You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The greed of online poker..

edited September 2011 in Area 51
Time and time again the age old arguement of is online poker rigged rear's it's ugly head,is it or isn't it is what everybody wants to know,at the moment there is no way to prove either way only arguments for and against.
  Now for the last few months i have not played on skypoker whilst myself and a few poker buddies have tried a few experiments with online poker(if you are only reading this because you think these experiments will prove online poker is rigged stop reading now it is pretty much near imposible to prove with 100% certainty unless some top level programmer comes forward and spills the beans on it.IF it is rigged that is.

THE NEWBIE EXPERIMENT

It is often quoted that newbies will run good so we decided to test this theory,three of us deposited into a new sit the sum of £50 each the first night we all ran steady 1 of us played sng 1 tournements and the other cash,results were cash slightly down,2 buy ins down,sng 2 buy ins up.Nothing unusual here so we all decided to play sng for 1 week(on seperate tables and different times normaly due to work commitments)the results were great we were all running like god winning a good percentage of races etc.By the end of week 1 each one of us was sat on a bank roll between £140-£212 showing there was a skill element involved as we all played the same number of sng for the sake of the experiment but we all agreed we ran good.

2nd Week
we agreed to play cash games again for a set time period.
Steady start i made 60% of my buy in first night and the other two made 150% and 35% so all good.
night 2 onwards up to saturday lunch time it was run good again and by saturday lunchtime my roll had gone up  from £163 to £281.60 a large gain i was playing great wahooo so too were my friends finnaly we had it beat.

3rd week
back to sng,oh hwo the mighty fallen ive gone from winning 1 in 2 to bearly 1 in 6 god i won 6 on the bounce the first week i can't win a sng for nothing even had a guy down to 600 chips to my 11400 and could not get him unreal what am i doing wrong not sure but i know my other friends aren't doing well either only winning between 1in 4 and 1 in 5 the bank roll is edging down so we all agree to load another £50 in another site on a different network and this is where it gets intersting as the results for all 3 of us worked out pretty much the same run good for a while beat city when we seemed to top out between £220 and £300.
We have now done this with 4 different sites and the results are pretty much similar from all 4 so i stand by my newbie run good experiment,although you will still get the same argument against it like you try harder when you start somewhere new or variance will come soon enough just strange how variance allways seems to rear it head after a few weeks of run good or i instantly loose intrest in my games and money too remember at the this point too.
So is it wild coincidence or something else only way you guys will know is by trying for yourself.
but at the end of the day best to remember 99% of us online players will run it the rake merry go round at some point where your cash gets passed on to the rake etc till you run dry.It's genius really win a bit loose a bit more reload rinse and repeat the only winner being the rake.Of course you will get your regular defenders claiming all is good becasue they win and of cousre the do but is it just coincidence that these guys defend the site to the death maybe just maybe they feel they will be looked after in the back of there mind becasue as they say the more bad players on here the better for them and there profits so why come preaching about your game surely it would be better and more profitable to leave you to sink.

So after all this can i prove online poker is rigged NO of course not but we could prove the run good theory if enough of us try it which would be a massive start in either proving or disproving dependent upon results and on the upside if mine and my friends results are anything to go by you may just make yourself a few bob along the way too but remember when you move to the next site make sure it's not on the same poker network as the others ie. stanley james is on the same as sadbrokes micro gaming network only one from this network etc.
so if you try it post here and let me know how you get on GOOD LUCK.

Comments

• edited September 2011

Instead of 3 players, you would need to do it with at least 3 million players....

Instead of 3 weeks, you're need to use a time frame of at least 3 months....

Instead of 4 sites, you'd need to do it on at least 4,000 sites....

And after all that, if you are still sure about your initial conclusions, then it would probably be worth investigating it further. 

