You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

LOL - Can someone please explain??

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
I never post beats but this does take the biscuit!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CHADINO Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £18.25
GEE_BURT Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £76.92
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

BRETTY427 Call  £0.50 £1.25 £48.58
jenars Fold     
bollie Fold     
phil12uk Raise  £1.50 £2.75 £47.75
CHADINO Raise  £2.25 £5.00 £16.00
GEE_BURT Fold     
BRETTY427 Fold     
phil12uk Raise  £5.00 £10.00 £42.75
CHADINO Call  £4.00 £14.00 £12.00
Flop

CHADINO All-in  £12.00 £26.00 £0.00
phil12uk Call  £12.00 £38.00 £30.75
Turn

River

CHADINO Show

phil12uk Muck
  • A
  • A

CHADINO Win Flush to the 10 £36.20  £36.20

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Got to be a first mate, even for here. 3 4 off, just beyond comprehension.

All in on a gut shot or running flush.

The initial raise beggars belief but after the flop he surely was buying, hoping you had AK or AQ and had completely missed.

Never mind mate, these players soon lose their roll and end up reloading.

See it as he is saving your cash for you till next time!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to LOL - Can someone please explain??:
    I never post beats but this does take the biscuit! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance CHADINO Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £18.25 GEE_BURT Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £76.92   Your hole cards A A       BRETTY427 Call   £0.50 £1.25 £48.58 jenars Fold         bollie Fold         phil12uk Raise   £1.50 £2.75 £47.75 CHADINO Raise   £2.25 £5.00 £16.00 GEE_BURT Fold         BRETTY427 Fold         phil12uk Raise   £5.00 £10.00 £42.75 CHADINO Call   £4.00 £14.00 £12.00 Flop     9 6 2       CHADINO All-in   £12.00 £26.00 £0.00 phil12uk Call   £12.00 £38.00 £30.75 Turn     9       River     10       CHADINO Show 3 4       phil12uk Muck A A       CHADINO Win Flush to the 10 £36.20   £36.20 Prev Close window Next
    Posted by phil12uk
    URE RIGHT THAT BEGGERS BELIEF VERY SOZ FOR U M8,TROUBLE IS THIS IS APPENIN LOADS LATELY AND ITS HARD 2 KNOW WHAT A GD HAND IS ANYMORE.GL M8
  • edited October 2009
    listen - i will say this only once - you were beaten by a better player
    listen - i will say this only once - you came 2nd lol
  • edited October 2009
    Nothing wrong with his post-flop play although his pre-flop play was a tad "creative".
  • edited October 2009
    A tad creative, LOL.

Need to remember that when it happens to me.

They always say any 2 cards etc. etc. but this guy must bleed cash if he plays this hand like that more often than once a year.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to LOL - Can someone please explain??:
    I never post beats but this does take the biscuit! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance CHADINO Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £18.25 GEE_BURT Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £76.92   Your hole cards A A       BRETTY427 Call   £0.50 £1.25 £48.58 jenars Fold         bollie Fold         phil12uk Raise   £1.50 £2.75 £47.75 CHADINO Raise   £2.25 £5.00 £16.00 GEE_BURT Fold         BRETTY427 Fold         phil12uk Raise   £5.00 £10.00 £42.75 CHADINO Call   £4.00 £14.00 £12.00 Flop     9 6 2       CHADINO All-in   £12.00 £26.00 £0.00 phil12uk Call   £12.00 £38.00 £30.75 Turn     9       River     10       CHADINO Show 3 4       phil12uk Muck A A       CHADINO Win Flush to the 10 £36.20   £36.20 Prev Close window Next
    Posted by phil12uk
    that is horrible phil, so sick it makes you wanna scream.
  • edited October 2009
    OMG!

Speechless, I was done by the mighty 2 5 off last night.
  • edited October 2009
    pure sick sick and more sick i feel your pain m8 ,

but he wont get that lucky again 2 soon ,

no way hes in profit in the long game ul again ,

but keep your game the same and move on .
  • edited October 2009
    Aw, come on folks, if this is the worst beat that Phil has had recently then he has had a charmed life.

