You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

long winded but true

13»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Very enjoyable............mmmmmmmmmmmmmh!.....discussion...from both lobbies...all of which has resulted in no definite proofs being offered from either side of the camp.....however...a lot of the items have offered some very good advice.....(and i don't mean those that basically say....well **** off and play sumwhere else)  some solid gameplay advice is intertwined between the lines as well as some very good points.    The main points that have impressed me from the "not fixed lobby" concern computor programmes and quote  "The neccessity of a hugh database would be required"...I haven't got the nous to refute this...and i accept without question that this poster does.

As for rubbishing my gameplay....well...believe me..nobody does this better than myself...when it's due...I have always been self critical..which can prove advantageous on occasssion.   But in answer...having a new bambino in the family resulted in my pacing the floors at around 5am this morning...Since i was awake I decided to enter a freeroll on a site which i really only use to compare  football prices and sometimes do a bet....On this site freerolls are exactly what they say...but as a result each tourney generates hugh numbers...generally 1200 and upwards... This is a site which mainly caters to tourneys based in the south of Ireland...  Now i dont know if you've ever played at a table in Eire...but freeroll or not...every cents a prisoner... every players a warden...and both get shot if they go over the wall to make sure the cent doesn't get away...(and i say this in a complimentary fashion....so please put that away)... After a long hard enjoyable slog...(10 to a table 1000chips to start)...I finished in the top six...since the top six all get paid to the tune of 5euro and 60cents and the tournament ends...in fact this was a repeat of what i had done last time i found myself pacing the floors at an ungodly hour....You may scoff.."freerolls...any d**k(lol) can win them)...but i wouldn't scoff to loud...lol

I tend to think that how you play in some tournaments...can be due to your surrounding environment...i.e I have four kids...they're on holiday...like every parent...i'm very conscious of how much time i give them...(before i neglect them for 9:15 deepstack...lol..jking)....but my point is...many of the tournaments i enter..i am unable to give them the 100% concentration that both the tourney and the players deserve...I also have a tendancy to play some tourneys for the sake of playing tourney's....bad bad idea....If nobody minds taking advice from a d**k....if your not in a poker frame of mind...don't play...each and every tourney takes nothing less than total concentration..

I would just like to touch on that dangerous rush of blood which i'm sure affects many players when they're into their third or fourth hour on the table...suddenly..inexplicably..you make a terrible bet..or a terrible call...not so bad when your stack can afford it...in fact it can prove advantageous in the fact you wont do it again for a while...like some jockeys making their horse clip the first fence....however..when most of your stack has dissolved due to this error and you're facing hugh stacks...you end up like your fighting mike tyson..but cant throw a punch because your to busy using your hands to protect your ears...you dont want to anyway because you might make him angry.

Anyway...i've tortured you enuff...I just came on to thank each and everyone of you (for or against)...for putting up with me....thanks
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: long winded but true:
    Here's a classic from tonight. The eventual winner of the hand has so far called every hand and is hitting with trash. It's already been commented in the chat that this guy has no fold button. I on the other hand have hit zero although I've had decent hole cards so far. I get KK and smell a rat so play it smallball to see what happens ............ this: Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance made4game Small blind   20.00 20.00 5748.75 waller02 Big blind   40.00 60.00 4495.00   Your hole cards K K       nffc4eva Raise   160.00 220.00 4491.25 pager Fold         elsadog Call   160.00 380.00 3805.00 xxxxx  Call   160.00 540.00 6535.00 made4game Fold         waller02 Fold         Flop     A A A       nffc4eva Check         elsadog Check         xxxxxx  Bet   120.00 660.00 6415.00 nffc4eva Call   120.00 780.00 4371.25 elsadog Call   120.00 900.00 3685.00 Turn     3       nffc4eva Check         elsadog Check         xxxxxx  Bet   160.00 1060.00 6255.00 nffc4eva Call   160.00 1220.00 4211.25 elsadog Call   160.00 1380.00 3525.00 River     3       nffc4eva Check         elsadog Check         xxxxxx  Check         nffc4eva Show 10 Q       elsadog Show K K       xxxxxx  Show 3 3       xxxxxx  Win Four 3s 1380.00 It's this kind of thing that makes people wonder. A preflop shove wouldn't put this guy off, he'd have been in like a rat up a drainpipe with his 33. He has a pet goldfish BTW.
    Posted by elsadog
    lol... i would have lost all my hair to that one...but like yourself...on the basis of that alone....i could've put that down to bad luck.....what interests me is the ability to see it as a potential beater....(bar other ace)...that has to be knowledge accumulated over time as to how online poker plays...time for a reevaluation on my part methinks
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: long winded but true : lol... i would have lost all my hair to that one...but like yourself...on the basis of that alone....i could've put that down to bad luck.....what interests me is the ability to see it as a potential beater....(bar other ace)...that has to be knowledge accumulated over time as to how online poker plays...time for a reevaluation on my part methinks
    Posted by edge215
    This was my issue with the hand you posted....

