You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Article in Today's Racing Post

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
Hope so, that would make for good viewing.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Interesting article in the Racing Post underneath a picture of Ed Giddins seemingly trapped in a triffid garden.  Quoting from the piece written by Jim Cremin:

'Live Sky Poker on the satellite channel celebrated its fourth birthday last week, and significantly signed a deal for a new live cash game on Friday nights that will initially be confined to invited players.'

Have they got this right?

• edited February 2011
    Ooooo interesting.

The Sky Poker Million Pound Cash Game :-D
  • edited February 2011
    someone lend me a million
  • edited February 2011
    Article was very confusing to be honest.  After chuckling a little at the Ed picture (who's Ned?) I was struggling to work out if this was an invite game for pro/celeb players or for SkyPoker players.  Might even be a disconnect between Sky Poker and Sky Sports channels.  Not a clue.  If anyone wants a gander it's page 12, top left.
  • edited February 2011

yeah yeah, whatever.....but have you got any (non virtual) racing tips for us yet??? :)))
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post:
    yeah yeah, whatever.....but have you got any (non virtual) racing tips for us yet??? :)))
    Posted by MAXALLY
    A good friend of mine from way back once told me 'Tip Number One for the Horses - Never bet on a horse with a big plug in it's throat.'  He of course waited to tell me this until after I had bet on a horse with a big plug in it's throat.  Didn't win so he was 1 for 1.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by MAXALLY
    it'll prob be a re-buy anyway Al so that's us out lol
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Article in Today's Racing Post:
    Interesting article in the Racing Post underneath a picture of Eg Giddins seemingly trapped in a triffid garden.  Quoting from the piece written by Jim Cremin: 'Live Sky Poker on the satellite channel celebrated its fourth birthday last week, and significantly signed a deal for a new live cash game on Friday nights that will initially be confined to invited players.' Have they got this right?
    Posted by TommyD

Hmmmmm, this I've got to see!
  • edited February 2011
    get on cecil for guineas and derby double
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Article in Today's Racing Post : Hmmmmm, this I've got to see!
    Posted by Sky_Mandy
    Were you trying to say it with flowers, Mandy?
  • edited February 2011
    Interesting article in the Racing Post underneath a picture of Eg Giddins seemingly trapped in a triffid garden.  Quoting from the piece written by Jim Cremin: 'Live Sky Poker on the satellite channel celebrated its fourth birthday last week, and significantly signed a deal for a new live cash game on Friday nights that will initially be confined to invited players.' Have they got this right?
    Posted by TommyD
    Sky Atlantic related?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Article in Today's Racing Post : Sky Atlantic related?
    Posted by Machka
    Not a clue.  Maybe.  If they are looking for players who can speak in an Irish-American accent and know all the lines from the Godfather Trilogy then it's a dead cert.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by TommyD
    Groan.

Yeah, largely speaking, sort of.

Jim Cremin, from the Racing Post, & with whom we have good connections, came to the Studio during last Thursday's Show. We gave him the behind-the-scenes Tour, & he came into the actual Studio during the breaks, with Mother, obv I could only chat briefly during each break, but Mother fully briefed him on various stuff.

We told him of some future plans, & had assumed he'd realise we were not ready to announce yet.

I also done some other business with him the next day by e-Mail, "thanks for coming along, da de da", & we opened discussions about me possibly getting some Sky-Poker based content into the Racing Post. (Negotiations continue, watch this space). 

As to what he said in the Racing Post today, I've not seen the article, but as it appears the story is "out" now, I might as well tell you that.....
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post : Not a clue.  Maybe.  If they are looking for players who can speak in an Irish-American accent and know all the lines from the Godfather Trilogy then it's a dead cert.
    Posted by TommyD

It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brassi sleeps with the fishes. ;)))))))))))
  • edited February 2011

Yes, it's true. We've just purchased a pretty neat whizz bang bit of kit, cost a fortune.

As I don't know what he revealed, & our plans are only 80% developed, I will just say this for now......

The kit is being installed in a different studio to ours in the next few weeks. We need a bigger studio for this particular Show, plus ancillary facilities, a different gallery, & a special sound booth, & somewhere to fit all the gizmos & kit it needs. Mother has sorted all this.

