You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 strategy from DOHHHHHH (v long)

edited February 2015 in The Poker Clinic
a good read, hope you havent just made the games harder

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Another thread dedicated to low stakes. Alot of the people I talk to about poker off the tables are nl4 players. 

Speaking to a few people about it, so thought I'd have another crack at it and bang some hands up.

Played about an hour on 10 tables, and just played abc, then dropped down to 4 for a while to try and get some reads/notes and use them to make decisions.

Gonna go through some hands and basic strategy, before ending with a general summary!

-----------------------------------

Start from the start!

Pre flop.

Our whole strategy at this level is going to be about value. We're not going to mix it up with players, readless, we're gnonna play solid poker, and exploit the mistakes our opponents make.

Without any sort of reads or anything, say you're sat with 5 unknowns, hand selection is key!

I reckon a standard open raise size of 5xbb is about right. 20p from all positions with value hands assuming you're the first into the pot.

This figure shouldn't be set in stone though. Some hands are easier to play post flop than others.

For example, If I have AA utg, I want to play it, it's a clear open to 20p. I could have pocket 2s. Again, I want to play it because if I hit a set, I get paid well and win a big pot.

However I'd rather not commit 5xbb utg w/22 because most flops I'm just going to have to check or fold.

I can adapt my raise size, and open to 3xbb. THEY DON'T NOTICE!!!  Without reads, this is fine, but if someone behind is aggressive and raising alot, it's fine to limp in and call a raise, rather than raise and be re-raised off the pot without seeing a flop.

Seriously, mixing your raise sizes up according to the strength of your hand is fine.

Another scenario, I have AA on the button and theres a limp UTG. I'm making it 7xbb (28p). 2 limpers, it's going up to 38p. etc. We're looking to pot build with value hands from start to finish.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TOOCANOO14 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.25
    haylee Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.85
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

gmac759 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.21
    BOBTHEBEAR Call  £0.04 £0.14 £2.12
    DeucesLive Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.32 £0.46 £7.15
    Here I've got a value hand in late position. After a couple of limpers I'm looking to bang it right up. None of this 3x + 1 per limper, just bash the raise button till you get a big number and get building the pot.

Pairs in limped pots?

I really don't think there's any value in raising limpers with hands that aren't going to hit many flops. The pots build fast at nl4. Limping with pairs, even as strong as 9s or maybe 10s is fine in limped pots.

It's important to look at stack sizes of opponents. If theres a raise and a call in front, it looks like a great spot to see a flop with 22/33/44/55/66/77. You really need the players to be at least 50xbb deep to call here. We are never gonna win the pot unless we hit a set, because our strategy post flop is all about value town, rather than bluffing and taking pots down uncontested.
    pin119 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.10
    jaieboy196 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.73
    FERN390 Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £0.62
      Your hole cards

redmaz Call  £0.04 £0.14 £5.60
    fenster742 Raise  £0.20 £0.34 £5.63
    FERN390 Call  £0.16 £0.50 £0.46
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.20 £0.70 £3.72
    Looking at the above hand, the stacks are such that if I hit a set on the flop, my opponents have alot of money behind, so I have the implied odds to make the call and win a big pot.

3 bet sizing.

Pre flop 3 bet sizing is really important at nl4.

Our 3 bet value range readless is going to be fairly tight. JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK.

Similar to unraised pots, bigger is better. You can't worry about 3 betting AA big, and making everyone fold. As that is going to happen. It happens at every level, nl4 to nl1k. You just have to get used to it.

Never worry about "scaring people off". We're betting for value constantly. Bigger bets = more value.

The tendancies of nl4 players are to see flops, they hate to fold. So we can use this in our favour by charging them more, hence winning more money when we have the best hand. Our hand selection is solid, so we will have the best hand most times!!
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.23
    wizzywis12 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.07
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

sub000zero Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.15
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.80 £1.06 £4.43
    Really simple spot, and this is just going over basics, but readless we've got a value hand that we're willing to get in pre flop and on alot of flops, so bigger sizing = more chance of doing so.

It's also important to look at stack sizes when 3 betting.

If your opponent has a £1.50 stack, and you have aces facing his raise, you can 3 bet smaller, as here we really do not want to scare him off, and we don't need to raise so big to get all his money in by the end of the hand. A normal 3 bet size from maybe 12p to 32p is fine against short stacks with value hands. Again, they will not notice.