The game is all about maximizing the amount you win when you have the best hand, and minimizing your losses when you have the worst handl. 

To do this we have to look beyond our hole cards, and the community cards, and try and work out what our opponents might have. If we can figure out a range of hands that he might have, by looking at his betting patterns and his play in previous hands, we can decide what is the best move for us to either a) win as much as we can, or b) reduce the amount we lose.

On the hand when you had the Q flush, the board was paired, and there was a higher flush out, with 2 players betting and raising on the river into you.

Theres some big clues here that your hand was no good in this spot, but you seemed to ignore all the warning signals, and went ahead and shoved all your chips in anyway, no doubt looking at your hand, and the board, with little or no consideration for your opponents hand ranges. 

So in short, turns and rivers are going to bring bad cards for your hand sometimes, which either complete a straight or a flush etc....but just because you have gone behind in a hand, it's not an excuse to surrender all your chips. Nor is every scare card an excuse to fold your hand 100% of the time. And there lies the problem/skill element......

Recognise what the card means, and how it could have affeted your opponents hand, and proceed accordingly. 

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: long winded but true : This was my issue with the hand you posted.... The game is all about maximizing the amount you win when you have the best hand, and minimizing your losses when you have the worst handl.  To do this we have to look beyond our hole cards, and the community cards, and try and work out what our opponents might have. If we can figure out a range of hands that he might have, by looking at his betting patterns and his play in previous hands, we can decide what is the best move for us to either a) win as much as we can, or b) reduce the amount we lose. On the hand when you had the Q flush, the board was paired, and there was a higher flush out, with 2 players betting and raising on the river into you. Theres some big clues here that your hand was no good in this spot, but you seemed to ignore all the warning signals, and went ahead and shoved all your chips in anyway, no doubt looking at your hand, and the board, with little or no consideration for your opponents hand ranges.  So in short, turns and rivers are going to bring bad cards for your hand sometimes, which either complete a straight or a flush etc....but just because you have gone behind in a hand, it's not an excuse to surrender all your chips. Nor is every scare card an excuse to fold your hand 100% of the time. And there lies the problem/skill element...... Recognise what the card means, and how it could have affeted your opponents hand, and proceed accordingly. 

YOU WANT TO POST THAT LARGE, SO PEOPLE CAN READ IT.. THEN THEY MIGHT STOP CALLING ALL-IN BETS AGAINST ME FROM MASSIVELY LOSING HANDS AND CATCHING RIVERS....

COS THEY NEVER SEE PAST THEIR OWN 2 CARDS AND NEVER READ THE TABLE.. THEY NEVER READ THE FLOP AND MAKE STUPID CALLS WITH ONLY A FEW POSSIBLE CARDS TO CATCH BUT THEY STILL DO IT...

