You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs?

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

UKIPT legs are £500 (+reg fee) buy-ins so the satellites could be 1 in 5 semi-finals @ £20 (+reg fee) nightly, with 1 in 5 finals @ £100 (+ reg fee) (these could also be bought into directly), weekly.

GUKPTs are £1000 (+ reg fee) so the same satellite structure as the VLV (upto the final) could be used as it is.

Both of these would make these bigger live tournaments more accessible to Sky players.

Comments

• edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    I believe both tours already have on-line partners/sponsors?

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs?:
    I believe both tours already have on-line partners/sponsors?
    Posted by J-Hartigan

James,

Does this preclude Sky from running satellites on here for the entry fee for these events? Partnered or not Sky turned up with a posse of blue hoodies at the Manchester GUKPT, I assume these entries were paid directly by Sky. Is it not possible for the satellite winner to be paid into these events in the same manner.

The opportunity for players to enter these bigger live events would IMO be good for the site and its players. Why stop here though, there are live events all round the globe, why not run satellites for a seat at the Aussie Millions, EPT events etc.
  • edited April 2011

I,ve been looking at this recently and its just about the only time i play on other sites to play the odd qualifier

If it was possible to put on Sky I think it would generate loads of interest

I know they already have partners/sponsors but i,m sure Sky could put something similar on and instead of having a £500/£1000 prize , just make the prize a seat instead and pay for the seat with the prize money

I,m sure anyone qualifying through Sky would get plenty of support from the community

• edited April 2011
    if it could be done, then this gets my vote.
  • edited April 2011
    the problem with this is that it takes the money off the site.  vegas trips are different as they are once in a lifetime opportunities and also provides a lot of material for the channel etc.  cant really get the same buzz about qualifying for the G Coventry etc
  • edited April 2011
    I'm sure pokestars would have something to say about it...
  • edited April 2011
    Am not near the level of some of above posters, but did buy in for Gukpt London, just for the experiance & 'Craic'!

I will say it was defo worth it, & was well pleased to make 2nd day even if sort-stacked! Sharing a table with Glitter, Praz, & some of the 'Whizzkids' was a great learnin experiance for me, and am sure with the results that the Team Sky boyz been gettin, it wont be long before a Sky regular Nails One !!

Remember ya canna win the lottery if ya don't buy a ticket !!

Conversley, it seems to me, that a few 'names' are appearing in 'our' tourneys latley !!

Any way, I gotta get back to ma real work now !!

It must be great to earn a living doin summat that you love & enjoy !!

Run Good All...............&   BELIEVE !!
  • edited April 2011

Some very emphatic Voting on this one, as well as a couple of Posts which suggest that, technically/commercially it may not be possible. Please do NOT assume this is an idea which cannot be done.

It's rather awkward to go into details right now, it's at a delicate stage, but Sky Poker have reached agreement in principle with the owners of one of the two Tours mentioned to be able to offer Satellites on SkyPoker.com to their Tour.

It now awaits "sign-off" at the other party's end, & then, assuming that is achieved (95% certain), Sky Poker will be in a position to decide if they want to implement.

Which brings us neatly back to this thread.....

So, if you think it's a good idea, do NOT be put off by commercial considerations which, on the face of it, look like they would make it impractical.

Essentially, if the demand is shown to be there, Sky Poker could & would do it.

And the only real way to assess demand is by this idea, & Thread.