The 34 was 22.22% after the flop so it's hardly astronomical odds.
    OK, it looks sick because it was a runner runner terrible flush but it's all included in the 22.22%.

If the other guy had KhKd and sucked out with a two-outer king would we be so disgusted?
    The KhKd would have been 8.38% after that flop so, odds-wise, a much worse beat.
  • edited October 2009
    Not so much the percentage of his hand, not disputing that at all.

It's just purely the cards he chose to commit his stack to that is beyond comprehension.

You know yourself that long term, no way is 4 3 off profitable. Surely 60% of the time you will end up playing the board.

let me know with 3 4 off what are the odds of playing the board?
  • edited October 2009
    That's inexplicable poker. Mere will try and defend most plays. I can't be as placid as that, even though I should be. That was rotten poker, and he does not win in the long run, simple as that
  • edited October 2009
    I don't think it's the bad beat element of this that Phil is griping about, it's the wholly illogical play of his opponent
  • edited October 2009
    as said flop is standard.  in fact he played flop well considering there is a chance he has some FE if you're holding AK.

but yeah I know the villain in the hand, he plays lol all the time like that so just note it up...
  • edited October 2009
    OK, I'll play devil's advocate.

None of the comments above are made by people who know what the table dynamics were.
    Let's say Phil has been raising a fair bit, then a minimum re-raise of his opening raise is used by many people to indicate extreme strength. (I'm not saying that it is great play but a lot of people do it). The opponent may have hoped that Phil would fold although we all known that this is extremely unlikely. Once Phil 4-bets then we can probably all agree that fold is the best option - but we don't always choose the best option. He may have decided that Phil is on AK/AQ and that he's going to see a flop and if there are no high card on it, he's going to push (which is what he did).

I just want to add, in order to make myself even more unpopular, that it is very wrong to post hands like this without the opponent's name being removed.
    The result of this is to clearly try to embarrass the opponent and this is absolutely unacceptable in my book. Before anyone says that this thread wasn't meant to be critical of the opponent, look at the title "LOL - Can someone please explain??".
    We all make dubious plays and many of us seem quick to criticise other players.

I'm not going to post any more on this thread because it really doesn't merit it.
    My hope is that the moderators will remove it.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain??:
    I don't think it's the bad beat element of this that Phil is griping about, it's the wholly illogical play of his opponent
    Posted by darich
    so why moan about it?  thats why we have BRs so we can ride the variance when our AA gets beat by 34 runner runner flush.

i mean tis not even a big pot either in BB terms.

• edited October 2009
    Thanks guys for feeback.  I posted it in a kinda shocked state, not on the loss because as Scotty said, its not for a huge amount.  Mere - it's only the 2nd hand Ive ever posted and it's not mean to embarass the guy - I never even thought about changing his alias.  I agree that post flop its gonna get through if I have AK/AQ but I was just flabberghasted with the reraise pre and then the call of the re-reraise pre.  The runner runner flush was simply the icing on the cake!

At the end of the day, we want these calls all day long when holding Aces so it's not a gripe as such.  Just a sick, sick outcome :)

Now to try and win it back today!!!
  • edited October 2009

I have to largely agree with Mere and Scotty.

Although it looks terrible at first glance, what people should not forget, is that this is cash.

If the above play had been carried out by Hansen or Antonius, we would all be discussing their "higher level" of thinking.

For example, that monster hand recently between Antonius and the online pro where Antonius ended up calling on the river with king high (and winning), could only have been played between either two of the best or worst players in the world. (Incidently, that pot was over $300k).

Now I accept it is almost certain that the villain here is not a pro, however the above still stands.

This is the difference between cash and tournament poker. Many more "creative" (experts will even call them sophisticated) plays can be justified, and if you play cash, you have to accept that you will run into them more frequently than in tournaments, and thus the suck outs will look that much worse when they do happen like above.

