You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

So lets have a go at this cash game!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    As long as you bankroll properly in cash, there should be no chance of going bust (if your a winning player). Having a 10+ buyins downswing very rarely happens so if you have say 30 buyins, it wouldnt affect you too much. If you did lose 10 buyins there is always the option of moving down stakes and rebuilding. The key thing is to stay positive and confident in your own game. 

Edit: Tikay beat me to it :-(
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game!:
    Very good read this. Best of luck Tony. I made the switch from dyms / mtts solely to cash a few months back. I would class myself as experienced but still needed to change my game quite a bit when i changed!   I feel my game has developed a great deal - definitely more aggressive now. However, I have since struggled to adapt back when playing mtts - I found making decisions with the 'cash head' on where I'd be able to reload in cash whereas in the past i'd have passed and waited for a better spot in mtts.  It's a fine balance but u are good enough to adjust to both. My advise would be to play a cash amount (br permitting) which 'means something'. By nature, ur concentration level is higher, for example in Primo to a £2 mtt, purely from a money standpoint. The same is definitely true to cash.  .15/.30 is a great stake to learn cash with decent players (generally) but also for a meaningful amount. 
    Posted by phil12uk
    Now this is interesting ! So cash has made you more aggressive ? Maybe this is the mental jump I need to make. When on top tournament form I would say my style is pretty aggressive.

If I have 3 or 4 tables open for an hour or so, I feel confident in my ability to edge my stacks upwards across them. But I always have the fear of stacking off on one of them and all that effort going to waste (as happened last night!)So a lot of the time I think I am not as aggressive as I am at MTT, and too tight. I suppose the key must be picking the right spots for aggression.

Your point about needing to play for a meaningful amount to maintain concentration is also very relevant. I am probably overbankrolled to be playing 15/30, a bad outcome like last night was not that important. I drew a blank in tournies too and that cost me a bit more !
    But I will stay here and relish the challenge of beating this level before thinking of moving up.

I dont want playing cash to affect my tournament play. I think I can always spot the cash guys in tournies, they do have a different style (not saying its better or worse !!). But it does highlight the need to develop a cash head separate to my tourny head.

Thanks Phil, see you at Luton !

• edited February 2011
    Yes, Thank you Tikay. It seems strange that I am very unsure of playing cash because of the, how I see it anyway, high losses that could occur if running bad. In MTT's I am getter better at understanding variance/down swings and somehow I am still in profit overall like Tony is. Cash poker fills me with fear ATM due to the possibility of going broke while starting out/learning this particular version of on line poker.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is play at a level well within your bankroll and set a limit to how many buyins you would lose in a session before quitting.

So say you started at 2p/4p and the max buyin is £4,set a limit of only losing two or three buyins at that ammount before logging off for the day. Tbh though that should rarely happen, especially if you're multi tabling.
  • edited February 2011
     In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game! : The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is play at a level well within your bankroll and set a limit to how many buyins you would lose in a session before quitting. So say you started at 2p/4p and the max buyin is £4,set a limit of only losing two or three buyins at that ammount before logging off for the day. Tbh though that should rarely happen, especially if you're multi tabling.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Great advice Dan!
  • edited February 2011
     In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game! : The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is play at a level well within your bankroll and set a limit to how many buyins you would lose in a session before quitting. So say you started at 2p/4p and the max buyin is £4,set a limit of only losing two or three buyins at that ammount before logging off for the day. Tbh though that should rarely happen, especially if you're multi tabling.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    3 and 4 buyin swings happen all the time. Stop playing when this happens is not recommended imo. If you feel your playing fine and just been unlucky I wouldnt stop playing, if there are bad players at the table that you can easily get your money back off, I wouldnt stop playing. However, If I felt I was tilting, or making bad plays, playing bad, whatever, I would stop playing. 

