You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009

Hi Vince,

I'm trying to recall the meta-game side of things - that's key - but I think my thought process was this.

There are 4 players left. I have 8,000 of the 12,000 chips in play. So the other 3 players have an average stack of 1,333 each. Blinds are 400-800. Two players are VERY short.

Now, please bear with me here.......

1) I have not played DYM's for a while, but I play a lot of Tourneys a - a LOT - Live & Online, & have done for nearly 15 years now. So I play on Auto-Pilot. Leaving aside for a moment that this was a DYM, my play here, in a Normal (non DYM) Tourney, would be totally standard, & correct. I have 67% of the Chips, I'm gonna bully bully bully. In a DYM, of course, it plays different - I accept, & agree, & fully understand DYM dynamics, & if I'm playing £50 & £100 DYM's, as I used to, I know how many beans make five. I was, perhaps, not treating last night's game seriously enough, it was just a bunch of pals having a great time. If I played sub-optimally, I'm sorry if it affected anyone else adversely. I am.

However......

2) In Blackjack, which, many years ago, I used to play a lot (oh, the shame), players sometimes complain about the guy who sits in last position, taking, or not taking, cards. That guy was usually me, it was my preferred Seat. And I used to tell those who complained, "look mate, if you bankroll me, & I'll play your way, but until you do, I'll play MY way, with MY money". And it's the same in a DYM really. If I have 67% of the Chips, & the other three have an average of 1.5 BB each, I don't have a responsibility to any particular one of them, be they the Shortie, or the Biggie. I'm only concerned with battering the table until I have busted someone. I really don't care who it is, or discriminate between any of them.

So yes, I probz played it wrong, & I am sorry if it caused someone to bust out. But I had slipped into regular Tourney Mindset, & really, poker is not a Team Game, & I was just playing it as I saw fit. I'm the first to apologise to anyone who I wrong, & I try to win & lose with dignity. But, in the end, if we pay our Entry Fee, we are responsible to only one person - ourself.

So I don't feel bad about it. And I do feel bad about it.

Go figure!
  • edited October 2009
    I accept Tikay, It was late and the laughs we had certainly more than made up for it.

Just pulling your chain a bit.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    As you say, it was a social game, late at night, and we don't all play optimally all of the time. Some of us would be happy to be able to play optimally some of the time. :-)
    Also, I've had rather longer than your allocated 15 seconds to reflect on the play.
    In your "defence", there was at least one player railing the table who supported your move.

I don't recall the QQ/AA hand - sorry.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??:
    I accept Tikay, It was late and the laughs we had certainly more than made up for it. Just pulling your chain a bit.
    Posted by Hale72
    Sigh, behave.

Any more for any more tonight? I was 3 from 3 last night, happy days.

And that Lisa will look like a piece of fried fish when I'm done with her. I'm gonna batter her.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting??:
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : Sigh, behave. Any more for any more tonight? I was 3 from 3 last night, happy days. And that Lisa will look like a piece of fried fish when I'm done with her. I'm gonna batter her.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry, evening games for me are very few and far between.

Will look for you nxt time I get an evening off though.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : Sigh, behave. Any more for any more tonight? I was 3 from 3 last night, happy days. And that Lisa will look like a piece of fried fish when I'm done with her. I'm gonna batter her.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Behave.
    There's only a limited number of times that you can suck-out with 34 against her K4 when down to the felt on the bubble.
    I'm game for a few more lessons if I can find the tables.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM cash bubble with a short stack all in - how wrong is betting?? : Behave. There's only a limited number of times that you can suck-out with 34 against her K4 when down to the felt on the bubble. I'm game for a few more lessons if I can find the tables.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Lol, how lucky was I, there?

I had to push, I would have bet my house that my cards (3-4) would be live. When you turned over K-4, I thought "fml".

Then......

Bink!
  • edited October 2009

But yes, I'm game for some more DYM's after the Tourneys are over. You'll be waiting quite a while for me though. ;)
  • edited October 2009
    But yes, I'm game for some more DYM's after the Tourneys are over. You'll be waiting quite a while for me though. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'll see you at 7:35pm then.