You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do you do in this spot and why?

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic

hardman07 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £69.81
essentia12 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £61.32
Jibbz Sit out     
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

honestdave Call  £0.50 £1.25 £16.35
genie444 Call  £0.50 £1.75 £25.43
AyrGraeme Raise  £2.50 £4.25 £47.50
hardman07 Fold     
essentia12 Call  £2.00 £6.25 £59.32
honestdave Call  £2.00 £8.25 £14.35
genie444 Call  £2.00 £10.25 £23.43
Flop

• K

essentia12 Check     
honestdave Check     
genie444 Check     
AyrGraeme

Comments

• edited July 2011
    With them players in the pot against me obv bet, about £6-8, then lol as one of the fishs shoves worse kings or even pp's
  • edited July 2011
    Bet about £7 and snap any all-in.
  • edited July 2011

b/c or value. Im trying to think if I ever b/f here but probably not.

• edited July 2011

I think it's a check all day long for the following reasons:

1.  Either way ahead or way behind

2.  Control the pot v anyone with 5

3.  I think I can only get 2 streets of value v KJ K/10 K/9 and more likely to get the 2 streets if you show weakness on the first (and you only need 2 streets anyway to get all the chips off the shorter stacks)

4.  I can prob only get one street of value v pp and possibly 2 if I show weakness

5.  I lets rag hands catch up a bit and very few rag hands are going to catch up and beat me on that board.  2 pair hands can't catch me excpet the Kx hands where x is 6+ and they are likely to call anyway on flop.  The only risks are runner runner hands for straights flushes or a pp spiking the house with 2 outer

6.  The potential profits letting someone catch up is +EV compared to potential losses being runner runnered

The reasons given so far I see no reason not to leave it to the turn and get the same outcome. 

• edited July 2011
    1. Is not always a reason to check

2. meh, maybe, certainly wouldnt be my biggest concern

3. possibly, depends on villain and dynamic. If they are limpcalling these hands you might well get 3 streets, and I think if you lead you nearly always get 2 streets from Kx

4. Probably true. However if you check you might miss value if a bigger card comes

5,6 are true

There is certainly merit to checking, especially ip when 2 of villains are shorty limpcallers.  I like it a lot less in a hu pot, as I find people love to spew on these boards, and they are more likely to do it on flop. Also the shorties may shove stuff like 77 if you bet flop
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why?:
    Bet about £7 and snap any all-in.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    This is what i would do, + LOL if they have A5suited
  • edited July 2011
    Pot is big enough to win compared to your stack.
    Think a check here is just asking to be outdrawn by anyone of these rag aces )
    If someone has come along with a 5 then whatever

You still may get a lot of value from a KQ - BET BET BET )
  • edited July 2011

1. Is not always a reason to check 2. meh, maybe, certainly wouldnt be my biggest concern 3. possibly, depends on villain and dynamic. If they are limpcalling these hands you might well get 3 streets, and I think if you lead you nearly always get 2 streets from Kx 4. Probably true. However if you check you might miss value if a bigger card comes 5,6 are true There is certainly merit to checking, especially ip when 2 of villains are shorty limpcallers.  I like it a lot less in a hu pot, as I find people love to spew on these boards, and they are more likely to do it on flop. Also the shorties may shove stuff like 77 if you bet flop
    Posted by grantorino
    1. Agreed - but points 5 + 6 lean me towards saying it is on this occasion

2.  It's not a concern I'm calling any turn and river bets

3.  I can still get 2 streets the only way I want 3 streets is if the bigger stak has the KQ KJ K10.  Possibly but not probable. 

4.  I agree with this but there are more smaller cards so I am playing the % and fair chance you can still get one street of value if something like a 10 falls

If the shorties are going to shove 77 on flop they will also and possible more likely shove on turn

Thanks for the post some very good points

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : This is what i would do, + LOL if they have A5suited
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Why do it on the flop and not the turn though?
  • edited July 2011
    Pot is big enough to win compared to your stack. Think a check here is just asking to be outdrawn by anyone of these rag aces ) If someone has come along with a 5 then whatever You still may get a lot of value from a KQ - BET BET BET )
    Posted by rancid
    I don't want to win the pot I am thinking how to extract value.
    Can't be outdrawn by a rag ace bud - check my hole cards again
    I can still get all the chips from KQ form 2 out the 3 players by checking.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : I don't want to win the pot I am thinking how to extract value. Can't be outdrawn by a rag ace bud - check my hole cards again I can still get all the chips from KQ form 2 out the 3 players by checking.
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    my bad you have AK :0

If you bet - Kings will call
    If you check - Kings will bet, underpairs may bet

I guess either is ok, but I am just betting here thinking I can easily get value from another player who is holding a K or underpair if there pre action is so dam STATION !

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : my bad you have AK :0 If you bet - Kings will call If you check - Kings will bet, underpairs may bet I guess either is ok, but I am just betting here thinking I can easily get value from another player who is holding a K or underpair if there pre action is so dam STATION !
    Posted by rancid
    :) no probs.

