You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly.

Comments

• edited August 2011

Ok, so when you've established that you're very likely to have the best hand, you need to do 2 things...

1) get paid for it

2) protect it

How to get paid depends on what sort of hands we think our opponent has.

In this hand, it's likely that our opponent has a strong made hand, like pocket threes, 2 pair, or a pair and a flush draw, something like AJ, with the jack of hearts. Or just a flush draw, such as the Ace or King of hearts.

So if we raise, or shove, will our opponent call us with a worse hand than the 1 we have?

If we raise, will he fold 2 pair? a set? nut flush draw? I don't think he will @ nl4....

In this case, he certainly will call with all the hands I've mentioned above, so therefore we can bet for value and protection.

---------

Another scenario would be if we have AA and the flop comes A 7 2 with no flush draws....

Our opponent bets into us.

On this board, we don't need to protect our hand. We aren't scared of any turn cards.

It's also hard for us to get value at this stage. If we raise here, what sort of hands can call us?

Pocket 2's, pocket 7s, and that's about it, as we hold all the aces!!!

So raising here most times isn't going to work, as there are very few hands that out opponent can call with. Only 22 and 77.

-----------

So you need to assess the texture of the board before deciding what's the best way to get paid.

When Lucy open jams her Aces pre flop, she's almost never gonna get paid, because there's only 1 potential hand that can call her! That's KK!

• edited August 2011
    nice explanation jj, but surley anything lower than  q k a of hearts is goona fold when building it slowly may keep a wider range  in
  • edited August 2011

There's no point keeping hands in that are never going to give us value unless they go ahead of us.

I would say the range he continues with is quite wide on this flop, if he folds, he folds. But missing out on value from like big draws and big made hands, in the hope of squeezing abit of value from weak flush draws is probably a mistake!

Don't be scared to lose your customer! ;)

Btw, if u can catch a repeat of last nights primo Scotty explained this alot better than I have, with actual hands examples in front of him.
  • edited August 2011
    JJ we discussed this privatley and i said a sshove i felt was wrong for the pot. You said £1.74 instead.

So ok Don raises to £1.74 and 3 get 3 callers.

Turn 9 of hearts. How do we play from here.
  • edited August 2011
    this ones springs to mind jj. standard 3/4 bet, but as soon as i did it i realised it was too much. had i put a smaller bet in here i woulda kept him in (bad k im thinkinpod1Small blind £0.15£0.15£42.23GREENIENO_Big blind £0.30£0.45£34.30 Your hole cards910   oldrectoryRaise £0.90£1.35£27.75haidyboyCall £0.90£2.25£29.45idgeFold    DODGY65Fold    pod1Call £0.75£3.00£41.48GREENIENO_Call £0.60£3.60£33.70Flop  105K   pod1Bet £3.60£7.20£37.88GREENIENO_Fold    oldrectoryCall £3.60£10.80£24.15haidyboyFold    Turn  10   pod1Bet £8.10£18.90£29.78oldrectoryFold    pod1Muck    pod1Win £10.26 £40.04pod1Return £8.10£0.54£48.14PrevClose windowg. been on table with him for 3 hrs)
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly.:
    JJ we discussed this privatley and i said a sshove i felt was wrong for the pot. You said £1.74 instead. So ok Don raises to £1.74 and 3 get 3 callers. Turn 9 of hearts. How do we play from here.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I still like a shove, but making it 1.74 is better than flatting imo.

If I make it 1.74 and the turn brings a flush, I would swear.

Hope to get a free card.

If he shoves, it's a maths calculation, which I can't do. Probably a fold though.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly.:
    JJ we discussed this privatley and i said a sshove i felt was wrong for the pot. You said £1.74 instead. So ok Don raises to £1.74 and 3 get 3 callers. Turn 9 of hearts. How do we play from here.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I agree with this and couldnt disagree with Doh more in this scenario.

We arent talking about thinking players who care about the money, we get 3bet on flop with 8h flush draw for goodness sake.

We cant protect our hand against people who dont care.  But equally trying to extract maximum value here is a tad kamikaze.

If we were playing NL50/100/200 I'd be more aligned with your POV Doh, but people will not fold here (as seen) so I dont think we should be playing our hand quite so ambitiously
  • edited August 2011
    We have the best hand most of the time so we are raising for value.

We don't want them to fold worse hands than the 1 we have.

The turn will be a heart 18% of the time, probably much less considering it's highly likely our short stacked opponents are also holding some of his outs.

That is not a big % of the time, so we can happily get the rest of our money in on most turns.

Still prefer a shove though, because I agree that they are unlikely to fold. (which is a good thing)

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : I still like a shove, but making it 1.74 is better than flatting imo. If I make it 1.74 and the turn brings a flush, I would swear. Hope to get a free card. If he shoves, it's a maths calculation, which I can't do. Probably a fold though.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Line I take here is truly going to be flatting through streets to see if I can fill up cheap.  A whole host of hands will get it in here against us that we only have a marginal edge vs for stacks off flop.

It is perfectly reasonable to suspect 1 opponent has a flush already.  I dont love racing A2/A4 of hearts either.

