You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
FAO to opponent if u want your name taken out please say.

Reg is one of the regulars in clinic. Not sure on this hand at all.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
rancid Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £5.20
7lucky7 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.56
 Your hole cards

chrispip Fold     
UKCW Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.98
The_Don90 Call  £0.20 £0.46 £3.78
rancid Call  £0.18 £0.64 £5.02
7lucky7 Fold     
Flop

rancid Bet  £0.68 £1.32 £4.34
UKCW Fold     
The_Don90 Call  £0.68 £2.00 £3.10
Turn

rancid Bet  £1.50 £3.50 £2.84
The_Don90 Call  £1.50 £5.00 £1.60
River

rancid All-in  £2.84 £7.84 £0.00
The_Don90 All-in  £1.60 £9.44 £0.00
rancid Unmatched bet  £1.24 £8.20 £1.24
rancid Show

The_Don90 Show

The_Don90 Win Three 9s £7.58  £7.58

Comments

• edited August 2011

you are drunk or very brave calling that turn and river!

• edited August 2011

when you call the flop call the turn and then hit the 9 on the river even though the board is so draw heavy i think you just have to get it in there and hope your good cant see any reason to fold river when you call 2 streets

on the turn it brings the SFD if you think you are still good there i probably just get it in there instead of flatting and leaving £1.60 behind for the river but imo i fold the turn i just can not think im ever ahead on this type of board

edit: re read what i first wrote and it didnt make much sense so re wrote

• edited August 2011
    im actually pretty drunk tbh. But also that QJ hand playing alot in my head.
  • edited August 2011
    Don't like the flat on the flop. Do you think you're ahead? If so, get some more value and don't let him hit cheap. A good system at 4NL is not to play against good people like Rancid, there's plenty of others out there to get your money off, just fold the flop. If you don't I definitely find a fold on the turn... in Tikay's words it's a soaking flop with a terrible turn. Rancid is a regular and anyone who's a regular knows not to bluff at this level so I can't see there's any way you're ahead here until you get lucky on the river.

P.S. Shocked by your call pre Rancid...higher levels I can understand but not at this level.
  • edited August 2011

Fold turn for me.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4:
    im actually pretty drunk tbh. But also that QJ hand playing alot in my head.
    Posted by The_Don90
    oh my god Don, leave the QJ hand behind. Just stand up, sober up, and don't sit at any more cash tables.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : oh my god Don, leave the QJ hand behind. Just stand up, sober up, and don't sit at any more cash tables.
    Posted by Lambert180
    erm find a player me and say that ;)
  • ybyb
    edited August 2011
    Fold turn for me.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    this

what hands do you think he donks the flop with and what are you still ahead of by the turn?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : this what hands do you think he donks the flop with and what are you still ahead of by the turn?
    Posted by yb
    not alot tbh, but i had a 1 outer if i was behind, lol. no excuses, thats why i posted this hand
  • edited August 2011
      Don if i were you i would take a serious look at this hand again. Remove the result from the end and imagine it was you giving the advice about how to play this hand.

I dont think that you would ever recommend calling all the way down here so ask yourself why you were doing it. Despite winning the hand this example shows a major leak in your game. Think it through because you got over half your stack into the middle with just 1 pair on the wettest board imaginable hoping to hit a miracle card which wouldnt have given you the nuts anyway.

This is the sort of play (despite winning this time) that destroys bankrolls. The turn was the critical part of this hand because this was where you pot committed yourself with very little in the way of a hand. The river plays itself but i really think that you should not have even seen the river card to have this decision.
  • edited August 2011
    P.S. Shocked by your call pre Rancid...higher levels I can understand but not at this level.
    Posted by Lambert180
    emmmmm implied odds are your friend hence the donk lead to get over pair or drawing hands over the line 
    45s premium hand to crack better starting hands with, it's not ABC poker but hey )

Don the other table was fun ) Hope you noted that crazy guy, EZ money
    He always had a hand v me though - :(

this hand well i think it's a fold on the turn, which will be profitable long term

• edited August 2011
    TBH I might just fold the flop facing a pot bet from a REG who clearly isn't betting A6/K6 there and should know he HAS to bet 2pr/set hands for value.

If I did call turn is snap fold.

