For me it would be a great prize, I'm in a job i don't really want to do, I make enough money through poker to give up my job but I dont want to make the step because of my family. Personally I would of loved to win this so seeing people say they didn't want to win is hard. But well played the guys that won, hope you can utilise this and take down a GUKPT or something.
  • edited January 2011
    If I got in this tournament (I won't, I don't play often enough) I'd definitely be playing for the 2nd place cash. I like the TSP concept and I enjoy following the team, but my life is far too busy to ever consider becoming part of it.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it?:
    If I got in this tournament (I won't, I don't play often enough) I'd definitely be playing for the 2nd place cash. I like the TSP concept and I enjoy following the team, but my life is far too busy to ever consider becoming part of it.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    lol sorry if it's not good enough for your 'busy life' big man!!

Srsly why would anyone bother playing poker so much if, when presented with the chance to be sponsored, play a 1k event, earn double c4p, play in some more tourneys and get a siiiiccckkk hoody, turn it down because you might have to get a train to London and have your ugly face on camera for a couple of hours.

Literally it baffles me why anyone would not want this. 
  • edited January 2011
    Wow! Double CFP! My monthly £5 would become £10, maybe I should reconsider?

£700 in cash is more useful to me than a £1K seat. I'm purely a recreational player and will happily continue to be one, not all of us have big aspirations to be a poker pro. I work 6 days a week running a small business, I have young children to whom I dedicate most of my spare time and I have zero interest in being on TV. TSP - not for me thank-you.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : lol sorry if it's not good enough for your 'busy life' big man!! Srsly why would anyone bother playing poker so much if, when presented with the chance to be sponsored, play a 1k event, earn double c4p, play in some more tourneys and get a siiiiccckkk hoody, turn it down because you might have to get a train to London and have your ugly face on camera for a couple of hours. Literally it baffles me why anyone would not want this. 
    Posted by pryce6
    Meh I think for a lot of players (particular the mtt and stt qualifiers with a relatively low br) the cash prize would be more beneficial. And also some peoples circumstances won't give them enough time to make joining TSP worthwhile. Like for example I will prob earn enough cash points over the summer to get into the sit and go for the 3 month period, but then theres not really much point me going ftw because I won't have enough time to grind out the points and stuff the following months so I'd just be playing for 2nd.

Obv though for other players this is a fantastic prize. Personally I think sky should not offer cash prizes for the lower places so that everyone playing is fully committed to joining TSP.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : lol sorry if it's not good enough for your 'busy life' big man!! Srsly why would anyone bother playing poker so much if, when presented with the chance to be sponsored, play a 1k event, earn double c4p, play in some more tourneys and get a siiiiccckkk hoody, turn it down because you might have to get a train to London and have your ugly face on camera for a couple of hours. Literally it baffles me why anyone would not want this. 
    Posted by pryce6
    im sold
  • edited January 2011
    One way to solve it in future

freeroll mtt for mtt players - winner in tsp
    freeroll stt for stt players - similar format to the world open/poker million etc

cash players obviously earn too much to want to be considered!

shame as I and I am sure a lot of others would be excited at the prospect on joining tsp
  • edited January 2011
    One way to solve it in future freeroll mtt for mtt players - winner in tsp freeroll stt for stt players - similar format to the world open/poker million etc cash players obviously earn too much to want to be considered! shame as I and I am sure a lot of others would be excited at the prospect on joining tsp
    Posted by Small_Dog
    i think you would find that more cash players wanted the seat than both the other tournies combined. 
  • edited January 2011
    fair enough, that was tongue in cheek anyway.

i am sure there are plenty of cash players/mtt/stt that wanted the place on tsp.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : i think you would find that more cash players wanted the seat than both the other tournies combined. 
    Posted by hurst05
    I think your probably correct.

For all id love a TSP seat, and give the chance id grab it with both hands, however i know its pointless because of my circumstances. Sitting grinding the micros maybe gains me 1K in C4P per month. Thats not enough to do anything. 

However i must admit, it kind of feels bad seeing people have that opportunity who dont want it because they have to travel to london. 

Sorry but if traveling the world meant i could get an opportunity like that tomorrow without the worry of C4P id do it tomorrow.
  • edited January 2011
    If people didnt want to win 1st prize why the hell did they enter in the first place,it seems strange to enter a tourney and really hope that you come 2nd.
                 Best idea is that Sky Poker have a mobile studio so these poor souls dont have to leave there nice warm houses and Tikay or Rich or whoever can do the show from there front rooms.
                                                           Regards   Mick.
  • edited January 2011
    in my opinion the hoody looks abit sh!t
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    Lmao
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry but if traveling the world meant i could get an opportunity like that tomorrow without the worry of C4P id do it tomorrow.
    Posted by The_Don90

Donny he has stated already he has 2 children so not the travelling i assume its, leaving family, cost of travel etc(which wont make up in C4P), i actually think for us micros only people who are willing to pay travel expenses etc of their own back and not to bothered about c4p cos £700 is probably greater value(other then tourney entry)

although i would join tomorrow if asked.........
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : Donny he has stated already he has 2 children so not the travelling i assume its, leaving family, cost of travel etc(which wont make up in C4P), i actually think for us micros only people who are willing to pay travel expenses etc of their own back and not to bothered about c4p cos £700 is probably greater value(other then tourney entry) although i would join tomorrow if asked.........
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i understand the point - from what i read it sounded like it was (i am not going to london because i cant be bothered)

