You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker?:
    I've never believed that there is anything funny going on, but people DO have seriously bad beats and moreso online when there are more hands to play per hour. The last three MTTs I've gone out: 1. Anjie had KK against my aces and hit a K on the river. 2. Unknown villain needed to hit a 6 on the river and hit it. 3. Another villain had J7o, I had K9, flop was K92 rainbow - turn and river were 8 and T. All three were terrible beats. In only one of them could I say the villain played well or anywhere near properly (that was Anjie who did play it well and had me covered). After playing on this site for about four years, I've posted two consecutive months of losses for the first time. I'm not moaning 'fix' or anything like that, I'm just on a dreadful run. At times like this, which happen to all of us, people do get emotive. It's too dismissive to label everyone who lets off a bit of steam as a 'whinger'.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Well, I hear you, but I don't agree.

First off, what good does moaning do? It's like moaning about the weaether - it's a waste of time & energy, & nobody wants to hear moans, or read about them. Nobody.

To me, a class act is someone who takes their beats like a grown-up, instead of bellyaching every time they get a beat. In that respect, poker is a great game to gauge how people stand up to a bit of adversity, a bit of rain in their face. If they can't take a beat at the poker table (poker is just a game) without moaning, I dread to think how they stand up to real setbacks, & the bumps & bruises of real life.

But if they wannna whinge, fine, let them, I won't engage with them, read it, or reply to it. If they really think moaning will solve anything, they are kidding themselves - but they are not kidding me. On the Live Circuit, all the players know not to bother me with their Bad Beat Tales, as I'm not interested, nor is anyone else. Try telling Dave Colclough, a perfect Gent, a Bad-Beat Tale, & see what happens. He just walks away.

However.....

It's when, because they are not able to take a beat like an adult, they accuse Sky Poker of rigging the software that it gets my goat. Quite apart from the rank stupidity of that view, what it means, by extension, is that the Staff that work here - me included - are conspiring to cheat.

Why should we have to be labelled with that libellous slur? Would you like to be so labelled?

PS - If you have made profits here since the site began, but just endured 2 losing months, your game must be excellent, & it's just variance rearing it's inevitable & ugly head. I do hope you are soon back on the profit trail.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Far be it for me to query the King of Stats, & in  fact, you may well be right. But.... The odds you quote are for 3 players each holding PP to each flop a Set. So you have - I think - calculated the Set odds. The odds I'd be interested to know are not quite the same thing. What would be the odds for three players each to be dealt a PP, AND to each flop a Set. Which is an entirely different thing. I heard on another Forum it was in the region of 41,000-1.
    Posted by Tikay10

It depends on the number of players at the table.
    Here are the figures for a 3-handed game.

(52/52) * (3/51) * (48/50) * (3/49) * (44/48) * (3/47) * (6/46) * (4/45) * (2/44) = 0.0000001 or 9,379,926 to 1.

That seems very large odds and I'm happy to be corrected, as always.

The calculation is based on the following:

Player A's first card can be anything. (52/52)
    Player A's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/51)
    Player B's first card must be one of 48 cards that does not match player A's paired cards. (48/50)
    Player B's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/49)
    Player C's first card must be one of 44 cards that does not match player A's or player B's paired cards. (44/48)
    Player C's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/47)

The first flop card can be any of 6 cards that make a set for any of the players (6/46).
    The second flop card can be any of 4 cards that make a set for either of the two remaining players (4/45).
    The third flop card can be any of 2 cards that make a set for the third player (2/44).

