You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Changes to "Team Sky Poker" Qualification

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Changes to "Team Sky Poker" Qualification:
    lol @ the people moaning about not getting cash. you are idiots. thats all.
    Posted by scotty77

Dont beat about the bush Scotty, say what you mean m8.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Changes to "Team Sky Poker" Qualification : But you can, simply by allowing people to sell the place on the team. Job done, everyones happy, and you will have a very competative TSP final.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I can't see that happening. It will defeat the whole object of the league system and quarterly tournament. All the players with a big roll who want to be on the team would stop chasing points (hence Sky lose rake) and just buy their way in. Who gets to buy it? Do you have an auction? Does it get offered to the 7th place finisher in the tournament? What if that person wants to sell it too, and 8th and 9th do too? What if all 6 winners want to sell? It would be too messy and controversial. Also, players who buy-in their way in would get far less respect than those whose who've won their place in the team the hard way.
  • edited April 2011
    I think people are coming down a bit hard on Chillie here. He's one of a group of players who used to win juicy cash prizes in the points league each month as well as getting a seat in the League Stars freeroll, which offered the chance to win more cash (before it became a deepstack satellite). This announcement effectively marks the end of league points being a means of making money. Not everybody aspires to be in TSP. As a recreational low-stakes player who will never win enough league points to get a shot at getting into TSP under the new system, or win league prizes under the old system I can look at this impartially. I like the TSP concept, it's exciting and I can see why many of the sites elite players are battling to get in the team, but I also have sympathy for the regs who used to make a fair bit of money off league points but have now had that taken away and for those players who have no interest in playing live and being on TV. This is one of those 'you can't please all the people all the time' situations. Most people like the changes, but Chillie is one of those losing out. I've noticed that some other regs who always used to finish near the top of the leagues are playing much less these days, probably for the same reason that Chillie isn't happy. The TSP concept gets a thumbs up from me, but Chillie doesn't deserve to get flamed for not liking it.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    thank u garyqqq for your post im glad u relise my play and what i play for which has now been taken away i work for a living and have a young family im not interested to going to a torni so tsp dont interest me one bit and i would like to know how there was a debate about the cash who would moan about that this format only benifits online pros just like all the changes sky make and scotty its not a free torni players have payed a lot of rake to get there which sky rely on
  • edited April 2011

The seller wins the right to sell it to any other player who has made the top 90, so you can't just buy your way in, you still need to make the final.

Alternatively, and more realistically, whoever finishes 2nd, third, 4th gets first opportunity to buy the seat. If 2nd doesnt want it, third can have it. In this case it would be a fixed 1k figure to buy it.

Obviously you can't buy it then sell it on again, if you buy it, you join the team.

It wouldn't be messy, it's very simple.

Respect is just a word, who cares about respect in the real world, I'd rather have a thousand 1 pound coins please, or 500 2 pound coins. 
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Changes to "Team Sky Poker" Qualification :   and scotty its not a free torni players have payed a lot of rake to get there which sky rely on
    Posted by CHILLIE

But you paid that rake  willingly, before Sky introduced TSP.
    Once that rake is paid, it is SkyPoker's to do with as they please (i.e. it is not our money any more).
    SP chooose to use that in a number of ways, TSP, Cash for Points, Freerolls etc....

I think it's ok to have a little moan if you are  not happy, and by all means suggest alternatives for SP to consider, but 'what a joke' is obv a bit OTT.

Also ' as usual Sky changing the rules to suit themselves', well of course they are, it's a business they are running, not a charity!

I can't play in the final this month (sigh), but I don't feel aggrieved..... I knew the rules before the start of the period, and it's my bad luck that they don't suit me.

I also know the score for the next period, and can decide to play as much, or as little, as I want to on here.... or to go and play elsewhere if  that is better for me.

• edited April 2011
    I like the changes personally, I agree with the "Its not in the spirit" comment from Tikay. Its no different to playing a satelite into a tourney. You're playing for the seat (OK occasionally there is money left over, but nobody is playing for that). So just treat the league as a free seat into a satelite...

In reply to Gary's comment. I dont think the money bonus is as great as you thought it was, Yes winning £250 or what ever it was is great, but if you think how much these guys have played to get 1st. They must of played 3-4k's worth of buyins on MTT and STT, and god knows how much money LOL_RAISE has put on the table in the last 3 months, when you are 12 tabling from 500nl to 100nl, then a few hundred quid is nothing.

Nit picking here a bit, I understand your argument DOHH as you don't want to play live, but I can't see anybody "Buying" a seat worth £1k for £1,200 .. Surely they would just buy themselves in?

