You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Notes

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
What sort of notes do you keep on people? I do try to keep notes, but I often find that they lose meaning to me once the situation that spawned the note is lost from memory.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    If you notice a villian playing a hand particularly badly or well. How they play their draws, but most of my notes are about a persons preflop play. What they open with, call a raise with, 3bet fold or 4bet that sort of thing
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, i use it to define opening ranges alot but at the same time its useful to put a bit about how they play their strong hands and their medium strength hands. For example, 'check calls top pair top kicker on river'. Obv in shorthand tho.

Some of my notes just say, things like 'loose aggro'. 'Limp calls pre'. 'Calls bets on flop with one overcard' etc Any info that you may find useful. If someone is a calling station that calls anything pre flop then with a big pocket pair you know that you can raise in to him and isolate because he will call anything pre flop with any two cards. 
  • edited August 2011
    I always like to have a hand as an example that lets me have an idea how they play e.g. open limping UTG with ace rag is often a big sign they aren't good. My main tags are REG, DEAD MONEY, STATION, MANIAC, that sort of thing.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes:
    I always like to have a hand as an example that lets me have an idea how they play e.g. open limping UTG with ace rag is often a big sign they aren't good. My main tags are REG, DEAD MONEY, STATION, MANIAC, that sort of thing.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Which one of these applies to Dohhh ?? ;))
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : Which one of these applies to Dohhh ?? ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Probably a new one of LAGGY MANIAC LOL :)
  • edited August 2011
    "donk"
    "monkey"
    "elephant"
    "goose"
    "giraffe"

etc. All my notes are in animal shortform.
  • edited August 2011
    "donk" "monkey" "elephant" "goose" "giraffe" etc. All my notes are in animal shortform.
    Posted by offshoot
    i love this - what do they represent :s

• edited August 2011
    My guesses for their meanings are...

Monkey - plays a bit funky?
    Goose - a bit loose?
    Elephant - Super tight
    Donk - Donkey/Fish
    Giraffe - Maniac having a laugh...
  • edited August 2011
    I really struggle making notes. Usually I'll only be sat at a table for either 1 hour or 2 hours and even if I'm lucky enough to have the same people sat there for the full time, in that time period, you might only see one person show down 5 hands if you're lucky, and is that really enough to form a decision.

For instance, I might see once that someone limped 78s UTG but for all I know, he was on tilt this once or that's what he does all the time, or he just wanted to mix up his play.

Or I see someone slowplay a flush but normally he bets big when he makes a straight or flush but was just mixing it up. And I can't help but think it's gonna take a really long time before I bump into them again and can take more notes and see if I can confirm my first lot of notes or not.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : i love this - what do they represent :s
    Posted by rancid
    i'll leave them open to interpretation. I will say that Lol-Raise is a Llama and Dohhhhhh is a Star-nosed Mole.
  • edited August 2011
    I really struggle making notes. Usually I'll only be sat at a table for either 1 hour or 2 hours and even if I'm lucky enough to have the same people sat there for the full time, in that time period, you might only see one person show down 5 hands if you're lucky, and is that really enough to form a decision. For instance, I might see once that someone limped 78s UTG but for all I know, he was on tilt this once or that's what he does all the time, or he just wanted to mix up his play. Or I see someone slowplay a flush but normally he bets big when he makes a straight or flush but was just mixing it up. And I can't help but think it's gonna take a really long time before I bump into them again and can take more notes and see if I can confirm my first lot of notes or not.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Something that Dohh advised me to do was look back at HH and basically any pots over 20bb's take a look at and see if there's anything out of the ordinary and make a note of it, this will obvz include hands you're not involved in and also keep you busy if getting bored.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : i'll leave them open to interpretation. I will say that Lol-Raise is a Llama and Dohhhhhh is a Star-nosed Mole.
    Posted by offshoot
    Is it coz I live lowerdown, keep popping up, getting stood on, and running away, back down again? 

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : i'll leave them open to interpretation. I will say that Lol-Raise is a Llama and Dohhhhhh is a Star-nosed Mole.
    Posted by offshoot
    lol
    what poker animal are you ?
    Maybe we should start a new thread )

• edited August 2011
    I really struggle making notes. Usually I'll only be sat at a table for either 1 hour or 2 hours and even if I'm lucky enough to have the same people sat there for the full time, in that time period, you might only see one person show down 5 hands if you're lucky, and is that really enough to form a decision. For instance, I might see once that someone limped 78s UTG but for all I know, he was on tilt this once or that's what he does all the time, or he just wanted to mix up his play. Or I see someone slowplay a flush but normally he bets big when he makes a straight or flush but was just mixing it up. And I can't help but think it's gonna take a really long time before I bump into them again and can take more notes and see if I can confirm my first lot of notes or not.
    Posted by Lambert180

You can write loads of notes on bad players without seeing their hands. Write down important bits of information and trust those notes until theyre proved wrong rather than saying one hand of information isnt enough to go on.

For example. If a bad player leads into me and i raise and they fold i can take a note saying they donkbet/fold with weak hands. I wil then trust that note until i see something to make me doubt it. Rarely do i have to adjust notes on fish. Now i know i can raise everytime he donkbets and that can prove valuable. Same if someone leads out with a strong hand. Bad palyers never balance their ranges so if someone leads out with a set into me i can safely assume they always lead with their strong/made hands because that is their strategy. That allows me to fold marginal hands like weak top pair or something and not worry about it.

If someone bets pot or minraises in any situation take note of what they had. When people adjust their betsizing like that its usually a big tell.

