You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Double your money... Halve your brain cells. Hoggers' TSP grind thread...

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat

Nice post (for a change) Greg.

Perhaps you could play on after the bubble has burst in these to get some valuable practice in :)

Or.....just stick to late night forum SnG's!! More fun and usually more profitable for you. Locked SnG's FTW!!!

Comments

• edited February 2011

I have now grinded DYM's for well over a month and....

I think I have had enough now....

I need some motivation to continue...

They are mind numbingly boring, even more so than a tikay train story or a stien forum post...:)

The play in them is ridiculous I have seen everything from limp folding for less than 2 big blinds to calling a raise, reraise and a rereraise on the bubble with 87s. Basically the percentages of player types are as follows.

Ooober Nits 20%= (fold their way to the cash without playing a hand will blind themselves out if necessary, they never bet or raise. they only limp.

Standard Nits 40%= a mixture of good, average, and bad nits, some who limp- call, others who bet so big when they have it that its blindingly obvious.

Random Plonkers 30%= unpredictable and dangerous. You never know what they are calling or raising with until you get your AA in against their 87s and either they bink or you double up. Dohhhhhh makes this category!:)

Regular Grindmonkies 10%= I am in this group. The regulars (who are at or near the top of the stt leaderboard... I know how they play, they know how I play but they still pwn me... sigh.

Anyway, I play DYMS because they make me a little money and im on track to at least £100 bonus at the end of the month and a place in the TSP freeroll in April. 

But...Whoever said "DYM's are not poker" I am starting to believe you!

Maybe I should make the switch to russian roulettes, watdyathink?

If it wasnt for the fact I still play mtts along side and the occasional bit of cash, i would actually go insane!

• edited February 2011
    Play a floppin proper game, flups sake!--- see you in the 2.20 deepie!
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Greg,
    What category am I in, I gambled last night with my AJos and took out your kk.
    Sorry about that.
  • edited February 2011
    which category do you fall into gregg
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Double your money... Halve your brain cells.:
    Hi Greg, What category am I in, I gambled last night with my AJos and took out your kk. Sorry about that.
    Posted by wynne1938
    lol rubdownnnn

yeah dyms are brain numbing.  can only tolerate them if im 10 tabling.  dunno how JohnConnor does it tbf

btw how did u do in the 11 deepstack last night?
  • edited February 2011
    Can't agree more gregg, i tried grinding these for a week and just got bored of the "random plonkers" hitting the miricle cards. 2.20 deepie FTW!
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Greg, What category am I in, I gambled last night with my AJos and took out your kk. Sorry about that.
    Posted by wynne1938
    Im going to put you in the random plonker* category Wynne, sorry!  But only cos you beat me with AJ... I take it LML gave you lessons?:)

*you can also keep Dohhhhhh and Young_gun company
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Double your money... Halve your brain cells. : lol rubdownnnn yeah dyms are brain numbing.  can only tolerate them if im 10 tabling.  dunno how JohnConnor does it tbf btw how did u do in the 11 deepstack last night?
    Posted by scotty77
    I bubbled... but you would know about that feeling too!:)
  • edited February 2011

thanks greg.. i looked over the garden hedge and saw your name on the stt leaderboard there and had started to wonder whether i should play some too but now you've put me off.. thank you.  i am staying where the grass in browner.  but i might look over the other hedge to the cash lawn, it look nice.

• edited February 2011
    which category do you fall into gregg
    Posted by thejudge10
    I class my self as a regular grindmonkey

Others might call me different. I hate to think what! I do tend to get some abuse on the dym tables...

The other day, someone said Greg, "all you do is go all-in or fold... thats not poker!"

I think my reply was, "Yup, not really poker, but you dont have to play poker to win at DYMS"

Then i was challenged to a HU match.... You know, the usual stuff. I shouldnt get involved in table chat when im 6 tabling, but i must admit i do sometimes to make it more interesting. And to rofl when i lose to a 2 outer on the river for the 3rd time in a row.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Double your money... Half your brain cells.:
    Nice post (for a change) Greg. Perhaps you could play on after the bubble has burst in these to get some valuable practice in :) Or.....just stick to late night forum SnG's!! More fun and usually more profitable for you. Locked SnG's FTW!!!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Lol Alan

I agree to the locked forum SNG's but my ROI would be so high that sharkscope would need more software to cope. 
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Double your money... Halve your brain cells. : Im going to put you in the random plonker* category Wynne, sorry!  But only cos you beat me with AJ... I take it LML gave you lessons?:) *you can also keep Dohhhhhh and Young_gun company
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Why did i get thrown in here :-(
  • edited February 2011
    spot on with the grind monkey greg,nice playing against ya,even no ya a yido lol
  • edited February 2011

FOLKS! You do realise that Greg is just trying to put everyone off playing these DYM's because he has fluked his way into contention for the League!!

