You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poor Etiquette in deep stack

2»

Comments

• edited September 2009
    hi  ozzzie  seen  that   done  lots  of  times   take  my  advice    u  just  dont   belive  them   know  how  u feel  terrible tactic
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack:
    In Response to Poor Etiquette in deep stack : I think sky should show them the red card (or red postillion) and ban them from playing for a week.Problem solved. Couldnt sky help organise a players committee, like working mens clubs,not being sexist just an example.they could have a private thread to discuss and decide themselves what to do in situations like this.You could easily get 12 fair people from people who use the forums alot, and it can only help sky poker. What do people think???
    Posted by TORTUS007
    Hi Tortus

I think that the term Working Men's Clubs now exist in name only, as certainly in my club women are full members and serve on the committee, in fact I think should have been done some time ago imo, (Yes I have served on a WMC committee) until about 9 months ago until Ill health got me siiiiigggghhhhhhhh.
  • edited September 2009
    in fact players who say that are clearlly not a poker player and is only here to spoil it for the rest
    i understand when players go on away when its connection problems but that is mainly only for a short time
    and when they return they write in chat and say soz ppl connection probs
    but those that say ive got to go an say there cards are clearly in my opinion not a poker player
    and yes it spoils the other players game and enjoyment
    for one if i ever thought i might have to go between the game play i will just not enter it
    and wait for another that i can complete
    and i think it is wrong going on away straight after they have built there stack cos an away player does change the game
    i also think that eventually it will be good poker players in these deepstacks as they are very long games

well done ozzie for a good heads up very enjoyable
                                                                                                                                see u all on the tables and the very best of luck to all

be lucky from lucky
  • edited September 2009
    i still think my idea was a good one--and that there should be a button you can press if you go away and are not coming back---this button could just divide your chips out to the remaining players
  • edited September 2009
    what u mean the players left on table or in the tournement
  • edited September 2009
    I think there might be some mileage in the idea that you could press a button to retire from a game and have your chips divided amongst either the rest of the table or all remaining in the tournament.

Strictly, the fairest way would be to divide amongst the entire remaining field in the tournament.

I think this would be a valuable addition to the functions on sky poker.  It is simply reality that on occasion things happen that mean a player needs to leave a tournament and there is no doubt that affects the dynamic of the game for players left at the table, either through someone gaining a lot of chips, or through the gaining of blinds where the person sat to the left of the departed person would be most likely to gain through their advantageous position.

I would love to see this introduced to avoid the situation described earlier in the thread. great idea.
  • edited September 2009
    How about this...

If a player is sat out for more than 30 minutes, they have to post a big blind on every hand until they are out?