EDIT : @ rancid - Calling 5x raises OOP wiv 54s ain't good mate, it's 45-1 to flop 2pair and even if you flop draw you're never odds on to hit it, most the time you hit bottom pair no kika.
  • edited August 2011
    TBH I might just fold the flop facing a pot bet from a REG who clearly isn't betting A6/K6 there and should know he HAS to bet 2pr/set hands for value. If I did call turn is snap fold. EDIT : @ rancid - Calling 5x raises OOP wiv 54s ain't good mate, it's 45-1 to flop 2pair and even if you flop draw you're never odds on to hit it, most the time you hit bottom pair no kika.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

I hear you Dude !

I would like to hear what other players think about my pre call with 45s

Bad/good

I am either stacking someone or not so… speculative yes – bad I am not so sure as long as you fold flops where your not hitting 2pr/SD/FD

• edited August 2011
    I don't like it myself. Against better players I definitely like playing suited connectors like this because you are more likely to get their stack because your hand is disguised...but at this level, you can quite often get someone's stack when you play AK and hit an A or a K so I just don't think it's worth the long shot, when alot of people stack off so light.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : erm find a player me and say that ;)
    Posted by The_Don90
    I was tempted to Find a Player you before you'd said anything but despite you making a few basic errors there are people who are a million times worse than you at this level. Which is why I honestly can't understand why you can't beat it. Obviously we can't look at just you're last 2 sessions, see they're losing sessions, and say you're a losing player aty 4NL. It's no big deal to have 2 losing sessions and to be fair both times you lost very little, so just stick at it and I'm sure you could have your BR up to £50 within a week or so.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : I hear you Dude ! I would like to hear what other players think about my pre call with 45s Bad/good   I am either stacking someone or not so… speculative yes – bad I am not so sure as long as you fold flops where your not hitting 2pr/SD/FD
    Posted by rancid
    Well as ya know dude is a very solid player and i would expect him to fold 45s virtually every single time BUT i play my cash poker (profitably as well) a bit like ureself rancid and very much like to vary my range of hands to stop players from reading my startin hands and dont mind ya call at all as long as ya dont do it too often ;))

As for don's hand its a clear fold on the turn every time in this sort of spot xx
  • edited August 2011
    i think flop is probably a fold w/o more reads

def fold 45s pre

unsure if i like turn bet either!
  • edited August 2011
    i think flop is probably a fold w/o more reads def fold 45s pre unsure if i like turn bet either!
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Hi lol_raise , are ya sayin thats at this specific level OR at all levels ? i play nl10 mostly BUT have had a few sessions at nl20 / nl30 lately and i see this type of hand played pretty often xx
  • edited August 2011
    you def have to fold the turn - he's never overbet donking into two players weak - you could fold the flop readless
  • edited August 2011

raise button pre to isolate original raiser is a must imo!!, as played fold turn.

edit: just realized oppo raise 5x suppose you can just flat, But for me i stick to what i said, raise on that button all day long! with a strong hand aiming to play a donk heads up!

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : I hear you Dude ! I would like to hear what other players think about my pre call with 45s Bad/good   I am either stacking someone or not so… speculative yes – bad I am not so sure as long as you fold flops where your not hitting 2pr/SD/FD
    Posted by rancid
    Therefore you're basically bleeding money and sorry but this is fish play mate.

OOP also makes it worse, IP on btn facing minraise I might think about it sat VERY deep but a 5x raise is a lot and you keep doing this in SB you are setting fire to money, at higher levels I often see the GOD (yes God not good lol) players (lolufold, LOL_RAISE, etc) 3bet with these hands as they can take it down pre or have a disguised hand on the flop and also betting lead so can cbet most flops.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : Hi lol_raise , are ya sayin thats at this specific level OR at all levels ? i play nl10 mostly BUT have had a few sessions at nl20 / nl30 lately and i see this type of hand played pretty often xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    its too weak to call out of the blinds with because your out of position and will have to make some tough flop and turn calls when you hit a piece of the flop but not enough to feel confident in your hand. At higher levels you can turn your hand into a bluff when you miss or 3bet it pre so theres other ways to make the play profitable but at nl4 its not the best idea to be trying to bluff people, as is shown in this hand.

