You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Time To Build A Bank Roll

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
Does exactly what it says on the tin, time to actually start taking this seriously instead of doing eratic things in a few weeks going to start a fresh by depositing a fair amount and start things seriously but this time no cash tables as that has what has got me in trouble in the past lol

so if anyone has any tips that may help me with building a decent bankroll please feel free to add as I would appreciate the advice.

Ps. i know cash tables is where the money is but i'm in it for the long haul now not worried about making a crazy amount as quick as possible.

thanks 

Comments

• edited March 2011
    The small stakes deep stacks are very good value for building a bankroll from a small deposit--- but beware of the high loonie count after 10 o'clock-- floppa whoppa!!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll:
    The small stakes deep stacks are very good value for building a bankroll from a small deposit--- but beware of the high loonie count after 10 o'clock-- floppa whoppa!!
    Posted by oynutter
    I would say that the deepstacks are actually a bad way to be looking at building a bankroll.  The variance in tournies are massive plus the potential winnings in these kind of tournies aren't actually that great percentage wise.  Having said that, they are very good value and offer a lot of play so always a good tournie to play if you have the time.

2p/4p cash is the way forward to grind up a roll.  Also I believe that Doh/Gregghogg, amoung others, have had some considerable success in the DYM games at the £5/10 level.  While that may be out of your roll at the moment, I'm sure if you pick their brains/stalk their post history for tips then there styles can be easily transfered to the £1/2 DYM games.

Good luck.
  • edited March 2011
    i have the exact same problem as the original poster i often deposit £25 and turn that 25 into a fair amount maybe 150-200 after a few days, but then i start to get bored or greedy and play cash, far bigger then i should.for example last night i took down a 2.20 deepie,won about 30 quid which i should put towards a good few 5 quid dyms or maybe some 4/8 cash ..BUT NO i am a smart boy so i am sitting with most my roll st a nl50 table...

i need the same help as you delaney, maybe we can sponsor each other like a couple of addicts
  • edited March 2011
    Builing a bankroll in my experience is all about momentum.

Once you get a start, (put 50 on and get it upto 100) it becomes easier to concentrate and focus on keeping it going.....

If you break your momentum, by running/playing bad, and drop back from £100 to 50, the chances are the rest of it is going to go the same way....

Once you get a start, try and keep it going.

I can't understand the people who build it up, say £50 into £500....and then blow it......You guys must just have too much money.

I've worked so hard to build mine over the years, that I do everything I can to protect it. Obv this has it's own negative implications, as I will still be at 30nl in 2021 (lol) but I'd much rather have it this way than have to deposit every month.

Look at building a bankroll as a challenge, and when you have the momentum, try and keep it going in the right direction, coz once it turns on you, it's really hard to get it going for you once again....

Imagine doing a 1,000 word jigsaw puzzle, then having to break it up and put it back in the box. It would break my heart :(
  • edited March 2011
    Play 2p/4p for a month until you have lots of monies. Only play very good hands, bet strong and win. Then move up to 4p/8p and repeat. 
  • edited March 2011
    dohhh boy i guess it is beacuse i still just look at poker as a luagh,a bit of fun something to do for a while when the missus is not around

it is  more of a mental thing, when i deposit that cash i am in my mind spending it..i am slowly learning my lesson though..a few weeks ago i ran great and got my 25 quid up to 340 in about 3 days, went onto master c ash 300 tables and had my aa cracked, NED OF ROLL..

it was there that i discovered variance...i played well, as good as i could but the poker gods were teaching me a lesson...if i ever get up to 300 quid again its dyms, small tourneys and micro cash for me!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    what i have started doing is have a seperate bank account for poker, transfer say £100 in to your poker bank account. Ive been playing three tables at NL10 so i deposit £30-£40 in to my sky account, i then play say a 5 hour session and what ever i have made at the end of the night i withdraw back to my bank. As my money management skills are very poor  i do it this way as if i see £300 in my poker roll i'd be so tempted to play higher hope this helps 
  • edited March 2011

Well there's the problem then, you aren't taking it seriously enough.

You're either playing purely for enjoyment, which you're prepared to pay for.

Or you're taking it seriously, in which case it's not gonna be as much fun as it's a hard grind. 

Or u cud always spend more time with ur lass......
  • edited March 2011
    Well there's the problem then, you aren't taking it seriously enough. You're either playing purely for enjoyment, which you're prepared to pay for. Or you're taking it seriously, in which case it's not gonna be as much fun as it's a hard grind.  Or u cud always spend more time with ur lass......
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

well that last option is just stupid!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Builing a bankroll in my experience is all about momentum. Once you get a start, (put 50 on and get it upto 100) it becomes easier to concentrate and focus on keeping it going..... If you break your momentum, by running/playing bad, and drop back from £100 to 50, the chances are the rest of it is going to go the same way.... Once you get a start, try and keep it going. I can't understand the people who build it up, say £50 into £500....and then blow it......You guys must just have too much money. I've worked so hard to build mine over the years, that I do everything I can to protect it. Obv this has it's own negative implications, as I will still be at 30nl in 2021 (lol) but I'd much rather have it this way than have to deposit every month. Look at building a bankroll as a challenge, and when you have the momentum, try and keep it going in the right direction, coz once it turns on you, it's really hard to get it going for you once again.... Imagine doing a 1,000 word jigsaw puzzle, then having to break it up and put it back in the box. It would break my heart :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