Good post
  • edited July 2011
    carefull  nailed on one off them got the five
  • edited July 2011

what dudeskin said!

its a b/ call off for me, vs two shorties anyway

• edited July 2011
    what dudeskin said! its a b/ call off for me, vs two shorties anyway
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    As I've said to all these replies what are the advantages of doing this on the flop that you don't get from waiting until the turn?
  • edited July 2011
    My response is from a NL4 player mate, as in you danny bet you danny win lolz. Maybe higher up you can start playing cute and that.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : As I've said to all these replies what are the advantages of doing this on the flop that you don't get from waiting until the turn?
    Posted by AyrGraeme
    If you dont bet the flop you are losing value from hands that you are beating that will call the flop but will fold the turn.  for example other pocket pairs. You are also giving three players a free card that could out draw you. Also a c-bet is expected when they all check so they might think its a bluff and are more likely to call you with hands that you crush. 

Im not saying i wont ever check this board, because sometimes i might. But vs poor players im always betting.

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : If you dont bet the flop you are losing value from hands that you are beating that will call the flop but will fold the turn.  for example other pocket pairs. You are also giving three players a free card that could out draw you. Also a c-bet is expected when they all check so they might think its a bluff and are more likely to call you with hands that you crush.  Im not saying i wont ever check this board, because sometimes i might. But vs poor players im always betting.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Can't be worrying about runner runner outdraws.  I think most hands that call a flop bet also call a turn bet - and letting the turn come is fairly safe on this board and lets a few rags catch up
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : Can't be worrying about runner runner outdraws.  I think most hands that call a flop bet also call a turn bet - and letting the turn come is fairly safe on this board and lets a few rags catch up
    Posted by AyrGraeme[/QUOTE

You are giving pocket pairs a chance to house up on the turn and anyone with a king with a kicker above a "5" to catch 2 pair for free!

So it dont need to be runner runner.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? :
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : Can't be worrying about runner runner outdraws.  I think most hands that call a flop bet also call a turn bet - and letting the turn come is fairly safe on this board and lets a few rags catch up Posted by AyrGraeme[/QUOTE You are giving pocket pairs a chance to house up on the turn and anyone with a king with a kicker above a "5" to catch 2 pair for free! So it dont need to be runner runner.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Drill em for chips/money, stations should always be charged
    Passive station will always give you some
    By betting the flop you have a better way of making sure you get all there monies by the river
    Personally I am only checking here v aggro players who I know can not resist having a go if checked to

ps. I have this strange gold star on the right of my posts, any ideas ?
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : Can't be worrying about runner runner outdraws.  I think most hands that call a flop bet also call a turn bet - and letting the turn come is fairly safe on this board and lets a few rags catch up Posted by AyrGraeme[/QUOTE You are giving pocket pairs a chance to house up on the turn and anyone with a king with a kicker above a "5" to catch 2 pair for free! So it dont need to be runner runner.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Seriously, you want to protect from 2/3 outers? We can bet for value against them, because I'd imagine a lot of them call, but betting to protect your hand makes no sense to me. They also have a huge range of 0 outers which we usually make more money against by checking. I think I still like betting flop, but its certainly not just in case someone hits a 2 outer
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : If you dont bet the flop you are losing value from hands that you are beating that will call the flop but will fold the turn.  for example other pocket pairs. You are also giving three players a free card that could out draw you. Also a c-bet is expected when they all check so they might think its a bluff and are more likely to call you with hands that you crush.  Im not saying i wont ever check this board, because sometimes i might. But vs poor players im always betting.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Mr Torino, as per my earlier post. I AM betting for value!

But by betting for value we are also charging people to hit their 2 outers
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: What do you do in this spot and why? : Seriously, you want to protect from 2/3 outers? We can bet for value against them, because I'd imagine a lot of them call, but betting to protect your hand makes no sense to me. They also have a huge range of 0 outers which we usually make more money against by checking. I think I still like betting flop, but its certainly not just in case someone hits a 2 outer
    Posted by grantorino

Good post mate - you are still the only one to say they would bet the flop that I see making a reasonable argument from both points of view
  • edited July 2011

The reason I posted this is because I like to provide alternative points of view to the cliches which are trotted out regularly when giving advice.  Things like do the betting - raise more - normally things which involve putting chips in the pot - personally I think it's a macho, ego type thing.

Now I am not saying check with top pair v 3 opponents - generally not a clever strategy.  But it's about risk reward - and varying play.  Anyone out there who does not have the cahoonies to check top pair in this situation, I believe never will.  Very few hands can catch up on the turn except the KJ type hands mentioned by Greg who will call the flop anyway and catch the card regardless of bet or check.  If you are going to play poker paranoid about 2 outers catching then you aint gonna profit.