As to the game, yup, it'll be a Studio-based cash game. We'll probably record a straight 12 hour session for starters, then edit it into x half-hour or one hour Shows.

It will in all probability go onto another Channel, a high-traffic one, as well as 865. So to a  degree, we need to fit in with their tx schedule & plans. 

It will be, for technical reasons, a 6 seater cash game, & we'll do it periodically, 3 or 4 times per year, giving us 30 or 40 Shows.

The line-up of players is still under discussion. But we are pretty firmly set on a top pro or two, a TSP-er or two, a Sky Poker High-Roller, maybe one of the Analysts or Presenters, & a Sky Poker Site Qualifier. The last-named is crucial, but needs some thought & care to set up & finance properly, but the basic idea is that a regular, or "lower-limit" player will be able to find the means, via special qualifiers, to sit in the game. 

The kit will also be used as much, if not more so, for Poker School, because it enables very precise mathematical & odds analysis in real-time, so, combined with an Analyst & a Top Pro, Sky Poker high-roller, or TSP-er, the "Education" remit as well as the "Entertainment" remits can be better addressed. 

So that's the basic thrust of the whole thing, & when Mother returns from her jollies, in St Lucia - MBN - I'll ask her to fill in the gaps as soon as she's able. Mothers in charge of the whole thing. Obv.

For now, that's about it, really.

Cat well & truly out of the bag, most unexpectedly! These thinga happen, a pure misunderstandiong, Jim was not to know.

We have a lot more things cooking, too.......Things don't stand still round here for long.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Article in Today's Racing Post : Groan. Yeah, largely speaking, sort of. Jim Cremin, from the Racing Post, & with whom we have good connections, came to the Studio during last Thursday's Show. We gave him the behind-the-scenes Tour, & he came into the actual Studio during the breaks, with Mother, obv I could only chat briefly during each break, but Mother fully briefed him on various stuff. We told him of some future plans, & had assumed he'd realise we were not ready to announce yet. I also done some other business with him the next day by e-Mail, "thanks for coming along, da de da", & we opened discussions about me possibly getting some Sky-Poker based content into the Racing Post. (Negotiations continue, watch this space).  As to what he said in the Racing Post today, I've not seen the article, but as it appears the story is "out" now, I might as well tell you that.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry Tikay.  My Dad reads the Racing Post cover to cover religiously and called me about it.  Bearing in mind my folks text me if I'm on a MasterCash repeat at midnight they were all 'are you invited?' etc etc over this.  Bless 'em.  As it was in a national paper I thought it was 'out there.'

As for the article, there's not much more than what I typed in the OP, there are two other short paragraphs loosely explaining the SkyPoker channel.
  • edited February 2011

By the bye, the long-term plan is to show LIVE cash Action, as it happens, but it's been sensibly decided to Record the first few Series, till we sort out all the potential gremlins, bugs, etc.

Personally - not my decision, but I have input, as the 865 poker consultant (shush, don't mock), I'm not convinced "Live" would work well - not enough action, too much dead time. Everyone thirsts for LIVE cash action on TV, just as so many want antes in Tourneys, but I think there's a clear lack of grasp there - in neither case does it produce the result that most expect. 

When we show Mastercash action, we have to either cover several Tables, or "fill" a lot between hands. Which then gets peeps complaining that we talk too much......

So, Recorded Shows are probably more likely, but we'll try it from all angles, & see how it goes.
  • edited February 2011
    Sounds very interesting Tikay.

For live action would Sky also go down the route of the format of the Poker Millions final table?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post : Sorry Tikay.  My Dad reads the Racing Post cover to cover religiously and called me about it.  Bearing in mind my folks text me if I'm on a MasterCash repeat at midnight they were all 'are you invited?' etc etc over this.  Bless 'em.  As it was in a national paper I thought it was 'out there.' As for the article, there's not much more than what I typed in the OP, there are two other short paragraphs loosely explaining the SkyPoker channel.
    Posted by TommyD
    No need to be sorry, Tommy, not your fault, once it's out there there's no point trying to cover it up.

We'd prefer - MUCH prefer - to discuss stuff openly as it's being developed, but you know how it is, peeps jump to conclusions, add 2 & 2 & get 5, & it all gets messy. Sky Poker  - & particularly myself - were mullered when we first introduced VLV, ditto Total Player, ditto TSP, this that & the other, etc etc, so we'd rather get everything tickity-boo, & all our little ducks lined up in a nice row before going public.  