A Big +1 to this. I have lost count of the number of times i have built a decent roll and then donked it off by moving up in cash and bigger buy in tournies. IMO when moving up you should tighten your bankroll requirements. For example if you are comfortable at ,say 4nl, with a 50x buy in roll i would suggest increasing that to maybe 70 buy ins as you move up. This is due to the fact that you will have wider swings initially until you adjust you game for the new level.
    In my case i started on Sky with a fiver birthday prezzie off them and got up to about 600 then blew it. Last month i deposited 20 and am now back up to 270, from playing 4nl, 2.20 bh and up to 5pound dyms. Oh, and of course the DTD LL on Mondays.
    My biggest problem is indiscipline and i am thinking about doing a bankroll thread like Trebors at some point as i feel that this could instill some discipline.
  • edited March 2011

I find my thread helps but I still get tempted to buy into MTT's I can't really afford, just in the hope of landing the big one. It defo helps in terms of my cash play as shown in my results.
  • edited March 2011
     I find my thread helps but I still get tempted to buy into MTT's I can't really afford, just in the hope of landing the big one. It defo helps in terms of my cash play as shown in my results.
    Posted by 68Trebor

trebor can i have a link to your thread
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Time To Build A Bank Roll:
    Does exactly what it says on the tin, time to actually start taking this seriously instead of doing eratic things in a few weeks going to start a fresh by depositing a fair amount and start things seriously but this time no cash tables as that has what has got me in trouble in the past lol so if anyone has any tips that may help me with building a decent bankroll please feel free to add as I would appreciate the advice. Ps. i know cash tables is where the money is but i'm in it for the long haul now not worried about making a crazy amount as quick as possible. thanks 
    Posted by delaney09
    Del you'll be fine m8 as long as you never play  A3 diamonds m8 lol
  • edited March 2011

Jesus don't know how to do links, but oput in diary and Trebor 68 in search and you will find 'diary of a losing recreational player' Hope you enjoy.
  • edited March 2011
    thanks everyone for the replies much apreciated... that is kind of what i have been doing for the last 18months dohhh depositing to try and take it serious bu then end up blowing it out of enjoyment, so really i was just thinking last night i cant keep depositing blowing that then repeating it through, i find that i used to blow it really out of boredom, so trying to really find a plan i can stick to to avoid becoming easily bored and venturing out of my league to higher stakes.

LOL scouse that was just mad last night A3 diamonds took me out twice then appeared in the final table of the TOTY and took someone out lol and robbie said he had a3 and took someone out with it lol
  • edited March 2011
    I used to have this problem so badly, always played cash often made a decent amount from 20/30 quid on varoius sites then ended up losing the lot, easier to say than do but with bankroll management, patience and not playing when your tired or not in the mood and you should be fine if your a decent player.
  • edited March 2011
    set one or two goals before each session, play without distraction & don't play drunk...
  • edited March 2011
    set one or two goals before each session, play without distraction & don't play drunk...
    Posted by yoyo
    Nice avatar, Julie......
  • edited March 2011
    yeah thats exactly what i used to do ben elsewhere deposit a max buy in for a big table sit on it if i double or treble it leave if i lose it come off lol and thats where i find i go wrong i'm easily distracted the second part im fine with cause i dont drink lol
  • edited March 2011
    Dont think about it as how much money you have in your bankroll, think about it like you would any game, your playing with points to make more points use your skill and bankroll management to increase your points, move up and down the levels that your skill and points dictate, its alot easier to lose points than it is money.
    What do points make??
  • edited March 2011
    the best way to stop yourself going onto those types of tables is just tell yourself" i aint good enough". its true, if you were you would have a roll to back it up. dont get me wrong i do treat myself to a shot at levels i shouldnt be playin, i play nl20/30 and if i have had a really good session  £100+ i will go to nl50 for a game of hu. only got 1 player to beat and even if i lose i still got £50+ left added on to br. personally it would scare the  poo poo out of me to seat at a six handed table with the whole of my roll in front of me. i play for a laugh, but i also remember it took me 3mnths to build it up, i aint blowin it in 1hr!!!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Time To Build A Bank Roll:
    Does exactly what it says on the tin, time to actually start taking this seriously instead of doing eratic things in a few weeks going to start a fresh by depositing a fair amount and start things seriously but this time no cash tables as that has what has got me in trouble in the past lol so if anyone has any tips that may help me with building a decent bankroll please feel free to add as I would appreciate the advice. Ps. i know cash tables is where the money is but i'm in it for the long haul now not worried about making a crazy amount as quick as possible. thanks 
    Posted by delaney09
    I think the key is to understand what your strongest variant of poker is and focus on it. Myne was HU Turbo SNGs (£5). I deposited £50 in early december and by the end of december cashed out £500 and left a bit in, then been regularly cashing out on profits until last week when i had £270 left after my cash for point bonus, since then donked £160 and cashed out my last £110 last night.  