IF someone instacalls a 335 flop then folds to a turn bet when a 2 hits you can safely assume they call quickly with air or drawing hands, trying to put you off betting again, and you can note to double barrell turns against them because they float flops with no hand.

if someone calls your 3bet and instafolds flop you can take note to 3bet them more because they called with a weak hand and just gave up as soon as they didnt hit.

Theres information in most of the hands you play. At the lower limits people have a style of play and they stick to it, dont be afraid to jump to conclusions and stick to them, its better to go on what little information you have rather than no info.
  • edited August 2011
    There are various type of players at NL4 but they all have there own betting patterns and general bad play.
    They do the same thing over and over again, so there is so much information to be had.
    Observe and make notes when hands go to showdown.

I use a system where if someone does something bad I scale it from 1-10
    The more times I see em doing it then the higher the number is, giving me an idea how solid my read is
    when I am in a hand with them.

• edited September 2011
    cheers for input guys. I need to improve in this area a lot!
  • edited September 2011
    "donk" "monkey" "elephant" "goose" "giraffe" etc. All my notes are in animal shortform.
    Posted by offshoot
    since when was donk and animal ;)
  • edited September 2011

Donkeyyyyyy u plank.

He'd prob add Aadvark if he ever got to play against you.
  • edited September 2011
    Donkeyyyyyy u plank. He'd prob add Aadvark if he ever got to play against you.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol my bad true i knew that just messing ;)

how many aardvark's are now going in my notes... ;)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : You can write loads of notes on bad players without seeing their hands. Write down important bits of information and trust those notes until theyre proved wrong rather than saying one hand of information isnt enough to go on. For example. If a bad player leads into me and i raise and they fold i can take a note saying they donkbet/fold with weak hands. I wil then trust that note until i see something to make me doubt it. Rarely do i have to adjust notes on fish. Now i know i can raise everytime he donkbets and that can prove valuable. Same if someone leads out with a strong hand. Bad palyers never balance their ranges so if someone leads out with a set into me i can safely assume they always lead with their strong/made hands because that is their strategy. That allows me to fold marginal hands like weak top pair or something and not worry about it. If someone bets pot or minraises in any situation take note of what they had. When people adjust their betsizing like that its usually a big tell. IF someone instacalls a 335 flop then folds to a turn bet when a 2 hits you can safely assume they call quickly with air or drawing hands, trying to put you off betting again, and you can note to double barrell turns against them because they float flops with no hand. if someone calls your 3bet and instafolds flop you can take note to 3bet them more because they called with a weak hand and just gave up as soon as they didnt hit. Theres information in most of the hands you play. At the lower limits people have a style of play and they stick to it, dont be afraid to jump to conclusions and stick to them, its better to go on what little information you have rather than no info.
    Posted by offshoot
    This was some excellent advice offshoot. I'll definitely keep these things in mind for next session. I'm still only playing 2 tables at 10NL at the moment til I get some notes going on some people. Maybe it's bad luck but at the moment I'm just sitting at any table with 1 free seat to get to know the people and everytime (it has only been a few sessions) I sit on a table at 10NL half of them always end up being tight 'bar stewards' and it's either a real grind. I'm sure I'll find some fish soon...
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : This was some excellent advice offshoot. I'll definitely keep these things in mind for next session. I'm still only playing 2 tables at 10NL at the moment til I get some notes going on some people. Maybe it's bad luck but at the moment I'm just sitting at any table with 1 free seat to get to know the people and everytime (it has only been a few sessions) I sit on a table at 10NL half of them always end up being tight 'bar stewards' and it's either a real grind. I'm sure I'll find some fish soon...
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yh it sucks so much especially after getting so many fish at NL4-8.
  • edited September 2011
    Donkeyyyyyy u plank. He'd prob add Aadvark if he ever got to play against you.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Young_gun - Ostrich
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : Young_gun - Ostrich
    Posted by offshoot
    Play or looks lol and why please explain?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : Play or looks lol and why please explain?
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    looks obv. 

Isn't the ostrich the only bird that can't fly?

Must be your chest weighing you down.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : Yh it sucks so much especially after getting so many fish at NL4-8.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Oh so it's not me going mad then? Have you changed your post-flop betting much when moving to 10NL Dude? Maybe I was just on a table full of tight folk but I was playing my normal 4NL/8NL game, betting about 75% (minimum) of pot when I hit a flop and I just got no callers 90% of the time. Maybe it was just a session where when i was hitting, no-one else was getting any of the flop or maybe they were really tight?

Thoughts? Is it normal at 10NL?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : looks obv.  Isn't the ostrich the only bird that can't fly? Must be your chest weighing you down.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes thats true but has no reflection of how i look IMO

I reckon its play but i dont really understand it, would be nice to know
  • edited September 2011
    Yeh I'm sure if you ask any professional poker player nicely enough they'll give their reads on you and explain their notes.  

They're all nice guys after all, righhhhhhhhhhhht. 

• edited September 2011
    Yeh I'm sure if you ask any professional poker player nicely enough they'll give their reads on you and explain their notes.   They're all nice guys after all, righhhhhhhhhhhht. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah but its not like i play him often only in rollers and odd tourneys and i usually do ok vs him so im hopeful its something good and not just luckbox etc ;)

PM me if you want offy please im intrigued i dont really play you enough to effect this being -EV
  • edited September 2011
    ok i have to admit ive just been making them all up. I have no idea why you would be an ostrich. I quite like Dohhhhh's reasoning for being a mole though.
  • edited September 2011
    ok i have to admit ive just been making them all up. I have no idea why you would be an ostrich. I quite like Dohhhhh's reasoning for being a mole though.
    Posted by offshoot
    lol WP