---------------------------

All you have identified here is that in the short term, variance dictates wether you win, lose, or draw.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker..:
    Instead of 3 players, you would need to do it with at least 3 million players.... Instead of 3 weeks, you're need to use a time frame of at least 3 months.... Instead of 4 sites, you'd need to do it on at least 4,000 sites.... And after all that, if you are still sure about your initial conclusions, then it would probably be worth investigating it further.  --------------------------- All you have identified here is that in the short term, variance dictates wether you win, lose, or draw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    the old defence of never enough info to prove a theory true three players is not enough that's why ive opened it for others to try and post here 3 months no thanks same results most time a slow drain of your bank roll and why continue this long when your up just withdraw and a few months down the line they will be intouch please come back to us heres a tenner for free etc and you can run good for a week too just coincidence again?? and 4000 sites there is not that many sites out there and there sure is not 4000 different networks for certain so can't be done.there has also been other experiments on this theory as well but i can't go in to these yet but will pm the right people if they want to know i.e. djblacke and elsadog who have an open opinion on this.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, how do you explain players who open an account, and win, and win, and win, and 4 years later are still logging on 7 days a week and having massive winning weeks, week after week?

everyone has downswings, but winning players are winning players, and will always win in the end......

Can give you a list of 100 names on sky for you to check if you don't believe me. 

I can also give you a list of players who lost money when they first joined, then as they improved, started to win it back, and more, and are now showing big profit over a long period?

How do you account for these people? They seem to dis-prove your theory.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, how do you explain players who open an account, and win, and win, and win, and 4 years later are still logging on 7 days a week and having massive winning weeks, week after week? everyone has downswings, but winning players are winning players, and will always win in the end...... Can give you a list of 100 names on sky for you to check if you don't believe me.  I can also give you a list of players who lost money when they first joined, then as they improved, started to win it back, and more, and are now showing big profit over a long period? How do you account for these people? They seem to dis-prove your theory.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    of course skill counts for part of it no one is denying this we were all skilled to a degree my self i make a small profit break even over time the argument is a bout newbie run good of course the skilled players will maintain overtime but you can't argue the fact that people run good when the first join if they are less skilled they will make less or if there really bad they will loose but you have disproprtionate luck when you first join if it was random this would not be the case.
    dohhhhhhhh why does it bother you so much what other peoples opinions are it does not affect you at all but you allways jumpt to the defence surely you have better things to do like making money on poker becasue for some one who wins so much you spend an awful lot of time in here i don't know how you fit it all in.
  • edited September 2011
    Well, how do you explain players who open an account, and win, and win, and win, and 4 years later are still logging on 7 days a week and having massive winning weeks, week after week? everyone has downswings, but winning players are winning players, and will always win in the end...... Can give you a list of 100 names on sky for you to check if you don't believe me.  I can also give you a list of players who lost money when they first joined, then as they improved, started to win it back, and more, and are now showing big profit over a long period? How do you account for these people? They seem to dis-prove your theory.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

actually the people who win on these sites has been proved to be less than 0.1% of the  total player pool.....so for every 1,000,000 players there are less than 1000 who are continuous winners...

where as they reckon the top 2% make money in the live scene....

and i would actually like to see any data on these so called 'WINNERS'

because especially in the cash game,you are only 1 bad day away from nothing..

:)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : actually the people who win on these sites has been proved to be less than 0.1% of the  total player pool.....so for every 1,000,000 players there are less than 1000 who are continuous winners... where as they reckon the top 2% make money in the live scene.... and i would actually like to see any data on these so called 'WINNERS' because especially in the cash game,you are only 1 bad day away from nothing.. :)
    Posted by djblacke04
    Yes, poker is hard. 

• edited September 2011
    Interesting read.

Mostly what is interesting for me is that you and a few friends in your community discussed this and set about seeing if you could compare trends, which obviously means that these were the trends that you suspected you'd see (as would many.

Respect for not whinging/whining or moaning and setting out to do something relatively quantifiable.