Post flop

Like pre flop, our post flop strategy is gonna be all about value.

The general rule readless is to very rarely c bet without a good hand.

Never c bet as a total bluff. It's important to identify good flops to c bet, by considering our pot equity and our fold equity.

Scary words, which I probably shouldn't even be using myself at the mo. lol. But I'll try and explain in words that I will understand.

If we're c betting we need to be pretty confident that there are turn cards that will make us the best hand. The turn cards that we could potentially hit, will then turn our hand into a value hand, rather than a semi bluff.

To work out if our hand has good equity (or a good chance of going ahead of our opponents range) on the turn, we need to look at flop texture.

For example if we have pocket 3's on a T Q A flop with 2 hearts. This is a horrible board for our hand. Our opponent is likely to have high cards, so we have little fold equity against his range, as people don't fold pairs.

We also only have 2 good turn cards that will potentially turn our hand into a value hand. So our equity in the hand is also terrible.

Therefore it' not a good board to c bet.

An alternative situation is a board of 2 5 9 rainbow.

We hold ace king, and it's checked to us in position.

This is 1 of the rare occasions we can cbet. The board is really dry, and it is likely that our opponent will miss this flop quite alot. Our cbet will make him fold most of the time.

If he calls, we have 6 cards to hit on the turn and river to improve our hand, and turn it into a value situation.

Combine the fold equity we have in the hand, with the likelihood of our hand improving on turn or river, and this makes it a great spot to make a continuation bet.
    DadandLad Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.84
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £13.42
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

JINTY Call  £0.04 £0.10 £5.16
    53rocks Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £9.22
    alcando Fold     
    DadandLad Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.48 £0.74 £12.94
    JINTY Fold     
    53rocks Call  £0.36 £1.10 £8.86
    Flop

• J

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £0.83 £1.93 £12.11
    53rocks Call  £0.83 £2.76 £8.03
    Turn

• A

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    53rocks Check     
    River

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.38 £4.14 £10.73
    53rocks Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Muck     
    DOHHHHHHH Win  £2.55  £13.28
    DOHHHHHHH Return  £1.38 £0.21 £14.66
    Above hand shows a good time to cbet.

We're out of position, so we should be extra careful when c-betting, but as this is a 3bet pot against another big stack, it's not a bad time to c bet.

The board is Jack high, with 2 low cards and no flush draw. It's very unlikely that my opponent has hit this flop.
    I have 2 overcards to the board, which can convert my hand into a value hand on the turn or river.

He makes the call, and I hit one of the cards to turn my hand into a value hand.

As we're so deep, I decide to take the pot control line which is very important at nl4 (see later). I check because we're deepstacked, I don't really want to get stacks in here.

His turn check behind gives me the green light to go ahead and value bet the river.

The point about the hand is I wasn't "c-betting dead". He's going to fold the flop alot of the time, and some of the times that he calls, I will go ahead of his hand range and be able to bet for value.

Betting for value.

This really is the bread and butter of nl4. Our value range post flop.

Because of our solid hand selection pre flop, we're not going to get into many spots where we are unsure of what to do.

Bet sizing readless should always at least be 3/4 of the pot. Again, we're never worried about "scaring people off". That will inevitably happen, people will fold when we flop the nuts, but we need to maximise value the times that they have hands to continue.
    teddy991 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.62
    acesfull83 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.62
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

Somkey Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.10
    shokdee1 Fold     
    CSDS Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.28 £0.38 £4.25
    teddy991 Fold     
    acesfull83 Fold     
    Somkey Call  £0.24 £0.62 £2.86
    Flop

• A

Somkey Bet  £0.31 £0.93 £2.55
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.24 £2.17 £3.01
    In the above hand we've raised alot following 1 limper with a v strong value hand. We've hit the flop now all we want to do is get the money in.

I don't want to go too much into hand reading, but the fact he limped in pre flop and called a raise, before leading into me on the flop, tells me he has something.

If he has something, he doesn't fold, right?

So we want to get his money in the middle as soon as possible.

A big raise is the way to do that, lets get it in and get value from his aces, his flush draws, his pocket pairs, anything that he's stupid enough to call with really.

The end of the hand is below, as you can see he put most of his money in miles behind, and got there on the river this time, but we played the hand well. So what, he's just keeping it warm.