This is a good idea from Sky, from what I hear I think they do ask a bit too much from there TSP members though, as a lot of future qualifiers will be in full time work, having to travel to the studio regually and being forced into playing MTTs on certain nights. But at the end of the day its a free 1k seat with possibly more in the future, its not to be sniffed at!
  • edited April 2011

I'm not sure what all the changes are just yet because I was working through the start of last nights show. I only hope there is nothing in the rules to say that ex-TSP'ers cannot enter.

Being part ov TSP is an amazing prize, and I will be trying to quilify for the next quarter (if im allowed).

I know the prize's and structure of the current TSP qualifier are well tasty, but it seems that that excact prize pool and structure has been adopted into the new Survivor tournement final, and just for a quid its alot cheaper and easier for anybody to enter so should be fun, and im looking forward to it..

• edited April 2011
    I'm not sure what all the changes are just yet because I was working through the start of last nights show. I only hope there is nothing in the rules to say that ex-TSP'ers cannot enter. Being part ov TSP is an amazing prize, and I will be trying to quilify for the next quarter (if im allowed). I know the prize's and structure of the current TSP qualifier are well tasty, but it seems that that excact prize pool and structure has been adopted into the new Survivor tournement final, and just for a quid its alot cheaper and easier for anybody to enter so should be fun, and im looking forward to it..
    Posted by SolidStan1
    In short

1 MTT with 90 runners at the end of the 3 months and not 3 lots of 30
    6 seats up for grabs
    no cash prizes
  • edited April 2011
    I like the changes personally, I agree with the "Its not in the spirit" comment from Tikay. Its no different to playing a satelite into a tourney. You're playing for the seat (OK occasionally there is money left over, but nobody is playing for that). So just treat the league as a free seat into a satelite... In reply to Gary's comment. I dont think the money bonus is as great as you thought it was, Yes winning £250 or what ever it was is great, but if you think how much these guys have played to get 1st. They must of played 3-4k's worth of buyins on MTT and STT, and god knows how much money LOL_RAISE has put on the table in the last 3 months, when you are 12 tabling from 500nl to 100nl, then a few hundred quid is nothing. Nit picking here a bit, I understand your argument DOHH as you don't want to play live, but I can't see anybody "Buying" a seat worth £1k for £1,200 .. Surely they would just buy themselves in? This is a good idea from Sky, from what I hear I think they do ask a bit too much from there TSP members though, as a lot of future qualifiers will be in full time work, having to travel to the studio regually and being forced into playing MTTs on certain nights. But at the end of the day its a free 1k seat with possibly more in the future, its not to be sniffed at!
    Posted by FlashFlush
    They are buying a seat on the team, which includes double rakeback.

So to lol raise, the 1k free tourny entry + xxx amount in tourny entries for the amount of C4P he has earned.

So if lol raise made it on to TSP, it would be worth like 10k+ in live tourny entries? I'm pretty sure thats right?

The 1k tourny seat is just the minimum you get for TSP, unless I've mis-understood.

I'm sure people would be willing to pay much more than 1.2k for it.
  • edited April 2011
    Agreed, I thought the way you said it that you would not accept the TSP seat and just give the 1k seat to someone. Yes the TSP place is worth more than the 1 buyin
  • edited April 2011
    Who cares it's april fools day let's all look in the papers for funny stories..............................
  • edited April 2011

i hear that miss england has decided to sell her place in miss world next month.  the highest bid so far is from homer simpson. d'oh!!!

• edited April 2011
    chillie - you get cash for points.  thats the rake back.

the league was only introduced 2 years or so ago.  Sky Poker had been running for about 2 years before that and we all still played.  in fact, we all still played before Cash for Points was even there.

I suggest that you opt out of the league.

And the selling the spots on the team is just lol.  You don't want TSP membership.  Then don't play.  There are hundreds of people who narrowly missed out on the MTT qualifier places who would jump at the chance for this opportunity.
  • edited April 2011

I promised to "formally" Post the details today, & time, as ever, is a problem, but I will Post them, below. I announced them on last night's Show fairly clearly, but not everyone watches it, of course. A new Landing Page, with all the details, will be up shortly, too.

I must emphasise that this is for the QUALIFICATION period 1st April - 30th June, with TSP Membership from 1st July - 30th September.

The rules for the qualification period which ended yesterday, for TSP Membership April-June inclusive remain "as was". Details of who is qualified to play in the Qualification Finals on Sunday 10th April will be announced on Monday. (Some players will be "removed" from the lists, & so in some cases, it's possible that players beneath 30th will still qualify).

The revised qualification criteria will be in my next Post. 
  • edited April 2011

Here is exactly what Head Office - Adam in this case - sent me.

