You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Roller satelite thoughts

edited June 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ugh im so tilted did i play this right? i put on flush draw so thought i would shove and not give the odds? early on in sat 50 runners 5 get seats...
FLATCAPBIL Small blind  10.00 10.00 1870.00
offshoot Big blind  20.00 30.00 1670.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

rosjim1 Fold     
MAZ2006 Fold     
YOUNG_GUN Raise  60.00 90.00 1940.00
beaneh Fold     
FLATCAPBIL Fold     
offshoot Call  40.00 130.00 1630.00
Flop

• K

offshoot Check     
YOUNG_GUN Bet  95.00 225.00 1845.00
offshoot Raise  260.00 485.00 1370.00
YOUNG_GUN All-in  1845.00 2330.00 0.00
offshoot All-in  1370.00 3700.00 0.00
YOUNG_GUN Unmatched bet  310.00 3390.00 310.00
offshoot Show
  • A

YOUNG_GUN Show
  • K
  • J

Turn

• Q

River

offshoot Win Flush to the Ace 3390.00  3390.00

Comments

• edited June 2011
    heres stove's view so surely offshoot's standard call here but haved i overplayed my hand?

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt990 games 0.005 secs 198,000 games/secBoard: Ks 4s 7hDead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 51.111% 51.11% 00.00% 506 0.00 { KcJs }Hand 1: 48.889% 48.89% 00.00% 484 0.00 { As7s }
  • edited June 2011

i'd call the raise on the flop then jam the turn if it was a blank

ul tho m8

• edited June 2011
  • edited June 2011
    be more specific in my spot or offy's ty
  • edited June 2011
    i always thought offshoot was very TAG tbh. Certainly one of the better opponents you could be up against. In this spot, i probably fold to him. We only have TKGK against an opponent who IMO will NEVER call with worse.

Ul btw bud.

P.S. I now await offshoot comming and saying he will call with worse lol.
  • edited June 2011

Ul YG

In a satellite i like to keep pots v small early.

I would never rejam like you did, because, unless he has that precise hand (nfd with 1 pair) you are only getting called if you are crushed. I really dont think he would ever be stone cold bluffing here, he must have a fd, or a set usually.

I think i would flat the flop and if he leads the turn, i would fold. If he checks a non spade turn, i would stick a sizeable bet in and prob tid.

But as grantorino says, it may be just advisable to fold the flop vs a very strong opponant

• edited June 2011
    lets play a game tilt me more.. :(
  • edited June 2011
    He did call with worse ;)
  • edited June 2011
    offshoots play ia 100% standard

yours is dependent on how often you think offshoot bluffs. I would think his value raising range (inc semibluffs) has you beat, unless there is some strange dynamic
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Sky Roller satelite thoughts:
    He did call with worse ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yea in a tecnicallity. % wise hes about 50% isnt he?

2x 7 + 3x A + 9x spades = 14 outs.

14*4 = 56%

so he called with better :P  
  • edited June 2011
    he didnt donald! look at my second post that is pokerstove about as close to 50/50 you can get im 51%
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Sky Roller satelite thoughts : yea in a tecnicallity. % wise hes about 50% isnt he? 2x 7 + 3x A + 9x spades = 14 outs. 14*4 = 56% so he called with better :P  
    Posted by The_Don90
    heres stove's view so surely offshoot's standard call here but haved i overplayed my hand? 

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt990 games 0.005 secs 198,000 games/secBoard: Ks 4s 7hDead:equity win tie pots won pots tiedHand 0: 51.111% 51.11% 00.00% 506 0.00 { KcJs }Hand 1: 48.889% 48.89% 00.00% 484 0.00 { As7s }
  • edited June 2011
    he didnt donald! look at my second post that is pokerstove about as close to 50/50 you can get im 51%
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    didnt realise u had the J of spades sorry. so thats one less out. im still making him out in this hand to be 52%
  • edited June 2011
    hmmm don or pokerstove who do i believe? dumbo!!!
  • edited June 2011
    He is roughly 52% to improve by the river.

But he can improve by the river and still lose the hand.

For example the turn is a red ace and the river is a king.
  • edited June 2011
    hmmm don or pokerstove who do i believe? dumbo!!!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    ill pot this into an odds calculator which is better than me. And i trust more than pokerstove because it puts it hand v hand rather than against a range of hands.

Kc Js v As 7s on Ks 7h 4s flop.

KJ - 51.4

A7 - 48.6

Yeap ur right, however this is still effectivley AK v QQ imo.
  • edited June 2011
    He is roughly 52% to improve by the river. But he can improve by the river and still lose the hand. For example the turn is a red ace and the river is a king.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    cheers for clarifying this up JJ, thats where my %ages where going wrong.
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Sky Roller satelite thoughts : cheers for clarifying this up JJ, thats where my %ages where going wrong.
    Posted by The_Don90
    i put individual hands on pokerstove
  • edited June 2011
    you can put a range of 1 hand into pokerstove, lol
  • edited June 2011
    you can put a range of 1 hand into pokerstove, lol
    Posted by DeucesLive
    it just confuses me that software. online calculators with select cards and srag ftw. pmsl
  • edited June 2011
    100BB deep standard open raise from cut-off blinds 10/20 >60 fine

position on Big blind flop K47 two spades 130 pot ck you lead 95/>70 is fine

ck raise 260 8.25BB to flat in position />open shove 68.5BB Effective stacks don't like

Would flat in position pot control re evaluate on turn looking to get to showdown cheaply   
  • edited June 2011
    think your lucky he did not show you KQ,KA.

