You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy

I hate anyone betting on the cash bubble of a DYM after the short stack is all in. It serves no purpose whatsoever and ettiquette states the hand is quietly checked down. Occassionaly you do see it happen and I just type in chat box - y?
Just had a pearler tonight where it happened twice in one game. The results are irrelevant but I thought i'd post them to listen to anyone elses thoughts.
The first one, I was all in and after the post flop bet i even typed in my usual -y?. Even tho a fold would protect my hand......

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Hale72 Small blind  150.00 150.00 1020.00
tpez Big blind  300.00 450.00 1170.00
  Your hole cards

SwansFC Call  300.00 750.00 7150.00
THEHITMAN7 Call  300.00 1050.00 1610.00
Hale72 All-in  1020.00 2070.00 0.00
tpez Fold     
SwansFC Call  870.00 2940.00 6280.00
THEHITMAN7 Call  870.00 3810.00 740.00
Flop

SwansFC Check     
THEHITMAN7 All-in  740.00 4550.00 0.00
SwansFC Call  740.00 5290.00 5540.00
Turn

• K

River

• K

Hale72 Show

SwansFC Muck
  • A

THEHITMAN7 Show

THEHITMAN7 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 10s 1480.00  1480.00
Hale72 Win Full House, 8s and Kings 3810.00  3810.00
SwansFC Small blind  200.00 200.00 5590.00
THEHITMAN7 Big blind  400.00 600.00 1530.00
  Your hole cards

Hale72 Fold     
tpez All-in  195.00 795.00 0.00
SwansFC Raise  600.00 1395.00 4990.00
THEHITMAN7 Fold     
Flop

• K

Turn

• Q

River

SwansFC Show
  • A
  • K

tpez Muck

SwansFC Win Pair of Kings 1395.00  6385.
The second was even more infuriating as the shortie had less than the small blind!!!

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Im exactly the same, there is no value in betting so i always question why they are being so stupid, most frustrating thing ever in double your money games.
  • edited October 2009
    I have just play in a DYM and the short stack was all in for 195. I called 300 with K 8 along with the other 2 players left. The flop came K 8 2 rainbow. I bet 900 and the other 2 folded. I won the hand with 2 pair.
    If I hit top 2 pair on the flop I am always betting. I apologise in the chatbox for betting and both others replied no problem, you took the hand.
    I don't see a problem with betting if you have the hand.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??:
    I have just play in a DYM and the short stack was all in for 195. I called 300 with K 8 along with the other 2 players left. The flop came K 8 2 rainbow. I bet 900 and the other 2 folded. I won the hand with 2 pair. If I hit top 2 pair on the flop I am always betting. I apologise in the chatbox for betting and both others replied no problem, you took the hand. I don't see a problem with betting if you have the hand.
    Posted by StarBobbie
    I cannot honestly understand that play. But I suppose it's your game and I need to respect that.
    Can you answer me this. What advantage did you have by betting? Were you going to win back your rake or something???
    2 pair is hardly the nuts is it? Why risk your opponents folding the winning hand and you getting rivered by the short stack who has just now quadrupled up.

If you were so short that the small stack quadrupling up would put you in trouble enough to warrant taking the side pot then it should have been an insta fold and hope someone else takes him out. Your stack is then intact and the small stack can only reach 585.

The idea of a DYM is exactly that. To finish third or better. On the bubble to cash, you did not need to win the hand. Just ensure the small stack lost it. By keeping your opponents in the pot you are maximising the chances that the small stack will go out.
  • edited October 2009
    Yea before you bet you need to have a reason to bet... you dont want anyone to fold, you run the risk of being knocked out yourself if a bigger stack has a set and takes you out but the short stack has the nuts, you are not betting for value because you do not need to accumulate chips... so pointless, hope you read this and see why it is pointless to bet, message me if you need clarification.
  • edited October 2009
    Many thanks for your replies to my post.
    I will certainly think again before betting on the bubble of a DYM game in future.
    In the game I mentioned, I was the 2nd shortest stack at the time but had over 2400 chips. I was on the button and betting did give the the extra 595 chips from the blinds. I was only thinking of my own stack at the time to win the game and not of the bigger picture. But as it has been pointed out, 3rd place is also a winner in these games.
    I do see my mistake and will not bet in the future on the bubble.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??:
    Many thanks for your replies to my post. I will certainly think again before betting on the bubble of a DYM game in future. In the game I mentioned, I was the 2nd shortest stack at the time but had over 2400 chips. I was on the button and betting did give the the extra 595 chips from the blinds. I was only thinking of my own stack at the time to win the game and not of the bigger picture. But as it has been pointed out, 3rd place is also a winner in these games. I do see my mistake and will not bet in the future on the bubble.
    Posted by StarBobbie
    Thank you for your frank and honest reply. There are very marginal occasions where betting is a viable option (for example when you are short stacked yourself and in the big blind so by taking the side pot but not necessarily the main pot keeps a decent gap between you and the shortie should he quadruple up., still risky and you then put yourself in real threat of finishing fourth) It is good to see the forum being used for its original intentions. i.e. members sharing experience and advice.
  • edited October 2009
    Two points on this really.