Also as a general rule dont do what other people do at those levels. Everyone at nl20/30 has leaks and probably play way too many hands.
  • edited August 2011
    i think flop is probably a fold w/o more reads def fold 45s pre unsure if i like turn bet either!
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Yeah the turn bet looks a bit fishy by me as yeah maybe I am only getting called by a hand that’s beating me right?My perspective:

Pre - I got Don on a range of mid-high pr’s or two broad way cards

So I call loosely to maybe I can get his stack if the right flop comes down –

My flop - I bet flop slightly bigger than pot to get chips in against anyone with a draw/over pair,

When Don calls the flop donk bet I can rule out the draw, he is a decent player and would not pay that much to draw would he :s . I think he would just fold or shove with a draw

Good or bad to think this? We are not greater than 100BB’s so a call with a draw here I don’t think he would do this – there are plenty of players at NL4 who would pay pt or > to draw so I am betting for value 100% while I am ahead

So when the turn fills the flush I am not bothered as I don’t think he is drawing–

I bet turn for value and to get him in deeper for the river shove or maybe he will shove on me as a bluff

I really expected to see a fold or semi bluff shove here

On the river I am c/c anyway as I have gone this far so I just shove

Please tell me if this is good or bad

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : Yeah the turn bet looks a bit fishy by me as yeah maybe I am only getting called by a hand that’s beating me right? My perspective: Pre - I got Don on a range of mid-high pr’s or two broad way cards So I call loosely to maybe I can get his stack if the right flop comes down – My flop - I bet flop slightly bigger than pot to get chips in against anyone with a draw/over pair, When Don calls the flop donk bet I can rule out the draw, he is a decent player and would not pay that much to draw would he :s . I think he would just fold or shove with a draw Good or bad to think this? We are not greater than 100BB’s so a call with a draw here I don’t think he would do this – there are plenty of players at NL4 who would pay pt or /> to draw so I am betting for value 100% while I am ahead   So when the turn fills the flush I am not bothered as I don’t think he is drawing– I bet turn for value and to get him in deeper for the river shove or maybe he will shove on me as a bluff I really expected to see a fold or semi bluff shove here   On the river I am c/c anyway as I have gone this far so I just shove   Please tell me if this is good or bad
    Posted by rancid
    The one flaw is with something say A8/7cc (not that id call there pre) id pay your stack as my price for my draws.

However as u correctly said the flop bet screems stremnth to me at this level, howevere i think the alohol spoke a little. I was confident you didnt have clubs when u continued on turn so i felt i had a double draw to hit. The river hitting my set was lucky but clubs and 8s i felt were live too.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : Therefore you're basically bleeding money and sorry but this is fish play mate. OOP also makes it worse, IP on btn facing minraise I might think about it sat VERY deep but a 5x raise is a lot and you keep doing this in SB you are setting fire to money, at higher levels I often see the GOD (yes God not good lol) players (lolufold, LOL_RAISE, etc) 3bet with these hands as they can take it down pre or have a disguised hand on the flop and also betting lead so can cbet most flops.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Ok Dude, calm – tight is right 100% agree – ABC – bet for value – got ya )I would not advise playing like this with 45s OOP v 2 –But sometimes you got to gamble and speculative loose calls like this are probably a very small percentage of my starting hands – honest )I do think though this could be a leak in my game as it’s a bit spewy calling like this.  But like Offshoot mentioned in his post about getting into bad spots, I don’t get attached to five high flops – I can easily fold these :)

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : Ok Dude, calm – tight is right 100% agree – ABC – bet for value – got ya ) I would not advise playing like this with 45s OOP v 2 –But sometimes you got to gamble and speculative loose calls like this are probably a very small percentage of my starting hands – honest )I do think though this could be a leak in my game as it’s a bit spewy calling like this.   But like Offshoot mentioned in his post about getting into bad spots, I don’t get attached to five high flops – I can easily fold these :)
    Posted by rancid
    Exactly most the time you hit 5 high flops or even worse so long term you're just losing money, you say sometimes you got to 'gamble', 'specualte with loose calls' this is madness at NL4

Like LOL_RAISE said you play these out the blinds by 3betting i.e bluffing/raising light but at NL4 there is ZERO need to do it lol
  • edited August 2011
    i dont think that calling 45s oop for a 5x raise is profitable at any level w/o expert soul reads
  • edited August 2011

Don, prob fold flop, defo fold turn, even river call marginal imo

Rancid, fold pre, prob check turn, why on earth are you betting river?

• edited August 2011
    Rancid, fold pre, prob check turn, why on earth are you betting river?
    Posted by grantorino

fold pre - yes ofc 98% of the time I fold here :S don't you start i know it's loose and spewy
    turn - i trust my read, all value
    river - i trust my read and i am not c/f

read my previous post - from my perspectiive

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Top set Very Wet board v reg. NL4 : fold pre - yes ofc 98% of the time I fold here :S don't you start i know it's loose and spewy turn - i trust my read, all value river - i trust my read and i am not c/f read my previous post - from my perspectiive
    Posted by rancid
    What worse hands can don call with on river?