• edited February 2011
    Mr Stroud! Great thread, great stuff. I have a fairly good idea how you play, & I think you'll make a nice steady income if you concentrate on cash games. I'm not quite so sure that you should mix cash, & Tourneys much, though, as the two are very different, & require a completely different mindset. The "Big Boys" tend to take the following line - grind it out on the Cash Tables, nick a few bob regularly, & if they have a good week, treat themselves to a nice Tourney or two, for fun & relaxation. I know hundreds of winning cash-game players. I know a dozen or so winning Tourney players. Largely speaking, one's for money, the other is for fun. See you in Luton, March 12th. Come up on the Friday evening if you can, it'll be a good Friday Night Tourney. 
    Posted by Tikay10

Misclick pre, or mean to limp utg w/j9h?
  • edited February 2011
    I have met Tony at a few SPT events and come across him many times on the tables.  I have great respect for his game and feel sure that he will make a success from the "cash" game as he does from the "tourny" game and I will watch this thread with great interest.

I used to dabble on the cash tables, I have to say very badly.  I had a long chat with GliterBabe about cash in Blackpool and decided to have a serious go at it.  I started at the beginning of November and have had some ups and downs as may be expected.  Like Alan (Maxally) I had the fear of going busto if I had an extended bad run.  The reality has been that, in almost 4 months, I have played about 350 tables at £8nl, £10nl and £20nl, allowing myself a br of 10 buy ins (ie £200).  I play on 3/4 tables at a time (I hate mini view) and have found that even if I have a bad time on one table, the others tend to make up for it.  I lost 23 buy ins in Nov/Dec, 13 in Jan (never more than 1 in any session), but I have not lost any in Feb.  So I have lost my buy in at 10% of the tables I have played.  That does not sound very good and it probably isn't.  However, I must be learning something as whilst I lost money over Nov/Dec, I have turned that round since January and feel confident that I can make progress going forward and I am no longer in fear of losing my br "in a hurry".
  • edited February 2011
    Play a limit for 20k hands, if you beat it for more than 5bb/100 then move up. If not play another 20k hands, if you're crushing, move up. Ez game.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game! : 3 and 4 buyin swings happen all the time. Stop playing when this happens is not recommended imo. If you feel your playing fine and just been unlucky I wouldnt stop playing, if there are bad players at the table that you can easily get your money back off, I wouldnt stop playing. However, If I felt I was tilting, or making bad plays, playing bad, whatever, I would stop playing. 
    Posted by 5toneFace
     So if you lost three buyins due to bad beats it wouldn't put you on tilt ? I know it does for me so I go and have a break.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game! : Misclick pre, or mean to limp utg w/j9h?
    Posted by tiote22
    Not a misclick, just a mistake !
  • edited February 2011
    The reality is, a competent cash player, playing, say, 6 Tables, will rarely lose on the night, & almost never over a week, or a month. In fact, if he/she is "competent", they will almost NEVER lose over say, 1 month periods, or, say, 5,000 or 10,000 hands.
    Posted by Tikay10

this is massively wrong, 100k breakeven stretches are not that uncommon for proffessional 6max grinders (maybe not on sky because tbh sky is softer than the vast majority of sites)
    20+ buyin downswings will be an almost monthly occurence at nl200+

this is a picture of a variance simulator tool for a winrate of 10bb/100 (that is a very very good winrate in todays games)  over 10,000 hands

http://www.evplusplus.com/site_media/images/variance/wr_10.00_sd_80.00_nruns_30_nhands_10000_True_e3mAwI.png
  • edited February 2011
    The reality is, a competent cash player, playing, say, 6 Tables, will rarely lose on the night, & almost never over a week, or a month. In fact, if he/she is "competent", they will almost NEVER lose over say, 1 month periods, or, say, 5,000 or 10,000 hands. 
    Posted by Tikay10

You can go 150k hands breakeven in semi competent games, variance is bigger and more ridiculous than pretty much anyone ever accepts or allows for. There is ALOT of variance in cash poker, there is an INORDINATE amount of variance in tournament poker.

