You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney

edited July 2011 in The Poker Clinic
blind  7000.00 7000.00 534835.00
Fitz833 Big blind  14000.00 21000.00 120692.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

biggunsme Call  14000.00 35000.00 133473.00
texastom07 Fold     
Fitz833 Check     
Flop

• K

Fitz833 Check     
biggunsme Bet  14000.00 49000.00 119473.00
Fitz833 Call  14000.00 63000.00 106692.00
Turn

Fitz833 Check     
biggunsme All-in  119473.00 182473.00 0.00
Fitz833 All-in  106692.00 289165.00 0.00
biggunsme Unmatched bet  12781.00 276384.00 12781.00
Fitz833 Show

biggunsme Show
  • K

River

Fitz833 Win Three 7s 276384.00  276384.00

Comments

• edited July 2011
    100% dont call, either raise or fold.

I dont even mind an all in.

Once you have called you need to bet the flop bigger
  • edited July 2011
    Raise or fold pre dont call, actually im shoving in this spot
  • edited July 2011
    Why would you move all in??? He has called your flop bet with something wether it be top pair (could be any kicker) or second pair (which your losing to) or a flush draw / str8 draw. So 2 out of three your behind in my eyes.
    Raise pre if you want to play i dont like the shove because your getting called by any king with a better kicker and not much worse so you will be shoving knowing your behind if your called and at best racing against a low pp or a rag ace. (Although majority of players on this site will say a shove is good here, i just don't agree but thats my opinion)
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney:
    Why would you move all in??? He has called your flop bet with something wether it be top pair (could be any kicker) or second pair (which your losing to) or a flush draw / str8 draw. So 2 out of three your behind in my eyes. Raise pre if you want to play i dont like the shove because your getting called by any king with a better kicker and not much worse so you will be shoving knowing your behind if your called and at best racing against a low pp or a rag ace. (Although majority of players on this site will say a shove is good here, i just don't agree but thats my opinion)
    Posted by Batkin88
    I do ;)

K10 with 10 bigs on the button is standard shove really, they can only call with 15-20% of the hands so its profitable, if you run into Ace x its still not always a call depending on the villain. we are shoving primary to win the blinds and if your called your not going to be in too bad a shape with K10suited you wont find much better opportunities
  • edited July 2011
    easiest shove pre ever :D
  • edited July 2011

Shove please.
    Don't try and play poker 10BB's deep.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : I do ;) K10 with 10 bigs on the button is standard shove really, they can only call with 15-20% of the hands so its profitable, if you run into Ace x its still not always a call depending on the villain. we are shoving primary to win the blinds and if your called your not going to be in too bad a shape with K10suited you wont find much better opportunities
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i think you will find there not suited lol i understand the shove i just don't like it i still believe you can play normally until 6 - 8 bb's deep in tournaments but that is how i play as opposed to the consensus of the forum
  • edited July 2011
    Why would you move all in??? He has called your flop bet with something wether it be top pair (could be any kicker) or second pair (which your losing to) or a flush draw / str8 draw. So 2 out of three your behind in my eyes. Raise pre if you want to play i dont like the shove because your getting called by any king with a better kicker and not much worse so you will be shoving knowing your behind if your called and at best racing against a low pp or a rag ace. (Although majority of players on this site will say a shove is good here, i just don't agree but thats my opinion)
    Posted by Batkin88
    Say you only get called by any Ace, any pair, or a better King.... you are still about 38% against this range.
    Plus you get a  lot of folds, where  you will pick up the blinds. (it's quite possible you will get some better hands to fold, as people often don't like to call it off with small pairs, rag aces, even KJ).

If you raise and one of the blinds shoves, what are you going to do? Fold?
  • edited July 2011

I was railing this after goin out in 9th (mini main event b/h) and imo and it seems most others as well ya really shoulda shoved pre here , fitz was a pretty tight player and went on to win this tourny so i reckon a shove pre woulda got him to fold , if so then who knows ya may of lasted longer , wp anyway it was a great final table xxx

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : Say you only get called by any Ace, any pair, or a better King.... you are still about 38% against this range. Plus you get a  lot of folds, where  you will pick up the blinds. (it's quite possible you will get some better hands to fold, as people often don't like to call it off with small pairs, rag aces, even KJ). If you raise and one of the blinds shoves, what are you going to do? Fold?
    Posted by jakally
    Spot on but worded soo much bettter then mine :)
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i think you will find there not suited lol i understand the shove i just don't like it i still believe you can play normally until 6 - 8 bb's deep in tournaments but that is how i play as opposed to the consensus of the forum
    Posted by Batkin88
    ok still dont make much difference suited or not mis-read ftw
  • edited July 2011
    Batkin I know it's your opinion n all that, but honestly how do you do so well in tournys on sky if you don't shove in spots like this?

