You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

J10s on btn after limps

2»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    About the bankroll thing, the 20buy in rule assumes you beat the game (all bankfoll management strategies do afaik) its a rule of thumb to protect you from variance. Dudeskin Im sure can beat higher levels, but the reason you wait till you are rolled is to protect yourself from variance. Its up to him and I understand what yuranasset is saying, but losing 8-10 buy ins can easily happen due to variance even if you are a good winner in a game
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps:
    depends how the table is playing - if there are a lot of check folding going on i am raising - I would ask myself why I am rasing - inflate the pot or get them to fold if they appear to be flatting AA-22 I am Limping the only problem you do have is if you raise and they call then your flush may be no good if it comes at everyone loves suited conns at NL4 and will call any raise OOP
    Posted by rancid
    That's another thing, am I raising with J10s to get everyone to fold primarily and then if they call cbet good flops or when I raise do I want them to call, surely not ? Whenever the NL200/300 reraise with like 56s it's pretty much always to take it down there and then so this is the same I presume and in that case is there any point with just 4/5 BB's in the pot ?

Also, yes grantorino variance can happen and I'd rather it happen when I'm more stable and can take the beats, although I could play down to £80 I'd rather just progress through 8NL then 10NL which is only 5 BI's off from £160 /> £200 so won't take that long.
  • edited July 2011

I think thats a good point by Yura, as long as you still live with your parents and you can always top up still. like he says if you get down to 80 then jus grind it up but maybe you wont need to.

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : That's another thing, am I raising with J10s to get everyone to fold primarily and then if they call cbet good flops or when I raise do I want them to call, surely not ? Whenever the NL200/300 reraise with like 56s it's pretty much always to take it down there and then so this is the same I presume and in that case is there any point with just 4/5 BB's in the pot ? Also, yes grantorino variance can happen and I'd rather it happen when I'm more stable and can take the beats, although I could play down to £80 I'd rather just progress through 8NL then 10NL which is only 5 BI's off from £160 /> £200 so won't take that long.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Two way thing raising in position at NL4 gives you two ways to win, they fold or check fold to your c bet.
    Probably best to be raising 80% of the time in this situation if the table is passive.

Regarding the bankroll, I've tried spinning up and it's great when it works but when you get like 10-15 bad beats on the bounce you do start to think grinding is best.
    For example in four days I doubled by bankrolls by spins, in the next two weeks it was gone :D

I think there are a lot of players who can beat 10NL and higher but honestly your age doesn't matter.
    Stick to your BRM and feel comfotable taking a downswing or loosing 5-12 buy ins.
    I think it's a safer route to take your spins in MTT's were you can win a lot compared to your BR.
    Enter £5 MTT's and try and spin from there, providing you win back the money in your cash game to cover your outlay.

• edited July 2011

Interesting BRM debate.....

I'm prob one of the biggest bankroll nits on the site, so i'll give my opinion.....

I've been playing/beating the same level/s now for nearly 2 years, without moving up. I've taken shots but they were spontanious rather than pre-planned, ie, when I'm on a heater/on tilt, or just drunk....

I'm reluctant to move up because I've worked so hard to build my bankroll and am in a position where I can take significant money from it reguarly, whilst maintining/increasing it with no chance of going bust....

Obv that's a good situation to be in, but I really do regret not being more aggressive with my bankroll from day 1. I got stuck in a rut/routine, and I couldn't seem to get out of it, and now it's got to the point where I don't even want to get out of it.

It's going to be hard for me to improve as a player without moving up, so I've kinda settled for beating a level I know I can beat, and it is what it is.....

But if I could go back 2 years I would have definitely taken ASSets advice, it's the best way to be aggressive when you KNOW you can beat the games. It's a fine line between being brave and being stupid with your bankroll, but pre-determined, calculated risks are definitely a good idea and a good habit to get in to.

I'd +1 it, and encourage you to get to 8nl asap, like now........

You play a solid unexploitable game, you can't really fail. 

gl either way
  • edited July 2011
    Cheers for all the tips. :)

Well one of the main reasons I want to move up is mainly so I can start entering the bigger MTT's where for £11 you can win potentially £100's and for £22/£33 £1000's. So basically the aim is to get to a stage where my cash game fully funds the MTT's whilst also giving me some pocket money. Also this may sound stupid but being on one of the Mastercash tables they show would be cool and is another little goal of mine, although playing properly i.e. not with scared money which it would be now.

