You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Time for a change...

edited May 2011 in Poker Chat

Online poker and Sky Poker has totally overtaken my life.

I feel that I have negleted all the important things like friends, family and work. So I will be spending the next few months putting this right.

After careful thought, i will be taking an extended break from Sky Poker shortly, so I won't be around for a while.

I just want to say how much i have enjoyed being a part of this community and to thank all those who have supported me. You know who you are. TKP FTW.

With much love, and please stay in touch on facebook/twitter

Hoggers

Comments

• edited May 2011

you have friends?

• edited May 2011
    take care mate at the end of the day its only a game more important things in life all the best
  • edited May 2011

.... and good luck and best wishes.  see you when you're next here.

rob

• edited May 2011
    i think all those dyms have sent hoggers crazy,

on a normal note all the best
  • edited May 2011
    I think a lot of us here will be thinking "that's me also". I think time for life outside Sky is an important consideration. I find myself making excuses for playing extra nights, and am grumpy with the kids when i shouldn't be. Think I'll be taking a leaf out of the book of Hogg.
  • edited May 2011
    I've played poker on line for 9 years. The formula of Poker, Food, Poker, Bed, Poker , Food, Poker ......... doesn't work. It will burn you out. Either, do a Hoggers and take a break, or find time to do the normal things - every day.

Totally understandable Greg, come back refreshed m8.
  • edited May 2011
    Fair play to you greg. Enjoy your break and enjoy the good weather!

See you soon!
  • edited May 2011
    Excellent decision Greg, Poker plays no part in life compared to family and friends. Will keep in touch as normal mate through other avenues. Come to Cardiff for the SPT mate, would be ace to see you and it will be good for you to.

Laterz Donk
  • edited May 2011

good luck hoggers, you know we all love you, whats your twitter.??

have some fun,..

get naked with some girls.....(drinking gin really seems to help this)

goto Amsterdam,

sit in the sun..

shame really because you were the only one that had the cahones to call my all in bluffs,

cheer up...at least you have that..:)

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Time for a change...:
    I think a lot of us here will be thinking "that's me also". I think time for life outside Sky is an important consideration. I find myself making excuses for playing extra nights, and am grumpy with the kids when i shouldn't be. Think I'll be taking a leaf out of the book of Hogg.
    Posted by Eyeman
    Yep. I've crept up to the point where I'm playing something almost every night. Some of it has become playing a micro sit & go for the sake of just playing something.

I've already self imposed some limits on that starting from 1st May and will be having even lower  limits during kids holidays from now on.
  • edited May 2011
    Sounds like a very wise decision, good luck to you Greg.

It's important to keep a balance in life. Obviously poker should be a lower priority than family and work. All players would benefit from occasional breaks.
  • edited May 2011

Good decision Hoggers, & you know where I am if you ever want to chat.

Poker IS very time-consuming, & so much fun, no mistake about that, & sometimes a little break enables us to get better balance in our lives.

Take care big man, look after yourself, & I hope to see you back here soon.

xx
  • edited May 2011
    Good Luck Hoggers!!

Well Done, It takes a strong character to sense & rectify a problem!

You Defo NEED other interests!!

I know all will work out for you !!
  • edited May 2011
    See you on the tables at some point when you come back refreshed.

Friends, family and work are way more important unless of course you're playing poker for a living.

I think it's is a good idea to to be strict if it's taking over your life. I know a couple of mates of mine have now cut down poker to just a weekend activity.
  • edited May 2011

look after yourself Greggers! Will we see you at the Badmington Horse trails soon then?, lol :))

I will miss our banter on and off the table. Hope you come back refreshed soon.

Take care,

Alan TKP
  • edited May 2011
    You useless sack of shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hit.

Don't exclude whatever u do, and buy a TV.

GL, I'll be a millionnaire when u return.
  • edited May 2011
    You useless sack of shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hit. Don't exclude whatever u do, and buy a TV. GL, I'll be a millionnaire when u return.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I don't think he's gone for a lifetime self-exclusion :o)
  • edited May 2011
    ffs what is it with all the fish leaving :P ahahaha

tbh last night i quit the tables out of boredom, shame you arent going to leeds because the SPT events always rekindle the spark to play poker again. 
  • edited May 2011
    Enjoy your break m8
  • edited May 2011
    I took a self enforced week off in February. I stuck to it religously and didn't play a single hand on any site (not even playchips) for the whole 7 days. When I came back poker was more fun and my results improved.

Prior to that I took a full 7 weeks off for my walk last Autumn, when I started playing again that time I had my best run of results ever.

Breaks are a good thing IMO, I plan to take further time away in the future whenever I feel I'm getting stale, getting bored or running particularly badly.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a4c5419b9-01cd-4fa0-84df-c90ca99edf4d
  • edited May 2011
    Thank you all for your lovely posts.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

I am not taking a break as i'm "running bad" or losing money. In fact, the opposite is true. Since 1st April 2011, i have been playing well, running well, and I have made a nice profit. I have learnt to play 20nl (having been wary of cash previously), and I beat it comfortably with the help and advice from other forum members, especially Dohhhhhhh, who has been an absolute star!!

I have just withdrawn a reasonable three figure sum which i built up from the 75 bonus that i got for March. I have however, left 56p in my account, and i do not plan to self exclude because I may wish to try to qualify for the SPT final at DTD in Notts, as my reward for my break. (if i do self exclude for 6 months does any1 know if i will still be able to buy in direct at DTD?) Also, i want to test my self control so if you see me playing please make sure you give me more abuse than usual!!:)- i know that's difficult in some cases:)

The reason for my "break" is that i have been spending far too much time playing poker online, and on this community, when i should be concentrating on the more important things in life such as family, friends, health, and work/finances at this time in my life.