His call is standard and your jam is hoping he has a flush draw

Your jam is only getting called by a better hand or a flush draw, agree ?

I don't like the jam, maybe call and if no spade on turn then go for it
  • edited June 2011
    erm im lucky he didnt have AK KQ thats redic he re-raises them pre!

I reckon he stacks of Ax suited here so i think its ok, not fantastic obviously

I also dont mind shoving blank turn but what happens if Ace comes etc i prefer shove to put someone to a decision
  • edited June 2011
    erm im lucky he didnt have AK KQ thats redic he re-raises them pre! I reckon he stacks of Ax suited here so i think its ok, not fantastic obviously I also dont mind shoving blank turn but what happens if Ace comes etc i prefer shove to put someone to a decision
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You would think he would 3 bet pre but you just don't know he may mix it up this early
    Just saying the jam is only folding out worse hands, your only getting called by better hands or a flush draw. But is this not the way to go when there is FD on board ?
    Debatable, but I am sure you could find the fold this deep if a spade or ace hits
    Also is there a great need to go to war so early ?
    If you put him on FD then hey ho, all is good

But you gotta remember on the positive side your only 50/50 at best :s
    Everything else in his calling range is crushing you :s

Would you rarther go in further ahead this early ?

• edited June 2011
    You need to consider that AK, KQ, 44 and 77 are also possible holdings here, in which case he has you crushed. You've stoved his actual hole cards, but that's a results orientated calculation, you didn't have that information when you got it in.

I've just stoved it against this range, all possible holdings IMO;

AKo, KQo, KJo, KTo, AJss to A2ss, QTss, suited connecting spades from QJss to 45ss. (I've taken these hands out of his range on the assumption he would 3-bet pre-flop; AKss, AQss, KQss, AA, KK)

Against this range your equity drops to 41.7%.

Against a tighter range (AJss to A2ss, KTss, KQo, KJo, 44 and 77) you have 33.0%.

• edited June 2011
    I did consider that but i was confident he had flush draw, obviously he was slightly better of with a pair already and overcard

but also on the same note my hands not exactly been played face up and i think will fold out marginal hands possibly other kings?? i would make the same play if i had 2 pair/ set/ AK so he can only really call with the hand he has unless he has one of these imo. I think offshoot's play is pretty standard really but obviously there's 3 options for me fold if i think im behind, shove to take down majority of the time or get racing, or call and shove blank turn(best option in hindsight). That said vs offy who clearly will have an edge with me im happy to take a race vs flush draw, also if i get the double up then it allows me to be more aggro and will give me a better chance to finish in the top 5
  • edited June 2011
    how are you confident he has a flushdraw? Do you think he flats sets?

nfd is in ok shape any fd with 7s is in ok shape,oesd in ok shape, sets crush you. AK crushes you (doubt he flats pre)KQ crushes you( doubt he c/r with KQ, also he may 3bet pre but I wouldnt be so sure). He is never raise/folding any K there and I doubt he ever raises KT or worse. You never ever get him to fold any hand you want him to fold after this action, you have to be pretty sure he has an absolute pile of draws and maybe sometimes flats sets to make shoving good here imo
  • edited June 2011
    erm im lucky he didnt have AK KQ thats redic he re-raises them pre! I reckon he stacks of Ax suited here so i think its ok, not fantastic obviously I also dont mind shoving blank turn but what happens if Ace comes etc i prefer shove to put someone to a decision
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

Yeh he never flats pre with AK,AQ
  • edited June 2011
    how are you confident he has a flushdraw? Do you think he flats sets? nfd is in ok shape any fd with 7s is in ok shape,oesd in ok shape, sets crush you. AK crushes you (doubt he flats pre)KQ crushes you( doubt he c/r with KQ, also he may 3bet pre but I wouldnt be so sure). He is never raise/folding any K there and I doubt he ever raises KT or worse. You never ever get him to fold any hand you want him to fold after this action, you have to be pretty sure he has an absolute pile of draws and maybe sometimes flats sets to make shoving good here imo
    Posted by grantorino
    I kindly dis-agree, i dont think he never bluff re-raises in this spot? i think he can fold out similar hands maybe k10, KQ etc

I put him on nut flush draw, just instinct and the way the betting has gone really. no betting tells or anything like that
  • edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Sky Roller satelite thoughts : I kindly dis-agree, i dont think he never bluff re-raises in this spot? i think he can fold out similar hands maybe k10, KQ etc I put him on nut flush draw, just instinct and the way the betting has gone really. no betting tells or anything like that
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    offshoot can have pure bluffs sometimes, but I think its more likely to be a monster or a draw. I also dont know why you would shove against his pure bluffs

I think you can easily get into levelling yourself here. Unless you have good specific reads on offshoot I think its a pretty clear fold and move on