1) Checking it down has GOT to be the optimal play when on the cash bubble of a DYM. Anyone wants to protect their hand, etc is missing the point, which is that even if you've flopped a monster (2 pair, set, etc), if the other player makes a bigger hand than that it's probably beating the all-in hand anyway. Simple. 

If you're super short stacked then that might be the one exception to the rule, but even then if your hand is so bad that you need to try and get the other player out of the pot to give you any chance of winning the hand, is it really going to have great showdown value against the opponent? As normal, there are no hard and fast rules in poker, but I do think the chances of the 'non-checking' route being best are very limited.

2) Prompting while the hand is still in play is not cool. Yes, the Sky Poker chat might be modified to disable chat while a player is all in, etc, but the whole notion of someone SAYING check it down is not right. The players have all paid their money to play the event and if the other guy hasn't got a good enough grasp of basic DYM strategy (such as the above) why should players help him to the detriment of someone else's bankroll? It seems unfair to me and something I always think should be avoided through manners and respect for your fellow players. 

(Just to clarify: I am not trying to 'tick anyone off', just expressing my views on poker etiquette)
  • edited October 2009
    I never prompt during play. My usual response is a standard letter. Y. Only after the bet has been made and after I have folded. If I do feel the need to call a bet after the flop (very rarely, may I add.) I continue to remain quiet. I too do not agree with 'prompting' during a hand. Even if I am the all in and someone then bets and there is a fold I still put my usual -Y- in, even though the villain is effectively protecting my hand from multiple callers.

Also as I said in my earlier post, there is a very limited time to bet after an all in. But I stress, very limited. If the short stack quadrupling up at your expense puts you in danger then, in the first place you should not be in the pot, thus meaning the shortie can only triple up. This should keep distance between you and the shortie. Secondly, if you were unlucky enough to be in the blinds when this happens and there is a large enough side pot. then yes, O.K. but you then put yourself at the risk of elimination. So 99% of the time it is not worth it.

What most angers me, and yes, I have seen it is when there is a shortie all in and the big stack pushes all in post flop causing the remaining two to fold. I had this on one occassion where the big stack turned over jack high, a total bluff! The shortie then went on to quadruple up. Pointless and his exceptional poor play is ultimately affecting our bankroll and ROI.

I am also heavily in favour of having the chat automatically disabled when an all in. Having been on the receiving end of what is poor ettiquette recently when I pushed UTG (as short and the blinds would have eaten me up next 2 hands) and the big blind typed in 'help'. Totally wrong imo.
  • edited October 2009
    I also have no issues or qualms about betting side pots pre-bubble so to speak, nor in standard games where a higher finish produces higher prizes.

It is purely bubble play on DYM's that annoys me.

If this thread teaches just one person, (which it has) then its purpose has been fruitful.
  • edited October 2009
    What also angers me, but again its a personal play, is when a micro stack pushes (stack size one blind or less) why do relatively safe stacks fold leaving the big blind to take up the slack?

I'm never one to moan at folds, too much calling here at times anyway but its hardly gonna put that big a dent into your stack and even if he quadruples, he's still no real threat as he is likeley to be in the blinds next hand anyway as invariably they have pushed from UTG as they are in the bb next regardless.

2 3 is equally likely to take out the shortie as q 9.

So to sum up, too many people call when they shouldn't then fold when they should be calling.
  • edited October 2009
    Hale you have said everything that i feel on these matters, were we seperated at birth?
  • edited October 2009
    Hale you have said everything that i feel on these matters, were we seperated at birth?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Maybe, do you have webbed toes as well???????
  • edited October 2009
    Just a point in interest.
    This happened in a game I have just finished.

The small stack was just all in with about 1000 chips. (yes, he was the small stack.) The under the gun had already raised enough to put him all in. I called with queens. Yes, not perhaps the best move but I had both covered but hey using the rule 2 heads are better than one.....

low flop, turn and river. it went check, check, bet!

Couldnt believe it!! I had to call as I still had that overpair to the board.

Card turned over, All in had 8's The better had 7's and I had queens. No one had made any improvement. Had I not called the villian the 800 bet then the shortie would have tripled through putting all of us back in danger!!