If you tell me how many were seated at the table, I'll tell you the odds for that too - but I suspect that would be going too far for most people's boredom thresholds! In fact, I may have passed that threshold for most people a while ago.
  • edited October 2009

Thanks Vince. The Table was playing 9 handed.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Well, I hear you, but I don't agree. First off, what good does moaning do? It's like moaning about the weaether - it's a waste of time & energy, & nobody wants to hear moans, or read about them. Nobody. To me, a class act is someone who takes their beats like a grown-up, instead of bellyaching every time they get a beat. In that respect, poker is a great game to gauge how people stand up to a bit of adversity, a bit of rain in their face. If they can't take a beat at the poker table (poker is just a game ) without moaning, I dread to think how they stand up to real setbacks, & the bumps & bruises of real life. But if they wannna whinge, fine, let them, I won't engage with them, read it, or reply to it. If they really think moaning will solve anything, they are kidding themselves - but they are not kidding me. On the Live Circuit, all the players know not to bother me with their Bad Beat Tales, as I'm not interested, nor is anyone else. Try telling Dave Colclough, a perfect Gent, a Bad-Beat Tale, & see what happens. He just walks away. However..... It's when, because they are not able to take a beat like an adult, they accuse Sky Poker of rigging the software that it gets my goat. Quite apart from the rank stupidity of that view, what it means, by extension, is that the Staff that work here - me included - are conspiring to cheat. Why should we have to be labelled with that libellous slur? Would you like to be so labelled? PS - If you have made profits here since the site began, but just endured 2 losing months, your game must be excellent, & it's just variance rearing it's inevitable & ugly head. I do hope you are soon back on the profit trail.
    Posted by Tikay10
    ...... and breathe :-)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Well, I hear you, but I don't agree. First off, what good does moaning do? It's like moaning about the weaether - it's a waste of time & energy, & nobody wants to hear moans, or read about them. Nobody. To me, a class act is someone who takes their beats like a grown-up, instead of bellyaching every time they get a beat. In that respect, poker is a great game to gauge how people stand up to a bit of adversity, a bit of rain in their face. If they can't take a beat at the poker table (poker is just a game ) without moaning, I dread to think how they stand up to real setbacks, & the bumps & bruises of real life. But if they wannna whinge, fine, let them, I won't engage with them, read it, or reply to it. If they really think moaning will solve anything, they are kidding themselves - but they are not kidding me. On the Live Circuit, all the players know not to bother me with their Bad Beat Tales, as I'm not interested, nor is anyone else. Try telling Dave Colclough, a perfect Gent, a Bad-Beat Tale, & see what happens. He just walks away. However..... It's when, because they are not able to take a beat like an adult, they accuse Sky Poker of rigging the software that it gets my goat. Quite apart from the rank stupidity of that view, what it means, by extension, is that the Staff that work here - me included - are conspiring to cheat. Why should we have to be labelled with that libellous slur? Would you like to be so labelled? PS - If you have made profits here since the site began, but just endured 2 losing months, your game must be excellent, & it's just variance rearing it's inevitable & ugly head. I do hope you are soon back on the profit trail.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tony,
    ONLY 2 MONTHS, i've been on a bad run for the last 6 or 7 months, but over the time i've been on sky i'm still in profit
    I would like to think i can take a beat like a man but the dog now runs as soon as the laptop comes out.
    I hope it will turn around but it will make my next big win all the more sweeter.

col
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : It depends on the number of players at the table. Here are the figures for a 3-handed game. (52/52) * (3/51) * (48/50) * (3/49) * (44/48) * (3/47) * (6/46) * (4/45) * (2/44) = 0.0000001 or 9,379,926 to 1. That seems very large odds and I'm happy to be corrected, as always. The calculation is based on the following: Player A's first card can be anything. (52/52) Player A's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/51) Player B's first card must be one of 48 cards that does not match player A's paired cards. (48/50) Player B's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/49) Player C's first card must be one of 44 cards that does not match player A's or player B's paired cards. (44/48) Player C's second card must be one of the 3 cards that pair his first card. (3/47) The first flop card can be any of 6 cards that make a set for any of the players (6/46). The first flop card can be any of 4 cards that make a set for either of the two remaining players (4/45). The first flop card can be any of 2 cards that make a set for the third player (2/44). If you tell me how many were seated at the table, I'll tell you the odds for that too - but I suspect that would be going too far for most people's boredom thresholds! In fact, I may have passed that threshold for most people a while ago.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Can someone wake me up when this lecture is over please lol
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Hi Tony, ONLY 2 MONTHS, i've been on a bad run for the last 6 or 7 months, but over the time i've been on sky i'm still in profit I would like to think i can take a beat like a man but the dog now runs as soon as the laptop comes out. I hope it will turn around but it will make my next big win all the more sweeter. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    And there is the beauty, & the abntidote, to running bad - looking forward to the upswing, which is all the sweeter with every passing day.

