You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Time To Build A Bank Roll

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Interesting thread this. Many different ideas about the way to go to build your BR, HU sngs, low level cash, deep stacks, DYMs.

To me this just shows how much it varies from player to player, and the important thing is to know what is most profitable for you. So keep a log of each format and after a while you will find out in which type of game you are most successful and where you are donking off your cash.

Then stick to what you know best.

Agree with JJ 100%. If you have built a bankroll over a period of time it becomes sacred. I have taken money out from mine but will never put any more in. If I lose it I will probably give up the game for good.
  • edited March 2011
    I,d go along with a lot of the above and realy listen to the advice given and be disciplined enough to apply it.

I,d play the 2p/4p tables as suggested for at least a month, but be prepared to get bored and seriously frustrated at times , but you BR should start to build

I know you  like playing tourneys, but just stick with low stakes ones or the odd satelite depending on how much you have won on the cash tables. (I tend to use them as a treat if ive done ok at cash)

you should be able to move up after this, but the hard thing i,ve found is adjusting from 2p/4p to 5p/10p as playing at 2p/4p  for so long will not improve your game, so when you step up the levels you  have to adjust your play accordingly and concentarte a bit more - maybe play less tables

This is just 1 idea out of a few, but as Penguin said and I think I,ll be taking some of his advice about trying things and seeing what works best for you

GL
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll:
    In Response to Re: Time To Build A Bank Roll : yep GL. ok then doh i accept that there is a skill set to them.  however they are gonna be far more high variance than most other forums of poker so your gonna need to be far higher rolled than for cash/dym
    Posted by scotty77
    turbo hu sngs are higher variance than regulars, i play alot of them between 6max and i play the regular ones, because my edge is so big over most of my opponents i avoid flips so the games can drag on, with the turbos you can play a higher volume and take the marginal spots so i guess they can kinda even out profit wise, so basically my thinking is if your playing 3x more turbos than regulars the variance should even out.

i also think if you have an edge hu is less variance than 6max, if you play someone of similar ability hu then its alot higher variance
  • edited March 2011

Can you teach me to play HU N1ck.

I only win because the players are REALLY bad. I want to learn to beat bad players, as well as REALLY bad players.

:(
  • edited March 2011
    If I lose it I will probably give up the game for good.
    Posted by penguin7
    I think you'll be alright for a while after last Sunday :)
  • edited March 2011
    started playing the turbo HU's today just to get a feel for them with what i have left in my BR at the moment before i put a fresh deposit just playing the £1.10 and £2.20 ones started playing about 2pm played 3 won 3 think i could get used to these nice and quick and even though its not a massive profit it is slow and steady
  • edited March 2011
    Can you teach me to play HU N1ck. I only win because the players are REALLY bad. I want to learn to beat bad players, as well as REALLY bad players. :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    just start off playing default/straight forward then adjust to counter how they play when you work them out, if you playing turbos i would defo be only min opening the button as default, and if your playing fish you can open x3 with big hands as they dont take any notice of bet sizes, your no1 priority is to categorise your opponent asap
  • edited March 2011
    time to start my challenge and deposit with a fresh start this wonderful hand made me busto LOL
    delaney09 Small blind   10.00 10.00 1170.00
      Big blind   20.00 30.00 800.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

delaney09 Raise   60.00 90.00 1110.00
      Call   50.00 140.00 750.00
    Flop

• K

Check        
    delaney09 Bet   105.00 245.00 1005.00
      Call   105.00 350.00 645.00
    Turn

Check        
    delaney09 Bet   262.50 612.50 742.50
      Call   262.50 875.00 382.50
    River

Check        
    delaney09 All-in   742.50 1617.50 0.00
      All-in   382.50 2000.00 0.00
    delaney09 Unmatched bet   360.00 1640.00 360.00
    delaney09 Show
    • A
    • A

Show

Win Full House, 2s and 5s 1640.00   1640.00
  • edited March 2011
    so for the last 2 and a half hours i did what some suggested played a little 4nl.... one thing grinding is tiring but did okay sat with the maximum of £4 got an early double up and ended up leaving with £22 so +4.5 BI's not going to complain if i can keep that up for the next couple weeks i should be good to go, but obviously I know right round the corner will be that bad word "variance" when that hits it will be time to take a couple of days break then go at it again, and so on

well i am grinded out for tonight/morning

good night
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Time To Build A Bank Roll:
    Does exactly what it says on the tin, time to actually start taking this seriously instead of doing eratic things in a few weeks going to start a fresh by depositing a fair amount and start things seriously but this time no cash tables as that has what has got me in trouble in the past lol so if anyone has any tips that may help me with building a decent bankroll please feel free to add as I would appreciate the advice. Ps. i know cash tables is where the money is but i'm in it for the long haul now not worried about making a crazy amount as quick as possible. thanks 
    Posted by delaney09
    Hi. I had to withdraw a large chunk of my bankroll this week which left me £150. I played in the open for £22 last night:Yes i know i shouldn't: but i noticed how much my game changed. Instead of going for the win i was playing to cash to which i came 36th and got £39. like you i have to start again. The way i built my bankroll to start with was playing the bounty hunters. pick on the weaker players get thier head prizes and build a stack with a bit of luck youll make the final table. A coulpe of good cashes youll soon be on your way. gl
  • edited March 2011
    Bankroll,god what do i say,i hve two ways of playing,sloid poker making small profits,then dunno what happens,i go to the other extreme,thinking if i put my cash in the middle everybody will fold.So back to the start again,but how good does a hero call feel when you get it it right,even if it is 1 out of 10 times lol
  • edited March 2011
    so tonight i managed to satellite into the primo for £2 and pennies had a really good start getting the essential early double up 3 hands in then pretty much went card dead until just before the break where i managed to take out a short stack, and went into the break with 5k had a decentt start after the break quickly peaking to 6500 with a flopped straight,

then the disaster made a terrible misclick which i could not recover from i had A-2 clubs blinds 50-100 in position so i just limped and someone raised to 350 got one caller so i thought another 250 into 800 i had a good chance in seeing a cheap flop and hitting it pretty big, anyways flop comes 10 6 Q 2 clubs and theres a raise of 300 then a min raise back to 600 i do call the 600 then one of the guys shoves for around another 2500 and the other guy is all in for around anohter 1200 i thought about it for a few seconds then decided i was not going to call but was not really looking so thinking the cursor was over fold i clicked to my annoyance to see my chips go in the middle SIGH i am now left with about 2200 i manage to double up with AK v A7 before going out AKvAQ Q on the flop never mind only £2 loss

so decided i would play a bit of 4nlO bought in for max and walked off with 12 after only playing for about 20 minutes pretty loose players who didnt really have much idea for the game it seemed so overall not a terrible night and a bit of profit made