I could ask that of like 10 names off the top of my head, they always go deep, and have good records, but some of the stuff I see them do makes me feel like crying.

Does the lack of antes really make THAT MUCH difference????

Maybe I need to change my strategy!!!!!
  • edited July 2011
    thanks all, debdobs u see on final table wen the fella in the bottom left shoved with his last 52k and tex called well i folded and i had pocket 2s would of hit quads if id of just called there id of 600k lol my bad think i shud of called even to c flop
  • edited July 2011
    thanks all, debdobs u see on final table wen the fella in the bottom left shoved with his last 52k and tex called well i folded and i had pocket 2s would of hit quads if id of just called there id of 600k lol my bad think i shud of called even to c flop
    Posted by biggunsme
    Post hand please and we shall discuss if thats ok
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : Post hand please and we shall discuss if thats ok
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    ok fella
  • edited July 2011

I just don't see why you would need to shove, just think back to how many times u have been dumped out of a tournament when your trying to steal blinds.
    I prefer to be the player picking off hese players who shove with any 2 in these posistions and double up, and i don't think that 10bb's isn't enough to play with i could comfortably sit for a few more orbits on 10bb's and pick the best hand and perform a few squeezes or posistion shoves where i know i won't get called and slowly build back up chip stack

• edited July 2011
    I just don't see why you would need to shove, just think back to how many times u have been dumped out of a tournament when your trying to steal blinds. I prefer to be the player picking off hese players who shove with any 2 in these posistions and double up, and i don't think that 10bb's isn't enough to play with i could comfortably sit for a few more orbits on 10bb's and pick the best hand and perform a few squeezes or posistion shoves where i know i won't get called and slowly build back up chip stack
    Posted by Batkin88
    Are you going to find a better opportunity to 'position shove' than this?

The lower your stack, the more likely you are to get called, so this is a better spot to shove KTo w/10xbb than wait 2 orbits and shove with 8xbb??

Also this looks like it's 3 handed? what kinda hand are you waiting for??

• edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : Say you only get called by any Ace, any pair, or a better King.... you are still about 38% against this range. Plus you get a  lot of folds, where  you will pick up the blinds. (it's quite possible you will get some better hands to fold, as people often don't like to call it off with small pairs, rag aces, even KJ). If you raise and one of the blinds shoves, what are you going to do? Fold?
    Posted by jakally
    A raise would remove these hands aswell and yes in some circumstances if the raise is the correct amount you can fold to a shove. Like i have stated i do understand the reason for shoving and that is what is encouraged on sky poker which isn't incorrect but it isn't the only way of playing and a player. And in this circumstance a raise would of removed this hand aswell.
  • edited July 2011
    I just don't see why you would need to shove, just think back to how many times u have been dumped out of a tournament when your trying to steal blinds. I prefer to be the player picking off hese players who shove with any 2 in these posistions and double up, and i don't think that 10bb's isn't enough to play with i could comfortably sit for a few more orbits on 10bb's and pick the best hand and perform a few squeezes or posistion shoves where i know i won't get called and slowly build back up chip stack
    Posted by Batkin88
    Level right? its unopened button, im jamming Q10/J10 in this spot. I agree as no antes 10 isn't always the magic number on sky but generally its still the same especially at the end of tournaments when people try to ladder you want to be pushing them around and what not. ok no need to be silly but K10 is well above the avearge hand and we are shorthanded have 10 bigs ideal opportunity to shove.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : A raise would remove these hands aswell and yes in some circumstances if the raise is the correct amount you can fold to a shove. Like i have stated i do understand the reason for shoving and that is what is encouraged on sky poker which isn't incorrect but it isn't the only way of playing and a player. And in this circumstance a raise would of removed this hand aswell.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Raise fold with 12bb< is very bad!!
  • edited July 2011
    I would be waiting for spots such as sitting in SB with two limps before or holding anything higher than k 10 tbh k 10 is not in my range in tournaments unless very deep and its a hand i always get into trouble with. Button shoves are look like steals so you are getting called lighter aswell e.g KQ KJ A T A9 or any ace suited.
    I prefer to steal from one before the button as it looks so much stronger than the button or hitting the blinds heavy with any two. For the record i wouldn't shove with 88 or any pp below either. You can steal them blinds here and yes you will have another 15%- 20% to your stack or you can pick the right spot get it in win 50% on top of your stack and not have to see a flop.
    (I am not waiting for hands i would be waiting for better value spots)
  • edited July 2011
    10BB's?  Fold or Jam
  • edited July 2011
     Poker is a very simple game as long as you stick to a few basic rules.

