You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A chat about chat.......

edited April 2011 in Poker Chat

This thread was originally started by myself, last night, & was going along nicely. Unfortunately, it got removed due to an error by myself

The issue of inappropriate Rail Chat has reared it's ugly head again.

Many of you saw the ridiculous nonsense being Posted on the Rail of a big Table a few days ago, & this is severely disturbing to the players, who were playing for 5 figure sums.

However, the amount on the Table is relative - it's just as wrong if it is a £1 Heads-Up game as a £10k Heads-Up game - players should be able to play their game without being abused by uneducated & ill-mannered idiots.

If you see this, please report it to Customer Care immediately, & the appropriate action will be taken.

Starting a Forum thread will have absolutely no effect - the system, as most of you now know, does not work like that. This is the Community, it's looked after in the main by volunteers, who do not make business decisions. Customer Care is thataway......

We ALL have a responsibility here, it's no good pointing fingers at others, or Sky Poker. Together, we need to work together to keep this place what it is - different, special, small enough that we can sall help shape it, & make a difference.

If you see Rail Chat abuse, please report it to Customer Care. 

There were a few questions raised on the original thread, I'll reply to them shortly, such as I can remember them.

Comments

• edited April 2011

To confirm, yes, the appropriate action was taken in the case of the gross abuse that happened the other night. Such action will be taken about anyone abusing their chat privileges.

Sky Poker have an absolute right to withdraw any players chat facility without notice, & will not hesitate to do so if need be. It can be insta-removed, & when necessary, it will be.
  • edited April 2011

Someone asked if the money in the accounts of those who abuse others on the Rail can be seized.

No, it cannot, not under any circumstances. Imagine the trolls & Area 51-ers reaction to that!

Players account balances are sacrosant.

Can their Accounts be closed? Yes, if Sky Poker deem it so, but that is a matter between Sky Poker & the player, & would not normally be made known to others. 
  • edited April 2011

How long does it take to sort?

If all the correct evidence is supplied to Customer Care it can be sorted immediately. However, it's usually the case that only half the evidence is provided, & it is not always accurate.

If reporting a Chat Abuser, Customer Care need....

1) The players screen name, correctly spelt.

2) The game in which they were playing.

3) If possible, Cut & Paste the abuse & pass it to Customer Care.

If all this is done properly, the matter can & will be dealt with instantly. If not, it takes a little longer.
  • edited April 2011

If your chat privileges are removed, can they be reinstated?

Yes, of course. This can often be arranged quite quickly - say within 10 years.

Don't go there, it's not easy to get chat rights reinstated, & that's by design. 

• edited April 2011

Someone suggested it would be wrong, unpopular, & a bad thing if regular players were banned from chatting on the Rail.

Which is correct on all counts, & is a solution of last resort.

However, if the problem cannot be solved by the means suggested, there is no doubt in my mind that Sky Poker would consider it. They would have no choice.

We need to bring an end to it.

It's a very simple thing, & it revolves around respect for others. It's not that hard, really.
  • edited April 2011

Any more questions?
  • edited April 2011
    YES ,whats green got six legs ,and if it falls from a tree it will kill you ?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat.......:
    YES ,whats green got six legs ,and if it falls from a tree it will kill you ?
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    A snooker table.

Next case!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : A snooker table. Next case!
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol ,is there anything you DONT  know tikay?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : lol ,is there anything you DONT  know tikay?
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    I struggle on the price of wet fish, & how to get glued to a yak. Steer clear of those, please.
  • edited April 2011
    If i rail you or just say hi and you don't reply because you're on 10 tables, whats the official ammount of time i have to wait before i can safely decide you are ignoring me, i hate sky and start a thread about you're ignorance towards me?

Oh and where can i get dry fish?
  • edited April 2011

Sigh, don't even go there, Neil.

• edited April 2011

HI MR TIKAY10 BEING NEW TO THIS COMPUTER GENERATION,WHAT IS CUT AND PASTE?

• edited April 2011
    Sigh, don't even go there, Neil.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Awww thought you would like that one

Fishflakes is dried fish btw
  • edited April 2011
    HI MR TIKAY10 BEING NEW TO THIS COMPUTER GENERATION,WHAT IS CUT AND PASTE?
    Posted by paige55
    Hi Paige,

Someone asking ME about how to use the interwebz? That's a new one!

"Cut & Paste" means copy some text & place it somewhere else.

You "copy" it, ("cut") & then post it elsewhere ("paste"). Hence, "C & P".