After the hand I asked why he bet. There were overcards to his pair. Guess what, silence.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Hale

I always check down if there is a shortstack and a chance to knock the player out, but there have been 2 instances where I have bet, but only because I know I have the nuts and another player had deicided they wanted to bet, basicaly shortstack goes "All in" I call with AKh, 1 other caller, flop goes perfect, perfect, perfect Hearts nut flush, villain raises, I call, turn blank, villain bets, I call, river blank, villain raises, I go "All in" Villain calls, I knock out 2 instead of 1, have done this only twice, but each time removed 2 players.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Hale I always check down if there is a shortstack and a chance to knock the player out, but there have been 2 instances where I have bet, but only because I know I have the nuts and another player had deicided they wanted to bet, basicaly shortstack goes "All in" I call with AKh, 1 other caller, flop goes perfect, perfect, perfect Hearts nut flush, villain raises, I call, turn blank, villain bets, I call, river blank, villain raises, I go "All in" Villain calls, I knock out 2 instead of 1, have done this only twice, but each time removed 2 players.
    Posted by acebarry10
    Very understandable play Barry, you did the gentlemanly thing by checking first. If a villain wants to the put pressure on you by betting a flop in instances like this then I have no problems with you putting him all in and knocking him out. It's just a shame you didnt come second in the hand to the all in and as such the villain would end up fouth and not cashing because of insane bubble betting.

If that happened more often then this practise would soon stop.
  • edited October 2009
    Only bet if you have nuts or near to it. You would have to be stupid to bet otherwise because 2 players are more likely to knock out a player then one. Unless I have or flop a monster eg top set or I turn straight im checking all day. Its basic tournament strategy.
  • edited October 2009
    Only bet if you have nuts or near to it. You would have to be stupid to bet otherwise because 2 players are more likely to knock out a player then one. Unless I have or flop a monster eg top set or I turn straight im checking all day. Its basic tournament strategy.
    Posted by dunn80
    Nuts, maybe, near to it, never. Sometimes near to it isn't close enough. What also is the nuts after the flop is not necessarily the nuts at the river. Should you have the absolute nuts on the river, then by all means throw a bet out. At worst you are splitting with the all in and should that occurance happen then the extra few chips may come in handy.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : I cannot honestly understand that play. But I suppose it's your game and I need to respect that. Can you answer me this. What advantage did you have by betting? Were you going to win back your rake or something??? 2 pair is hardly the nuts is it? Why risk your opponents folding the winning hand and you getting rivered by the short stack who has just now quadrupled up. If you were so short that the small stack quadrupling up would put you in trouble enough to warrant taking the side pot then it should have been an insta fold and hope someone else takes him out. Your stack is then intact and the small stack can only reach 585. The idea of a DYM is exactly that. To finish third or better. On the bubble to cash, you did not need to win the hand. Just ensure the small stack lost it. By keeping your opponents in the pot you are maximising the chances that the small stack will go out.
    Posted by Hale72

I am in fully agreement of this Post Hale.

I often get frustrated when an opponent is all in, for example i had K,Q a hand which is a reasonable call if its against a much smaller stack, say two people call and flop comes J,3,4 and one opponent bets taking the other two of us out with nothing.

Admittedly i dont mind it so much if they win, but im all for checking down an all in opponent/.
  • edited October 2009
    I have been pretty forthright in my view that it is NEVER right to bet to get people out of a pot when a short-stack is all-in on the bubble of a satellite or DYM.
    However, I played in a DYM game tonight where I am still not sure if the right play was made.

Here is the hand:
    **SB** Small blind   400.00 400.00 7680.00
    **BB** Big blind   800.00 1200.00 360.00
      Your hole cards

**UTG** All-in   960.00 2160.00 0.00
    MereNovice Fold        
    **SB** Call   560.00 2720.00 7120.00
    **BB**
    Call   160.00 2880.00 200.00
    Flop

**SB** Bet   800.00 3680.00 6320.00
    **BB**
    Fold        
    Turn

River

**SB** Show
    • Q
    • J

**UTG** Show
    • A
    • J

**UTG** Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 2880.00   2880.00
    **SB** Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 800.00   7120.00
    The game was played in great spirit and there was no malice or dubious practice involved in the flop bet - it was done purely for tactical reasons. What do people think?

The issues for me are:

1. The SB doesn't have a hand but he knows that if the BB folds, then the BB will be completely down to the felt (200 chips which won't make up the 400 SB next hand).
    2. The SB is losing the chance that a completely random BB hand will knock out the UTG player. If the BB wins the hand the game is over. If the hand is checked down and the UTG player wins, then the BB is still down to 200. If the BB calls and the SB beats the BB the game is over.
    3. The blinds are extremely high and the SB is the only player with any sort of stack.