• A

Somkey Bet  £0.31 £0.93 £2.55
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.24 £2.17 £3.01
    Somkey Call  £0.93 £3.10 £1.62
    Turn

Somkey All-in  £1.62 £4.72 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £1.62 £6.34 £1.39
    Somkey Show

DOHHHHHHH Show
    • A
    • K

River

Somkey Win Two Pairs, 6s and 5s £5.86  £5.86
    I could post umpteen examples of value towning post flop, but once you've seen 1, you've seen them all. The key is to bet strong with a strong hand.

Pot control

Even when we are playing solid hands pre flop, we're still going to get ourselves into some marginal spots post flop. It's poker, it's never gonna be THAT simple.

It's important not to get attatched to marginal hands. We need to recognise times that we have a strong value hand, in which case we're happy to get all the money in. We need also to recognise times when we have a good hand, which will be good alot of the time, but will also be behind sometimes.
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £9.26
    JINTY Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.74
      Your hole cards

bestman Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.66
    53rocks Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £10.13
    alcando Fold     
    DadandLad Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.14 £0.40 £9.12
    JINTY Fold     
    bestman Call  £0.12 £0.52 £4.54
    Flop

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £0.39 £0.91 £8.73
    bestman Call  £0.39 £1.30 £4.15
    53rocks Fold     
    Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    bestman Bet  £0.65 £1.95 £3.50
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.65 £2.60 £8.08
    The above hand is a good example of pot control.

It's an overpair to the board, "it's the nuts at nl4" - Not neccesserily. It's a pot where someone else has raised pre flop. We've called to set mine as our opponent is deep stacked enough to offer us good implied odds (see pre flop strategy).

I donk lead out for value, as I have a strong hand. I want information about the intiial raisers hand, does he have an overpair? (I fold here if I am raised).

The initial raiser folds, and I get a call from the other guy.

I have no real idea what his range is readless. He could have literally anything right? You know the drill @ nl4!!

So alarm bells are going off, and the turn brings an over-card.

My hand is now definitely a marginal hand, and I want to get to showdown. Checking to him allows him to bluff, and stops us inflating the pot, we don't want to bet and get raised, because we have to fold.

We can get ourselves in a mess in situations like this by betting out of position.

The end of the hand is posted below (brag) but that's just for fun, It's a hand from later on in my session, and I had notes/reads on the oppo, that I will come to later in the thread.
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £9.26
    JINTY Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.74
      Your hole cards

bestman Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.66
    53rocks Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £10.13
    alcando Fold     
    DadandLad Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.14 £0.40 £9.12
    JINTY Fold     
    bestman Call  £0.12 £0.52 £4.54
    Flop

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £0.39 £0.91 £8.73
    bestman Call  £0.39 £1.30 £4.15
    53rocks Fold     
    Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    bestman Bet  £0.65 £1.95 £3.50
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.65 £2.60 £8.08
    River

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    bestman All-in  £3.50 £6.10 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £3.50 £9.60 £4.58
    DOHHHHHHH Show

bestman Show

DOHHHHHHH Win Two Pairs, 9s and 8s £8.88  £13.46
    Just a quick note on pot controlling draws. Referring back to the notes on C betting, if we have the betting lead post flop, and we have a draw, we improve on alot of turns. So it's okay to bet our good draws in position.

If we are out of position, or our opponent has the betting lead pre flop, it's best to check and call bets until we hit. Or fold if we aren't getting the right price.

Use the notes on "c betting" to identify good and bad flops to c bet our draws on.

Playing the river/overbetting.

I thought it would be good to introduce the over-bet. I think this is one of our best weapons at micro stakes.

It's different to making pre flop and flop bet sizes "big", in that we normally only over-bet on the river.

Overbet also means betting "more than the pot"

We're always looking for ways to maximise value.  Our whole strategy from pre flop to now, on the river, has been about extracting as much money from our opponents as we can.

Betting/raising strong is fine, but using the over-bet effectively can boost your win-rate big-time!

It normally works best when the pot is small. If the pot is still small on the river, it means our hand has likely improved alot on the turn or river, because if we were strong pre flop and on the flop, our strategy dictates that the pot would be big by now, not small.

So we've got there on the river by taking the pot control line then improving. We need to somehow get value, but the pot is tiny, how can we maximise this opportunity?

