You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8)

edited May 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok after some discussion with some fellow low stake players ive decided to start a thread purley aimed at the low stakes. Now this doesnt mean high stake players cant comment but it will only feature NL4 and NL8 hands. No bad beats please keep that for A51 and BBV.

Ok so ill start with a fairly standard NL4 hand.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.32
 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.42
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.66
The_Don90 Raise  £0.24 £0.34 £3.94
 Call  £0.24 £0.58 £4.56
 Call  £0.24 £0.82 £3.60
 Call  £0.22 £1.04 £3.10
 Fold     
 Call  £0.20 £1.24 £3.46
Flop

• A

Check     
 Check     
The_Don90 Check     
 Bet  £0.68 £1.92 £3.88
 Call  £0.68 £2.60 £2.92
 Fold     
 Fold     
The_Don90 Fold     
Turn

Bet  £0.80 £3.40 £3.08
 All-in  £2.92 £6.32 £0.00
 Call  £2.12 £8.44 £0.96
 Show

Show
  • A

River

Win Straight to the 6 £7.80  £7.80
As stated this is fairly standard. Should i be raising more pre? And is it fair to just check fold flop?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Another pretty standard one should i be going for value here on this kind of board?
    oynutter Big blind  £0.04 £0.04 £1.86
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

xCall  £0.04 £0.08 £2.53
    damian1972 Fold     
    The_Don90 Raise  £0.20 £0.28 £3.99
    dugboy25 Fold     
    oynutter Fold     
    xCall  £0.16 £0.44 £2.37
    Flop

xCheck     
    The_Don90 Bet  £0.33 £0.77 £3.66
    xCall  £0.33 £1.10 £2.04
    Turn

xBet  £0.55 £1.65 £1.49
    The_Don90 Call  £0.55 £2.20 £3.11
    River

xBet  £1.10 £3.30 £0.39
    The_Don90 Call  £1.10 £4.40 £2.01
    xShow
    • A

The_Don90 Show
    • A
    • A

The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s £4.07  £6.08
  • edited May 2011
    I like the thread!

Hand 1) i would bet out on the flop you have raised pre and most people probably fold unless they have the ace, if called then i'd shut down turn and river

hand 2) Bet more flop, re-raise and put him in on turn, also whats the point in just flatting in the end he has 40p whether your good or not just put him in you blouse ;)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8):
    Another pretty standard one should i be going for value here on this kind of board? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance oynutter Big blind   £0.04 £0.04 £1.86   Your hole cards A A       x Call   £0.04 £0.08 £2.53 damian1972 Fold         The_Don90 Raise   £0.20 £0.28 £3.99 dugboy25 Fold         oynutter Fold         x Call   £0.16 £0.44 £2.37 Flop     8 4 6       x Check         The_Don90 Bet   £0.33 £0.77 £3.66 x Call   £0.33 £1.10 £2.04 Turn     8       x Bet   £0.55 £1.65 £1.49 The_Don90 Call   £0.55 £2.20 £3.11 River     7       x Bet   £1.10 £3.30 £0.39 The_Don90 Call   £1.10 £4.40 £2.01 x Show A 3       The_Don90 Show A A       The_Don90 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s £4.07   £6.08
    Posted by The_Don90
    hand 1 is fine, hand two pot size raise flop and the turn and shove the river, as played you still should of raised the river as there was only 39p in it anyway. Im not sure there needs to be a small stakes thread in the clinic though we all use the simple set up how it is and everyone appears to be happy with it
  • edited May 2011

Hand 1) - I am 1000000000000% checking this flop with an ace on the board. There is no way in a month of sundays someone does not have an Ace with that many callers here. A raise here, in my experience always induces a call....hes not going away, what are you doing on the turn? fire another, hes not going away is he? Hes got top pair....which is the nuts of course. Check fold, grumble quietly at the unfairness of it all, and make a note.

2) played fine but I would jam the turn

• edited May 2011
    hand 1 im check folding the flop, theres no way after getting 4 callers to ur preflop raise that the ace hasnt paired
    hand 2 played it ok, without knowing who it is, i dont mind flatting the turn but i set him all in for his last 39p after he bets river, why did he leave that behind if he had the 8?
  • edited May 2011
    Hand 1 - you are near enough first to act  -the pre flop raise is fine. 4 callers! then i'm definately check folding once the ace comes down as guaranteed at least one of them has an ace.
    Hand 2 - pre fine, I'd pot bet the flop and maybe reraise on turn
  • edited May 2011
    N1CK Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.66
    Cannon223 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.48
    harpo359 Sit out        
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

Rainy1 Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.35
    lukinmyiii Fold        
    F-B-I Call   £0.04 £0.14 £1.86
    N1CK Raise   £0.14 £0.28 £4.52
    Cannon223 Fold        
    Rainy1 Fold        
    F-B-I Call   £0.12 £0.40 £1.74
    Flop