Being 5 way I am happier to keep everyone in a fillup dirt cheap.  Dont have to win or lose a big pot here.  Can pot control.

Raising denies us the opportunity to improme to 5's full multiway which wont be seen.  I hate the Idea of making it 1.74 to fold turn.  Also I believe whoever calls the 1.74 will hold out til river so its pretty moot.
  • edited August 2011

He could have a flush, but "our equity against his stack off range is sufficient to get the money in on the flop and show a profit over time, especially given the dead money in the pot."

If you agree with me about the above statement, then we can agree to disagree on all the other things.

If you disagree with the above, I'd like you to point out where I have gone wrong/over-estimated how wide his stack off range is on this flop.

Any theories about playing a lower variance style, brm considerations, or whatever are irrelevant imo, but you have your own ideas about that.

• edited August 2011
    i do agree with your above statement, and yes over time you would/could/should be profitable. what i am saying its the manor in which it is down. "you dont go rabbit shotting with a machine gun"
  • edited August 2011
    I agree that both lines are fine.

I have tried to remove 60/40 flips from my game.  I agree that a shove here does have the potential to be profitable over time, but I dont agree that we have to take this route.

I think its a tad cavalier making these spots auto stack offs.  To just blindly forge ahead and be happy getting it in here is reckless IMO.

Sure we can do it.  But we dont have to is my point.  I'm not saying I fold either.  It would be dynamic/stack dependant.  But I would rather keep this pot managable and under my control.  Just as jamming here is potentially profitable, an argument can easily be made for keeping it multiway and filling up on value then extrecting value from the field, but equally losing the min vs opponents who wont even considor folding when not filling.  So we trade the marginal edge getting it on flop vs maybe 1 opponent with made flush, Ah or Kh, for the significant value of keeping it multiway managing the pot with 3/1 to fillup.  Both lines being profitable.

Am simply advocating that we dont have to get it in when we flop a set on such a threatening board limped multiway.
  • edited August 2011
    Jesus Christ, how has this thread got so many posts you have the BLOODY NUTS DON on that flop get your stack in the middle for Christ sake....

Amy seriously people DO NOT think at this level they barely look at their own hand, they load up their 2/4 quid, limp EVERY hand and basically generate rake for Sky Poker, I'll just reiterate they DO NOT think, and one more time they DO NOT think, phew.
  • edited August 2011
    i think nl 4 sounds very scarey. i think i would rather play dym and the thought of that makes me gag x
  • edited August 2011
    i think nl 4 sounds very scarey. i think i would rather play dym and the thought of that makes me gag x
    Posted by pod1
    I love this.

Why would you want to play GOOD players who KNOW how to play and can 3bet you light pre, float you, basically out play you. If I could play the same players at NL4 but for NL100 stakes I would be in heaven.
  • edited August 2011
    hehe, your right. your arguement falls down though at the point that you think players at nl30 are much better than those at nl4. sat there for 3 hrs today on 1 table (other things going on as well) and i had over a dozen players sit down with between £3 and £9.99. for about an hour myself and haidyboy were the only 2 players with full stacks. ok i only made £80 on that table in a long period of time but i think it woulda taken a tad longer at nl4!
  • edited August 2011
    Jesus Christ, how has this thread got so many posts you have the BLOODY NUTS DON on that flop get your stack in the middle for Christ sake.... Amy seriously people DO NOT think at this level they barely look at their own hand, they load up their 2/4 quid, limp EVERY hand and basically generate rake for Sky Poker, I'll just reiterate they DO NOT think, and one more time they DO NOT think, phew.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Exactly and thats my point.  If you think this is a good spot to go allin vs multiple opponents who'll call that bet with raggy hearts then be my guest.  The math is very bad.  Plus don doesnt even have the best hand here, and when he does he only has a 12% edgefor a hugely disproportionate pot when called.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : Exactly and thats my point.  If you think this is a good spot to go allin vs multiple opponents who'll call that bet with raggy hearts then be my guest.  The math is very bad.  Plus don doesnt even have the best hand here, and when he does he only has a 10% for a hugely disproportionate pot when called.
    Posted by AMYBR
    You keep saying this, and I really don't understand.

Were getting better than even money, and we're odds on to win the hand.

How is this bad?
  • edited August 2011
    hehe, your right. your arguement falls down though at the point that you think players at nl30 are much better than those at nl4. sat there for 3 hrs today on 1 table (other things going on as well) and i had over a dozen players sit down with between £3 and £9.99. for about an hour myself and haidyboy were the only 2 players with full stacks. ok i only made £80 on that table in a long period of time but i think it woulda taken a tad longer at nl4!
    Posted by pod1
    Well that's fairly obvious with the vast difference in stakes but doesn't mean players at NL4 are any worse than NL30 and they would probably do the same hoovering up of shorties sat with £1-2 stacks with the same if not better efficency as you.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : Exactly and thats my point.  If you think this is a good spot to go allin vs multiple opponents who'll call that bet with raggy hearts then be my guest.  The math is very bad.  Plus don doesnt even have the best hand here, and when he does he only has a 10% for a hugely disproportionate pot when called.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Results orientated poker FTW wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : You keep saying this, and I really don't understand. Were getting better than even money, and we're odds on to win the hand. How is this bad?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I did type this out in detail but wouldnt go up.

