You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
I know more about poker than I used to.....odds......fold equity......calling range......blah blah blah........but I am convinced I am actually a worse player. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way? (about themselves.....not me.....for all the smart alecs). By the way this is the first ever thread I have started so it is not just a moan.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    to be honest i`m not worried about studying poker, yes odds ect helps but it`s all to player + cards your against, yes  do annoyed with any two cards players that hits, but what can you do, as been told dust down and go to next game
  • edited February 2011
    I reckon what happens is as you study the game your success becomes more of a steady climb rather than big swings of luck.

You don't get as many huge 'I can't loose' sessions because you have enough sense to put down the hands that you may have being getting lucky with before.
  • edited February 2011
    if your just playing for fun and your not bothered about loosing some money winning some money then dont study poker. If you are playing to make a real hardcore profit or playing as a job i would study poker due to then you would make more money in the long run.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss:
    I know more about poker than I used to.....odds......fold equity......calling range......blah blah blah........but I am convinced I am actually a worse player. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way? (about themselves.....not me.....for all the smart alecs). By the way this is the first ever thread I have started so it is not just a moan.
    Posted by Maggiesdad
    i seem 2 b having same problem as u, started playing bout a year ago and was pretty successful playing really tight but as iv studied poker and listened 2 analysts on sky poker iv tried 2 b more aggressive but hasnt worked and on a bad run at present, confidence completely shot. tenofspade is rite though bout br management and i shud listen 2 him cos as long as u playing within ur means it not hurt as much. yay this only my 2nd ever post!
  • edited February 2011

When you're a beginner, your expectations are normally low. You don't take yourself seriously, it's fun, and a win is a bonus.

When you start taking it more seriously, your expectations change, and you start expecting to do well, and if it doesn't go well over a period of time, it becomes frustrating. There's no fun in losing anymore, losing is boring, and you lose interest.

Studying poker definitely does not make you worse. It just changes your mind-set/approach to the game, which will make you 'feel' worse when you aren't successful.

• edited February 2011
    knowledge is dangerous, ignorance is bliss!!!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss:
    When you're a beginner, your expectations are normally low. You don't take yourself seriously, it's fun, and a win is a bonus. When you start taking it more seriously, your expectations change, and you start expecting to do well, and if it doesn't go well over a period of time, it becomes frustrating. There's no fun in losing anymore, losing is boring, and you lose interest. Studying poker definitely does not make you worse. It just changes your mind-set/approach to the game, which will make you 'feel' worse when you aren't successful.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

7.18 am  WTF are you just clocking on or clocking off ......... or are you mid-shift.

• edited February 2011
    looking at the post he has put on my thread in the clinic he is at the end of a long one, cant understand it at all!!!!
  • edited February 2011

haha, nope, up bright and early !!!!!

I even logged on and 5 tabled nl4 for an hour !!!!

Stupid dog waking me up, and new PC staring at me making me feel guilty about playing not using it.

double you tea eff = wtf poddington !!!!!!!

SAY WHAT YOU SEE !!!! - If you see it, SAY IT.

• edited February 2011

Studying has improved my game by miles. I can't say it'll work for everybody, but it does for me.

• edited February 2011
    The problem is that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. When you start playing poker you don't know about all the fancy plays and usually just play abc poker. A pretty risk free, profitable way to play the lower stakes games I think. Then you start reading about squeeze plays, stealing the blinds and other bits of advanced stratergy. Some of these are very risky but profitable if you do it in the right spots.

Inevitably you are going to get these advanced techniques wrong the first few times you do it so you should expect to lose money. The thing to remember is to work out where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. As long as you are analyzing your hands (winning and losing) to see where you could have done better, you will become a better player.
  • edited February 2011

Hi Mike.

I used to run great and win lots when i knew less. This is because I was doing the basics well without actually realising it properly at the time.

I then hit a huge downswing when I learnt loads of fancy terms and trying to play fancy poker hit my profit bigtime. In fact I became a losing player for a while.

But getting back to the basics has helped me tremendoulsy and im back on track now! Who needs to four/five bet light and all that baloney. Just play simple and win innit.

Obviously the occasional donkey move does still occur, but only to make it interesting lol.

• edited February 2011
    Interesting thread here. And in many ways I agree with Mike. When I first started I had read no poker books, and just watched a few TV tournies. By playing a lot of tournaments and having a bit of success I quickly found out that raising is better than calling, and that it is an easier game if you are not first to act post flop. And that if you didnt continue to bet post flop you might as well give the pot up.