OVERBET!
    missshort Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.65
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £9.83
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

arnie57 Fold     
    chaper Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.76
    missshort Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.08 £0.26 £9.75
    Flop

• A

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    chaper Bet  £0.13 £0.39 £3.63
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.13 £0.52 £9.62
    Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
    chaper Check     
    River

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.12 £1.64 £8.50
    chaper Call  £1.12 £2.76 £2.51
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • Q
    • J

chaper Muck
    • K

DOHHHHHHH Win Straight to the Queen £2.55  £11.05
    The hand above, we've picked up a draw to the nuts, nothing to shout about, so we keep the pot as small as possible. It's really cheap to get there, and we do.

The pot is only 50p though. Sure we could bet 35p and hope he has something, or we can go for max value and overbet the pot.

We know people don't like to fold, so they will call us much wider than they should.

Bang in a 2x the pot sized bet, and let him station off his money to us, happy days! If he folds? meh, we might have lost 30p of value, but the times we get paid £1.20 more than makes up for it.

Another example below.

I raise the turn here, as my draw is MASSIVE, and the pot is so small. My opponents are both quite deep stacked, so I want to build the pot slightly, to maximise my potential winnings should I hit my draw on the river. 

We have a great chance of improving on the river, and good "implied odds" against our opponents stacks. If our opponents are shallow, we needn't raise here. It's important to keep an eye on opponents stack sizes post flop as well as pre flop.

But again, as always, the idea on the end is to try and extract maximum value, raising the turn with big "pot equity" (or a big chance of our hand improving) allows us to make a more powerful value bet or in this case, over-bet on the river.
    fletch420 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.37
    DOHHHHHHH Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £10.99
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

arnie57 Fold     
    IN4APENNY Fold     
    Yell4Yella Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.41
    chaper Fold     
    fletch420 Call  £0.02 £0.12 £5.35
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    Flop

fletch420 Check     
    DOHHHHHHH Check     
    Yell4Yella Check     
    Turn

fletch420 Bet  £0.04 £0.16 £5.31
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £0.24 £0.40 £10.75
    Yell4Yella Call  £0.24 £0.64 £2.17
    fletch420 Fold     
    River

• K

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £1.36 £2.00 £9.39
    Yell4Yella All-in  £2.17 £4.17 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.81 £4.98 £8.58
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    • Q
    • J

Yell4Yella Show
    • A
    • A

DOHHHHHHH Win Straight to the King £4.60  £13.18
    Mentality

I appreciate that many find this level frustrating, and are keen to get up the levels and play some "proper poker" But the fact is you have to do the donkey work and build up the discipline, bankroll and basic understanding that will stand you in good stead when you get there.

Not many jump straight into the deep end and survive.

It's a grind, but it's essential that you do it, and that you beat it. For your confidence as well as your bankroll.
    It feels good stacking people and being the best player at the table. And we can win lots of money here, which is great right.

So stop moaning about it, get on with it, put the hours in, and the sooner you beat it the sooner you can get outta there!!!

Summary

Always remember that the key to beating this level is to get value!

- Solid hand selection.

- Look at stack sizes before entering a pot.

- Always bet and raise big for value.

- Identify when your value hand turns into a marginal hand, and pot control accordingly.

- Look at board texture and opponent stack sizes throughout the hand

- Don't be afraid of losing your customer.

- Don't be a hero !!!!

- Solid play wins the money, you can get fancy and outplay donkeys like me,  when you get up to the higher micro stakes.

Hope this has helped some of you out, I enjoyed doing it. Will do something similar about using notes and reads at nl4, and how they can help with decision making in the marginal spots we sometimes get into.

But until then if you stick to the above, you wont go far wrong.

Run good.

(as always, all this is just my opinion, some people may disagree)
  • edited May 2011

Great post, now for nl30 ;)

• edited May 2011
    Can somebody summarise it for me please, i'm not reading all of that.