So, Vote as you see fit, & you never know......
  • edited April 2011
    Some very emphatic Voting on this one, as well as a couple of Posts which suggest that, technically/commercially it may not be possible. Please do NOT assume this is an idea which cannot be done. It's rather awkward to go into details right now, it's at a delicate stage, but Sky Poker have reached agreement in principle with the owners of one of the two Tours mentioned to be able to offer Satellites on SkyPoker.com to their Tour. It now awaits "sign-off" at the other party's end, & then, assuming that is achieved (95% certain), Sky Poker will be in a position to decide if they want to implement. Which brings us neatly back to this thread..... So, if you think it's a good idea, do NOT be put off by commercial considerations which, on the face of it, look like they would make it impractical. Essentially, if the demand is shown to be there, Sky Poker could & would do it. And the only real way to assess demand is by this idea, & Thread. So, Vote as you see fit, & you never know......
    Posted by Tikay10
    WOW!! Exiting stuff !! N1 Tony

I suggest, [like TK], A few more posts on this thread may be influential!!

Sounds Like SkyPoker about to do A 'Man City' on the Premier Stage !!

remember......Believe !!!!!

with Hard work, Focus and Endevour, ANYTHING is possible!!!
  • edited April 2011

I think this is a great idea/thread. Like Dave (hitman) says, it would create an opportunity for someone from Sky Poker without 'connections' to play live in some big events by qualifying on-line.

One point that would have to be clarified beforehand though is -

Will the player(s) be sponsored by Sky Poker and receive extra help which that entails or would they go into the live arena as an independent?
  • edited April 2011
    "remember......Believe !!!!! with Hard work, Focus and Endevour, ANYTHING is possible!!!" Posted by HITMAN_RV

I sure hope so because I have zero natural talent.
  • edited April 2011
    I think this is a great idea/thread. Like Dave (hitman) says, it would create an opportunity for someone from Sky Poker without 'connections' to play live in some big events by qualifying on-line. One point that would have to be clarified beforehand though is - Will the player(s) be sponsored by Sky Poker and receive extra help which that entails or would they go into the live arena as an independent?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I don't believe that has been addressed yet.

I would imagine Sky Poker would like the qualifier to wear some Sky Poker apparel, maybe.

But I'm whistling in the dark, I don't know.

It does not affect the overall idea though, either way, & I don't think it will affect the thread Voting.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : I don't believe that has been addressed yet. I would imagine Sky Poker would like the qualifier to wear some Sky Poker apparel, maybe.   But I'm whistling in the dark, I don't know. It does not affect the overall idea though, either way, & I don't think it will affect the thread Voting.
    Posted by Tikay10

I wouldna wanna wear anything that made me look stupid !!  LOL
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : I wouldna wanna wear anything that made me look stupid !!  LOL
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Must resist replying to that........
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah this would be great.

I can only see it bringing in more new players too.
  • edited April 2011
    I've mentioned this is the past a few times, diddn't think it would be possible but seeing Tikays post has put a smile on my face!!! Deffo a yes by me if its possible
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs?:
    UKIPT legs are £500 (+reg fee) buy-ins so the satellites could be 1 in 5 semi-finals @ £20 (+reg fee) nightly, with 1 in 5 finals @ £100 (+ reg fee) (these could also be bought into directly), weekly. GUKPTs are £1000 (+ reg fee) so the same satellite structure as the VLV (upto the final) could be used as it is. Both of these would make these bigger live tournaments more accessible to Sky players.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    great post John,i enquired about this approx2 yrs ago.but to no avail........lets hope you have more success.
     Ive voted a big yes.

gl at the tables....FITZ.
  • edited April 2011

It was not possible previously, but there have been some discussions & negotiations recently, over many months in fact, & it's "most likely" that a Deal will be done.