I also noticed that certain players were easy to bluff against and others were not. Betsizing was important, but instinct would tell me how much to bet in each situation, automatically computing the relative chipstacks,size of blinds, and ability of the other players. As an example I discovered that if I was on a passive table, I could raise after they had all called and scoop up the chips !

As I went along I discovered a few technical terms. I found out that I was Cbetting, 3 betting, squeeze betting, using position, chip dynamics, fold equity and much more besides !

But does knowledge of the names help my game ? Probably not !

As other people on here have posted, the problems come when you hit the downswing. I know a bit about this because I have been through a few ! And it is easier to get into a downswing than to get out of it. A few bad beats and a few mistakes and suddenly there are a few doubts about your own game. That K 10 suited on the button that last week you would have raised with or folded without a thought, suddenly becomes a problem, and you find yourself limp/folding !

Its a confidence game, and playing badly leads you to spiral downwards, the more mistakes you make, the worse you feel, and make more errors.

Watching other players doesnt help, you see Tikay making a success of playing AA only or those creative guys 4 and 5 betting to build chip mountains ! And you know that neither will work for you.

To me, if you are on the downswing, it is the wrong time to read the poker books and it will not help. You will not find the answers you seek. Far better that you take a decent break from the game. Or get a friend to honestly analyse your play. Some thing that works for me when my online game is not going great, is to get out and play live, it can change the negative mindset.

So I believe that studying can make you worse, often you need to think less about the game not more, and trust your experience and instinct.

The best time to read the books is when its going well, it will reinforce your confidence and help your game.

Confidence is all ! I had a nice Open win last night so I am well up for the Vegas semi later.

Good luck

• edited February 2011
    i agree, just play abc poker it does work, i know nothing about bet sizing and i stll make a decent profit!!!!
  • edited February 2011
    I agree as well but also think HoldEm has got better, there are better players now than there were 2 years ago, I am turning my attention to Omaha and HiLo as that is where the money is to made in my opinion, I played a live round of each game at Fox Poker club recently and the Omaha play was terrible, guys making pot sized bets with AAxx and KKxx like they were Holdem hands, I took a lot of pots down wit 5678 and double suited hands and final tabled it, this convinced me that the 4 card game is where the winning player will come from.

My results have gone from up to break even over the last year (to be honest actually losing at present) having said that my live results are at an all time high but learning the 4 card game was a goal of mine and I honestly believe it's where the money is!

Dave
  • edited February 2011
    THE WORLD'S GONE MAD !!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Why do we study poker books? ---- Is it because we want to learn how to play abc poker?--- or because we want to learn how to play like harrington or gus hansen?

Imo, experience is how to learn to play poker, it's an instinctive game, and no book can help us to play--- what we learn by our experience stays hard wired in our poker memory, we don't even know that we know it--- what we learn from a book is soon forgotten. We are constantly put into situations where we have 20 seconds to make our move, what to do? Look it up in a book?--lol-- we have to be playing on our instincts!

Winning poker players don't play abc poker, they play thier own instinctive game, if everyone played the same game there would be no winners, and no losers. If you play abc poker from a book, you are predictable and therefore a soft touch to an instinctive player that has you sussed. Have you ever heard anyone say "I'm a great player because I've read 125 books about how to play poker"?--- My guess is no---

If you want to grind 10 cash tables all day long, you can earn money playing abc poker from a book-- but if you want to become a good player, it's too late!!--- you have already poisoned your poker brain by reading those books!--- In summary--- Individual wolves become great players, not sheep----innit
  • edited February 2011
    i personally hav never read any poker books,ive been playing now for 2 years.Think my game has improved since i started playing,and come on leaps and bounds since i joined sky. I still have a mountain to climb tho,and make to many mistakes at crucial times.But i feel the best way to learn is thru personal expierence,suppose books can guide you,but surely your personality must come thru in your play.Or do we all become drones and play text book poker.
  • edited February 2011
    Some great responses, especially the one from Penguin, thanks Tony.

Just to clarify a couple of points.....

I am still enjoying the game and regularly take breaks, during both winning and losing times (work and life dictate that).