I still maintain checking here has greater +EV than betting the reason being a lot more hands can catch up on the turn and still be behind than can catch up and go ahead - anyone else with a K still has 2 streets of betting for me to get value off

• edited July 2011

Anyway here is the turn anyone who dislikes my flop play will positively hate this.  I will happily accept the point of view for charging draws - 2 diamonds and 6/7 are now a danger but he could also be feeler cos he hit the 4 or stop betting his pocket 6s or 7s.  I got a bit greedy and thought reraising the turn after checking the flop would chase away anything other than someone with 5 in their hand.  One player had already folded and it was risky with the guy behind but the guy betting had about 3/4 the pot left and I knew I could bet the river sensible amount if needed to put him in but I actually had a feeling he would shove the river anyway with a draw if I showed weakness - whether it hit or missed.  Since he will hit only 1 in 5 chance of winning whether it is a flush or open ended draw the odds are in my favour.  The gut still to act is a bit of a worry with his stack and I know you don't want to give him a cheap card but again a calculated risk on my feel for the situation.  Again there are also still plenty hands he might call with like pp or even A high but knowing he acted 1st after river would help.  Turns out he folded anyway.

So in short I wanted to keep the bettor in till the river and I am putting him all in if he does not do so himself (at this point I thought he might) and I feel a reraise at this point gets rid of him.  If he has hit the 4 or has a pp then I think he puts me on something like A/10 or A/J by calling and will think his hand is good.  If he has a draw I am still 80% favourite.  If he has the 5 he stacks me anyway.

It was a ballsy play I know, some might say stupid but hey ho.  Discuss.......................

hardman07 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £69.81
    essentia12 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £61.32
    Jibbz Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

honestdave Call  £0.50 £1.25 £16.35
    genie444 Call  £0.50 £1.75 £25.43
    AyrGraeme Raise  £2.50 £4.25 £47.50
    hardman07 Fold     
    essentia12 Call  £2.00 £6.25 £59.32
    honestdave Call  £2.00 £8.25 £14.35
    genie444 Call  £2.00 £10.25 £23.43
    Flop

• K

essentia12 Check     
    honestdave Check     
    genie444 Check     
    AyrGraeme Check     
    Turn

essentia12 Check     
    honestdave Bet  £3.00 £13.25 £11.35
    genie444 Fold     
    AyrGraeme Call  £3.00 £16.25 £44.50
    essentia12 Fold
  • edited July 2011
    Your prob looking at PP's here maybe one came along with for value and could hold the 5 but get your reads early. It's 4 way c bet it doesn't have to be alot, just over half pot then re evaluate the turn. If you get raised on the flop its a flat call to the deep stack shove to the small stacks unless there already all in.
    It's a horrible spot 4 way but one you should be ahead in against decent players.
    If you hit the turn heads up bet out again if your three way control the pot if your 4 way its a fold
  • edited July 2011
    Anyway here is the turn anyone who dislikes my flop play will positively hate this

Pad pulls up a chair....lol!

GREAT post Graeme! I'm fairly new and try to read ALL the clinic and there has been some great analysis - (GT rocks btw!)
    For what it's worth and for no other reason than it's how I would've played it...I'd have bet £7/8 quid on flop!

AND I'm deffo all-in to a bet on turn!!
    Pad
  • edited July 2011
    i prefer betting flop ~£3 or so rather than checking behind. after checking back and him leading the turn with the stacksizes as they are i think calling is definately the best option
  • edited July 2011
    Anyway here is the turn anyone who dislikes my flop play will positively hate this .  Pad pulls up a chair....lol! GREAT post Graeme! I'm fairly new and try to read ALL the clinic and there has been some great analysis - (GT rocks btw!) For what it's worth and for no other reason than it's how I would've played it...I'd have bet £7/8 quid on flop! AND I'm deffo all-in to a bet on turn!! Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    ty bud input appreciated - i just like to go against the normal advice you get occasionally - don't get me wrong most of it is correct like play aggressive - put pressure on your opponent - most of the time right thing to do i am not denying it and you can be and many are successful cash players on here by playing that way and if you ever do anything differently you get shot down.  Normally this is because these players are used to telling passive players to be more aggressive and its normally good advice - but I think some of them give this advice so much it just becomes automatic to say bet bet bet all the time rather than look at each situation individually.

It's a bit like coaching amateur footballers or even semi and low level pros - coach your defenders to kick and head it away, coach your midfielders to play the easy pass, coach your forwards to batter the ball at goal from 18 yds in - its the simple % way to play and will work at these levels if you have players who do the simple things well. But you wouldn't tell Lionel Messi not to use his flair and play a flick pass no one else could see or not to try chip an advancing keeper 1 on 1 - because he is at another level.

Now I aint claiming to be the poker equivalent to Messi - I'm far from it and there are better players on here than me but I do think some people are too automatic with their advice.

In this we have a fairly rare scenario in that nobody could outdraw me with trips or flush or straight or a higher pair on the turn and much fewer 2 pair spiking hands are there than normal so that was why i checked.  Not many boards bring that scenario so i thought perfect chance to go against the normal way of playing as well as reasons 1-6 in my earlier post