N1CK Bet   £0.24 £0.64 £4.28
    F-B-I Call   £0.24 £0.88 £1.50
    Turn

• Q

N1CK Bet   £0.66 £1.54 £3.62
    F-B-I Call   £0.66 £2.20 £0.84
    River

• A

• edited May 2011
    Bet 83p to induce a shove
  • edited May 2011
    they all seem pretty bad, pre flop pretty standard could of opened more? cbet seems ok? should i v-bet river or slow down coz flush scares me?

i had been getting good cards in early pos and was opening a fair bit in late pos, i started off iso raising to 20p but everyone folds so reduced it to 16 but still folding, was nice to get free money pre but i wanted action and to play streets so opened smaller
  • edited May 2011
    Bet more pre, I prob give up on flop if im honest

River they have 84p behind so bet that
  • edited May 2011
    Bet more pre, I prob give up on flop if im honest River they have 84p behind so bet that
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    why more pre? coz two limpers and im oop? would you not bet flop? i expected to have the best hand and i expected him to call with worse lol
  • edited May 2011
    this guys limps big hands and plays them very slow and trappy but he did limp/3bet shove hand privious with j4 and got lucky, whats the best thing for me to do?
    N1CK Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £5.44
    swinian Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.42
      Your hole cards

harpo359 Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.51
    lukinmyiii Call   £0.04 £0.14 £1.75
    N1CK Raise   £0.16 £0.30 £5.28
    swinian Fold        
    harpo359 Call   £0.14 £0.44 £2.37
    lukinmyiii All-in   £1.75 £2.19 £0.00
  • edited May 2011
    lukinmyiii Small blind
    £0.02 £0.02 £0.93
    N1CK Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £6.37
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A

swinian Call   £0.04 £0.10 £1.46
    harpo359 Fold        
    lukinmyiii Call   £0.02 £0.12 £0.91
    N1CK Raise   £0.12 £0.24 £6.25
    swinian Fold        
    lukinmyiii All-in   £0.91 £1.15 £0.00
    N1CK Call   £0.79 £1.94 £5.46
    lukinmyiii Show
    • J

N1CK Show
    • J
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

• Q

River

• K

lukinmyiii Win Two Pairs, Queens and 4s £1.79   £1.79
  • edited May 2011
    aq hand first, i make it 26p, but kowing this level they call thats why im hating ak, aq in the blinds just now, dont mind the c bet on flop but once i hit q on turn i would quite poss go allin here, its unreal what people will call a shove with that u beat, and it includes flush draws n middle pairs.

99 hand, took a lot of looking at to realise u were in sb, for me i do not raise pre here, u will get called, set mine with it, not a lot of flops u want to see that u like, think of them as 2s, i think ur ahead of this guy but im not sue about the call, uv still someone to act behind u that makes it an easier fold even tho i dont think the bb has much
  • edited May 2011
    now i see ur 3rd hand i can see where the problem lies, u are raising OOP at NL4 with marginal hands
  • edited May 2011
    now i see ur 3rd hand i can see where the problem lies, u are raising OOP at NL4 with marginal hands
    Posted by TINTIN
    what problem? should i just check then and why would that be best?
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8) : what problem? should i just check then and why would that be best?
    Posted by N1CK
    i will forget about aq coz i have been playing it similarly, but you are almost gauranteed callers when raising from the blinds at this level, people are not willing to let go of hands so why raise with marginal hands and inflate the pot. 

forget the opponents action in those hands and think to urself what you are trying to achieve by raising, what ur plan should u miss n see bad flops,

what happens when ur 99 flops 2 overcards. whats ur plan then, c bet n get called, remember people will call down light on this level. (2nd pair no kicker, gutshot,etc)

what hapens when when u raise and get flat called with aj and u miss the board, same as above.