I am comfortably within my real life bankroll and so that is not affecting my decision making (although I am firmly of the belief that brm, important as it is in all forms of poker is most key in cash, especially the way that the game has developed - i.e as long as you are WELL within your br, play any 2, lose a couple of buyins if you must but eventually you will bust someone with your 4 7o and get your money back).

Having said all that, it probably isn't worth bothering to continue the debate if oynutter is right "but if you want to become a good player, it's too late!!--- you have already poisoned your poker brain by reading those books"....lol

I look forward to further views

• edited February 2011
    I've was always good at ball games. I started playing golf in the early 70's and over the years I improved to the point where I was (and still am) a single figure handicapper. My son started playing at the age of 12 and I sent him for lessons from day one. He now plays off -2 (that's 2 better than scratch) and I can't live with his game.

Poker is no different in my mind. If you have an aptitude for it then you will improve with experience. Reading books by exceptionally talented players will only enhance any natural ability you possess and you will be better for it. 

Thank goodness Doctors read books and undergo training, sometimes natural ability just isn't enough.
  • edited February 2011
    Poker is like making love some some you can last for hours and make it to the final table or you muck out on your first hand, no book can help you only experience and play time.
  • edited February 2011
    I've was always good at ball games. I started playing golf in the early 70's and over the years I improved to the point where I was (and still am) a single figure handicapper. My son started playing at the age of 12 and I sent him for lessons from day one. He now plays off -2 (that's 2 better than scratch) and I can't live with his game. Poker is no different in my mind. If you have an aptitude for it then you will improve with experience. Reading books by exceptionally talented players will only enhance any natural ability you possess and you will be better for it.  Thank goodness Doctors read books and undergo training, sometimes natural ability just isn't enough.
    Posted by elsadog
    Good post, Elsadog  !

I can see the obvious benefits of teaching your son golf from the start. But would it have worked as well for you ? Having reached the great level of a single figure handicapper through natural talent, would lessons have helped you ?

From personal experience and the examples of many semi pro players, tuition can have a negative effect, certainly in the short term. Coaches will invariably want to rebuild your swing, and it can result in years in the wilderness. There are examples in the pro game of players who have improved after radical changes, but there are also many instances of people who have lost their game altogether, or reverted to their old natural swing and been successful.

And Mike, dont worry ! oynutter is right that some players may be poisoned by studying, but I dont believe that you got to Vegas by being a sheep. Wolves hunt by instinct, and never lose that. Just remember you are a wolf and keep chasing the sheep !
  • edited February 2011
    When I went on my walk last year I didn't play any poker for 8 weeks. But I took 'Winning Poker Tournments One Hand at a Time'  Vols I and II in my rucksack and read them both several times on my journey so that I wouldn't get too rusty. When I started playing again my results went through the roof.

My current Sharkscope graph is pictured below (I've filtered out my £220 SSDS seat which I won in the LS freeroll). The blue arrow points to the exact moment I resumed playing after returning the walk. After looking at that graph try telling me that reading those books didn't improve my game!

(click to enlarge)

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss : Good post, Elsadog  ! I can see the obvious benefits of teaching your son golf from the start. But would it have worked as well for you ? Having reached the great level of a single figure handicapper through natural talent, would lessons have helped you ? From personal experience and the examples of many semi pro players, tuition can have a negative effect, certainly in the short term. Coaches will invariably want to rebuild your swing, and it can result in years in the wilderness. There are examples in the pro game of players who have improved after radical changes, but there are also many instances of people who have lost their game altogether, or reverted to their old natural swing and been successful. And Mike, dont worry ! oynutter is right that some players may be poisoned by studying, but I dont believe that you got to Vegas by being a sheep. Wolves hunt by instinct, and never lose that. Just remember you are a wolf and keep chasing the sheep !
    Posted by penguin7
    Yeah I suppose we are all different and what works for some doesn't for others.

On the note about re-building golf swings I can only offer Nick Faldo - and there I rest my case :o)
  • edited February 2011
    I think one of the more dangerous attributes of a winning poker player is ego :)

The more you play, the more you know and understand, the more success you have, it becomes easy to deride and under estimate your opponents.  If you think you have the edge it becomes pretty hard to play ABC poker because you know alot of the angles and moves. 

But yeah, i think knowledge and experience can run interference on your game. :)
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss : Yeah I suppose we are all different and what works for some doesn't for others. On the note about re-building golf swings I can only offer Nick Faldo - and there I rest my case :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    Yes, Trevino and Nicklaus both had an unconventional loop in their swings while at their most successful, but my favourite example must be Jim Furyk who also has won loads including a major despite having a swing once described as a one armed golfer trying to kill an octopus in a phone box !