I'm sure there's a button somewhere that does it better & quicker, but I just use the "copy" facility in "EDIT" & then "Paste", also from Edit.

If anyone else wants a little help with these sort of things, I'll organise a special thread, & get some of our more techie/geeky players  - machka ftw - to field the questions.

Everyone thinks everyone else is internet-wise, but many of us are not, & don't like to ask, for fear of being ridiculed. Ask away, & if anyone wants to be a smart-Alec, I'll have them shot.  
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Awww thought you would like that one Fishflakes is dried fish btw
    Posted by Neildown
    If only you knew......

Move on, nothing to see here.
  • edited April 2011
    I play on Sky Poker for one reason above all the other sites out there (although there's not as much choice after recent events), and the main reason is the community aspect.
    Most people who watch The My Name Is on channel 865 will notice that the one thing that comes over again and again is "The community ". Yes this involves the forums but also the table chat
    and as the point is made in the OP this should not matter at what level the buy in WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY WITHOUT BEING ABUSED.

The vast majority on Sky Poker do of course respect the privileges (and they are privileges) but as always the odd few get in there and like to wind people up and cause a bit of bother, and even in some cases go as far as racial abuse and threaten physical abuse this cannot be acceptable it just can't. People do this as they feel untouchable online, and think they can get away with it all. These same people probably wouldn't even say boo to you if playing live.
    The danger is that these people will win at the end of the day and chat WILL be banned, the old argument is if you don't to run the risk turn your chat off ...Why the hell should we it's part of what makes Sky Poker so good.

I have made many friends on here since I joined and all through The Community.

Don't let them win the day
    Don't Leave it to others to report
    Do something about it yourself and report them your not being "a grass or snitch" you're protecting players at the tables
    all the tools you need are right here on the site cut and paste the chat open a customer care online chat up and do it, you don't even have to leave your game.

As the saying goes You don't realize what you've got till it's gone, and as sure as eggs is eggs another thread will stat up about how unfair it all is that chat has been banned TOO LATE by then

IF YOU COME ACROSS IT REPORT IT

As a footnote to Sky would it not be possible to name and shame

ps sorry about the essay but it really gets me annoyed
  • edited April 2011
    Hopefully the DTDers and TKPers out there who use the chat in the way it should be used will back me up on the above post as you will be the ones who suffer the most
  • edited April 2011
    A quick way to copy and paste is to left click on the start of the text you wish to copy, keep the left button on your mouse pressed down and highlight all of the text you wish to paste.

Then you can right click and select copy or you can also press Ctrl and C on your keyboard at the same time.

Then to paste it in say a text document like notepad, word or on here just right click again and select paste or press Ctrl and V on your keyboard.

• edited April 2011

POTW by Scouser, sums it up a treat.

Name & shame? We hear that request a lot, but no, it is not possible, due to the Data-Protection Act.

As a sidenote, I had to take a course on Data Protection this week, it's a right minefield. At the end of the Course, there was a quiz, 10 questions. I got nine right. "Not good enough" said the Big Cheese. Marv.

So no, "name & shame" is not possible, I'm afraid. But action WILL be taken against chat abuse if Sky Poker know about it, be assured.
  • edited April 2011
    POTW by Scouser, sums it up a treat. Name & shame? We hear that request a lot, but no, it is not possible, due to the Data-Protection Act. As a sidenote, I had to take a course on Data Protection this week, it's a right minefield. At the end of the Course, there was a quiz, 10 questions. I got nine right. "Not good enough" said the Big Cheese. Marv. So no, "name & shame" is not possible, I'm afraid. But action WILL be taken against chat abuse if Sky Poker know about it, be assured.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hmmmmm the old red tape thingy ma jig again, please don't get me started on that issue or I'll be composing another essay lol
  • edited April 2011

We can still abuse the Welsh & Scots though right?.... :)

Sometimes there is a fine line between fun/banter and chat 'abuse'. There is also the problem of saying something and it being taken the wrong way by the recipient.The written word is often taken out of context. 

I hope, as Sky Poker continues to evolve, that there is additional smileys added for use in the forums and chat. I would also like to see the ability to just 'ignore' any individual in the chat box without the need to close/shut it down completely because of the minority element.