When I get a result - any result - I really enjoy it - I do. Because I don't much like it when I lose. But I, like you, can handle both.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks Vince. The Table was playing 9 handed.
    Posted by Tikay10
    For a 9-handed table you have to divide the odds by the number of ways of choosing 3 hands from 9.
    There are 84 ways of doing this - you will have to trust me on that. (I can show how that is worked out but nobody is interested - I'm 99.9% sure of that :-) ).

Therefore the odds on a 9-handed table are: 111,666 to 1.

Note: I have excluded any issues with any of the other 6 players holding one of the same cards as our three paired players just to keep this sensible.
  • edited October 2009
    What makes me chuckle about people going on about bad beats, is they are usually the ones that give them out!

I remember being at the Final of the (then was) SPUKT and a guy kept telling EVERYONE about his bad beats (i think he bored you for about an hour Tikay) his name is related to 'driving trucks' (",) ... Not suprisingly he busted out of the ME early on a "Bad beat" and went to do a Sit N Go... I watched him while on a break and he continually bad beated everyone on the table.. Then the inevitable happened, he actually went in ahead and got beaten, The stare he gave the person on the table would rival one of Roy Keane's... He just stared at this bloke for about 3 minutes as if he was about to shoot him or something... Scary stuff, but i think he forgot all the bad beats he had just given out... LMAO!!!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : ...... and breathe :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Lol.

I could have put it more succintly, I suppose.

Why indulge in a game - something, by definition, designed for enjoyment - if you are gonna moan about it? I know how many beans make five but that one whooshes me completely. If I dislike a game, I just don't play it.....
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Lol. I could have put it more succintly, I suppose. Why indulge in a game - something, by definition, designed for enjoyment - if you are gonna moan about it? I know how many beans make five but that one whooshes me completely. If I dislike a game, I just don't play it.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    I totally agree with you Tikay. 

By the way is the answer six?

Steve
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : I totally agree with you Tikay.  By the way is the answer six? Steve
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    Dunno - we have Mere Novice on the case.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : For a 9-handed table you have to divide the odds by the number of ways of choosing 3 hands from 9. There are 84 ways of doing this - you will have to trust me on that. (I can show how that is worked out but nobody is interested - I'm 99.9% sure of that :-) ). Therefore the odds on a 9-handed table are: 111,666 to 1. Note: I have excluded any issues with any of the other 6 players holding one of the same cards as our three paired players just to keep this sensible.
    Posted by MereNovice
    You must have a maths degree, my head is splitting just trying to follow it!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Dunno - we have Mere Novice on the case.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Extensive research leads me to believe that the answer is "bean, bean, bean & a half, half a bean & a bean" but I could be wrong. As always, I'm happy to be corrected.

I also heard that the answer is 4 since one of them is a has-been.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: What WOULD they say if this happened on Sky Poker? : Extensive research leads me to believe that the answer is "bean, bean, bean & a half, half a bean & a bean" but I could be wrong. As always, I'm happy to be corrected. I also heard that the answer is 4 since one of them is a has-been.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Baldrick told me the answer was some beans 2 beans plus 2 beans = some beans

*Anyone who likes blackadder will hopefully get that :-)*
  • edited October 2009
    Or a very small casserole.
  • edited October 2009

I genuinely think that this is an incredibly potent discussion, and one that needs proper reflection. The central issue here (to me, at least), is all about attitude and responsibility.

A far wiser man than me, once uttered that 'attitude determines altitude', and there's a lot in that simple epithet. 

Similarly, Henry Ford famously quoted that 'The man that thought they could, and the man that thought they couldn't, were both right'. Apparently, women hadn't been invented back then, but the man had a very good point nonetheless.