But now it's out there, well you know as much about it as I do now. Almost......
  • edited February 2011
    What stakes will it be? - roughly? no lower than 2/5? -  5/10?
  • edited February 2011
    Sounds very interesting Tikay. For live action would Sky also go down the route of the format of the Poker Millions final table?
    Posted by phil12uk
    Potentially, yes, though we'd deffo not copy it, as such. We have some interesting ideas to improve upon that, & there are no plans to copy anyone else's ideas.

Cash, SNG, big Tourney Finals, all are being developed, but I think the idea is to start with a Cash Game, for all sorts of reasons.

Once we get up to speed - & "if", fingers crossed - we could turn out a great deal of stuff in fact.

Hard to know how all that will fit into 3 nights a week, eh?
  • edited February 2011
    What stakes will it be? - roughly? no lower than 2/5? -  5/10?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not firmly decided yet, but you are in precisely the right area. We neeed to play around wih a few things before deciding. Balance, ensuring we can facilitate the presence of a "low-limit" players, make it all a bit tricky to tick all the boxes.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post : Not firmly decided yet, but you are in precisely the right area. We neeed to play around wih a few things before deciding. Balance, ensuring we can facilitate the presence of a "low-limit" players, make it all a bit tricky to tick all the boxes.
    Posted by Tikay10
    glad theres alot of thought going in for us "bankroll striken" players.

Great news tikay too,
  • edited February 2011
    all very exciting stuff cant wait to hear more, cheers tikay
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post : Potentially, yes, though we'd deffo not copy it, as such. We have some interesting ideas to improve upon that, & there are no plans to copy anyone else's ideas. Cash, SNG, big Tourney Finals, all are being developed, but I think the idea is to start with a Cash Game, for all sorts of reasons. Once we get up to speed - & "if", fingers crossed - we could turn out a great deal of stuff in fact. Hard to know how all that will fit into 3 nights a week, eh?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hints at more new / live show nights?

Any linkup with Sky Atlantic for late night poker on there?

Whatever the plans turn out to be it sounds very very interesting.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Article in Today's Racing Post : Hints at more new / live show nights? Any linkup with Sky Atlantic for late night poker on there? Whatever the plans turn out to be it sounds very very interesting.
    Posted by Machka
    Nooooooooooo!

Sky Atlantic HD is the Home of HBO, don't you know......

By coincidence, I was at the Sky Atlantic HD Launch Party last Fridy evening, representing Sky Poker, in a special poker "speak-easy", dressed in 1930's gear & all sorts.....might even be some Blog material there. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Live cash would be really boring to watch, definately agree with you TK, all about editing it, but I really hope you get stuff like the bet size, pot size, blinds etc shown, i hate when you can't see that on most shows.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes watching Live would be a bit boring, but equally I don't like it when only "Action" hands get shown. I personally prefer to see EVERY hand, just need to speed up the shuffle time etc. Beginners watch the poker shows and don't realise that there is not a big on big situaltion every hand. It's better to see how players react every hand to their position and who the BB is. It will show them the basics like button raising and Cbetting the flop and how effective it can be.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes watching Live would be a bit boring, but equally I don't like it when only "Action" hands get shown. I personally prefer to see EVERY hand, just need to speed up the shuffle time etc. Beginners watch the poker shows and don't realise that there is not a big on big situaltion every hand. It's better to see how players react every hand to their position and who the BB is. It will show them the basics like button raising and Cbetting the flop and how effective it can be.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    that would be quite kl if it worked out not being boring.
  • edited February 2011
    Interesting article in the Racing Post underneath a picture of Ed Giddins seemingly trapped in a triffid garden.  Quoting from the piece written by Jim Cremin: 'Live Sky Poker on the satellite channel celebrated its fourth birthday last week, and significantly signed a deal for a new live cash game on Friday nights that will initially be confined to invited players.' Have they got this right?
    Posted by TommyD
    As Tikay has mentioned the rumours are true. I am hoping to start filming by the end of March and get the first of 12 shows on air by mid to late April. This all depends on delivery of the table, studio sets and training on the new software.
    Once I have more information I will update on here, but if you have any questions let me know
    Thanks