Rule 1) Preflop(with any hand) Raising= Good  Folding=Good  Limping= Bad.
     Rule 2) Always have a reason for everything that you do. With this hand your entire reasoning seems to be to hope that you hit the board well and anyone else in the hand to hit it as well but not quite as well as you and so will pay you off.

At these blind levels and with your stack size blind stealing needs to be a big part of your game with it being about a 15% increase available.A 2x or 3x raise pot commits you which really leaves you with min raise, shove or fold.Normally a minraise is a pointless and stupid thing to do but at high blind levels it comes into its own as a powerful move.

KT is a marginal hand to try to play down the streets whilst 10bb deep against an opponent who could have ATC.So in a nutshell raise or fold and never ever limp(unless trying to induce).
  • edited July 2011

You would rather shove from the cut off than the button?

You know that means there are 3 people that could call you instead of 2? You're going to get called much more often. 

It's also hard to shove from the cut off in a 3 handed game.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : A raise would remove these hands aswell and yes in some circumstances if the raise is the correct amount you can fold to a shove. Like i have stated i do understand the reason for shoving and that is what is encouraged on sky poker which isn't incorrect but it isn't the only way of playing and a player. And in this circumstance a raise would of removed this hand aswell.
    Posted by Batkin88

I'm ok with raising, and calling a shove, but it's pretty spewy to raise / fold with 10bb stacks. It's just burning chips.

But like  you say, there isn't only one way of playing, and you are clearly having success with the way you play.

• ybyb
    edited July 2011
    batkin you can actually work out that shoving pre with KTo is +EV here. I'm not raise/folding with 10bbs, so shoving >> minraising imo.
  • edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : I'm ok with raising, and calling a shove, but it's pretty spewy to raise / fold with 10bb stacks. It's just burning chips. But like  you say, there isn't only one way of playing, and you are clearly having success with the way you play.
    Posted by jakally
    Is that in general? or with this hand in this spot?

KTo isn't strong enough to induce with right, unless the BB is insanely agro, and even then it's not strong enough???

Just as an aside, what size stack would you induce and raise/fold with in this spot on sky without antes? When does it go from raise-fold/raise-call, to just open shove iyo?

What's the worst hand you would induce with against a competent BB in the above scenario, or even when folded you you in the BB?
  • ybyb
    edited July 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand at this stage or tourney : Is that in general? or with this hand in this spot? KTo isn't strong enough to induce with right, unless the BB is insanely agro, and even then it's not strong enough??? Just as an aside, what size stack would you induce and raise/fold with in this spot on sky without antes? When does it go from raise-fold/raise-call, to just open shove iyo? What's the worst hand you would induce with against a competent BB in the above scenario, or even when folded you you in the BB?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    If the bb is competent I think you should be shoving with 100% of your opening range to balance your range.
  • edited July 2011

In regards to dohhhhh i would rather hit with 3 behind as your hand looks stronger than a button shove which is standard so to speak, i fully understand all the reasoning behind why your shoving here but 10bb's to me is a very playable stack i would happily sit with 10bb's and would not start these plays until 6-8 bbs as i am comfortable playing with these stack sizes. I guess thats what it comes down to in the end i don't really play cash unless really bored so i have tournament play i stick to but all advice is taken on board and very helpful i just don't feel shoving with K T is ever getting called by less than k T so if you do it 5 times and get away with it 3 times your still out of cashing in one tournament and if i make this move and get called by KQ KJ A T or better i wouldn't be happy with my play

• edited July 2011
    Snap shove pre, why has this thread got so long lolz ?