You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

J10s on btn after limps

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Well I know I'm tight, like super tight but should I be playing this hand and what is best way to do it ?
bango Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.01
Poker__Boy Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.63
  Your hole cards
  • J

_lofty_ Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.60
MacLik Call   £0.04 £0.14 £3.70
olliepokr1 Fold        
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited July 2011

i raise 28p maybe more depending on the table dynamics

edit- ^^^ misread i would limp in at this level

• edited July 2011
    i think 20p is sufficiently high raise so can get away from it if one of them shoves

• edited July 2011
    I'm limping at 4nl if I'm multi tabling loads, 7+

If I'm playing 3/4 I can make it 30p or limp, either is fine.

If I'm 1 tabling, I'm making it 30p everytime.

• edited July 2011
    oops misread by me i'd limp in not raise!

thought you had JJ my bad
  • edited July 2011
    So with no limpers it would be a raise 100% (and from any position) ? Also how low suited connectors would be profitable raising with at NL4, 89/910 or even lower ?
  • edited July 2011
    I'd prob open raise CO or button not any unopened with J10 suited, if limpers in front i limp too at nl4
  • edited July 2011
    limping sounds fine in that situation.

As regards when to open it I wouldnt always open it in early position, depends on the table
  • edited July 2011
    Whether to limp or raise this is dependant on what you have seen UTG limp with from UTG. If you have seen him limp KQo utg then err on the side of limping yourself. However if you have seen him limp with any2 then I plop this up because your not just hoping for a Jack or a Ten you will be representing any Ace or King high boardand more often than not taking the pot down. 

With regards to low SC's it's really table dynamics that matter when deciding what ones to open with. If there are a couple of shorties at the table I would probably only go as low as 9Ts because against shorties (who tend to play very badly and try get it in every possibly oportunity) your better trying to hit top pair rather than straights and flushes. Substitute your suited conenctirs with QJo, KJo, A9o from early position. If the table is Tight then you can start opening with 56s+ even from early.  
  • edited July 2011
    I raise nearly every time, its a hand that can have a lot of post flop value, we are otb= raise.

• edited July 2011
    I will play this hand everytime and as dohh said if ure multi- ing nowt wrong with a limp here but i suppose a raise makes ure hand look stronger , i defo play this hand the same way at nl8 and nl10 as well , these hands have a habit of flopping very well and even if you raise and get callers dependant on the play on the flop you can still get off the hand if ure unsure without too much damage to ure stack , over time tho ive found this style of hand very profitable xx
  • edited July 2011
        it all depends how the table is playing ,if its passive and they are folding to a decent raise 20p 24p 28 p,then raise it big ,,,,if its a loose table with limp callers ,i would try and build the pot ,say 12p 16p ,and re assess on the flop . ,,,a loose table with limp callers ,this kind of hand is perfect for multi way action,,and can take down a huge pot         which ever way you look at it ,im not flatting here ,its a must raise situation for me :)        all depends on how the table is playing as to what size raise to put in .but im definitely raising .TEN
  • edited July 2011
    it doesnt flop that well often. It also has issues in that when you flop pairs you may be dominated (I know none of you are falling in love with top pair here), when you flop straight draws others often flop well. Not saying dont play it, I think its a tricky hand to play at times though, especially v stations 
  • edited July 2011
    That's one of my main concerns really grantorino.

With high cards AK/Q/J/10 KQ/J even QJ when I flop TP I'm more confident of betting for value down the streets but with J10 possibly 910 if I flop TP I could just be betting my stack away against someone who out kicks me. Yes there are straight draws but how often do you flop them and also you don't hit them very often so the majority of the time I'll be cbetting and even when I normally have to I don't really like it as getting players to fold ANY pair is murder down here so I often bet flop and slow down on turn if don't hit and then have to bloody check river handing pot over to station who canny fold a pair.

I admit I've added QJ to my opening range of late but I might wait till I move up till I start playing more wild.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps:
    That's one of my main concerns really grantorino. With high cards AK/Q/J/10 KQ/J even QJ when I flop TP I'm more confident of betting for value down the streets but with J10 possibly 910 if I flop TP I could just be betting my stack away against someone who out kicks me. Yes there are straight draws but how often do you flop them and also you don't hit them very often so the majority of the time I'll be cbetting and even when I normally have to I don't really like it as getting players to fold ANY pair is murder down here so I often bet flop and slow down on turn if don't hit and then have to bloody check river handing pot over to station who canny fold a pair. I admit I've added QJ to my opening range of late but I might wait till I move up till I start playing more wild.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    How close to moving up a level are you? Getting out of NL4 is prob the hardest.

I tried and got bored of playing for 4-5 Hours 6+ tables and winning like £20. So i deposited £400 and found
    NL10 so much easier to win at. People make the same plays just for more money =)
  • edited July 2011
    Very interesting points here from regs at diff levels , gd thread started here dude it shows diff players thinking on playing this type of hand and i suppose it is all about other players style of play xx
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : How close to moving up a level are you? Getting out of NL4 is prob the hardest. I tried and got bored of playing for 4-5 Hours 6+ tables and winning like £20. So i deposited £400 and found NL10 so much easier to win at. People make the same plays just for more money =)
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Well I'm up to £143.54 now and playing towards the 1000 points which is £15 but with 25% extra (I got some email on it lol) it's £18.75 add to £143.54 = £162.29 which gives me 20 BI's at NL8 which should be enough. Of course I've still got 3190 hands to complete before I get the bonus so it could all crumble down although I'm a glass half full sort of guy so could get to £160 without bonus. ;)

I admit NL4 is tough but only when people outdraw you which sucks but will happen so bloody deal with it, what I find WAY more frustating is when bad play means I lose this affects me much more.