• edited October 2009

Oh yeah, and you've got nothing to worry about Phil, I'm sure you're going to win it back and then some. 8- />
  • edited October 2009

Hi Merenovice, I did actually put in my original post that the all in push was to represent strength hoping Phil has a big ace and had totally missed.

I still cannot see how or why he tried to protect his small blind with a hand like 4 3 off and am still looking at you for what the probabilities are that with 3 4 off you are playing the board.

The ratio of playing the board would actually tell me whar percentage a hand like this is impossible to win with as by playing the board, the best he can possibly hope for is a split pot.

Information like this can actually prove useful to anyone here for future reference as during bubble play on a DYM I myself have found myself in the BB with hands like this after a shove by a relative shortie. Now my usual thinking is any 2 cards etc. but if the odds are highly stacked that I would only end up playing the board then Is it worth even putting a few chips into a pot to try and get rid of a micro stack?

• edited October 2009

Hi Hale, I don't think he was trying to "protect" his small blind.

He just tried out a funky play with the min raise which in his position would look like super strength, it just so happened that Phil had the pilots.

Totally imo of course. 8- />
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain?? : HEAR HEAR.....The self-proclaimed so called better players on the site are always quick to sl ag off plays and players when they're not aware of all the facts,and if the object of the thread IS to embarass the player then as far as i'm concerned it didn't work because if it was me i would be laughing my head off.
    Posted by igimc
    Hello Igimc,
    Knowing Phil, it would not be his intention to embarass any player, but i take Vince's point about deleting the opponents name.
    If someone posts a hand and asks peoples opinions then we are doing so, by nature, without the full information of table dynamics etc(even Vince described the play preflop as creative), then we can only offer our opinions.
    I have yet to see any of the so called villians post their thoughts on those hands. It would be nice to see their take on the hand, but i doubt many people would do it.
    Before you come back at me, I dont class myself as one of the better players on the site, but i do have a (main) style that can offer a possible different view of hands(without trying to sl ag off anyone).
    In my humble opinion, it would have been nice for you to have put your thoughts on the play and not just rant about how people are trying to have a go and embarass others. These comments are the type to inflame situations and having read some of your other posts, you do make some very good points.
    I have said this to other players on this forum as i have seen these get out of control.

col
    ps if you look at what we have in front of us, most players would agree that to call the reraise with that hand is, in the long run not a PROFITABLE play.

• edited October 2009
    Thanks guys for feeback.  I posted it in a kinda shocked state, not on the loss because as Scotty said, its not for a huge amount.  Mere - it's only the 2nd hand Ive ever posted and it's not mean to embarass the guy - I never even thought about changing his alias.  I agree that post flop its gonna get through if I have AK/AQ but I was just flabberghasted with the reraise pre and then the call of the re-reraise pre.  The runner runner flush was simply the icing on the cake! At the end of the day, we want these calls all day long when holding Aces so it's not a gripe as such.  Just a sick, sick outcome :) Now to try and win it back today!!!
    Posted by phil12uk
    I'll refer you back to m previous comment Igimic
  • edited October 2009

Hi Guys,

As a matter of decency & etiquette when Posting these "OMG" hands & situations, the done thing is to remove the name of the villain.

I know Phil meant no malice - he's not that sort of guy - but if the Villain reads this Thread, the Players, & the Site, will both be losers, because the Villain will go play poker elsewhere.

And none of us want that, now do we?

Bellyache all you like about his play, but don't drive him away - please. He's our profit.

• edited October 2009
    So for future reference we must change the culprits name to Villain?

What if it's Orford? :)
  • edited October 2009
    So for future reference we must change the culprits name to Villain? What if it's Orford? :)
    Posted by phil12uk
    Yes, change it to "Villain" - or "Orford". It's the same thing.