• edited February 2011

Tikay,

I fear you may be leading these guys up the garden path here. Firstly can I get this one straight, a winning player requires a bankroll, a losing player requires a budget. It's fine for AJS to have a 30 buy-in roll, he's a winning player, Greg, Penguin et al have no idea how they will go, they may well beat nl30 and never look back but what if they don't. Neither you nor they know how long it will take them and how many buy-ins they will lose before they are beating the game. If your starting out give yourself a budget to learn the cash game and if you lose it which you probably will get another one, learning costs money there's just no way round it for the majority of us. Only after you have established yourself as a winning player is it time to consider how much to keep in your bankroll.

IMO nobody should expect to rarely lose on the night, & almost never over a week, or a month, it's unrealistic and will only build false expectations and I include competent cash players playing 6 tables. I recently watched a video were the pro explained how he lost 45% of the cash sessions he played, sure he beat his games for a $300,000 annual profit but within a span of 1m hands he encountered a run of 17,000 hands where he lost 20 buy-ins and another 100,000 hands where he made nothing. Eric lieu won big in the first European Cash game and then lost heavily in the second one is he not competent? Durrrr's swings are unreal as are many of the top cash pro's, even the great Dane Gus Hanson lost $5m in 2009 on FT, but won $1.3m in one month alone in 2010. Why would us mere mortals be any different especially when we are starting out.

Stating that in Cash Poker variance is massively less than Tourney Poker is IMO foolhardy as it gives the impression that cash poker is a safer option v tourneys. At NL50 you could lose four buy-ins in a couple of minutes, four days of Primo entry fees, rinse and repeat for a week and your down 28 Primo entries, how big was your budget? Stacks can be won & lost at an alarming rate and it's not a rare occurrence, you have to be able to deal with this and its not easy, confidence can be washed away as quickly as your bankroll/budget. Honestly I have sat at the tables thinking I have absolutely no idea how to play the game (yes scotty77 I know you agree) after taking a sustained run of lost flips, missed draws, continuous coolers and unreal beats ,more than enough to destroy a 30 buy-in roll. Trust me there is plenty of variance in cash poker and when your on the wrong side of it its expensive and no joke.

I hope you all run good, well at least until your sat at my table.

• edited February 2011
    AJS doesn't have a 30BI roll.  He just keeps that amount in his account at anyone time.

I wouldn't be surprised if his actual roll has a zero at the end of it.

And to compare Durr etc to a low stakes 6 max grinder is lol.  A 6 max grinder is never gonna get into half the tricky spots that Durr is gonna be in.

But yeah to expect NOT to have a losing week/month is very unrealistic.

I have absolutely no idea how to play the game (yes scotty77 I know you agree)

lolllllllllll.  nah mate...60nine60 is probably the only reg I think that of tbf :o)
  • edited February 2011
    Honestly I have sat at the tables thinking I have absolutely no idea how to play the game (yes scotty77 I know you agree) after taking a sustained run of lost flips, missed draws, continuous coolers and unreal beats

I think most of us have been here at some stage in our poker careers irrespective of whether we mainly play cash or tournies
  • edited February 2011
    AJS doesn't have a 30BI roll.  He just keeps that amount in his account at anyone time. I wouldn't be surprised if his actual roll has a zero at the end of it. And to compare Durr etc to a low stakes 6 max grinder is lol.  A 6 max grinder is never gonna get into half the tricky spots that Durr is gonna be in. But yeah to expect NOT to have a losing week/month is very unrealistic. I have absolutely no idea how to play the game (yes scotty77 I know you agree) lolllllllllll.  nah mate...60nine60 is probably the only reg I think that of tbf :o)
    Posted by scotty77
    i dont think the first bit is correct. he says the money in his poker account is his roll, the money in his bank is his money he lives on. he said if he lost say 10 buyin he would just drop down stakes and rebuild rather than deposit. although what he would do if he did his whole roll is different.
  • edited February 2011
    My poker gods Scotty we agree on at least one thing....But yeah to expect NOT to have a losing week/month is very unrealistic.

I was using Durrrr for the reasons i am sure you understand not comparing him/them to 6 max cash grinders.