I will never cut ties with poker, i love the game too much, and as a responsible hobby it is fine. But, when it starts taking over one's life, it is definitely time to reflect and do something about it!

I have not been a good son, brother, or friend recently. I have become cynical, selfish, difficult and miserable. A few of you may have seen this side of me recently and for that I apologise sincerely.

It is a difficult decision, because i feel like Sky Poker is my "family" in many ways, the community here, you guy's and girls, have all been wonderful. I have met many of you several times, and the fun and laughter we have had at SPT's and in the chat boxes has been 2nd to none! 

I love interacting with the TV channel, the presenters and having my nitty folds ripped apart on the poker clinic and live shows! I love the banter and mock abuse that we all share! I love the direction the site is going, with the new software and mtts structures, TSP, GUKPT sats, these are exciting times for Sky Poker and i wish you all every success in the future.

But for now it's time to say goodbye. Love to all!

Greg xxx

• edited May 2011
    Come back when you're ready Hogster 

Place wont seem the same without you 
  • edited May 2011
    -EV poker, +EV life, sounds like you're making the right decision for you. Enjoy your break mate, look forward to seeing you back with renewed vigor in a few months!
  • edited May 2011

I see stuff up my DYMs stop playing them and now running off to hide. Mmmmmm  What can I say, cold turkey will give you the shakes and I nearly Murdered my Hubby when he stopped playing for a Month. So if we never hear from you again I will send flowers. Byeeeee 4 now Hugs Annie x   

• edited May 2011

Hi Hogggers.

You wrote.....

if i do self exclude for 6 months does any1 know if i will still be able to buy in direct at DTD

The position on this is very important for you to understand.

If you Self-Exclude, you will not, under any circumstances, be permitted to play any SPT Events within that S-E timeframe. If you cashed in the Event, Sky Poker would be in breach of all sorts of protocols if they paid you the winnings, as it can ONLY be done Online, via the Poker client.

Sky Poker were in a horrible position in the first SPUKT Season when several self-excluded players attempted to buy-in direct to the Grand Final at DTD in Notts, & they were refused entry. It cannot be allowed, under any circumstances, I'm sorry to say. 

It would also be quite improper for me to suggest you do not self-exclude, but I'm sure you can decide yourself the most appropriate course of action.  
  • edited May 2011
    Hi Hogggers. You wrote..... if i do self exclude for 6 months does any1 know if i will still be able to buy in direct at DTD The position on this is very important for you to understand. If you Self-Exclude, you will not, under any circumstances, be permitted to play any SPT Events within that S-E timeframe. If you cashed in the Event, Sky Poker would be in breach of all sorts of protocols if they paid you the winnings, as it can ONLY be done Online, via the Poker client. Sky Poker were in a horrible position in the first SPUKT Season when several self-excluded players attempted to buy-in direct to the Grand Final at DTD in Notts, & they were refused entry. It cannot be allowed, under any circumstances, I'm sorry to say.  It would also be quite improper for me to suggest you do not self-exclude, but I'm sure you can decide yourself the most appropriate course of action.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    ty for clarifying this tikay and for your prompt response! I was unsure, and actually assumed that i would be able to play at the SPT grand final at DTD as a private individual unrelated to Sky Poker, but i am very glad that i checked! And yes it makes sense.

I will not be self excluding, as I would like to leave my options open, and i want to test my self discipline innit.

I couldn't not post the word "innit" on this thread somewhere, it wouldn't seem right:)

• edited May 2011
     I see stuff up my DYMs stop playing them and now running off to hide. Mmmmmm  What can I say, cold turkey will give you the shakes and I nearly Murdered my Hubby when he stopped playing for a Month. So if we never hear from you again I will send flowers. Byeeeee 4 now Hugs Annie x   
    Posted by logdon
    Lol, you got me owned there Annie!

It's humour like this that i will miss. All the best!

• edited May 2011
    Self excluding would be the worst thing you can possibly do. (I'm always right, right?)

every person I've spoken to that has done it in the past, for whatever reason has regretted it afterwards (and also during).

You can't gain anything from it. Just don't play if you don't wanna. 

Are you gonna buy a TV? What make? how big? how much? what colour buttons? and what make of batteries r u gonna put in your zapper?

--------------------------------------

On a serious note, I bet a couple of weeks off will do the job, it wont take months. Then you can start playing again as and when you want, rather than all the time.

If you wanna self exclude, do it for 1 week at a time, and at the end of that week if you don't feel right, give yourself another week.

Dust off that badminton racket............
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Time for a change... : ty for clarifying this tikay and for your prompt response! I was unsure, and actually assumed that i would be able to play at the SPT grand final at DTD as a private individual unrelated to Sky Poker, but i am very glad that i checked! And yes it makes sense. I will not be self excluding, as I would like to leave my options open, and i want to test my self discipline innit. I couldn't not post the word "innit" on this thread somewhere, it wouldn't seem right:)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Thanks Greg,

As you note, even a "private individual" cannot enter if self-excluded, as payment of winnings can ONLY be paid Online, via their Sky Poker Account.

For the record, "Self-Exclude" cannot be "undone" in any circumstances.
  • edited May 2011
    hi greg,you are doing the right thing if it is affecting you that much.
    i stopped playing so much a few months ago due to finances and time issues.and whn i came back i found i enjoy it more.
    the only problem with not playing poker was i ended up play call of duty zombies for 3/4 hours  night instead!(at least it was with my son who's nine).
    good luck and cant you consider just paying the spt's as you are the only one that makes me look fashionable!

cheers,dave