Appoligies. 
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : Meh I think for a lot of players (particular the mtt and stt qualifiers with a relatively low br) the cash prize would be more beneficial. And also some peoples circumstances won't give them enough time to make joining TSP worthwhile. Like for example I will prob earn enough cash points over the summer to get into the sit and go for the 3 month period, but then theres not really much point me going ftw because I won't have enough time to grind out the points and stuff the following months so I'd just be playing for 2nd. Obv though for other players this is a fantastic prize. Personally I think sky should not offer cash prizes for the lower places so that everyone playing is fully committed to joining TSP.
    Posted by yb
    Maybe it would be more beneficial but why offer them the chance to choose between money and the actual promotion itself...

People who have played enough to make it to these 30 man tourneys should be interested in a prize like this and if they are more interested in a few hundred quid then it's a joke them being there tbh.

Sky should have taken the 2k prize pool and added it onto the winners 'offline br' or whatever. Then the winner is gtd 2k of live tourneys plus all the rest of it. Then we see who wants to win and p*ss about for a min cash.

edit: and sky should pay expenses too, how can you sponsor a player and expect them to pop onto laterooms before every tourney looking for the cheapest hotel :)
  • edited January 2011
    Wow! Double CFP! My monthly £5 would become £10, maybe I should reconsider? £700 in cash is more useful to me than a £1K seat. I'm purely a recreational player and will happily continue to be one, not all of us have big aspirations to be a poker pro. I work 6 days a week running a small business, I have young children to whom I dedicate most of my spare time and I have zero interest in being on TV. TSP - not for me thank-you.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    well obv this has nothing to do with you then
  • edited January 2011
    Why not have the top 30 from each section play together in the final and top 3 get tsp??

That would make it alot fairer imo.
  • edited January 2011
    Why not have the top 30 from each section play together in the final and top 3 get tsp?? That would make it alot fairer imo.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    i think they should do this aswell
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : i think they should do this aswell
    Posted by offshoot
    +1
    Me too as by far the cash players had the toughest draw
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : Maybe it would be more beneficial but why offer them the chance to choose between money and the actual promotion itself... People who have played enough to make it to these 30 man tourneys should be interested in a prize like this and if they are more interested in a few hundred quid then it's a joke them being there tbh. Sky should have taken the 2k prize pool and added it onto the winners 'offline br' or whatever. Then the winner is gtd 2k of live tourneys plus all the rest of it. Then we see who wants to win and p*ss about for a min cash. edit: and sky should pay expenses too, how can you sponsor a player and expect them to pop onto laterooms before every tourney looking for the cheapest hotel :)
    Posted by pryce6
    pryce, bl 00 dy good point that man. well put.
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : +1 Me too as by far the cash players had the toughest draw
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Agreed the cash route is insanely hard and anyone who even makes the cash has done brilliantly, let alone winning it, so mixing it up should make it very interesting. (Although a 90 man tourney would need a SLIGHTLY faster structure as the 30 man took 5 hours)

No offense to anyone, but if you see some of the players in STT/MTT field and my tables draw in the Cash trny was...

Coxylboro
    Sam1986
    offshoot
    dub1
    60nine60

Anyone wonna sway? LOL

• edited January 2011

I have to admit that I felt sickened and angry at some of the conversations I saw in the chatboxes of all the 3 final tables and I truly hope that those conversations are pulled and read by the powers that be.

I also hope that for the next one, all the players in the finals are checked out first and are only allowed in if they are genuinely after the top prize.

I'll apologise now if it seems strong, but when you see the players like Nutter (sorry Nuts for naming you here) who really want this and then have to see the shananigins in the chatbox that I saw, then you may agree there has to be a better way.

• edited January 2011
    I have to admit that I felt sickened and angry at some of the conversations I saw in the chatboxes of all the 3 final tables and I truly hope that those conversations are pulled and read by the powers that be. I also hope that for the next one, all the players in the finals are checked out first and are only allowed in if they are genuinely after the top prize. I'll apologise now if it seems strong, but when you see the players like Nutter (sorry Nuts for naming you here) who really want this and then have to see the shananigins in the chatbox that I saw, then you may agree there has to be a better way.
    Posted by SUPERNOVA
    i agree was party to a convo on my table where a observer asked all 6 players who wanted first prize

out of 6 only 2 said yes off which i was one

im not nameing names but its wrong

i think it should be no cash for lower places maybe give them league points for the next league
  • edited January 2011

I bet you were relatively happy with that draw as well flash !!! ;)

This is why there should be an alternative for first place.

Or an option to enter either the TSP freeroll, or a freeroll where all the money for 2-8th is combined, into 1 seperate freeroll for everyone who opts out of the main one (from the top 30 ofc)

That wud be a really tasty prize pool still.

(top 20 cash, top 10 sng and top 10 mtt in the main tsp one)

(20-50 from the league for cash, 10-30 sng and 10-30 mtt to make a 70 runner "sub" freeroll for the moniez)
  • edited January 2011
    In Response to Re: Congrats to the 3 new Sky Poker Team Members. Or is it? : i think they should do this aswell
    Posted by offshoot
    This is definitely a better way to do it!!