I also +1 to Chris's post and he gets my vote for forum president!
  • edited April 2011
    We can still abuse the Welsh & Scots though right?.... :) Sometimes there is a fine line between fun/banter and chat 'abuse'. There is also the problem of saying something and it being taken the wrong way by the recipient.The written word is often taken out of context.  I hope, as Sky Poker continues to evolve, that there is additional smileys added for use in the forums and chat. I would also like to see the ability to just 'ignore' any individual in the chat box without the need to close/shut it down completely because of the minority element. I also +1 to Chris's post and he gets my vote for forum president!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    A scouser for president eh lol but is that on a first past the post basis or are we using the AV system,
    and can the KGB and chinese bots vote ;)))
  • edited April 2011
    We can still abuse the Welsh & Scots though right?.... :) Sometimes there is a fine line between fun/banter and chat 'abuse'. There is also the problem of saying something and it being taken the wrong way by the recipient.The written word is often taken out of context.  I hope, as Sky Poker continues to evolve, that there is additional smileys added for use in the forums and chat. I would also like to see the ability to just 'ignore' any individual in the chat box without the need to close/shut it down completely because of the minority element. I also +1 to Chris's post and he gets my vote for forum president!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Amazingly, no, & despite the fact we all know it's fun & banter, no, we can no longer have a little fun on 865 with "mock" abusing Welsh, Scottish, or anything else-ish. I used to have a little "sport" with the guys, particularly the Welsh lads, who are such fun, but have not done so for 4 or 5 months now, I can't, it's just not permitted any more, & ANYONE who crosses that line on 865 faces the tin-tack. A sad thing indeed. Woe betide them at SPT's, though, where different rules apply.....

The sad thing is, every time I sit at a Table & play poker, I get abused non-stop, & there's not a thing I can say or do about it, it goes with the territory, apparently, & I just have to accept it. Some days I can't wait to retire, & get away fom all this stuff. 

Lack of "smileys" on this Community? I could not agree with you more, it's an unbelievable omission, & incredibly bad. EVERY Forum has them, it's really annoying. But it is what it is, I've fought that battle long & hard, & I lost, so we just have to accept it, & move on.

I think it's worth adding, on a thread that majors on negatives, that the TKP-ers & Forum DTD-ers are a quite splendid asset to Sky Poker, those crews have every right to be proud of their Community input, they are glass half-full guys & gals, & it's for players like them we need to sort this problem out.
  • edited April 2011
    POTW by Scouser, sums it up a treat. Name & shame? We hear that request a lot, but no, it is not possible, due to the Data-Protection Act. As a sidenote, I had to take a course on Data Protection this week, it's a right minefield. At the end of the Course, there was a quiz, 10 questions. I got nine right. "Not good enough" said the Big Cheese. Marv. So no, "name & shame" is not possible, I'm afraid. But action WILL be taken against chat abuse if Sky Poker know about it, be assured.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I can understand why it probably would not be advisable to do so for different reasons but is it against Data protection to post a full chat log without comment?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : I can understand why it probably would not be advisable to do so for different reasons but is it against Data protection to post a full chat log without comment?
    Posted by TommyD
    Yes. We have a responsibility to use informatiion gathered in a responsible & sensible manner, & to use it ONLY for the intended purpose.

If only the same responsibilities applied to everyone......

There will be no "name & shame".

Sky Poker cannot even defend itself against the "martyr threads" for that very reason. So the knockers will just have to keep knocking. (Their heads against a brick wall).
  • edited April 2011
    just as a footnote to my earlier post if you are unsure as to whether a player has crossed the line or not
    I would say report it to customer care and let them make the decision it's what they are there for

better to go the extra mile than letting them continue to get away with it and hopefully things can get nipped in the bud before the line is crossed
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Yes. We have a responsibility to use informatiion gathered in a responsible & sensible manner, & to use it ONLY for the intended purpose. If only the same responsibilities applied to everyone...... There will be no "name & shame". Sky Poker cannot even defend itself against the "martyr threads" for that very reason. So the knockers will just have to keep knocking. (Their heads against a brick wall).
    Posted by Tikay10
    I wasn't advocating 'name and shame.'  It's always counterproductive and rarely ends well, just curious regarding the Data Protection Act.  The law is still so vague when it comes to the internet.

Completely understand SkyPoker's positron here.  By having the community here all users have a responsibility to self regulate the tables and forum.  Hopefully this thread will prompt intelligent action and let us keep the observer chat.
  • edited April 2011
    just as a footnote to my earlier post if you are unsure as to whether a player has crossed the line or not I would say report it to customer care and let them make the decision it's what they are there for better to go the extra mile than letting them continue to get away with it and hopefully things can get nipped in the bud before the line is crossed
    Posted by scouse_red

yeah...whatever. Where is my car!!! :))))))))
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : yeah...whatever. Where is my car!!! :))))))))
    Posted by MAXALLY

Racist