On the 8NL Dohhh I will give that a go tonight, just 1 table to start with mind ;).
  • edited July 2011
  • edited July 2011
    Interesting BRM debate..... I'm prob one of the biggest bankroll nits on the site, so i'll give my opinion..... I've been playing/beating the same level/s now for nearly 2 years, without moving up. I've taken shots but they were spontanious rather than pre-planned, ie, when I'm on a heater/on tilt, or just drunk.... I'm reluctant to move up because I've worked so hard to build my bankroll and am in a position where I can take significant money from it reguarly, whilst maintining/increasing it with no chance of going bust.... Obv that's a good situation to be in, but I really do regret not being more aggressive with my bankroll from day 1. I got stuck in a rut/routine, and I couldn't seem to get out of it, and now it's got to the point where I don't even want to get out of it. It's going to be hard for me to improve as a player without moving up, so I've kinda settled for beating a level I know I can beat, and it is what it is..... But if I could go back 2 years I would have definitely taken ASSets advice, it's the best way to be aggressive when you KNOW you can beat the games. It's a fine line between being brave and being stupid with your bankroll, but pre-determined, calculated risks are definitely a good idea and a good habit to get in to. I'd +1 it, and encourage you to get to 8nl asap, like now........ You play a solid unexploitable game, you can't really fail.  gl either way
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I have always valued your advice on here.

In your position I would defo make a a move up, I would find it frustrating that players like Boonicon, Tommy D etc have moved on when you must have played them loads when they were playing 30nl regularly, I know you crush 30nl, but found myself on a 20nl table with you the other night and thought I would check to see how many tables you were playing and it was 1!!!! Perhaps you were playing elsewhere/doing other things but seemed like a waste of your time.

Seems to me to be a sign of boredom, move on and crush 50nl and 100nl!

As far as Dudeskin is concerned I think defo move on too, I struggled far more with 8nl and 10nl than I do with 20nl and 30nl, get there as soon as you can, take those shots at £10 MTTs and challenge yourself you seem to have a super solid game so will have no problem.

Just my opinion. Good Luck guys!
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : I have always valued your advice on here. In your position I would defo make a a move up, I would find it frustrating that players like Boonicon, Tommy D etc have moved on when you must have played them loads when they were playing 30nl regularly, I know you crush 30nl, but found myself on a 20nl table with you the other night and thought I would check to see how many tables you were playing and it was 1!!!! Perhaps you were playing elsewhere/doing other things but seemed like a waste of your time. Seems to me to be a sign of boredom, move on and crush 50nl and 100nl! As far as Dudeskin is concerned I think defo move on too, I struggled far more with 8nl and 10nl than I do with 20nl and 30nl, get there as soon as you can, take those shots at £10 MTTs and challenge yourself you seem to have a super solid game so will have no problem. Just my opinion. Good Luck guys!
    Posted by mattless

Ah yeh this was at the end of the session when I'd closed 5 tables down, I intended to close all but there was a fish with a stack to your left, and I kept giving myself 1 more orbit to try and get him. lol.

Kept getting me though :(

I would never be able to 1 table constantly unless I'm HU or deep in an mtt.

Anyway I take your general point, but I'm pretty much resigned now. Poker is hard enough to enjoy without losing, and the regs higher up are soooooo much better that althought grinding 1 level can also be boring, on balance it's the better option for me.

Still take stupid drunken shots and blow loads though, that'll never change :(

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: J10s on btn after limps : Ah yeh this was at the end of the session when I'd closed 5 tables down, I intended to close all but there was a fish with a stack to your left, and I kept giving myself 1 more orbit to try and get him. lol. Kept getting me though :( I would never be able to 1 table constantly unless I'm HU or deep in an mtt. Anyway I take your general point, but I'm pretty much resigned now. Poker is hard enough to enjoy without losing, and the regs higher up are soooooo much better that althought grinding 1 level can also be boring, on balance it's the better option for me. Still take stupid drunken shots and blow loads though, that'll never change :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Think you would kill 50nl, I'm sure you have bankroll and you could do it without affecting your "income"