Also don't worry I know how easy NL10 is, jeez even NL30 looks like play school if Mastercash nights are any indicator but I want to build up so if I start losing dropping down won't feel so scary.
  • edited July 2011
    nl10 is horrible, it's like loads of nits that have graduated from nl4 and are still trying to make money by opening TT+ AQ+ and limping all other playable hands, then playing agro post flop with tptk+ and c/calling other playable hands again.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I reckon more players break even/lose a little bit at nl10 than any other level.
  • edited July 2011
    nl10 is horrible, it's like loads of nits that have graduated from nl4 and are still trying to make money by opening TT+ AQ+ and limping all other playable hands, then playing agro post flop with tptk+ and c/calling other playable hands again. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I reckon more players break even/lose a little bit at nl10 than any other level.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    10nl is fine. Its not full of nits all the time.
  • edited July 2011

Its pretty much nl4 but with a much higher %age of nitty regs, and the fish are alot tighter post flop.

• edited July 2011
    nl10 is horrible, it's like loads of nits that have graduated from nl4 and are still trying to make money by opening TT+ AQ+ and limping all other playable hands, then playing agro post flop with tptk+ and c/calling other playable hands again. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I reckon more players break even/lose a little bit at nl10 than any other level.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Even my range at NL4 is wider than that lol

Seriously though it's fairly obvious the higher you move up the more varied your raising range needs to be, I've never played it but like a I keep on saying I saw bags of goldfish limping UTG/general bad play with junk on Saturdays nights and repeatedly every week it happens so maybe you just have to play at the right time.
  • edited July 2011
    Its pretty much nl4 but with a much higher %age of nitty regs, and the fish are alot tighter post flop.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I agree with this
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : Even my range at NL4 is wider than that lol Seriously though it's fairly obvious the higher you move up the more varied your raising range needs to be, I've never played it but like a I keep on saying I saw bags of goldfish limping UTG/general bad play with junk on Saturdays nights and repeatedly every week it happens so maybe you just have to play at the right time.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Dude can I ask what age you are? I know it's personal, however it's relevant to the advice I would give you regards moving up limits and bankroll management.

Cheers
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : Dude can I ask what age you are? I know it's personal, however it's relevant to the advice I would give you regards moving up limits and bankroll management. Cheers
    Posted by yuranASSet
    He is 12 , BUT a very decent player nonetheless ;)

Only kiddin bro xxx
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : Dude can I ask what age you are? I know it's personal, however it's relevant to the advice I would give you regards moving up limits and bankroll management. Cheers
    Posted by yuranASSet
    20 mate, also check ya profile sent friend request.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : 20 mate, also check ya profile sent friend request.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I was going to send you a private message buy i'll leave this ida open to others as it's just my opinion.

But your 20 and i noticed you said you play by a 20 buy in rule. When you are 20 You are aloud to be more agressive with your bankroll. 

You havn't accepted it as a full time job yet, I'm not fully aware of your current situation but maybe one day you would like to make money playing full time playing poker. Well I suggest... because your 20....

if you have 140 bankroll, skip 8nl... stop playing 4nl right now and start playing 10nl because you will beat it.
    and when your bankroll is 260-300, mix between 10nl and 20nl and you will beat it. Get your bankroll too 600 stop wasting time because if it goes pear shaped your only 20. The younger the age the more agressive you should be with your bankroll. I know you believe you can beat 20nl so do it, then apply the hours and keep on improving then watch the more pour in.

If you run bad at 10nl stop playing it when you hit an 80 quid bankroll and start again.  But I don't think that will happen, 10nl is a doddle mate.

Controversial bankroll tips but you need to believe in your game. Play the way you play at 4nl and you won't experience huge variance and swings 

Open to debate
  • edited July 2011
    WOW interesting response, I actually thought you were about to tell me 20 BI's wasn't enough lol

I agree with you that I probably/definitely will be able to beat NL10 and with 14 BI's yes that would most likely be enough but I guess I'm just VERY nitty so making that jump up feels a little risky as I'd hate to see it all crumble.

It's not massive to most REGS but I had a 5 BI down swing over 2 days at the start of the month which took me under £100 but I was fine with it as was playing within BR if that happened at NL10 it might affect my game and mindest.

So in short I'll stick to how I'm doing it now but thanks for vote of confidence. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Okay, but all i'm saying is if you ask most of the winning "old regs", I bet they wish they were a little more agressive with their bankroll at 20. I'm not saying go bust but make sure you leave yourself 80 to start again. But if you don't have the confidence to try i, don't do it. 

Good Luck

• edited July 2011
    Okay, but all i'm saying is if you ask most of the winning "old regs", I bet they wish they were a little more agressive with their bankroll at 20. I'm not saying go bust but make sure you leave yourself 80 to start again. But if you don't have the confidence to try i, don't do it.  Good Luck
    Posted by yuranASSet
    As Micheal J Fox said 'Nobody calls me chicken!'

I have the confidence but also want to feel the sense of achievement of moving up the levels instead of 'taking a shot' as many do. This can work but it can also end in disaster.
  • edited July 2011
    It wouldn't be a shot! Just beat it and like I said, your only 20. If you do fauil try again. There us absolute no bust risk involved go, you'll always have 80 ui for 4NL, YOUR YOUNG BE AGGRESSIVE.

CHICKEN!!!

Haha
  • edited July 2011
    depends how the table is playing -
    if there are a lot of check folding going on i am raising -
    I would ask myself why I am rasing - inflate the pot or get them to fold
    if they appear to be flatting AA-22 I am Limping
    the only problem you do have is if you raise and they call then your flush may be no good if it comes at
    everyone loves suited conns at NL4 and will call any raise OOP