remember its easier to play these in position once you have seen ur opponents actions on the streets. allows you to decide how strong they are.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8) : i will forget about aq coz i have been playing it similarly, but you are almost gauranteed callers when raising from the blinds at this level, people are not willing to let go of hands so why raise with marginal hands and inflate the pot.  forget the opponents action in those hands and think to urself what you are trying to achieve by raising, what ur plan should u miss n see bad flops, what happens when ur 99 flops 2 overcards. whats ur plan then, c bet n get called, remember people will call down light on this level. (2nd pair no kicker, gutshot,etc) what hapens when when u raise and get flat called with aj and u miss the board, same as above. remember its easier to play these in position once you have seen ur opponents actions on the streets. allows you to decide how strong they are.
    Posted by TINTIN
    some quite good advice
  • edited May 2011
    Got to be honest Nick, very surprised to see you play 2/4p.  Kind of clears up some things.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8) : some quite good advice
    Posted by N1CK
    the main thing to remeber is its NL4,play more ABC, you have to keep bluffing to a min and its a hell of a lot easier if u are on the button and should you hit then its value betting all the way, i will try to find some examples of this for you
  • edited May 2011
    Got to be honest Nick, very surprised to see you play 2/4p.  Kind of clears up some things.
    Posted by AMYBR
    soon i will be able to crush this limit, i just need to get more hands in
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8) : why more pre? coz two limpers and im oop? would you not bet flop? i expected to have the best hand and i expected him to call with worse lol
    Posted by N1CK
    Your raise isn't really acheiving anything other then pot building. Depending on the table dynamics id prob make 28p  to filter out any 2 merchants and charge the limpers, it may not get rid of any 2 but still its making them pay to hit if that makes sense??

I dont like standard c bet at nl4 as generally you will get called a) either miles behind, b) by draws c) in hope they get lucky so i would be happier to check/call or even check/fold given my read on my opponent. What do you do if your opponent re-raises on flop? or shoves all in? for pot control i prefer check/call if you still feel your Ace & Queen is good

I cant really comment on other hands at mo as busy at work :)
  • edited May 2011
    I went back to delete this pos, it was only meant to pay you back a little and I hoped you might bite :)

Serious comment though:  I believe now, and have always believed that playing this level is detrimental to any skillful players game.  HEAR ME OUT.

Your not playing against people who are thinking logically in the main.  Players who dont understand position, equity or odds.  They wont fold draws, or allow you to make skillful creative play, that a co erced table image will allow.  It just seems to me that when you balance off the time your hand holds against the insanity where you lose to outdraws in multi way pots it cant be worth it. 

I dont doubt you have a good game.  But I think the way a person must adapt their game to win at this level would in fact instill habits that would be harmful at the higher levels.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong, as I have said frequently my online cash sucks a/s's.  But I crush live (mostly).  This is just the way I have always seen it.
  • edited May 2011
    I went back to delete this pos, it was only meant to pay you back a little and I hoped you might bite :) Serious comment though:  I believe now, and have always believed that playing this level is detrimental to any skillful players game.  HEAR ME OUT. Your not playing against people who are thinking logically in the main.  Players who dont understand position, equity or odds.  They wont fold draws, or allow you to make skillful creative play, that a co erced table image will allow.  It just seems to me that when you balance off the time your hand holds against the insanity where you lose to outdraws in multi way pots it cant be worth it.  I dont doubt you have a good game.  But I think the way a person must adapt their game to win at this level would in fact instill habits that would be harmful at the higher levels. I'm fully prepared to be wrong, as I have said frequently my online cash sucks a/s's.  But I crush live (mostly).  This is just the way I have always seen it.
    Posted by AMYBR
    i agree with this to an extent, there is too many bad habits to be picked up here, and it is not a level to try any fancy plays, strictly abc stuff, altho its still there to be beat
  • edited May 2011
    I went back to delete this pos, it was only meant to pay you back a little and I hoped you might bite :) Serious comment though:  I believe now, and have always believed that playing this level is detrimental to any skillful players game.  HEAR ME OUT. Your not playing against people who are thinking logically in the main.  Players who dont understand position, equity or odds.  They wont fold draws, or allow you to make skillful creative play, that a co erced table image will allow.  It just seems to me that when you balance off the time your hand holds against the insanity where you lose to outdraws in multi way pots it cant be worth it.  I dont doubt you have a good game.  But I think the way a person must adapt their game to win at this level would in fact instill habits that would be harmful at the higher levels. I'm fully prepared to be wrong, as I have said frequently my online cash sucks a/s's.  But I crush live (mostly).  This is just the way I have always seen it.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Its wierd but alot of people assume table selection is unimportant at NL4 as you have alot of fish at everytable.

However alot of you mentiod above is true, and so table selection becomes quite important. You cant sit down at a table with 5 completely awful players that will call down anything.....you always end up going multi way 4 handed. It has to be balanced.

My personal preference is to find a table with 1 or 2 other 4nl regs and 3 calling stations. Between the regs the calling stations get torn apart, inevitably leave busto. Then you normally have other people come and try their luck as they see some big stacks and want a cut of the action. It also means you know there are 2 other players that you can be a little bit more creative with, and stops you getting too bored.

That said you DO want these awful players there, you know your ahead alot of the time, and just have to suck it up when Your AK vs their K5 gets beat by a 5 on the river......I dont care too much. Reload, get it back.