But I am sure they all benefited from coaching at some point in their careers
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Studying poker actually makes you worse.....discuss : Yes, Trevino and Nicklaus both had an unconventional loop in their swings while at their most successful, but my favourite example must be Jim Furyk who also has won loads including a major despite having a swing once described as a one armed golfer trying to kill an octopus in a phone box ! But I am sure they all benefited from coaching at some point in their careers
    Posted by penguin7

Faldo rebuilt his swing and couldn't hit a bulls a*** with a frying pan for a couple of years, then it all paid off and he took the golf world by storm. I take your point about quirky swings and Alex Higgins was the same in snooker. I used to play regularly with the guy who played with Higgins when they were young. He had all the same traits as Higgins and could make a cue ball defy normal physics and that's probably why he was a champion billiards player. Higgins copied this guys style and it was obvious when they played together. I never saw Higgins beat him btw. 

The point is these guys are the exception not the norm. For mere mortals coaching/learning improves. Although Higgins was undoubtedly a genius at snooker he was coached, albeit in an unusual style but coached nonetheless.

ps. On a side note I used to play with the guy who coached David Taylor. He had one eye and regularly played with an overcoat on and a bottle of Mackeson in each pocket. Maybe that's why David Taylor never excelled. :o)

• edited February 2011
    I just think that reading about the tactics of another player in an effort to improve your game, is ultimately bad for the development of your own instinctive game, in other words. I believe that all of your tactics, and every move you make should be as a result of what you have learnt yourself--- If you read a book, it can change your game, therefore, it's no longer your own game, developed by your instincts---- with 20 seconds to act, your game must be instinct, which can't come from a book, winning players are hard to read and have an unorthodox style ( cash grinders can be an exception ), they are playing on their wits, they don't play a game developed by reading a book. Imo, taking notice of anyone else's thoughts on how to play the game, will hinder your development.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone.......I have decided to go back to playing instictively........last straw just happened in Vegas Qtr....10 left, 4 places......Button had min raised my bb a number of times when I had ABSOLUTE junk....I pick up K8o and tell myself that "the book say this is an above average hand" and so I get involved....the flop comes J high ...I min bet he call.....turn brings K.....I bet expecting raise which comes.....go allin.....he has set of J......I am saying this because if I had played my instinctive way, I wouldn't have been in the hand to hit my K on turn.......I am sure it will take  a while to undo all the "learning"......and I will get dog's abuse from some......especially when I suck out......but for ME......maybe not for everone.......but definitely for me.....it's the right thing to do.
  • edited February 2011

THE WORLD'S GONE MAD !!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Now this is getting scary, dohhh another of your posts that I wholeheartedly agree with...plus this earlier one....Studying poker definitely does not make you worse. It just changes your mind-set/approach to the game, which will make you 'feel' worse when you aren't successful.

I don't think I've ever read anything so ridiculous on here as this....."I believe that studying can make you worse, often you need to think less about the game not more and trust your experience and instinct."

Experience and instinct alone are fine if you're a Jedi but for us mere mortals and most of the top winning players/coaches learning from books alongside other training methods are/were the key to success. Sure there are geniuses that prove the exception but Jeez I've just watched a live seminar during which the presenter said he read more than 50 poker books many of them more than 10 times, and guess what, he's a winning player, a successful coach and the author of several highly regarded poker books. I agree playing is an absolute must but there are a ton of things that will improve your game away from the tables, reading poker books is only part of the learning process.

Another staggering comment IMO....“I just think that reading about the tactics of another player in an effort to improve your game, is ultimately bad for the development of your own instinctive game, in other words. I believe that all of your tactics, and every move you make should be as a result of what you have learnt yourself”

Learning from players that are better than us shortens the learning process, plus its a dam site cheaper than playing LOLufold, lJamesl, Sparce et all all day long to see where we are going wrong.

In short Maggiesdad learning will not make you worse, done correctly it can only improve your game, what it won't guarantee however are results because a couple of lost flips will affect short term results, playing 10,000 hands and losing two all in flips above expectation takes a +2bb/100 player to break even, it really is that close. Maybe that's why it's the fish that are so results orientated over very small sample sizes.