We'll assume it's Orford anyway. ;)
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Guys, As a matter of decency & etiquette when Posting these "OMG" hands & situations, the done thing is to remove the name of the villain. I know Phil meant no malice - he's not that sort of guy - but if the Villain reads this Thread, the Players, & the Site, will both be losers, because the Villain will go play poker elsewhere. And none of us want that, now do we? Bellyache all you like about his play, but don't drive him away - please. He's our profit.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Originally tikay, I did post a slightly deflammatory post here but removed it within 10 minutes as I felt it crossed certain boundaries.

My remaining posts only contain questions which I still feel are relevant and fair to this discussion. I never have a wish to offend anyone here but I still feel that the all in post flop was not the worse play in the world as obviously missing the flop in the way he did, then the only way to win the pot is to represent extreme strength, which is what the player did.

My only real gripe is that the player commited all his stack on a hand that should not even be considered playable in any position let alone the SB, which considered by many to be the worse place to be in post flop.

But maybe that should not be a gripe, but more of an opportunity.........
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain?? : Originally tikay, I did post a slightly deflammatory post here but removed it within 10 minutes as I felt it crossed certain boundaries. My remaining posts only contain questions which I still feel are relevant and fair to this discussion. I never have a wish to offend anyone here but I still feel that the all in post flop was not the worse play in the world as obviously missing the flop in the way he did, then the only way to win the pot is to represent extreme strength, which is what the player did. My only real gripe is that the player commited all his stack on a hand that should not even be considered playable in any position let alone the SB, which considered by many to be the worse place to be in post flop. But maybe that should not be a gripe, but more of an opportunity.........
    Posted by Hale72
    Thanks Hale - my Post was not aimed at anyone specifically, certainly not you.

The play was certainly "creative", but give me a table full of creative players, & they may send me dizzy, but I'll take them on every day.

It always amuses me to watch the early stages of  Deepie - all the dancers bluffing & showing, which is the daftest thing in daft-ville at that stage of a deepie. They rarely last unil the first break, & I take smug satisfaction from that, to be honest! Oddly, it does not happen  - not at all - in the 7.30 22 quid Deepie, where we often reach the first break without a single exit. The standard of play in that is scarily good, & a credit to the Sky Poker players.

Oh, & have a good weekend.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain?? : Thanks Hale - my Post was not aimed at anyone specifically, certainly not you. The play was certainly "creative", but give me a table full of creative players, & they may send me dizzy, but I'll take them on every day. It always amuses me to watch the early stages of  Deepie - all the dancers bluffing & showing, which is the daftest thing in daft-ville at that stage of a deepie. They rarely last unil the first break, & I take smug satisfaction from that, to be honest! Oddly, it does not happen  - not at all - in the 7.30 22 quid Deepie, where we often reach the first break without a single exit. The standard of play in that is scarily good, & a credit to the Sky Poker players. Oh, & have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    to be fair,the 7:30 deepie has less than 20 runners, and no nutters in it like me lol however i bet you lose at least 1 and my guess is 3 players before the 1st break
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain?? : to be fair,the 7:30 deepie has less than 20 runners, and no nutters in it like me lol however i bet you lose at least 1 and my guess is 3 players before the 1st break
    Posted by loonytoons
    10 minutes gone and we,ve lost 1 from 16.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: LOL - Can someone please explain?? : Thanks Hale - my Post was not aimed at anyone specifically, certainly not you. The play was certainly "creative", but give me a table full of creative players, & they may send me dizzy, but I'll take them on every day. It always amuses me to watch the early stages of  Deepie - all the dancers bluffing & showing, which is the daftest thing in daft-ville at that stage of a deepie. They rarely last unil the first break, & I take smug satisfaction from that, to be honest! Oddly, it does not happen  - not at all - in the 7.30 22 quid Deepie, where we often reach the first break without a single exit. The standard of play in that is scarily good, & a credit to the Sky Poker players. Oh, & have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks big K, I genuinly would love to take part in a deepie, but as I have posted on another thread, I have serious time constraints in the evening. Oh, how I long for the days when a deepie is available between 9-5.