• edited September 2009
    it would definately sort this kind of problem out once and for all --yeh--divide them among the whole tourney would be best--or take thier chips out of the tourney altogether-one way or the other there should be a "retire" button so that a player can go out without affecting game play-- sky rich --what do you think?---this problem does annoy people and the game play of the whole table should not be affected by someone having to leave the game
  • edited September 2009
    GUYS... I THINK UR GOING A BIT TO FAR IN INTRODUCING RETIRE BUTTONS AND DIVIDE CHIPS UP.... THIS DOES HAPPEN FACT AND VERY ONLY VERY OCCASIONALLY... I HAVENT SEEN IT FOR A WHILE AND I HATE IT AS MUCH AS THE NEXT PERSON.... BUT TO GET ALL TECHNICL WIV THESE DEAS IS IMO A BIT DAFT... LETS SUPPOSE SOMEONE SITS OUT FOR A WHILE COZ THEY HAVE GOT A YOUNG CHILD TO TEND TO OR AN IMPORTANT CALL... DO THEY RETIRE,,, AND IF THEY TYPE IN THE CHAT BOX BE BACK SOON GOT TO SORT MY KIDS OUT.... IM ALL IN... WHO WILL BELIEVE IT.... KEEP IT AS IT IS... NO NEED FOR CHANGE JUST PLAYER NOTE THE PEOPLE THAT DO IT.... IT CAN ALSO BE CLASSED AS A FORM OF "ANGLE GRINDING" YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO GET POOR ETIQUETTE... AND IS HAS BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME THAN ANY OF US... SO UVE JUST GOT TO HIGHLIGHT IT AND GET ON WITH IT.... JEEZ I USED TO BE THE MOST UNETIQUETTE PERSON AT A TABLE A YEAR OR SO AGO...AND I KNOW A FEW PLAYERS WILL BACK THAT UP... I USED TO REVEAL MY HOLDINGS...GIVE A BIT OF ABUSE ETC THE WAY I LEARNT WASA GENTLE NUDGE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.... THATS ALL IT NEEDS.. AND PEOPLE SOON GET THE JIST.... IF U BANG ON ABOUT IT... THEY DO IT MORE...CHEERS JIM;-)
  • edited September 2009
    How about this... If a player is sat out for more than 30 minutes, they have to post a big blind on every hand until they are out?
    Posted by KnackersYa
    Hi All
    in live tournies this is generally what happens and is by far the fairest way to do it, either that or simply take the chips out of play.
    col
  • edited September 2009
    hi oz--i figured out a fairer way  one time in a satellite 4 d open--i knew i wouldnt be back in time to play in it so i told the table they can all have 500 chips each if they call my raise in turn--so the man to my left calls the 500 raise and i fold on the flop without even checking--then the next man-and so on--obviously they all have to agree--someone said-"but what if i get aces and its not my turn"?--i said if anyone gets aa-kk or qq--just say "big one" in the chat box and we'll change the order  ---no-one did so it worked out fine and everyone got 500 chips---i think it was fairer than login out because an away player can also ruin the game play when the blinds get bigger--- also --i thought--if i just keep going all in i might knock  out someone with a-k with a silly hand and really pee them off--what you think?
    Posted by oynutter
    if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    Lol
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    yes but then you are loonytoons-lol----if someone did it twice i would have folded and let them play that one out--it worked fine on that occasion--mainly because it was a satellite, and near the bubble---obviously a retire button would be ideal--but as yet theres been no response to that idea from the big boys
  • edited September 2009

IN live pokertuons in Vegas if you tell or show your hand during play the hand is dead and do it again

and you are 8 6  from most card rooms I used to deal poer in veags until about 10years ago

evacuee39
  • edited September 2009
    There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start. One moneyed despite never coming back as the proper players knocked themselves out  and the other returned after an hour just as they were getting to money winning positions. You should not be able to use away button to benefit. Full stop. Sort it that any body out for over an hour loses there chips, i dont care who to!!!!    
  • edited September 2009
    There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start. One moneyed despite never coming back as the proper players knocked themselves out  and the other returned after an hour just as they were getting to money winning positions. You should not be able to use away button to benefit. Full stop. Sort it that any body out for over an hour loses there chips, i dont care who to!!!!    
    Posted by vaigret
    INTERESTING.

TBH ITS A PLAYERS RITES IF HE WANTS TO SIT OUT BUT HE OR SHE MAY HAVE CONNECTION PROBS?/
  • edited September 2009

can understand connection problems but pretty certain these are tactical rather than anything to do with the internet. Sorry if people think using the away button to win in tournies is ok , I try to use my limited skill at the tables and restrict the away button to cups of tea. I obviously need to find some new skills.

• edited September 2009
    As I was walking down the stair,

I saw a man who wasn't there.

He wasn't there again today …

I wish that man would go away!
  • edited September 2009
    I have had exactly the same happen to me in a sit & go when the player typed in the chatbox 'Didn't mean to enter this one, I am all in every hand' and then annouced what cards he had each time.
    I think it is wrong to annonce the cards you are holding during while the hand is in play.
  • edited September 2009
    Posted by vaigret
    i agree very poor play
  • edited September 2009

Hi Guys,

Someone Posted....

".....There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start....."

You can NOT win any Tourney be sitting out - at some stage, you have to sit in, or you'll be Blinded away, no matter how big your stack is.

In Live Poker, players can choose whether to Sit-Out or not. There is no Rule against it, as long as their Blinds are Posted. That is a situatiuon which is universal, the world over.

In Online Poker, again, I don't know a single Online Site which prohiobits players from "Sitting-Out", & I think I'm registered on over 30 Online Sites.