1) There will now be only 1 TSP qualifying tournament at the end of the Quarter, this will be made up of 90 runners (Top 30 Cash, Top 30 STT, Top 30 MTT as previous). Previously  rules stated 3 separate tournaments, 1 for each discipline.

2)     
    The Top 6 of this tournament will all qualify for TSP – compared to only 3 packages in total previously.

3)     
    There will be no additional cash prize pool.

4)     
    Chip stacks will still be defined by finishing position of respective leagues, exactly as per current rules. I.E. 1st in Cash, STT, MTT all take 10,000 chips into the single qualifier. 30th in Cash, MTT & STT all take 4000. Everything else remains exactly the same as it is currently. Qualification will run from 1st April – 30th June 2011 with the new format TSP final on Sunday 10th July.
  • edited April 2011
    I think people are coming down a bit hard on Chillie here. He's one of a group of players who used to win juicy cash prizes in the points league each month as well as getting a seat in the League Stars freeroll, which offered the chance to win more cash (before it became a deepstack satellite). This announcement effectively marks the end of league points being a means of making money. Not everybody aspires to be in TSP. As a recreational low-stakes player who will never win enough league points to get a shot at getting into TSP under the new system, or win league prizes under the old system I can look at this impartially. I like the TSP concept, it's exciting and I can see why many of the sites elite players are battling to get in the team, but I also have sympathy for the regs who used to make a fair bit of money off league points but have now had that taken away and for those players who have no interest in playing live and being on TV. This is one of those 'you can't please all the people all the time' situations. Most people like the changes, but Chillie is one of those losing out. I've noticed that some other regs who always used to finish near the top of the leagues are playing much less these days, probably for the same reason that Chillie isn't happy. The TSP concept gets a thumbs up from me, but Chillie doesn't deserve to get flamed for not liking it.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Quite possibly, Gary, he's perfectly entitled to his view. I don't actually think anyone minds that different people have different takes on the merits or otherwise of it, civil debate is all good.

The hostility arises, I suspect, because of the tone of his Post. Every action has an equal reaction, & all that. I don't really believe he is being "flamed" for his view, just the way he expressed it really.
  • edited April 2011

To quickly contextualise Team Sky Poker.

It's not going to suit everyone, but Sky Poker think it will continue to prove popular.

"Entry" is free, & is not obligatory, anyone who so wishes can opt out. It is, in effect, a freeroll. It certainly does incentivise (some) people to play more. In return, it offers various benefits.

I assume everyone is aware of the list of "benefits", which includes a MINUMUM of 1 x £1,000 Live Event, no matter who they are or how much or little they rake, free & automatic entry to any SPT Event in their "current" Quarter, an invitation to appear on the TV Show at least once, an invitation to have their "own" TSP Night on SkyPoker.com at least once per fortnight, a Blog if they want it, etc. They are all given a set of Team Sky Poker apparel, get their photos taken professionally for display on the website & in poker media, da de da. Sort of "Live the poker dream" for a while. It's fully recognized that not every player wants that. It's also recognized that most do, especially given there is no entry fee, unless you include "working hard" to earn the spot.    

Any questions, fire away. Not literally, like..... 
  • edited April 2011
    To quickly contextualise Team Sky Poker. It's not going to suit everyone, but Sky Poker think it will continue to prove popular. "Entry" is free, & is not obligatory, anyone who so wishes can opt out. It is, in effect, a freeroll. It certainly does incentivise (some) people to play more. In return, it offers various benefits. I assume everyone is aware of the list of "benefits", which includes a MINUMUM of 1 x £1,000 Live Event, no matter who they are or how much or little they rake, free & automatic entry to any SPT Event in their "current" Quarter, an invitation to appear on the TV Show at least once, an invitation to have their "own" TSP Night on SkyPoker.com at least once per fortnight, a Blog if they want it, etc. They are all given a set of Team Sky Poker apparel, get their photos taken professionally for display on the website & in poker media, da de da. Sort of "Live the poker dream" for a while. It's fully recognized that not every player wants that. It's also recognized that most do, especially given there is no entry fee, unless you include "working hard" to earn the spot.     Any questions, fire away. Not literally, like..... 
    Posted by Tikay10
    this should read. 'a sick blue hoody'
  • edited April 2011
    what a joke a torni with no cash incentive 1st u do away with the league money now u make it a torni with no cash see how many players want to play a torni with no cash up for grabs well done sky as usual change the rules to suit yourself community site that mskes me laugh
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Hi Chillie,
    TBH if you don't want a place in the TSP, then you can decline to play in this, and give someone else the chance, who is not really bothered about any financial outcome, to represent Sky in the future.

col
  • edited April 2011
    the only thing bad about TSP is the logo. grim. needs a sick re-design.
  • edited April 2011

The system was changed because there was genuine player concern as to how the Qualification Finals, which offered both cash & the TSP Spot, would affect the dynamic of qualification. Clear evidence on this Community exists that it did cause problems. Not any more, though. 