Of course eventually other regs sit down and there are not enough fish to go round.....I then get up and leave.....unless im really enjoying the action and dont mind risking my winnings.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: The low stake cash clinic thread. (NL4/NL8) : Its wierd but alot of people assume table selection is unimportant at NL4 as you have alot of fish at everytable.   However alot of you mentiod above is true, and so table selection becomes quite important. You cant sit down at a table with 5 completely awful players that will call down anything.....you always end up going multi way 4 handed. It has to be balanced. My personal preference is to find a table with 1 or 2 other 4nl regs and 3 calling stations. Between the regs the calling stations get torn apart, inevitably leave busto. Then you normally have other people come and try their luck as they see some big stacks and want a cut of the action. It also means you know there are 2 other players that you can be a little bit more creative with, and stops you getting too bored. That said you DO want these awful players there, you know your ahead alot of the time, and just have to suck it up when Your AK vs their K5 gets beat by a 5 on the river......I dont care too much. Reload, get it back. Of course eventually other regs sit down and there are not enough fish to go round.....I then get up and leave.....unless im really enjoying the action and dont mind risking my winnings.
    Posted by tapeworm
    I could almost agree with you. I usually look for just one reg though. I have a list of 3 or 4 regs who ill happily sit with. Sometimes this also means some banter in the chatbox. This is one great thing about a bad beat at NL4 is the banter can help you forget about it quickly.

However i would say table selection at NL4 is less important at NL4 than at those higher levels. I usually look for decent stacks with a known fish in amoungst. Although since on the whole their 90% fish im kool playing 5 randoms if they all have 50BB or more.
  • edited May 2011

I tried sitting down at the 4nl 10 max tables the other night.......Oh my god. SUPER TILT!!!! It was like playing facebook poker it was that bad.

Raise 5 x BB? 5 callers
    Raise 6 x BB 5 callers
    Raise........in fact sod this im off!!!

It was like me vs 5 other players.......well it was....but you know what I mean. They ganged up on me I swear!!

• edited May 2011
    However alot of you mentiod above is true, and so table selection becomes quite important. You cant sit down at a table with 5 completely awful players that will call down anything.....you always end up going multi way 4 handed. It has to be balanced.

No it doesn't.  Being at a table with 5 people who are poor players is the best kind of table.  Players like Durrr/Good2CU/Raptor/Feldman built their multi-million pound rolls in the pre 2006 games where the fish to shark ratio was 5:1.

People who say they are too good to beat poor players are fish themselves.  Adapt to the table.

And Don like I said before, get some more money in and just grind.  You are wasting time with all these posts.  You must have been doing the same kind of hands here for at least a year now.  If you can't beat nl4 comfortably by now then you should seriously think of quitting.  Don't play MTTs.  Try and get 100£ into your account so you have a decent roll for nl4 then follow the roll advice that Doh posted the other day.  That is all you need to succeed is to follow that one post.
  • edited May 2011
    Sorry if that comes across as a bit harsh but I remember your videos and on the whole they seemed to be very solid and you should def be a nl10/nl20 reg and comfortably rolled for it by now.  You like to overanalyse things/overcomplicate things.

You should have all the skills now to seriously grind and build a roll.  SO DO IT.  Don't withdraw.  Don't take shots at MTTs you aren't rolled for.  If you fancy a MTT day then stick to the ones in your roll plus the odd sat or two.

If you can put in 100£, multitable and get 6 hours in per day I see no reason at all why you can't have at least a grand in your account by the end of June.  Once you hit that figure you can then start taking out a bit a week to save/enjoy life with.

Follows Doh's post to the letter.  And I rarely say that lol.
  • edited May 2011
    However alot of you mentiod above is true, and so table selection becomes quite important. You cant sit down at a table with 5 completely awful players that will call down anything.....you always end up going multi way 4 handed. It has to be balanced. No it doesn't.  Being at a table with 5 people who are poor players is the best kind of table.  Players like Durrr/Good2CU/Raptor/Feldman built their multi-million pound rolls in the pre 2006 games where the fish to shark ratio was 5:1. People who say they are too good to beat poor players are fish themselves.  Adapt to the table. And Don like I said before, get some more money in and just grind.  You are wasting time with all these posts.  You must have been doing the same kind of hands here for at least a year now.  If you can't beat nl4 comfortably by now then you should seriously think of quitting.  Don't play MTTs.  Try and get 100£ into your account so you have a decent roll for nl4 then follow the roll advice that Doh posted the other day.  That is all you need to succeed is to follow that one post.
    Posted by scotty77
    Scotty your talking about chalk and cheese. Those player they were playiong at were not sat a 4nl table were they - they would have had more experience than your average 4nl player and been able to fold etc. Im not saying you dont want these players at your table - I just prefer not to have 5 of them and go into each hand 3 or 4 handed. What everyone else prefers is up to them.

Im not saying I am to good to beat poor players either - if it came over that way then that isnt what I intended.