When I come back I want to focus on the standard heads up play rather than turbos, will try to 4 table to get good volume in as the turbos where starting to become a luck fest with bad beat and outdraws becoming the norm.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Time To Build A Bank Roll : I think the key is to understand what your strongest variant of poker is and focus on it. Myne was HU Turbo SNGs (£5). I deposited £50 in early december and by the end of december cashed out £500 and left a bit in, then been regularly cashing out on profits until last week when i had £270 left after my cash for point bonus, since then donked £160 and cashed out my last £110 last night.   When I come back I want to focus on the standard heads up play rather than turbos, will try to 4 table to get good volume in as the turbos where starting to become a luck fest with bad beat and outdraws becoming the norm.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    they always were a luck fest.  you winning over a couple of months is just an extended run of luck.  nothing against you or your game its just that the struture allows very little skill.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : they always were a luck fest.  you winning over a couple of months is just an extended run of luck.  nothing against you or your game its just that the struture allows very little skill.
    Posted by scotty77

did u manage to get a seat through the satellite for the 4k open tonight i was on your table for a little while then got moved and went card dead luckily i watched the entry bubble burst on my table and just made it in
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : they always were a luck fest.  you winning over a couple of months is just an extended run of luck.  nothing against you or your game its just that the struture allows very little skill.
    Posted by scotty77
    VVVV wrong.

Skope Gaza599, he's crushing the sng leaderboard this year.

I'm on it, as is Gooner.

In the case of the 2 G's - All profit is from HU turbos

People under-estimate the skill in them, this makes them profitable.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : did u manage to get a seat through the satellite for the 4k open tonight i was on your table for a little while then got moved and went card dead luckily i watched the entry bubble burst on my table and just made it in
    Posted by delaney09
    yep GL.

ok then doh i accept that there is a skill set to them.  however they are gonna be far more high variance than most other forums of poker so your gonna need to be far higher rolled than for cash/dym
  • edited March 2011
    Builing a bankroll in my experience is all about momentum. Once you get a start, (put 50 on and get it upto 100) it becomes easier to concentrate and focus on keeping it going..... If you break your momentum, by running/playing bad, and drop back from £100 to 50, the chances are the rest of it is going to go the same way.... Once you get a start, try and keep it going. I can't understand the people who build it up, say £50 into £500....and then blow it......You guys must just have too much money. I've worked so hard to build mine over the years, that I do everything I can to protect it. Obv this has it's own negative implications, as I will still be at 30nl in 2021 (lol) but I'd much rather have it this way than have to deposit every month. Look at building a bankroll as a challenge, and when you have the momentum, try and keep it going in the right direction, coz once it turns on you, it's really hard to get it going for you once again.... Imagine doing a 1,000 word jigsaw puzzle, then having to break it up and put it back in the box. It would break my heart :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    defo agree with post, what i did with my bankroll was to set limits, starting playing 30-60p dym and £1 hu , once i hit a target amount of £100 i stepped up to £1-2 dym and £1-2 hu, once i hit this target of £500 i moved up to 5dym and 5hu with target set at £1000 , ive now moved up to £10 dym but still play £5 dym mainly due to traffic. so if i lost alot of games and went below my target i had set i would drop down in my levels until i reach my target again. also playing in the value deepstack's normally gives yours bankroll a boost. a steady increase in your bankroll is probably better than a sharp increase and than having a sharp decrease i.e climb the mountain to quick then falling off once you reach the top!!! so in other words u want an everlasting mountain.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : defo agree with post, what i did with my bankroll was to set limits, starting playing 30-60p dym and £1 hu , once i hit a target amount of £100 i stepped up to £1-2 dym and £1-2 hu, once i hit this target of £500 i moved up to 5dym and 5hu with target set at £1000 , ive now moved up to £10 dym but still play £5 dym mainly due to traffic. so if i lost alot of games and went below my target i had set i would drop down in my levels until i reach my target again. also playing in the value deepstack's normally gives yours bankroll a boost. a steady increase in your bankroll is probably better than a sharp increase and than having a sharp decrease i.e climb the mountain to quick then falling off once you reach the top!!! so in other words u want an everlasting mountain.
    Posted by ROBBIEROTT
    Brag posts FTW :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : VVVV wrong. Skope Gaza599, he's crushing the sng leaderboard this year. I'm on it, as is Gooner. In the case of the 2 G's - All profit is from HU turbos People under-estimate the skill in them, this makes them profitable.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Exactamundo, when you play 3k games and show a good profit that is not luck. True variance has got the better of me in my mind at the moment, but I know I can beat this game. Dohhhh, gaza559, nutter5932, loki1 and a few other have all made  money at turbos.