That does NOT necessarily mean that Sky Poker will take up the Option - but judging by this thread, they might, if they think the demand is there.......
  • edited April 2011
    Some very emphatic Voting on this one, as well as a couple of Posts which suggest that, technically/commercially it may not be possible. Please do NOT assume this is an idea which cannot be done. It's rather awkward to go into details right now, it's at a delicate stage, but Sky Poker have reached agreement in principle with the owners of one of the two Tours mentioned to be able to offer Satellites on SkyPoker.com to their Tour. It now awaits "sign-off" at the other party's end, & then, assuming that is achieved (95% certain), Sky Poker will be in a position to decide if they want to implement. Which brings us neatly back to this thread..... So, if you think it's a good idea, do NOT be put off by commercial considerations which, on the face of it, look like they would make it impractical. Essentially, if the demand is shown to be there, Sky Poker could & would do it. And the only real way to assess demand is by this idea, & Thread. So, Vote as you see fit, & you never know......
    Posted by Tikay10
    couldnt sky do their own in house qualifiers were you can qualify to team sky were sky buys you into the tourny and you go their as a sky player? you dont need to be affiliated or a sponsor to do this?
  • edited April 2011
    It was not possible previously, but there have been some discussions & negotiations recently, overe many months in fact, & it's "most likely" that a Deal will be done. That does NOT necessarily mean that Sky Poker will take up the Option - but judguing by this thread, they might, if they think the demand is there.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yep TK......nice to hear so positivity on this topic.

Fitz.

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : couldnt sky do their own in house qualifiers were you can qualify to team sky were sky buys you into the tourny and you go their as a sky player? you dont need to be affiliated or a sponsor to do this?
    Posted by N1CK
    I imagine so, N1CK, yes.

That's the idea of this Forum Comp - to try to see what the players want, & then, where possible (in practical, technical, IT, & commercial terms), & desirable, go & do it. 
  • edited April 2011
    this is very interesting, especially as the sats to the GUKPT virtually never run on their online room.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : Must resist replying to that........
    Posted by Tikay10
    And Why is that ? Pray tell.......   LOL
  • edited April 2011
    Big resounding YES from me too!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : I imagine so, N1CK, yes. That's the idea of this Forum Comp - to try to see what the players want, & then, where possible (in practical, technical, IT, & commercial terms), & desirable, go & do it. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    i agree with nick,you shouldnt need to join up with either tour in an official capacity.
    just run the sats with a prize of"a £1000 live tourny entry"
    then any winners get bought in and given a sky hoodie to wear.
    i dont like the sats on most sites,what with their stage 1 gets you into stage two then if you get 2nd down you get a seat back into stage 1 etc.
    i prefer skys sats(but then im a simple bloke).

i dont think it makes much difference if it "takes money away from the site"
    i think most winning players take a big percentage of their winnings out anyway.

dave
  • edited April 2011
    I'm sure pokestars would have something to say about it...
    Posted by BrownnDog
    Indeed im sure they would.

I was reading about directly buying into UKIPT Newcastle and they said that even if you direct buy into the event your still considered a staked player by Pokerstars for the time you are in.

Not sure about the GUKPT but i imagine that will be similar.
  • edited April 2011
    the problem with this is that it takes the money off the site.  Vegas trips are different as they are once in a lifetime opportunities and also provides a lot of material for the channel etc.  cant really get the same buzz about qualifying for the G Coventry etc
    Posted by scotty77
    I've been thinking for a while about trying to qualify via satellites to one of these tour events. So if Sky where to run these, it would stop me depositing elsewhere and therefore keeping  my money on Sky. I assume Sky will charge a rake on these satellites and the buy-ins would cover the cost of entry so everyone's a winner.
    Will be looking out for these in lobby.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: Satellites to UKIPTs and/or GUKPTs? : Indeed im sure they would. I was reading about directly buying into UKIPT Newcastle and they said that even if you direct buy into the event your still considered a staked player by Pokerstars for the time you are in. Not sure about the GUKPT but i imagine that will be similar.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I'm afraid you are wrong on almost every count there, Donald.

Those in favour of this proposal should ignore that Post in it's entirety.

IF Sky Poker & the other party reach agreement (it's already agreed with Management, it just awaits Board approval), & IF Sky Poker take up their option to run satellites to Events on that Tour, Sky Poker players would be free to wear whatever apparel they so wish. Whether Sky Poker would ask/request that the players wear Sky Poker apparel has yet to be addressed, but the Tour would have no absolutely issues with that whatsoever.