The AJS roll is in danger of becoming a Tikay mantra thou, no matter how big it is or isn't. How many players thought i know i'll play poker, got online and lost, made a second deposit and never looked back. If thats his story and I do not doubt it for a moment he's not the norm and should not be talked of as a guide for the rest of us IMO.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: So lets have a go at this cash game! : i dont think the first bit is correct. he says the money in his poker account is his roll, the money in his bank is his money he lives on. he said if he lost say 10 buyin he would just drop down stakes and rebuild rather than deposit. although what he would do if he did his whole roll is different.
    Posted by hurst05
    oh right sorry.  didnt actually watch all of mastercash.  just think its a bit weird why someone would leave 10kplus online so just assumed that was the reason behind it.
  • edited February 2011
    i would say for a good player 30 buyins is plenty however, enduring my biggest ever losing swing this month i would recommend using the 50 rule like me. just allows for that extra comfort.
  • edited February 2011
    Very good read this. Best of luck Tony. I made the switch from dyms / mtts solely to cash a few months back. I would class myself as experienced but still needed to change my game quite a bit when i changed!   I feel my game has developed a great deal - definitely more aggressive now. However, I have since struggled to adapt back when playing mtts - I found making decisions with the 'cash head' on where I'd be able to reload in cash whereas in the past i'd have passed and waited for a better spot in mtts.  It's a fine balance but u are good enough to adjust to both. My advise would be to play a cash amount (br permitting) which 'means something'. By nature, ur concentration level is higher, for example in Primo to a £2 mtt, purely from a money standpoint. The same is definitely true to cash.  .15/.30 is a great stake to learn cash with decent players (generally) but also for a meaningful amount. 
    Posted by phil12uk
    Going back to the original post. I have the same problem as Phil. Before I played cash regularly I was a consistent winner at MTT's but once I made the change to concentrating on cash I can't do well in MTT's to save my life. Admittedly this may be due to variance as I don't play as many MTT's now, but search me on Sharkscope (Scheduled only because of the Russian roulettes you all know about) and it shows you exactly what I mean.

So as an answer ot combining them both I dont really know. I personally think one or the other is the best way. With the odd weekly MTT thrown in.
  • edited February 2011

Thread gets better!

I'll reply properly (such as I can.....) tomorrow.

We need to remember I am talking about newbie Cash Players, playing, typically, nitty A-B-C poker on 1 or 2 Tables, not high-stakes multi-tablers who play very close to the edge. Different thing entirely.

Of course variance exists in cash poker - but it's way, way, less than in Tourney Poker, by a huge amount. THAT is the important message.

A  newbie, playing conservatively, prudently, nitty poker cannot endure huge downswings, & if they do, they are doing something wrong. Which is a different thing to a downswing!

I am NOT a cash player, by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not qualified to debate too strongly with high-rollers. But recreational newbies, playing sensibly, that's a whole different thing, and is right up my street.

A 150,000 hand downswing? I'm sure you are right. But a recreational player will not play that many hands in their entire life.

It's just about newbie cash players, playing sensibly.

Anyway, enjoy your evening. I'm just off for a 4 Tourney downswing. Mine's been going half a lifetime...... 
  • edited February 2011
    In reply to your thread Stein, I know where you are coming from but Penguin is not "New" to the game, just cash. He has a good MTT record and just wants to try his hand at a different style of play. I don't think a player can go from being a consistent winner at one discipline to losing his bankroll at another, its the same game at the end of the day isn't it?
  • edited February 2011

Oh, I forgot one thing.

You are right - I was wrong to say "never to have a losing month".

A better turn of phrase would have been "a nitty newbie, playing A-B-C conservative poker, is much less likely to have a losing month". If they did, I would not necessarily consider it a "downswing" - that'd be kidding them, & us. It's probable that they are doing something wrong. A different matter entirely. All imo, of course.

Penguin7, for example, is extremly unlikely to have a losing cash month, because he has a solid grasp of the game. But he might.

