You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in?:
    c/c, c/c, c/c. Even if he doesnt bet the river it makes your range a lot stronger vs him in these spots and hes less likely to bluff you so you get cheaper showdowns.
    Posted by offshoot
    why would you just c/c all 3 streets? just curious. arent you wanting to get the maximum when you hit such a big and disguised hand like a set? or are you suggesting this purely on the basis that if we get ourselves in the same position next time with a weaker hand you can get to showdown cheaper!? but then surely if he does fire the 3rd barrell it would be a better idea to ship it, then i presume we get his whole stack and maximise our profits, then if it happens next time he will most definately check behind to showdown scared of the same move.

cheers

Hurst
  • edited March 2011
    i think hurst its more about player v player in this case rather than standard play in this situation.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in?:
    In Response to Re: Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in? : why would you just c/c all 3 streets? just curious. arent you wanting to get the maximum when you hit such a big and disguised hand like a set? or are you suggesting this purely on the basis that if we get ourselves in the same position next time with a weaker hand you can get to showdown cheaper!? but then surely if he does fire the 3rd barrell it would be a better idea to ship it, then i presume we get his whole stack and maximise our profits, then if it happens next time he will most definately check behind to showdown scared of the same move. cheers Hurst
    Posted by hurst05
    when he fires the 3rd bet on the river it should be for stacks anyway if hes good, i really like this concept i think you get the best of everything vs a good thinking player
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in? : why would you just c/c all 3 streets? just curious. arent you wanting to get the maximum when you hit such a big and disguised hand like a set? or are you suggesting this purely on the basis that if we get ourselves in the same position next time with a weaker hand you can get to showdown cheaper!? but then surely if he does fire the 3rd barrell it would be a better idea to ship it, then i presume we get his whole stack and maximise our profits, then if it happens next time he will most definately check behind to showdown scared of the same move. cheers Hurst
    Posted by hurst05

if we check call all the way i was assuming he would be shoving the river. Getting to showdown cheaper in the future is just an advantage of check calling but not the reason for doing it.

• edited March 2011
    I like the C/C concept here.  My only reservation with it is the villain will check back the river a lot of the time and that's normally the big bet we're trying to get.  I would be tempted to lead the river (board dependant) but I can't deny the advantages of this villain falling off his chair when he checks back and you flip over a set ;)
  • edited March 2011
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Mid set oop against V good TAG reg in 3bet pot - How to get the money in? : if we have a set in a 3bet pot vs a good reg on this board it should be a given that we stack an overpair, so i would be trying to get the most value out of his non pair or weak pair hands so by calling we let him bluff and value town himself with Jx if you are going to raise the flop, i actually prefer minraising the flop rather than shoving
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Dohhh thanks for the update on how it went, given what u said about villian it was a profitable push,
    Although I would have played it the same way LOL_Raise said, why is it profitable? given what you have said about villian I would reckon u have to give him these odds, he holds a high pair 60% of the time he holds trips 10% of the time probably less but just to make an easy calculation and he is bluffing high cards smaller pairs Jx hands all of what he will lay down after the push 30% of the time.
    So based on that the pot would be £43
    So if we push and he calls with all overpair hands we win 60% x 92% = 55% we win 43 = £24
    If we push and he calls with trips we win 10% x 96% = 10% we win 43 = £4.3
    If we push and he folds all other hands we win £16.45
    So pushing we would expect value giving those figures of £28.30
    But calling to see if he will fire out again or when he hits u reckon he might fire out again 10% on a bluff, say he 3/4 pots then the pot is now £26.45 after which point if you call I think he is shutting down.
    If he hits his overpair 36% of the time u will probably get value of about the same figure 80% of the time and he is shutting down 20 % of the time
    So without going into the calculations we would expect to win £22 so pushing is the more profitable play against this particular villian

PS unlucky on the hand but according to the Math it was a +ve play