I'm not aware of any Rule, anywhere, Live or Online, which prohibits or forbids Sitting Out, so long as the Blinds (& Antes where applicable) are paid.

I agree it can be frustrating, but as long as players play within the Rules - & Sitting Out is wholly within the Rules AFAIK - there is nothing that can be done about it.

Personally, I would not want to see anything done about it either - players pay their Entry Free, & as long as they act within the Rules, can do as they want. Players "AWAY" suits me, it gives me easy Blinds to nick. Buit I do see that we might not all think the same on that.

This is NOT, though, a Sky Poker issue. It's just the Rules of Poker, worldwide.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi Guys, Someone Posted.... ".....There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start....." You can NOT win any Tourney be sitting out - at some stage, you have to sit in, or you'll be Blinded away, no matter how big your stack is. In Live Poker, players can choose whether to Sit-Out or not. There is no Rule against it, as long as their Blinds are Posted. That is a situatiuon which is universal, the world over. In Online Poker, again, I don't know a single Online Site which prohiobits players from "Sitting-Out", & I think I'm registered on over 30 Online Sites. I'm not aware of any Rule, anywhere, Live or Online, which prohibits or forbids Sitting Out, so long as the Blinds (& Antes where applicable) are paid. I agree it can be frustrating, but as long as players play within the Rules - & Sitting Out is wholly within the Rules AFAIK - there is nothing that can be done about it. Personally, I would not want to see anything done about it either - players pay their Entry Free, & as long as they act within the Rules, can do as they want. Players "AWAY" suits me, it gives me easy Blinds to nick. Buit I do see that we might not all think the same on that. This is NOT, though, a Sky Poker issue. It's just the Rules of Poker, worldwide.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Spot on. The head of the nail has been hit.

• edited September 2009
    "There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments."

Brilliant!  That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!!!

At least I now know what I've been doing wrong all these years...I haven't been ticking the away button enough :-)

Tikay's on the money, as usual.  'Nuff said!

• edited September 2009
    "There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments." Brilliant!  That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!!! At least I now know what I've been doing wrong all these years...I haven't been ticking the away button enough :-) Tikay's on the money, as usual.  'Nuff said!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    +1

There have been several threads complaining about people sitting out - it boggles my mind.

I don't claim to be the world's best but I'd like to think that I've got a decent shot at beating someone who isn't even there.

On another thread, I commented that I once cashed in a DYM without being present. I had connection problems and I got to the table just in time to go ai pf on the 22nd hand with AQ against the two remaining players and lose to 24o or something similar. I'd like to think that there were three "set over set" confrontations or something similar previously but I somehow doubt it.
  • edited September 2009

Phil Hellmuth Jnr, arguably the world's greatest Tourney player (according to him, though he does have 11 WSOP Bracelets to back his claim) spends hours away from the Table, in every Tourney he plays. That's no different to "sitting out" Online.

When I play Deepstacks on Sky Poker - & I'm "OK" at them - I often go for whole Levels, sometimes 3 or 4 Levels, without playing a single hand.

I get mocked for it, of course - mercilessly! - but what's the difference between that, & Sitting -Out?

The point is, at the sharp end, they, we, me, HAVE to play, or we get Blinded away.

You cannot win a regular MTT by Sitting-Out. It's just not possible.

Players just have to develop strategies to combat "away" players. Like helping yourself to their Blinds!

I actually enjoy it when a Player is "AWAY", because it adds a new dynamic to the play - because everyone is trying to find a way to pick up that dead money.*

*Which, particularly in a 6-seater, is considerable. 16.6% of the Blinds are there for the taking!
  • edited September 2009
    I have had exactly the same happen to me in a sit & go when the player typed in the chatbox 'Didn't mean to enter this one, I am all in every hand' and then annouced what cards he had each time. I think it is wrong to annonce the cards you are holding during while the hand is in play.
    Posted by apollo_11
    You are 100% corrrect.

That is against the Rules & if you see it, you should Report them to CS.

It affects the play of the whole Table, & is wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : You are 100% corrrect. That is against the Rules & if you see it, you should Report them to CS. It affects the play of the whole Table, & is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Posted by Tikay10
    well said tikay--it is wrong and people should be chat banned for doing it