Poker is definitely a reflection of life, and that's what makes it so engaging. If you get knocked down; just learn from the experience and get back up again. It really is that simple. Poker is a game of incomplete information, so if you aren't adult enough to accept that occasionally, an  inferior starting hand could beat you, then you really ought to switch to Buckaroo.

As a nation, I'm concerned that many of us are are too willing to offload the responsibility of our failures onto other sources, which is wrong. Some people are glass-half-full-merchants, and others are glass-half-empty. Me? Well if I've got any kind of vessel that will hold liquid, then I really can't smile wide enough. I suggest you do the same... Even when your pocket Aces get cracked.

Celebrate your mistakes and grow bigger and better from them. Mistakes are wonderful things.

Blimey, I haven't even started drinking yet... That all got a bit serious...

• edited October 2009

And THAT, Mr FlutNush, may be the best Post ever on the Sky Poker Community.

When I see the folks getting uppity about an outdraw, & searching around for someone to blame - "ooh, let's blame the software" - I always think of the Kipling poem, "If".

Poker can be a harsh game, & I have the utmost respect for those who handle their defeats well.
  • edited October 2009
    I must agree with both Tikay on his point about NutFlush's post.

It has got to be one of the greatest points i have ever read
  • edited October 2009

I quote, in particular, this by FlutNush.

".....Poker is definitely a reflection of life, and that's what makes it so engaging. If you get knocked down; just learn from the experience and get back up again. It really is that simple. Poker is a game of incomplete information, so if you aren't adult enough to accept that occasionally, an  inferior starting hand could beat you, then you really ought to switch to Buckaroo.

As a nation, I'm concerned that many of us are are too willing to offload the responsibility of our failures onto other sources, which is wrong......"

I think I love that man.

• edited October 2009
    This is my 1st post on here.......so please dont eat me alive!
    I have read this thread with a lot of interest and found some of it very enlighting. I have to admit that sometimes i am a bit of a 'moaner' on bad beats, favouring the big stack or just sometimes not believing a MTT on line can finish in its alloted TV time so easily. However , i feel that i can now, thanks to some good points above, put some of the synic behind me and have a more positive approach to this site and other poker sites.

Oh, winning a £750 B/H last nite and taking 10 heads helped aswell!!!!!.......lol.

But on a serious note, can some one point me in the right direction to get help on 'loading' the torneys when they start. About 8 outta 10 times my PC freezes so i miss the start as i have to re boot. Sorry for a  techy question on here but i am sure TK will not mind (?)
  • edited October 2009

Completely agree, quality post Flut, the two quotes are brilliant aswell.
  • edited October 2009

Oh, and judging by Tikay's last comment, you better get your coat too, cos you've definitely pulled. 8- />
  • edited October 2009
    And THAT, Mr FlutNush, may be the best Post ever on the Sky Poker Community. When I see the folks getting uppity about an outdraw, & searching around for someone to blame - "ooh, let's blame the software" - I always think of the Kipling poem, "If". Poker can be a harsh game, & I have the utmost respect for those who handle their defeats well.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tk i know you prefer the british pro's to the yanks but have you seen tom durrr dwan play on tv? if not you will like him a true gent after a bad beat also a world class player to boot its funny that hellmuth is exactly double his age and look at the difference lol.
  • edited October 2009
    Som1 decides to make a bad stack off with Jacks on QQ5 flop vs Kings and this is what a typical skypoker railbird types...

BERNIE /> typical sky set up
    BERNIE /> the flops on here never in a million
    lJAMESl /> w t f lol
    lJAMESl /> how was tht a setup
    BERNIE /> jj kk qq aa
    BERNIE /> just got called i had aa
    BERNIE /> flop aj q
    BERNIE /> gues wot]
    lJAMESl /> thts poker???
    BERNIE /> never in a millio odds ridiculous
    BERNIE /> no thats a fiddle
    BERNIE /> my freind
    BERNIE /> not once but every time
    BERNIE /> so that tells me something smells
    BERNIE /> i left the site before obviously till the same
    BERNIE /> still

Seriously where is the hidden camera this is sheer comedy, everyone cries about the most standard hands lol