You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc

2»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc:
    In Response to Re: Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc : In poker, due to the dynamics and vaguaries of the game, it's hard (if not impossible) to calculate a risk of ruin figure. I can see from this example how to calculate a %age of a bankroll on any one table, which isn't the same thing. Is %age of bankroll on the table at any one time the defacto basis for calculating what bankroll is required at any given level to give an acceptable RoR? And what is an acceptable RoR considered to be in hold'em? I've done a lot of these sums for Blackjack, but that's a very different game and frankly one that's a lot easier to analyse. In online poker you can down-level almost to the penny tables to maintain a desired RoR (%age) where in BJ you can't - at some stage bet units will hit the table minimums.
    Posted by Goethe
    No idea about ROR figures as the variance can kill you or make you money.
    Obviously the smaller the percentage of your BR in play at once should reduce the chances of ROR, the higher would increae it.
    So lets say you play with 1% then you will have to run bad 100 buy ins constant.
    You would have to be a really bad player or essentially your running totaly against the fundamental percentages of the game by loosing so many all in situations.
    A bad run can be 10-20 buy ins and alternativley a good run can be the same so......

• edited August 2011
    IVe said it before on here but ive busted numerous 1k+ rolls when i first started winning through bad BRM. It was pretty soul destroying at the time but if youre sure that you can win at some level of poker then there is always a way back.

If youre disciplined(which i wasnt) then a very aggressive bankroll strategy is the way to go. If you have the willpower to take 2 or 3 buyin shots and drop down when you lose then you should do that at all the lower limits upto 100nl i would say. While some people can grind away at 4nl using a 20 or 30 buyin rule it isnt really advisable(some might disagree).
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc:
    In Response to Re: Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc : No idea about ROR figures as the variance can kill you or make you money. Obviously the smaller the percentage of your BR in play at once should reduce the chances of ROR, the higher would increae it. So lets say you play with 1% then you will have to run bad 100 buy ins constant. You would have to be a really bad player or essentially your running totaly against the fundamental percentages of the game by loosing so many all in situations. A bad run can be 10-20 buy ins and alternativley a good run can be the same so......
    Posted by rancid
    Thanks. So, in your experience, what's the chance/frequency of blowing 20 BIs before things turnaround? You'd, say, 20 on the trot every "X" BI's wagered?

As it so happens, when I was playing cash (immediately after I started playing again around 7 months ago) I ended up c20 BIs down, with just 1/2 a per cent of osing lhands being attributable to this. Also, the loss to date is only slightly higher than what I'd been stung for on the rake on my winning hands over the period.
  • edited August 2011
    Cheers Dude and Jams. I am multi-tabling but I'm relatively new to it so doing about 3 tables at the moment just til I get comfortable and can increase that a bit. Plus I hate mini-view so having to try and get used to that. Yeah I just didn't know if because I'm playing 3 tables, if I play 8NL then that means I've got £24 on the table as soon as I sit down which seems like a big chunk of my £200 BR. I guess we're working on the basis that alot of the people at this level are junk so in terms of ups and downs, your downs should be less??
    Posted by Lambert180
    Same i find it harder to remember my reads on people in mini view. Personally i never play more than 4 tables but i think 3 is optimum for me as i can still concentrate on important aspects of all the tables i am playing as i occsionally miss things when i play more stack size of oponant or position it there is a new comer to the table who has posted something that can through you off slightly. Maybe drop it to 2 tables of nl8 then your playing £16 only slightly more that the 12 your playing on 3 tables of nl4? Whatever you decide good luck hope you run well :)
  • edited August 2011
    IVe said it before on here but ive busted numerous 1k+ rolls when i first started winning through bad BRM. It was pretty soul destroying at the time but if youre sure that you can win at some level of poker then there is always a way back. If youre disciplined(which i wasnt) then a very aggressive bankroll strategy is the way to go. If you have the willpower to take 2 or 3 buyin shots and drop down when you lose then you should do that at all the lower limits upto 100nl i would say. While some people can grind away at 4nl using a 20 or 30 buyin rule it isnt really advisable(some might disagree).
    Posted by offshoot
    :-)

Again, thanks. It was the chaps of your calibre I was interested in hearing from.

I'm still not forgiving you for having KK in the BB against my A10 in the button when I'd won free entry into Sunday's high roller and was cruising to a cash. But I guess I'll get over it, lol.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Do pros ever go bust? FAO LOLRAISE, lolu, gliterbabe, ljamesl, brownndog, etc : Thanks. So, in your experience, what's the chance/frequency of blowing 20 BIs before things turnaround? 
    Posted by Goethe

This is almost impossible to answer acccurately, as it depends how good you are for the level you are playing.

A player who is crushing a level may have a 20BI downswing less than once every 12 months.
    An average to good  winning player (say one who is winning 3 -  6 bb's/100 hands) would see this more often.

It can also depend on playing style. A player who plays v.aggro, and plays more hands can have higher variance than a nit.