:)

Only joking, this is all excellent advice for NL4.
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 strategy from DOHHHHHH (v long):
    Can somebody summarise it for me please, i'm not reading all of that. :) Only joking, this is all excellent advice for NL4.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Bet Big !! lol

In Response to Re: NL4 strategy from DOHHHHHH (v long):
    Great post, now for nl30 ;)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

That's a secret ;)
  • edited May 2011
    Thats top stuff Dohhh cheers!!
  • edited May 2011
    oh and this made me pmsl

"None of this 3x + 1 per limper, just bash the raise button till you get a big number"

HAHA
  • edited May 2011
    Epic post. Truly epic.
  • edited May 2011
    oh and this made me pmsl "None of this 3x + 1 per limper, just bash the raise button till you get a big number" HAHA
    Posted by tapeworm
    i actually laughed at this as thats what i do now. Accidently raised 50p with one limper the other day because i thought, thats a big number that'll do. Amazingly i still got 4 callers, and missed the flop. Back to drawing board lol.

Although alot of what JJ says here is right.
  • edited May 2011
    edited sum of it, there shudnt be as many spelling mistakes or random words in the wrong places now! lol. I should really proof read before hitting post!

I'm hoping some nl4 players who have more experience than me will pull me up and question things that they disagree with.

• edited May 2011

One of the two best posts I've read in ANY poker forum.

Just wish I had the brain power to soak it all up in one go, I can see myself coming back to, and re-reading this post a thousand times over the coming months!!!

You're a proper person DOHHHHHH, thanks for the time and effort you've put in.

Cheers,

Z.

• edited May 2011
    any1 who follows this will make money at nl4 simples
  • edited May 2011
    good stuff dohh. There's some I disagree with very slightly, but that could well be cos never played 4NL. Great read for people looking to bust some leaks and get a solid basic strategy

Nice post, well done
  • edited May 2011
    big +1

great post.
  • edited May 2011
    Great post, excellent detail. ;)
  • edited May 2011
    Wow, that took a lot of time and effort Dohhhhhhh

Super post well done!

• edited May 2011
    Superb post.

Reminds me... gotta order a pizza and put on The Office S2 to watch during the scoff-fest ;-)
  • edited May 2011
    An exemplary piece of work - very well done indeed!
  • edited May 2011
    good stuff dohh. There's some I disagree with very slightly, but that could well be cos never played 4NL. Great read for people looking to bust some leaks and get a solid basic strategy Nice post, well done
    Posted by grantorino
    How can you disagree when you havent ever played nl4? put what it is and then maybe we can discuss
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 strategy from DOHHHHHH (v long) : How can you disagree when you havent ever played nl4? put what it is and then maybe we can discuss
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Why cant I disagree, its an opinion. Its a board I post my opinion on hands, I fully accept others may be better placed to comment and that I am not always right

I regret posting that I disagree with some of it (as it sounds like Im trying to take away from it, which was not my intention), and Im not posting what I disagree with because overall its an excellent post and a great resource for anyone trying to get their game together at microstakes. A long discussion about a few points that are prob very minor compared to the overall argument put forward by doh will not really help players who will gain the most from reading the strategy

I will add that if I posted something similar I would be shocked if anyone agreed with all of it

Apologies for my nitpicking though, I shouldnt have made my original post. I would appreciate if others dont comment on my posts and derail this thread.
  • edited May 2011
    Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic.

This deserves entry to Primo for a whole month IMO.

You should seriously consider boxing this and selling it!
  • edited May 2011

I hoped people would disagree with bits of it, that's kinda how it's supposed to work.

I didn't proof read it, and there was much more I planned to write about but it was just getting too long. I'll add to the thread soon and was hoping others, especially nl4 regs would add to it too. 

Having read it through since, there are bits I also feel are questionable,that "didn't come out right" and I've edited some of it. Should really have proof read it before posting it but didn't wanna time out, I know the forum does that sometimes.

Anyway I'm glad the feedback has been positive so far, thanx for all your comments. 

• edited May 2011
    One hand that I'm not too sure about is the QJ0 one, you call a 3x raise OOP, what would you say is the limit to this sort of play, what's the worst hands you will call raises with OOP and also does the raise size make a difference.

EDIT : 2nd bit irrelevent.
  • edited May 2011
    Excellent post dude. More than fit for a magazine.

Most altruistic of you to share it.

Question (for anyone) : At what level do you think it, in general, starts to become more like "proper poker"? Is it mostly a gradual process through the levels?

