You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash help needed pleasssse

edited August 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I started to play cash seriouly about 3 months age. Put £100 on to start at the 2/4p level. Only playing about 22% of hands and never limping, when I hit raised to get max.

First month made about £40, fine.  Last month bang dropped £25, and so far this month is the same trend.

Need help Please.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Sorry but no where near enough information. Where are you losing your money? Getting eaten up by blinds? Calling off bets and finding out you're behind? Calling bets whwen you're ahead and being outdrawn?

• edited August 2011
    If ya cant crush nl4 easily then ya either aint nowhere as gd as ya might think ya are OR ya is sooooo vvul xx
  • edited August 2011
    You're best off posting some of your biggest losing hands to see if you're making any fundemental mistakes.

If you're playing properly it's VERY hard to consistently lose money at NL4.
  • edited August 2011
    being up one month and losing another month is fine, as long as you're making the correct decision ...  VPIP of 22% is probz too big for 4NL though, maybe you need to look at that, probz ok though if you're being aggressive and not passive ... make more notes on players ... don't fire 2/3 barrels bluffing, try bet/raise more in position against fish instead of calling .. don't limp unless certain circumstances, usually always make a PFR with good hand, don't slow play big hands .. bet big / try play as solid as possible .. but yeah post hands up so we can analyse
  • edited August 2011
    Sounds like your too predictable.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse:
    Sounds like your too predictable.
    Posted by corlis38
    LOL, he's nowt playing NL100 lolz lolz lolz
  • edited August 2011

I only asked for a bit help as never played cash. Not to be slated. 
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : I only asked for a bit help as never played cash. Not to be slated. 
    Posted by chaper
    I don't think it was meant to come across like that.

Basically at 2p/4p there are ALOT of rubbish players, they definitely outnumber the good ones (in my experience). I did create a thread a few weeks ago in Poker Clinic (you could go find it) about finding 'fishes'. Watch out for people not buying in for full amount, and people limping all the time. You wanna spot the bad and good players quick. Then stay away from pots with the good players, get into pots against the rubbish players. When you come into a hand, always raise, you can mix up your raises but virtually never limp. With the real monsters like AA and KK raise big like at least 5X, more if people have limped in before you. When you get a hand bet big, NEVER SLOWPLAY at this level. I was told to stick to aruond 75% of the pot most of the time.

Post some hands on here where you're unsure if you made the right decision to fold/call/whatever and you get alot of help. It really isn't that hard to beat 2p/4p on here, so just play solid, keep learning, and stick with it.
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for the advice, it was just the tone of some of the posts.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : Thanks for the advice, it was just the tone of some of the posts.
    Posted by chaper

They do enjoy kicking yer brains in around these parts but the advice is solid. 

My advice would be to grow another layer of skin and come back as much as you need to.

They say education is never free, well, if the price of an improvement in bank-roll is a swift kick in the go-nads once in a while...well, it's a snip!!!!!

Z.
  • edited August 2011
    being up one month and losing another month is fine, as long as you're making the correct decision ...  VPIP of 22% is probz too big for 4NL though, maybe you need to look at that, probz ok though if you're being aggressive and not passive ... make more notes on players ... don't fire 2/3 barrels bluffing, try bet/raise more in position against fish instead of calling .. don't limp unless certain circumstances, usually always make a PFR with good hand, don't slow play big hands .. bet big / try play as solid as possible .. but yeah post hands up so we can analyse
    Posted by percival09
    Really!?

Seriously!?

Hows that even possible????

Sheeeet, I must be playing almost twice that many hands.

I dont think I have the personality to ever lay down that many hands.

How do you not slip into a coma?

I think I need to re-evaluate my play......I think I may have just had an Emiphany.

Z.

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : Really!? Seriously!? Hows that even possible???? Sheeeet, I must be playing almost twice that many hands. I dont think I have the personality to ever lay down that many hands. How do you not slip into a coma? I think I need to re-evaluate my play......I think I may have just had an Emiphany. Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    Is this sarcastic lol? It may not be but it seems it .... if it isn't just say and i'll answer..
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : Is this sarcastic lol? It may not be but it seems it .... if it isn't just say and i'll answer..
    Posted by percival09
    LOL!

Sorry, it does sound a little sarcky.

Unfortunately I was being deadly serious ;o{

Z.
  • edited August 2011
    if you are playing 44% of hands its definitely too high. I would think at 4NL though 22% might be ok, given stupid sizing some players do, although you would prob play a different 22% of hands than at higher levels
  • edited August 2011
    Hi Chaper

2p 4p is very different even to 5p 10p
    Don't raise 3x or 4x pre flop as you will get called by every man and his dog at that level. Play your 22% as this a nice percentage but you need to raise 6bb with everything in your 22% range whether 67 suited or AA. I think most players go wrong at this level because the 3x raise that you would see weed out the junk at the higher levels does not apply to 2p 4p. 
    Try this for a month and see how you get on.

Good luck
  • edited August 2011
    lol no worries!

vpip of 22% would be ok at most levels and probz is ok at 4NL if you're playing aggressively and not passively like i said, but if it's anything higher it's probz a leak in your game .. my advice would be to play tight, mostly only opening with good hands, folding marginals in early position ... maybe opening up more on the BTN .. post some hands up because if it is regularly over 30% then you def need to look at it, you want to play tight not loose at 4NL ...