An edgy high-roller, playing fancy-dan stuff, is far more likely to have bigger downswings.  
    I apologise for the careless wording.
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Penguin this is a very interesting thread and i will look forward to seeing how you progress,all the best mate.
  • edited February 2011
    penguin7Big blind £0.30£0.45£47.08
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

PicardRaise £0.90£1.35£50.10
    BobbyQFold    
    WAGGO31Fold    
    sillymidonFold    
    Ozzie08Fold    
    penguin7Raise £1.50£2.85£45.58
    PicardRaise £3.60£6.45£46.50
    penguin7Raise £7.80£14.25£37.78
    PicardAll-in £46.50£60.75£0.00
    penguin7All-in £37.78£98.53£0.00
    PicardUnmatched bet £3.62£94.91£3.62
    penguin7Show
    • A
    • A

PicardShow
    • K
    • K

Flop

• K

Turn

• Q

River

PicardWinThree Kings£93.11
  • edited February 2011
    Still struggling with posting hands. DAY3 : Started early after failing in Vegas quarter,coz I wanted to watch poker on TV.

Opened 4 tables but found it all a bit messy with lots of comings and goings and shortstacks about. Found few spots on 2 tables and had to top up but ran well on other two getting both stacks up to close to £50. Then it happened as on the post above ! Easy to get tilted here. Decided not to reload, and close that table. Concentrated on trying to recover on the other three. Dont know if that would be everyones choice ? Managed to claw some back on all of them, but not enough. Watching Trickett,Lewis and Timoshenko now, tomorrow is another day.

Jaworzno     Loss  £30

Legnica        Profit £23.26

Sandmoor    Loss   £9.75

Gotts Park    Profit  £4.06

So I was lucky to only show a loss of £12.43 on the night and it leaves me still just in front so far by a princely sum of £14.26

I thought the opposition was tougher tonight, does the quality of players vary that much earlier or later in the evening ? Sillymidon I thought dangerous and also Fins who I know well from tournies.

• edited February 2011
    I do have a 30 buyin roll, my main game is 200nl (I play 100 to 300 depending on whos at tables) so thats 6k. Once a week I take my profit off. If I did drop below 3k I would only play 100nl. The lowest I have ever been doing this method is 3500 in my account. I only play tables I comfortbly beat. Hence I am not always on every 200nl table. I never deposit so if I did ever go on a major downswing I would just move down a level. Reason for this is 1) I like to keep poker money seperate to my savings  2) My savings are very important to my future as I have no steady income. 3) When would I stop depositing, could be quite costly. 4) If you are good player you will be back up levels in no time.

As for what tikay said I can only go on my experience. I regular have losing nights. Its very rare for me to have a losing week and I have never had a losing month.

As for advice for opening poster, I think he should leave a grand in his account at end of this month and just play cash for march. A month should give him an very good idea how good he is and can take into account c4p bonus.
  • edited February 2011

As for advice for opening poster, I think he should leave a grand in his account at end of this month and just play cash for march. A month should give him an very good idea how good he is and can take into account c4p bonus.

Thanks for that, I am sure that is very good advice. I would definitely miss playing tournaments but if I am to really make a go of playing cash it probably needs to be that way.
    Not ready yet to make that decision though, I need to convince myself that I am good enough and also that I will enjoy it enough !
  • edited February 2011

"As for what Tikay said I can only go on my experience. I regular have losing nights. Its very rare for me to have a losing week and I have never had a losing month"

AJS you don't have to go off your own experience alone, simply reading this thread would tell you there are others on here and many far more talented players in the wider poker community who experience variance that suggests you may have been fortunate to escape such a run thus far. I am not doubting your talent but on the rare occasions I have run into you, run good much seems a fair tag.

In any case players entering cash games for the first time should not IMO use your experience as a yardstick, your story appears to be the exception to the many players I know, the majority of us are not blessed with your talent and good fortune. I know I have had to work very hard to post profitable results and I have had many, many losing months along the way, not as positive as your story but I'm sure its closer to what most players will experience.