At the time, I was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!" (not purely from self-interest!) but I'm really not sure now.
    Opinion at the table was divided. On reflection, I still don't like the bet.

Any thoughts?
  • edited October 2009
    Vince, still smarting over it. You didn't need to remove my name, I am happy to discuss.

I only had to make up 160 chips but as I had 800 already invested I had no choice as either way, I could not cover the SB next hand. My hand was not spectacular but hey, 2 heads are better than one and I was not losing out, as like I say, regardless I could not make the next blind.

I fully expected to see check, check, check. But unfortunately I found myself on the end of a bet.

Either way, I had no hand at this point so had to fold. And yes, by checking it down, even if I lost, I was no threat to the table as I had less than a SB. If I won, the game was over and we all cashed.

Yes I folded and I held a 7 which would have put the shortie out and we all would have cashed.

As a result, I ended up 4th. Although the game carried on for quite some time afterwards.

Perhaps the perpatrator would like to refund me my £11.00!!!!!!!!!

Come on, you know who you are, betting a dry side pot on the cash bubble. You have posted on the forum VERY recently how this is bad play and not honourable.

I have never played him before but know who this player is and found it very strange, perhaps it needs analasys on the open this saturday night.

I would certainly like it thoroughly discusssed by the team for their in depth thoughts as to whether a complete bluff was the right way to go.

An expert could shine serious insight on this.
  • edited October 2009
    For anyone doubting the fact, I did have the seven.
    villain Small blind  400.00 400.00 7680.00
    Hale72 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 360.00
      Your hole cards

shortieAll-in  960.00 2160.00 0.00
    MereNovice Fold     
    villainCall  560.00 2720.00 7120.00
    Hale72 Call  160.00 2880.00 200.00
    Flop

villainBet  800.00 3680.00 6320.00
    Hale72Fold     
    Turn

River

villainShow
    • Q
    • J

shortie Show
    • A
    • J

not so shortie Win Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 2880.00  2880.00
    still villainWin Two Pairs, 6s and 2s 800.00  7120.00
    The defence rests it's case

By the way, before I get banned, This was a lol post.

Although, I would still like my money back!!!!
  • edited October 2009

Err.....I have a horrible feeling I may have been the Villain in one of these coups......

Can you enlighten me? Then I can make my excuses.
  • edited October 2009
    Was it you Tikay??????

I forgot the names after I took them out!!!!

An explanation would be nice.... LOL
  • edited October 2009
    Err.....I have a horrible feeling I may have been the Villain in one of these coups...... Can you enlighten me? Then I can make my excuses.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Any thoughts that you have on the play of "**SB**" in my post would be most illuminating.
  • edited October 2009
    Was it you Tikay?????? I forgot the names after I took them out!!!! An explanation would be nice.... LOL
    Posted by Hale72
    Honest to God, Hale, I can't remember.

I play so much poker, I tend to forget what I did, when. But I do know my sides were aching with laughter at the Chat-Box banter throughout those DYM's last night.

If I played bad, my bad, & I apologise.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : Any thoughts that you have on the play of "**SB**" in my post would be most illuminating.
    Posted by MereNovice
    You'll need to remind me, so I can try & reconstruct my thought process Viince. Was I the SB?
  • edited October 2009

There was another wholly different "odd" hand last night, when we were 4 handed. And that one was, I thought, very interesting.

With 4 left, the Shortie shoved, then I, as 2nd chip, re-shoved with Q-Q - & then the player behind me re-re-shoved - with A-A.

Can anyone Post the Hand History for that one?
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : You'll need to remind me, so I can try & reconstruct my thought process Viince. Was I the SB?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes, Tikay You were.

Still stinging....

• edited October 2009

hi mere, personally i never play dym's on here or let alone any other site... the reason being as already mentioned... the majority of people dont truly understand the concept of a dym in comparison to a mtt (unless u play regulars).. they just want to accumalate chips which ever way they can and ... and do not see it as a top 3 finish but as a let me get me another 4 league points added to my account! checking down whats that????? lol;-)) good luck tho....

• edited October 2009
    There was another wholly different "odd" hand last night, when we were 4 handed. And that one was, I thought, very interesting. With 4 left, the Shortie shoved, then I, as 2nd chip, re-shoved with Q-Q - & then the player behind me re-re-shoved - with A-A. Can anyone Post the Hand History for that one?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't recall that hand last night, but i did miss a few laughing and gossiping