You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A chat about chat.......

2»

Comments

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat.......:
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : yeah...whatever. Where is my car!!! :))))))))
    Posted by MAXALLY

LOL m8" i'm looking after it" for you but you ain't gettin the wheels bk :)))
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... :    Racist
    Posted by pomfrittes

Just because I am your nemisis, there is no need for name calling....you french cheap chip! :))
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... :    Racist
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Afternoon Pom how's things?
  • edited April 2011
    I, like many others, like to have some fun while playing and occasionally the topic may be a little on the risqe side. I do not do this to most, but only to those who i know will enjoy the banter. If someone puts into the chatbox that they don't like the type of chat, it is stopped immediately.

there are those who seem to feel that abusing others in the chatbox is their right, and go out of their way to be as nasty as possible. It is these people who should be reported immediatley. I agree with scouse red that if in doubt talk to customer services.

Smileys for the win :))
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Just because I am your nemisis, there is no need for name calling....you french cheap chip! :))
    Posted by MAXALLY

LOL, past tense now i think Max.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Afternoon Pom how's things?
    Posted by scouse_red

Good thanks, and +1 to post of the week, couldnt have put it better myself, although would have used the same accent.
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... :   Good thanks, and +1 to post of the week, couldnt have put it better myself, although would have used the same accent.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Lol m8 now do you wanna buy Maxys car i took it from Als Bar last night lol:))))
  • edited April 2011
    I, like many others, like to have some fun while playing and occasionally the topic may be a little on the risqe side. I do not do this to most, but only to those who i know will enjoy the banter. If someone puts into the chatbox that they don't like the type of chat, it is stopped immediately. there are those who seem to feel that abusing others in the chatbox is their right, and go out of their way to be as nasty as possible. It is these people who should be reported immediatley. I agree with scouse red that if in doubt talk to customer services. Smileys for the win :))
    Posted by lozgo
    +1 to the smileys someone get a poll going
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : I wasn't advocating 'name and shame.'  It's always counterproductive and rarely ends well, just curious regarding the Data Protection Act.  The law is still so vague when it comes to the internet. Completely understand SkyPoker's positron here.  By having the community here all users have a responsibility to self regulate the tables and forum.  Hopefully this thread will prompt intelligent action and let us keep the observer chat.
    Posted by TommyD
    As a mod who has taken quite a bit of stick for stepping in to some of these chat problems I cannot agree more, certainly forumwide I think self-moderation has improved dramatically and we are seeing less and less problems, chat box abuse especially from railers has no place, if they were stood by a "live" table giving that abuse they would be quickly moved on, just like we strive to do here.

Great post Tommy
  • edited April 2011
    I play on Sky Poker for one reason above all the other sites out there (although there's not as much choice after recent events), and the main reason is the community aspect. Most people who watch The My Name Is on channel 865 will notice that the one thing that comes over again and again is "The community ". Yes this involves the forums but also the table chat and as the point is made in the OP this should not matter at what level the buy in WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY WITHOUT BEING ABUSED. The vast majority on Sky Poker do of course respect the privileges (and they are privileges) but as always the odd few get in there and like to wind people up and cause a bit of bother, and even in some cases go as far as racial abuse and threaten physical abuse this cannot be acceptable it just can't. People do this as they feel untouchable online, and think they can get away with it all. These same people probably wouldn't even say boo to you if playing live. The danger is that these people will win at the end of the day and chat WILL be banned, the old argument is if you don't to run the risk turn your chat off ...Why the hell should we it's part of what makes Sky Poker so good. I have made many friends on here since I joined and all through The Community. Don't let them win the day Don't Leave it to others to report Do something about it yourself and report them your not being "a grass or snitch" you're protecting players at the tables all the tools you need are right here on the site cut and paste the chat open a customer care online chat up and do it, you don't even have to leave your game. As the saying goes You don't realize what you've got till it's gone, and as sure as eggs is eggs another thread will stat up about how unfair it all is that chat has been banned TOO LATE by then IF YOU COME ACROSS IT REPORT IT As a footnote to Sky would it not be possible to name and shame ps sorry about the essay but it really gets me annoyed
    Posted by scouse_red
    Great post Chris, 100% agree.
    One way too sort these "people" out would be to take Chris's ciggys off him an let him deal with them :))
  • edited April 2011
    We can still abuse the Welsh & Scots though right?.... :)Sometimes there is a fine line between fun/banter and chat 'abuse'. There is also the problem of saying something and it being taken the wrong way by the recipient.The written word is often taken out of context.  I hope, as Sky Poker continues to evolve, that there is additional smileys added for use in the forums and chat. I would also like to see the ability to just 'ignore' any individual in the chat box without the need to close/shut it down completely because of the minority element. I also +1 to Chris's post and he gets my vote for forum president!
    Posted by MAXALLY

You can try ;o)

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Great post Chris, 100% agree. One way too sort these "people" out would be to take Chris's ciggys off him an let him deal with them :))
    Posted by MADMOO
    lol Lisa xx
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Amazingly, no, & despite the fact we all know it's fun & banter, no, we can no longer have a little fun on 865 with "mock" abusing Welsh, Scottish, or anything else-ish. I used to have a little "sport" with the guys, particularly the Welsh lads, who are such fun, but have not done so for 4 or 5 months now, I can't, it's just not permitted any more, & ANYONE who crosses that line on 865 faces the tin-tack. A sad thing indeed. Woe betide them at SPT's, though, where different rules apply..... The sad thing is, every time I sit at a Table & play poker, I get abused non-stop, & there's not a thing I can say or do about it, it goes with the territory, apparently, & I just have to accept it. Some days I can't wait to retire, & get away fom all this stuff.  Lack of "smileys" on this Community? I could not agree with you more, it's an unbelievable omission, & incredibly bad. EVERY Forum has them, it's really annoying. But it is what it is, I've fought that battle long & hard, & I lost, so we just have to accept it, & move on. I think it's worth adding, on a thread that majors on negatives, that the TKP-ers & Forum DTD-ers are a quite splendid asset to Sky Poker, those crews have every right to be proud of their Community input, they are glass half-full guys & gals, & it's for players like them we need to sort this problem out.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay, we try!!