HERE IS MY LATEST PEICE OF BAD LUCK/ BAD BEAT... HE NEED TO PAIR THE BOARD TO WIN AND IT JUST SO HAPPENED AFTER 5 SECONDS THE BOARD PAIRS FOR HIM.... (SURPRISE SURPRISE)

Hand History #393105204 (22:33 17/07/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    horsebox Small blind  250.00 250.00 11574.00
    LnarinOO Big blind  500.00 750.00 15898.52
     Your hole cards
    • A

corbett04 Fold     
    bigal36903 Raise  1000.00 1750.00 11845.00
    super_fly Fold     
    arkle Fold     
    horsebox Call  750.00 2500.00 10824.00
    LnarinOO Fold     
    Flop

horsebox Check     
    bigal36903 Bet  1000.00 3500.00 10845.00
    horsebox Raise  2000.00 5500.00 8824.00
    bigal36903 Call  1000.00 6500.00 9845.00
    Turn

horsebox Bet  6500.00 13000.00 2324.00
    bigal36903 All-in  9845.00 22845.00 0.00
    horsebox All-in  2324.00 25169.00 0.00
    bigal36903 Unmatched bet  1021.00 24148.00 1021.00
    horsebox Show

bigal36903 Show
    • A

River

horsebox Win Full House, 4s and 5s 24148.00  24148

Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited July 2011
    That's a total cooler Al, he has a set, he's going nowhere. There's no obvious danger in terms of made hands on the turn, just alot of draws. Your hand is really well disguised, you can't really blame him for shipping the lot in.

Hand played fine by both players! ul! run better!

• edited July 2011
    2 MONTHS OF THIS SH** .. GETTING ME ANNOYED NOW..

I DID GET DONE TWICE BEFORE THAT BUT MANAGED TO GET THE CHIPS BACK AND MORE B4 THIS STAGE ONLY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.. NORMALLY I NEVER SEEM TO GET IT BACK
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: long winded but true : This was my issue with the hand you posted.... The game is all about maximizing the amount you win when you have the best hand, and minimizing your losses when you have the worst handl.  To do this we have to look beyond our hole cards, and the community cards, and try and work out what our opponents might have. If we can figure out a range of hands that he might have, by looking at his betting patterns and his play in previous hands, we can decide what is the best move for us to either a) win as much as we can, or b) reduce the amount we lose. On the hand when you had the Q flush, the board was paired, and there was a higher flush out, with 2 players betting and raising on the river into you. Theres some big clues here that your hand was no good in this spot, but you seemed to ignore all the warning signals, and went ahead and shoved all your chips in anyway, no doubt looking at your hand, and the board, with little or no consideration for your opponents hand ranges.  So in short, turns and rivers are going to bring bad cards for your hand sometimes, which either complete a straight or a flush etc....but just because you have gone behind in a hand, it's not an excuse to surrender all your chips. Nor is every scare card an excuse to fold your hand 100% of the time. And there lies the problem/skill element...... Recognise what the card means, and how it could have affeted your opponents hand, and proceed accordingly. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    can u not concede dohh...that a constant barrage of bad beats and cruel rivers can affect the gameplay of any player....and whereas they may have been playing flawless poker up until a certain point...that hint of desperation and hopelessness will creep into their gameplay....I know I know...this is the point where you step back take a break and reassess...and i fully admit to that is something i find hard to do due to playing around other priorities....but 1.2.or 100 badly played hands are not the basis to rubbish a players total game...they may have played a bad hand...hands..or game games...and there maybe extenuating circumstances why they have...I don't mean necessarily myself....no amount of calling me donk or d**k will make me rubbish my own game...my games good..but someimes i play badly...(then i rubbish it myself..the ability to know when its your own fault is crucial)...so it's water of a d**ks back..but i feel for more sensitive players...whom the crushing insult may affect in a bad derogatory fashion..your arguments are generally sound...and your advice generally good...so there's no need...anyway..few days holiday beckons and heavy journey ahead...ave