The rules MAY be changed again for the subsequent renewals of TSP, depending on how this one works, & player feedback.

It was suggested by some - Dohhhh was one, I think - that TSP "spots" could be "traded", or sold. I have not sent that upstairs for clarification, because it's self-evident that it would not work, or be acceptable to them. Players qualify, or they don't, money cannot buy Membership. Not even MasterCard can do that.  

• edited April 2011
    The system was changed because there was genuine player concern as to how the Qualification Finals, which offered both cash & the TSP Spot, would affect the dynamic of qualification. Clear evidence on this Community exists that it did cause problems. Not any more, though.  The rules MAY be changed again for the subsequent renewals of TSP, depending on how this one works, & player feedback. It was suggested by some - Dohhhh was one, I think - that TSP "spots" could be "traded", or sold. I have not sent that upstairs for clarification, because it's self-evident that it would not work, or be acceptable to them. Players qualify, or they don't, money cannot buy Membership. Not even MasterCard can do that.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony,

I think you have made a MASSIVE MISTAKE here, it is that you and Sky have tried to listen to, what was quite a big argument/discussion last time, people who were dismayed that some players seemed to alude to the fact that thay would rather win an amount of money than take up the team place.
    By doing this Sky might alienate one or two players, from this process, but what these people seem to forget is that the process is to FIND NEW MEMBERS OF TEAM SKY POKER.
    I think you have got it correct this time, so don't give up trying to please all of the people all of the time.

NICE TRY SIR
    Regards
    Col
  • edited April 2011

Big mistake Sky...

BIG MISTAKE!
  • edited April 2011
    i think its pretty sweet,

one question though.

if say a member of TSP gets 40k C4P in a month for £2k bonus +25% for priority club is £2.5k total. will the player receive £2k or £2.5k worth of tourney packages?
  • edited April 2011
    I like the changes, it increases my chances of qualifying by six. 
  • edited April 2011
    i think its pretty sweet, one question though. if say a member of TSP gets 40k C4P in a month for £2k bonus +25% for priority club is £2.5k total. will the player receive £2k or £2.5k worth of tourney packages?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    I've no idea, Mr Raise, but I'll ask the question.

Good effort last night in the £220, one more successful shove & you'd have been right in the mix. T'was not to be.
  • edited April 2011
    Big mistake Sky... BIG MISTAKE!
    Posted by xDECISIONx
    Quite possibly, but you are not giving me much to go on, there......

Would you care to expand, & give your reasoning?
  • edited April 2011
    To quickly contextualise Team Sky Poker. It's not going to suit everyone, but Sky Poker think it will continue to prove popular. "Entry" is free, & is not obligatory, anyone who so wishes can opt out. It is, in effect, a freeroll. It certainly does incentivise (some) people to play more. In return, it offers various benefits. I assume everyone is aware of the list of "benefits", which includes a MINUMUM of 1 x £1,000 Live Event, no matter who they are or how much or little they rake, free & automatic entry to any SPT Event in their "current" Quarter, an invitation to appear on the TV Show at least once, an invitation to have their "own" TSP Night on SkyPoker.com at least once per fortnight, a Blog if they want it, etc. They are all given a set of Team Sky Poker apparel, get their photos taken professionally for display on the website & in poker media, da de da. Sort of "Live the poker dream" for a while. It's fully recognized that not every player wants that. It's also recognized that most do, especially given there is no entry fee, unless you include "working hard" to earn the spot.     Any questions, fire away. Not literally, like..... 
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is now my favourite long word that you use Tikay!

Sounds kind of rude and smutty!
  • edited April 2011
    Great change having it as a 90 runner qualifier.
    Nice to see that 6 players will now qualify for TSP as well. 

I don't personally agree with being able to sell your seat as JJ expressed. The 6 places will go to the "best" players on the night and should never be up for sale. If players do not want to be a part of TSP then they should de reg from the league imo - this is an extra bonus of £6,600 that Sky have added to the pot and a great bonus it is.

Gl to all those who made the Top 90 this time round and gl to the 3 winners. 
  • edited April 2011
    6 places instead of 3 is obv great.

Having to play in a qualifier with 30 of the best cash regs on Sky is not so great for either myself, or the vast majority of people who will qualify through the STT/MTT leagues.

Still a great promotion though