Tikay arrives at Aspers Newcastle,
    Tikay arrives at Aspers Newcastle
    Tikay arrives at Aspers Newcastle!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : You can try ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    +1
  • edited April 2011
    hi tikay, i asked a question on first post and didnt see if you answered it. if someone losses there chat rights can they/should they still be able to write on forum?
  • edited April 2011

Tikay if your referring to the person who said that sick joke in the chat lobby then im glad he will get chat banned. Disgusting people out there and very disturibing people.

Im glad sky poker came to in the lobby and told him he was being watched. Altho he did not stop the bad abuse.

Shaun

• edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: A chat about chat....... : Amazingly, no, & despite the fact we all know it's fun & banter, no, we can no longer have a little fun on 865 with "mock" abusing Welsh, Scottish, or anything else-ish. I used to have a little "sport" with the guys, particularly the Welsh lads, who are such fun, but have not done so for 4 or 5 months now, I can't, it's just not permitted any more, & ANYONE who crosses that line on 865 faces the tin-tack. A sad thing indeed. Woe betide them at SPT's, though, where different rules apply..... The sad thing is, every time I sit at a Table & play poker, I get abused non-stop, & there's not a thing I can say or do about it, it goes with the territory, apparently, & I just have to accept it. Some days I can't wait to retire, & get away fom all this stuff.  Lack of "smileys" on this Community? I could not agree with you more, it's an unbelievable omission, & incredibly bad. EVERY Forum has them, it's really annoying. But it is what it is, I've fought that battle long & hard, & I lost, so we just have to accept it, & move on. I think it's worth adding, on a thread that majors on negatives, that the TKP-ers & Forum DTD-ers are a quite splendid asset to Sky Poker, those crews have every right to be proud of their Community input, they are glass half-full guys & gals, & it's for players like them we need to sort this problem out.
    Posted by Tikay10
    no,no and thrice no!.
    i have had reason to report a couple of players in the early days,due to some absolutly vicous abuse.
    im no wallflower and if some tells me to **** coff etc i ignore it but some is really bad.

but i still dont know what if any action was taken against the abusers.
    is it possible for customer care to email us with any action taken?
    working into ya 80's ftw!

dave

• edited April 2011

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think it is unusual for an online poker site to have totally unrestricted observer chat. We should be proud that Sky have not had to bring in restrictions yet....

I know of other sites where one needs a buy-in in their account equivalent of the stake of the mtt, for example, to be able to chat. I dont want this to happen here, because we are a community, and those with smaller bankrolls would be unable to offer support to their friends in higher buyin
    competitions.. 

Alot of sites also restrict observer, or even table chat, when players are all In. Again, i dont want this to happen here, but this is inevitable if this sort of thing keeps happening.

tikay is right, getting your chat back is not easy, i speak from experience here.

So basically i agree with scousered and others, we all have a responsibility to report anything that crosses the line to customer care, providing all necessary information. Or, Sky Poker suits will have to go down the route of other sites, they will have no option, and i think this would be a very sad day if this occurred.

Anyway enough waffling from me, nice thread and remember...

• edited April 2011
    I would love chat to stay for everyone for all tables. Perhaps it should be 'halted' when someone is all in and allowed to continue a bit after the end of an mtt as the table closes very quick?

My best memories of the rail chat on this site is when everyone is VERY positive and having a big laugh. The early PTP days were like this and, in recent memory, the last PTP which Lisa Marie did where the rail was PACKED and everyone was chatting and having really good banter. That is when rail chat is brilliant on this site IMO.
  • edited April 2011
    I have played on a certain poker site for a couple of years where the community spirit is non existant. When I first joined it I logged into the forum and there had been something like 10 posts in the previous year. Table chat is nonexistant and they don't know what railing is. What I'm trying to say is appreciate what we have here with a great forum and friendly rivalry on the tables. In the space of a 6 weeks I know more players here than I ever did on any other site. It's the community that helps make this site so please don't abuse your privileges.

PS great post Mr Scouse
  • edited April 2011
    Tikay,

If someone is "chat banned",

1: Why can they still have abuse in their Player Profile? (visible when moused over).

2: Why can't their avatar be replaced by, eg "A Speak No Evil, Monkey" highlighted avatar.

3: Can Skypoker also prevent them from watching the table chat when they are banned?

4: As previously stated, can an "Ignore Chat" option be added to an individual player?
  • edited April 2011
    I have played on a certain poker site for a couple of years where the community spirit is non existant. When I first joined it I logged into the forum and there had been something like 10 posts in the previous year. Table chat is nonexistant and they don't know what railing is. What I'm trying to say is appreciate what we have here with a great forum and friendly rivalry on the tables. In the space of a 6 weeks I know more players here than I ever did on any other site. It's the community that helps make this site so please don't abuse your privileges. PS great post Mr Scouse
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    ty
  • edited April 2011
    Tikay, If someone is "chat banned", 1: Why can they still have abuse in their Player Profile? (visible when moused over). 2: Why can't their avatar be replaced by, eg "A Speak No Evil, Monkey" highlighted avatar. 3: Can Skypoker also prevent them from watching the table chat when they are banned? 4: As previously stated, can an "Ignore Chat" option be added to an individual player?
    Posted by Red_King
    Report that to customer care, hopefully they can access the players profile and delete the abusive post.