You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i need a re-think

2»

Comments

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think:
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : Boredom I think. Don dreams of GUKPT final tables, WSOP main events, bracelets and millions of $$$. So even though he's 4 buy ins up within an hour, quadroupling his BR in the process, it's just not enough!!! "Coz there's a GUKPT sat in an hour for 3/4 of my br and I'm gonna win it all!!!" lol
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Bit harsh Doh but thats me aswell lol in a nutshell !!

I have the worst BRM in history, constantly taking shots at like 30%-50% of my BR so.... DON there are only two ways to increase you BR and play higher limits
    The slow Grind
    The get rich quick taking shots in MTT'S

You probably just experiencing a bad run in MTT's, this can go on for like 10-15 MTT's so .... chin up
    But if you running good play as many MTT's possible tbh

• edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : no its kool to ask. I think youve got a pretty neat profit for a tenner. hard to BR build from that small
    Posted by The_Don90

Hi Don

You've often been kind enough to respond to my posts so I hope you don't mind a relative newcomer's thoughts.

Not been playing on-line long (since Jan). Messed about a bit and kept doing my (relatively tiny) stack by trying to accelerate up the DYM and MTT levels without earning the right - or the money!

Switched to 2/4 cash. Making slow progress but doing ok now I'm playing 2-3 tables.

The thing I've found is that cash has completely sh*gged my MTT play and I daren't even sit down at a dym any more! Way too aggressive early.

One thing I've found helps me, both from donking out on cash and resetting my mtt play is the deep stacks, where one moment of cash-induced madness doesn't end my tourney. I think it's improving my cash play too.

Anyway mate. Hope you get your mojo back.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : There is a bit of variance at nl4 given people's calling/gambling range. If you can do it 2 tabling might be a good way to get yourself into it. You see (not necessarily play) more hands but it also concentrates your mind. It can be frustrating though. 
    Posted by walesboy
    Yeah I've never multi-tabled and find it hard enough sometimes concentrating on everyone at my own table till I pick up reads on them lol. I don't think I'm at that stage of being able to play a few tables at once though I know where your coming from about it sharpening your mind to possibly play better.

Do you think I should deposit a wee bit more and switch to 4/8 where there would perhaps be less gambling and more proper play involved?
  • edited May 2011
    Wow very charming attack.  If you took the time to read more you'd see that I'd already discussed this, acknowledging many aspects widely.  I'm even acknowledging it in the thread that your replying to.... so pointing out the obvious much?? Just a really classy low blow, in an utterly needless way.  Very classy bud. But just to reply, you dont know anything about me.  These are my genuine flaws in regard to online cash that I already fully acknowledge and am aware of.  Also its not that I dont listen, if you again take the time to take a broader view you'll see thats not the case at all.  But your right I dont think in full alignment with others.  Since when has that been a bad thing?  The sum of all poker knowledge does not lie in this forum.  Plus you read any hand in the clinic, ask a variety of fulltime pro's, there will always be hugely different approaches to the game.  But if someone says something I dont agree with, or I cant get behind, then I'm going to say it.
    Posted by AMYBR
    not a charmin attack at all. just a view i have of you & afew others have of you(even if they wont say it direct). il tell you, you hate it when someone callenges your opinion all because you put up hands you know the outcome of then it makes you look good when the forum says diff thats all. its not an attack its just a general view on the hands you talk about
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : not a charmin attack at all. just a view i have of you & afew others have of you(even if they wont say it direct)
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion bud.  I recognise my flaws for what they are and fully own up to them, frequently.  I just dont undertand your post.  Your highlighting what I myself am highlighting, when trying to have someone benefit from my mistakesYou again drawing attention no it critically is pretty petty and childish.