So to simplify:  Pot size and stacksize vs likely equity in hand when called aiof.  Were generating a huge pot with 1 BB invested when a stacked caller can have as much as 39.6% equity in the hand (that we know are hugely unlikely to fold).  Plus we are also dealing with a variety of stack sizes that have left themselves very little FE.

Dont now about you but I'm not happy shifting 100+ bigs across the line with 1bb invested with a 10% edge
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : I did type this out in detail but wouldnt go up. So to simplify:  Pot size and stacksize vs likely equity in hand when called aiof.  Were generating a huge pot with 1 BB invested when a stacked caller can have as much as 39.6% equity in the hand (that we know are hugely unlikely to fold).  Plus we are also dealing with a variety of stack sizes that have left themselves very little FE. Dont now about you but I'm not happy shifting 100+ bigs across the line with 1bb invested with a 10% edge
    Posted by AMYBR
    Why? It's not a tournament, we shouldn't be risk averse in +ev spots, assuming we're playing within our bankroll.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Massive pot. Limped pre. Monotone flop and turn with set. Played correctly. : I did type this out in detail but wouldnt go up. So to simplify:  Pot size and stacksize vs likely equity in hand when called aiof.  Were generating a huge pot with 1 BB invested when a stacked caller can have as much as 39.6% equity in the hand (that we know are hugely unlikely to fold).  Plus we are also dealing with a variety of stack sizes that have left themselves very little FE. Dont now about you but I'm not happy shifting 100+ bigs across the line with 1bb invested with a 10% edge
    Posted by AMYBR
    You have a set on the flop and you are wanting to fold, do you only get it in with the nuts ?
  • edited August 2011
    When did I say I'd fold?  I never said that, I said we shouldnt be so cavalier about making this an auto stack off given our investment and likely equity of opponents calling range.

I actually said that I'd take a reserved line looking to fillup on value multiway and extract value from the field when filling up.

If we were playing against opponents that could fold a flush draw I would be looking to be seriously more aggro, but they wont, so whats the point?

Doh, yes I agree it is slightly risk averse.  But tat is a large slice of my game.  There alot of easier spots than this.  I've never advocated fold.  I've advocated caution.  We get it in on flop here were likely 60/40 or <30/70.  We dont have to make this a huge pot.  Am happy letting a card come off at these stakes as we are likely calling when getting 3bet jammed on.  We can protect our hand at turn when fields odds are halved while giving ourselves a chance to improve cheaply and gaining value from the other 4 seats.

I personally dont like getting the money in on flop.  I'm not saying its wrong.  Am simply saying there are numerous ways to skin a cat while managing variance.
  • edited August 2011
    agree with amybr on this one

• edited August 2011

shoving on flop all day, folding to turn

your odds are slightly better of hitting full house if you shove flop and get called by ready made flush.

get it in on flop save the hastle

• edited August 2011
    I think most of you guys are giving these players at NL4 too much credit.
    Looks like you applying your own limit thinking to this kind of situation.

Up the limits you can play with caution and but in all honestly playing passive on this flop
    with a set seems like bad play.

You could play it looking for a safe turn card and maybe it's a more safe route looking for a better percentage spot.
    But if a safe card comes how do you get all the money in the middle from a draw when infact you
    will have to play the turn passive. The guy with the big heart draw will sureley get it in on the flop with better odds than go ahead on turn faciing a chunky bet. The bet you make on the turn in itself will have to extract some value and make it marginal enough so they call, you want them to call right? Your not giving away free river cards are you. So maybe we are beat already but hey we are only taking ourselves to value town on river or on flop either you play it right ?

Heart come on turn, are we c/f this spot ?

• ybyb
    edited August 2011
    amybr if you tell me what you think a realistic range for the villain is i'll stove it, but we have absolutely huge equity against a range of flushes/bottom set/2 pair/ pair + fd/nfd etc.

if we assume that you are correct and don has 60% equity, then to not want to get stacks in when he's going to be getting much much better than evens on his money is just stupid imo
  • edited August 2011
    Am simply talking about managing variance vs a host of players who have no intention of folding a flush draw.  We dont know that they all have a heart, it being NL4 they are all likely going nuts with random junk.  Never said I'd fold, never said I wouldnt get it allin.  Am simply saying that If I can keep this pot small and under control I would choose to do so, extracting value from the multiway field when filling cheap, rather than recklessly getting it in 60/40 against cowboys.  Plus being a 5 handed limped flop its cavalier to assume we instantly have the best hand, not being in favour of clicking and praying to fill.
  • edited August 2011
    I've just jumped in half way through, but I've noticed you've said a couple of times 'clicking and praying to fill', I think the point here, is that 90% of the time we don't NEED to fill, we've already got the winning hand, so you're not looking at 'are you getting pot odds to fill up?'