• edited August 2011
    Hi Chaper 2p 4p is very different even to 5p 10p Don't raise 3x or 4x as you will get called by every man and his dog at that level. Play your 22% as this a nice percentage but you need to raise 6bb with everything in your 22% range whether 67 suited or AA. I think most players go wrong at this level because the 3x raise that you would see weed out the junk at the higher levels does not apply to 2p 4p.  Try this for a month and see how you get on. Good luck
    Posted by salazar
    i would doubt opening 6x with 67s is a good plan. Either vary your raise size, raise smaller, or tighten up your opening range imo.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : i would doubt opening 6x with 67s is a good plan. Either vary your raise size, raise smaller, or tighten up your opening range imo.
    Posted by grantorino

Why would you want to vary your pre flop raise size and give players a clue to what hands you've got? You raise the same amount every time so people don't know if you've got 67 or AA. 
    22% is a pretty tight range anyway, perfect for 2p 4p. Never vary your pre flop raise size, that's the worst thing you can do
  • edited August 2011
    lol no worries! vpip of 22% would be ok at most levels and probz is ok at 4NL if you're playing aggressively and not passively like i said, but if it's anything higher it's probz a leak in your game .. my advice would be to play tight, mostly only opening with good hands, folding marginals in early position ... maybe opening up more on the BTN .. post some hands up because if it is regularly over 30% then you def need to look at it, you want to play tight not loose at 4NL ...
    Posted by percival09
    This sounds really difficult, just playing the BTN and checking the BB equates to more than 22%vpip and 44% of all hands LOL!!!!!!

I'm gonna have to fold aces and kings outside of these positions to get down to 22% ;o))
  • edited August 2011
    I'd say 6X is a little extreme ... i don't think there's anything wrong with keeping it at 4X +1 for limper and +1 for being OOP
  • edited August 2011
    My standard used to be 5x +1 but 4x +1 is what I do now mainly due to cutting losses with failed cbets.

As long as you NEVER open 3x you'll be ok.
  • edited August 2011
    wow
    22% is not a tight range ..... it's more than 1 in 5 hands you're involved in, which is quite a solid amount, if anything it's more on the loose side than tight, there's something up with your knowledge if you think it's too tight
    i didn't say just open the BTN, i said fold marginals (i.e. J10JQ etc.) in early position, whereas you can open up with hands like that on the BTN and CO ... checking the BB doesn't contribute to your VPIP so yeah ... but just don't listen and keep your 44% VPIP ......

• edited August 2011
    wow 22% is not a tight range ..... it's more than 1 in 5 hands you're involved in, which is quite a solid amount, if anything it's more on the loose side than tight, there's something up with your knowledge if you think it's too tight i didn't say just open the BTN, i said fold marginals (i.e. J10JQ etc.) in early position, whereas you can open up with hands like that on the BTN and CO ... checking the BB doesn't contribute to your VPIP so yeah ... but just don't listen and keep your 44% VPIP ......
    Posted by percival09
    Ok calm down, no need for the hissy fit!

I was being self deprecating, you know...... Ironic.

Blimey!
  • edited August 2011
    wow 22% is not a tight range ..... it's more than 1 in 5 hands you're involved in, which is quite a solid amount, if anything it's more on the loose side than tight, there's something up with your knowledge if you think it's too tight i didn't say just open the BTN, i said fold marginals (i.e. J10JQ etc.) in early position, whereas you can open up with hands like that on the BTN and CO ... checking the BB doesn't contribute to your VPIP so yeah ... but just don't listen and keep your 44% VPIP ......
    Posted by percival09

If you only played broadway cards and any pair you would be on an 18% range so 22% is pretty tight certainly for 2p 4p.
    Throw in your 67, 78 and 89 suited type hands and you have your 22%
  • edited August 2011
    I don't really think I got into a hissy fit, but ok sorry if you thought that, Z. Just trying to help ...
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : If you only played broadway cards and any pair you would be on an 18% range so 22% is pretty tight certainly for 2p 4p. Throw in your 67, 78 and 89 suited type hands and you have your 22%
    Posted by salazar
    why do you want to be loose at 4NL ? i thought it'd be the opposite ! i don't mind playing those hands on the BTN at 4NL but in all seriousness i'd muck in every other position, maybe that's just me ... 
  • edited August 2011
    DO NOT play suited connectors below QJs there is just no need.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Cash help needed pleasssse : why do you want to be loose at 4NL ? i thought it'd be the opposite ! i don't mind playing those hands on the BTN at 4NL but in all seriousness i'd muck in every other position, maybe that's just me ... 
    Posted by percival09

Compared to the total junk everyone else will be playing at 2p 4p 22% is fine, if Chaper wants to miss the suited connectors out, an 18% range is fine by me at 2p 4p. I think the main thing is to make those fish pay pre flop, if they want to play any junk pre flop, make them pay to play it. go with the 4,5,6x pre and do what percival said, add one for every limper
  • edited August 2011
    Thanks for all the posts. I will have good read and try and aply it.
  • edited August 2011

IMO 22% is way too tight at NL4. The main problem that a lot of NL4 players have is the fact that thay do not have a raise button therefore an experienced player can use this to his advantage and see a lot of flops cheaply. Therefore , knowing the lack of experience at the table, a decent player can pick up some big pots.
      Someone on here started  athread a while ago about calling with any 2 at this level because it is so easy to get paid when you hit, but cheap to get away when you dont.