. il tell you, you hate it when someone callenges your opinion.
    I understand that this is sometimes how I come across, but it isnt my intention.  I am genuinely interested in other peoples opinion/approach.  I will state the reasoning for my counter approach, but yes I understand why it may seem this way to others and have aplogised for it.

all because you put up hands you know the outcome of then it makes you look good when the forum says diff thats all.
    If you can give me even one example of this I'll eat my middle toe, left foot. (Other than a folded boat over boat.  Wasnt trying to look clever, simply wanted others POV on hand.  But I assume this is your solitary exhibit A).
     its not an attack its just a general view on the hands you talk about
    Posted by seppe
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : Yeah I've never multi-tabled and find it hard enough sometimes concentrating on everyone at my own table till I pick up reads on them lol. I don't think I'm at that stage of being able to play a few tables at once though I know where your coming from about it sharpening your mind to possibly play better. Do you think I should deposit a wee bit more and switch to 4/8 where there would perhaps be less gambling and more proper play involved?
    Posted by SALT1R3
    I've never played at the heady heights of 4/8. Was recreational for a while but trying to play more now to build the br.
    However, it has been said on threads before by players who play at much higher buyins that there isn't much difference between 2/4 and 4/8 in terms of play.
    It might be worth you 2 tabling with one being a small dym? I sometimes do that if I can't find another cash table. The small dyms are all about playing tight so it might give you experience that way?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : Hi Don You've often been kind enough to respond to my posts so I hope you don't mind a relative newcomer's thoughts. Not been playing on-line long (since Jan). Messed about a bit and kept doing my (relatively tiny) stack by trying to accelerate up the DYM and MTT levels without earning the right - or the money! Switched to 2/4 cash. Making slow progress but doing ok now I'm playing 2-3 tables. The thing I've found is that cash has completely sh*gged my MTT play and I daren't even sit down at a dym any more! Way too aggressive early. One thing I've found helps me, both from donking out on cash and resetting my mtt play is the deep stacks, where one moment of cash-induced madness doesn't end my tourney. I think it's improving my cash play too. Anyway mate. Hope you get your mojo back.
    Posted by Prop60
    yea definetly can relate to this. Im comfortable, but no good across all disiplines. Ive taken advice for deicated cash players and i play a different game completely in cash. Ive taken advice from good dym players and although i think im still a losing dym player im cashing around the break even mark there now. Mtts i was always reasonable at, just cant crack a big one. Ive never really discussed my mtt game with anyone as my style is pretty unique when it comes to mtts. (i do it all back to front.) but that works for me. And it allows me to use table image.

Because i have 3 seperate games, i cant play any at the same time, sometimes get away with a dym along with an mtt. But on the whole its one or the other. However i guess the good thing is if someone makes a note of me in one disipline is useless in another.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a re-think : I've never played at the heady heights of 4/8. Was recreational for a while but trying to play more now to build the br. However, it has been said on threads before by players who play at much higher buyins that there isn't much difference between 2/4 and 4/8 in terms of play. It might be worth you 2 tabling with one being a small dym? I sometimes do that if I can't find another cash table. The small dyms are all about playing tight so it might give you experience that way?
    Posted by walesboy
    NL8 from what ive seen over the last month is hard to put my finger on what is different playwise compared to NL4, but it does seem different. But I have noticed the following

- a few less limpers (not many) per table, but certainly less than NL4. More people will fold pre
    - Lots and lots of people that buyin for 25% or so of the full buyin.....and I mean loads. on NL4 they pretty much buy in for the same amount but of course thats only 50%....and I believe there are more that buyin for the full amount at NL4.
    - more TAG players (again not many but a few)
    - I think you get alot more people that are maniacs and happy to get all in on the flop with air or at best bottom pair - seen some really crazy plays. These seem to be people buying in for a small amount and trying to double up real quick.....alot of them tend to disapear shortly after if succesfull/ or not!!

Stratagy is the same. ABC, Bet hard, Bet big if hit etc etc.

Anyway Ive only been playing consistantly at this level for a month, and I only play for few nights a week after work, so cant really give an accurate POV, but this is just what ive seen so far. 
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah I played a few days at NL8 and though I was up on it I wasn't too comfortable playing it with my bankroll of <20 BI's at it. Switched to NL4 and feel a lot better playing there for the moment; doing ok at it as well, getting decent reads on most players who sit down there so I know who I can make moves on if need be. Just been playing ABC and so far so good.

Played a few dym's and I'm a decent tourney player (not awesome - just decent lol) but its a wee bit too mechanical for me. I like BH's more but am going to stick to cash for the time being (and make sure to avoid some of the posters on here at the moment to give my bankroll the best possible chance to increase lol! :D ).