Other question (for anyone): Do you think it's better starting at NL4 regardless of BR? My latest drunken adventure took my BR up to £260 and I'm going to start taking cash seriously next week when my OU thing's done. I was thinking NL10 would be comfortable enough? Is there big differences between NL4 and NL10?
  • edited May 2011
    One hand that I'm not too sure about is the QJ0 one, you call a 3x raise OOP, what would you say is the limit to this sort of play, what's the worst hands you will call raises with OOP and also does the raise size make a difference. EDIT : 2nd bit irrelevent.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Yeh definitely. I spose with the JQ hand if it was anymore than 3x I would have just folded.

There was a hand previous that I defended the bb with KJ suited and won a 75xbb stack from a guy happy to get it in on a J high flop with TJ. 

I'm not really 100% sure about playing these kinda hands with reverse implied odds, TJ, TQ, TK, QJ, QK etc ............ I'd say if you're already quite confident/competent at nl4 level, then it's ok to use your experience/general poker sense to find good spots to play them, and avoid tricky spots to play them.........

Thinking again about stack size/opponent tendancies etc.....

But if you're just starting out and trying to grasp the basics you can just fold them no problem. 

It cost me 13p to get from the flop to the river with 8 outs to the nuts, and then he paid me double the pot when I got there, so there are definitely ways to make playing these kind of hands profitable. 

Just gotta be careful not to value town yourself and get attatched in marginal spots.

• edited May 2011
    Excellent post dude. More than fit for a magazine. Most altruistic of you to share it. Question (for anyone) : At what level do you think it, in general, starts to become more like "proper poker"? Is it mostly a gradual process through the levels? Other question (for anyone): Do you think it's better starting at NL4 regardless of BR? My latest drunken adventure took my BR up to £260 and I'm going to start taking cash seriously next week when my OU thing's done. I was thinking NL10 would be comfortable enough? Is there big differences between NL4 and NL10?
    Posted by bandini
    On sky I would say 20nl. The one level I haven't really played is 5/10p. I don't think I've ever played more than 4/5 mini sessions at that level in 18 months.....

What I will say though is once you start grinding at levels where it becomes more "poker-like" with meta-game, many tight players, nits, competent TAG's, you'll soon change your mind about preferring to play better players. 

The hour I had last night at nl4 was really refreshing, getting paid off so easily every single time, I wish it was like that all the time!!

Also higher up you can look at table selection, but I don't think theres much point table selecting at nl4 as there aren't enough solid players to make it worthwhile. I would look at stack sizes though, preferably find 5 stacks of 50xbb+.

----------

Again I'm not sure about 10nl compared to 4nl. but I'd imagine the players are much tighter, so you can play more hands, and be abit more aggressive.

Theres still loads of value in the games, and your strategy should still be based around playing good hands strongly and betting big for value, but you need to be more weary of your bet/raise sizing and stuff as some regs will be watching and be starting to pick up reads/notes on you.

Wouldn't rule out nl8 either, nl10 is prob v v nitty/reggy through the day. 

• edited May 2011
    great post Dohhhhhh

Most of it is spot on

Essentailly raise big with good hands -  ABC poker
    Don't bluff because they call -
    Always play for value and /or expected/implied value :s
    Also even at this level try not to play marginal hands OOP aggro, it's a headache

Top Tip: when you raise x5 BB with AA and get called in 3 spots - don't worry the guy with
    84o will outdraw you and he will stack you - remember in the long run you will win that money back and a lot more if you keep playing correctly :D

• edited May 2011
    Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic. This deserves entry to Primo for a whole month IMO. You should seriously consider boxing this and selling it!
    Posted by splashies
    Thanx m8.

My sharkscope graph is nose-diving badly enough as it is!!!!
  • edited May 2011
    I agree dohhh deserves a lil something for this. (will send a lil trophy for him from all NL4 players over twitter later)

One thing dohhh is somesone said youve called a raise with QT or QJ, ive not read properly, but unless im opening the pot on one of the tighter NL4 tables then QT and QJ is now out of my range. call me nit picking if you will.

Now to get dohhhh that trophy.

Edit: never takes long. http://twitpic.com/4z2cra
  • edited May 2011
    Just another question, you talk about having notes on some players that allow you to make quite wide calls. I'm starting to make rough notes on players mainly just to sort them into two groups - know how to play/ are awful fish, but do you have any specific details and on different players like certain hands or is that too much info to include ?
  • edited May 2011
    Amazing post, I don't play cash, but if I ever decide to start I'll come back and read all this properly.