PLAY MORE AND KNOCK HIM DOWN THE TABLE AND REALLY PUT HIM ON TILT!!!! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • edited February 2011
    I agree with you Greg, stopped playing them about 3 weeks ago.
  • edited February 2011
     hi Greg ,i hardly ever play any of these games,i cant see the value in them ...........playing all day ,playing all night ,multi tabling ,for little return ...add to that ,variance ,and rake ,,,,,seems a bit of a waste of time ,,that's my view .........but would just like to ask you Greg ,,,you say you have been playing them for a month solid ,would you be so kind to tell me ,if you made a profit ?,and if so ,are you happy with your profit for the amount of time you spent playing them? ,,,cheers ten
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    I don't play them all day and all night. I play them when i get home from work. I'm off work today. Because i play 6 tables its amazing how quick the league points mount up.

I have made a small profit and any profit is good innit. Also dont forget the cash for points bonus.

But no, my ROI could be better, much better, because when i am 6 tabling i do make mistakes. Also, i have joked about the play in dyms being ridiculous, but its a miles better standard overall than it used to be and to make a consistent profit at dyms (no matter how small) while staying sane is an achievement in itself i think!

I have huuuuuge respect for Johnconnor and Nutter and co... i have no idea how they do it!

I will eventually make the switch to cash. I am just learning to manage my br properly and be disciplined, and when i have the required BR ( i want 70+ Buyins ive decided), i will go and annoy Dohhhhhh on the 20/30nl tables. This will be after April though, as i have decided to stick it out with the dyms and take a shot at TSP!

thanks for your comments everyone... even Alan.... I guess...
  • edited February 2011
    FOLKS! You do realise that Greg is just trying to put everyone off playing these DYM's because he has fluked his way into contention for the League!! PLAY MORE AND KNOCK HIM DOWN THE TABLE AND REALLY PUT HIM ON TILT!!!! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I had a bad session this morning and lost 10 buyins.... the ooober nits were out in force and they were all getting dealt AA. Also the random plonkers were being over agressive so I called them down with hands i normally wouldnt.

I just played badly this morning and got ul = a bad combo.

So I had to vent my frustration somewhere innit!

fwiw, i wont stop grinding these dyms until i have caught up Shanxta anyway!:)

• edited February 2011
    I used to make a very decent profit from DYMs and have made the top 20 on scope for Sky for past 2 years but just got so bored of them!  I found I was playing way too robotic and not really enjoying poker as much as before. 

Another reason for jumping more to cash on Sky is that the higher games (£33, and esp £55+) just don't have the decent traffic here.  

If ur in doubt about jumping onto the .15/.30 cash games on here Greg - watch the cash section from last Thursday's BH show. LOL so passive and poor..........no wonder JJ never wants to leave that level ;)
  • edited February 2011

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii More fish at 30nl ftw    :)

Nah I think your an i diot Greg. 

-------------------------------

Tempted to end the post at that, but I'll elaborate.....

Yeh your an i diot for playing those games, it's a waste of a "talent" - We can debate wether discipline, concentration and persiverence are actually talents, but thats for another thread.......

You would easily be in the top 2% of players at 20 and 30nl. Even though you're a "newbie" and you "don't play cash" .... You would be one of the first names on my list of people to avoid when looking to open my first 4 tables.

If you can 6 table 30nl for 5 hour sessions like you do with dyms....you'll be looking at a MUCH bigger bonus than £100 a month, on top of profit.....which will be massive........

You can make £1k a month "easily".

Even if you only open TT+ and AQs+ you will be a millionnaire in no time.

The above isn't a compliment to you, as you are useless. - Just trying to make you aware of how bad most 30nl tables are.

Stop wasting ya time dude

;)

PS. - u like my spa zz out with A5 in the dym yest???????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited February 2011

I love you Dohhhhhhh

If i would be in the top 2% of players at 30nl (which i doubt) and I am useless (probably correct) I love to think what the other 98% are like!

You make it sound very easy.. I'm sure it isn't. But, i have never grinded cash before, when bankrolled properly, and i think to have 70+ buy ins will make a huge difference to my mentality and i will play better. So ill get that first and watch a bit more cash and then it will be bye bye dyms forever. wiiiiiiiiiii. Im gonna set a target for 15th April to start cash. Hopefully. Or if the cash goes badly, it will be back to the dyms...

I cant remember how your dym exit hand played last night Dohhhhhh but it was awful im sure. I remember thinking, what a random plonker...:)

• edited February 2011

If 30nl regs were football teams.

Ozzie08 - Barcalona.

Corbett04 - Man United.

DOHHHHHHH - Arsenal.

All passive fish - Dagenham and Redbrige

All shortstacking fish - Macclesfield Town.

Stanley644 - Baisingstoke Town.

spdbrkr - The coach and horses sunday morning "ave it" league - 3rd team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greghogg - Wigan Athletic - some winable fixtures for ya there lad. Get yersen promoted
  • edited February 2011

Oh, and Fins is pretty good too.

I guess he could be Sheffield United   ;)
  • edited February 2011
    so where does leyton orient figure
  • edited February 2011
    DYM's are anti-poker.

Playing them makes me want to gouge my own eyes out.

Yeah we all want to win, but it's easier to win if you find what you are doing enjoyable. DYM's can never be seen as enjoyable.
  • edited February 2011
    It took me a long time to discover just how bad it was trying to make the TSP final through DYMs. October through to start of December. And at times I probably qualified for ALL of your categories in an attempt to make it more interesting. Even mixing in a lot of PLO8 didnt really help.

And I did find all that tedium had a negative effect on my tourny play.When I knew I had done enough to get to the TSP STT final I just had to stop. Within a couple of days my brain cells recovered enough to get a few good tournament results and I ended up with a better position in the MTT league with little effort so had to give up my STT seat. All that grinding a total waste of time !

So this time round I am tournies only and probably playing a bit less than normal. My brain doesnt hurt and I am still well in touch in the MTT league and can push for a seat next month. A nice Open win on Friday helped.

One of these days I am going to make a serious effort to adapt my game to cash. I dip my toes in from time but seriously thinking of joining DOHHHH and Phil at 15/30 and making a real go of it.

I am Crystal Palace, JJ  !

• edited February 2011

U mean pod1 Phil??

Phil12 swims with the sharks nowardays. Hope he does really really well and stays there :D

Wish ozzie would cough up there too.

U ever given cash a go in the past penguin? A prolonged go....not jst a few sessions here and there.....?
  • edited February 2011
    U mean pod1 Phil?? Phil12 swims with the sharks nowardays. Hope he does really really well and stays there :D Wish ozzie would cough up there too. U ever given cash a go in the past penguin? A prolonged go....not jst a few sessions here and there.....?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Not for a while. A few years back when away working in Germany, I couldnt play tournies coz of dodgy internet so played cash for a couple of weeks. Started with £100 at 10/20 and moved up through the levels ending up holding my own at 50/100 with a roll of over £1500. Then blew it all in a day at 1/2 !

Now I know a little more about poker and BR management ! I have played a few sessions at 15/30 and 25/50, but find it boring unless I have at least 4 tables up. I probably play too tight to be good. Usually I find that I do well for a while on a couple of tables getting up to doubling my BIs. Then invariably I get involved where I perhaps should not and make a mistake or hit a bad beat or two. Usually against the likes of Scotty77 ! So often I find I have grinded away for an hour and end up with £1.50 profit or even a small loss.

May give it a serious go again this week.
  • edited February 2011
    Step away from the DYMS!!!! Come sit with me at the roulette tables and do an hour 9 tabling RR's. You will make plenty of points, then after that go and play cash!

You really don't need 70+ buyins!! Your a good steady grinder and 70 buyins is waaaaay beyond what you need. I play 9 tables @ 50nl and have 40 buyins in my account and withdraw down to that every sunday night, the lowest i've ever got to is 25 buyins. I don't know if you have a mindset of "Cash play is harder than DYM" or not ( I wouldnt of thought you did) but 20 and 30nl is so easily winable for a player who knows what they are doing.

Get yourself accross to the cash tables and if you see yourself slipping in the leaderboard then just russian roulette your way back up (its great for rakeback)
  • edited February 2011
    lol Penguin you own me, usually multiple times/day :)

and yeah I agree with Flash 70BI is a bit too conservative.  as you are a solid player, and thus unlikely to have huge swings, I reckon anything around 40 is fine.
  • edited February 2011
    seriously penguin if i can make good money at 20/30 you would murder it!!