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : of course skill counts for part of it no one is denying this we were all skilled to a degree my self i make a small profit break even over time the argument is a bout newbie run good of course the skilled players will maintain overtime but you can't argue the fact that people run good when the first join if they are less skilled they will make less or if there really bad they will loose but you have disproprtionate luck when you first join if it was random this would not be the case. dohhhhhhhh why does it bother you so much what other peoples opinions are it does not affect you at all but you allways jumpt to the defence surely you have better things to do like making money on poker becasue for some one who wins so much you spend an awful lot of time in here i don't know how you fit it all in.
    Posted by dalty
    I don't win that much, but I do consistantly win. I did when I first joined and I do now. I win more now than when I first started, because I am better now.

Go figure.

Ok I will leave this thread for people to agree with you, but one final thought....

Check out the graph on the link below.

This is for sngs and mtt's on sky.

Guess the player......

• edited September 2011
    In Response to The greed of online poker..:
    Time and time again the age old arguement of is online poker rigged rear's it's ugly head,is it or isn't it is what everybody wants to know,at the moment there is no way to prove either way only arguments for and against.   Now for the last few months i have not played on skypoker whilst myself and a few poker buddies have tried a few experiments with online poker(if you are only reading this because you think these experiments will prove online poker is rigged stop reading now it is pretty much near imposible to prove with 100% certainty unless some top level programmer comes forward and spills the beans on it.IF it is rigged that is. THE NEWBIE EXPERIMENT It is often quoted that newbies will run good so we decided to test this theory,three of us deposited into a new sit the sum of £50 each the first night we all ran steady 1 of us played sng 1 tournements and the other cash,results were cash slightly down,2 buy ins down,sng 2 buy ins up.Nothing unusual here so we all decided to play sng for 1 week(on seperate tables and different times normaly due to work commitments)the results were great we were all running like god winning a good percentage of races etc.By the end of week 1 each one of us was sat on a bank roll between £140-£212 showing there was a skill element involved as we all played the same number of sng for the sake of the experiment but we all agreed we ran good. 2nd Week we agreed to play cash games again for a set time period. Steady start i made 60% of my buy in first night and the other two made 150% and 35% so all good. night 2 onwards up to saturday lunch time it was run good again and by saturday lunchtime my roll had gone up  from £163 to £281.60 a large gain i was playing great wahooo so too were my friends finnaly we had it beat. 3rd week back to sng,oh hwo the mighty fallen ive gone from winning 1 in 2 to bearly 1 in 6 god i won 6 on the bounce the first week i can't win a sng for nothing even had a guy down to 600 chips to my 11400 and could not get him unreal what am i doing wrong not sure but i know my other friends aren't doing well either only winning between 1in 4 and 1 in 5 the bank roll is edging down so we all agree to load another £50 in another site on a different network and this is where it gets intersting as the results for all 3 of us worked out pretty much the same run good for a while beat city when we seemed to top out between £220 and £300. We have now done this with 4 different sites and the results are pretty much similar from all 4 so i stand by my newbie run good experiment,although you will still get the same argument against it like you try harder when you start somewhere new or variance will come soon enough just strange how variance allways seems to rear it head after a few weeks of run good or i instantly loose intrest in my games and money too remember at the this point too. So is it wild coincidence or something else only way you guys will know is by trying for yourself. but at the end of the day best to remember 99% of us online players will run it the rake merry go round at some point where your cash gets passed on to the rake etc till you run dry.It's genius really win a bit loose a bit more reload rinse and repeat the only winner being the rake.Of course you will get your regular defenders claiming all is good becasue they win and of cousre the do but is it just coincidence that these guys defend the site to the death maybe just maybe they feel they will be looked after in the back of there mind becasue as they say the more bad players on here the better for them and there profits so why come preaching about your game surely it would be better and more profitable to leave you to sink. So after all this can i prove online poker is rigged NO of course not but we could prove the run good theory if enough of us try it which would be a massive start in either proving or disproving dependent upon results and on the upside if mine and my friends results are anything to go by you may just make yourself a few bob along the way too but remember when you move to the next site make sure it's not on the same poker network as the others ie. stanley james is on the same as sadbrokes micro gaming network only one from this network etc. so if you try it post here and let me know how you get on GOOD LUCK.
    Posted by dalty
    total 1oo% respect for a well written intelligent post. no point in defending your view as it will only bring the sarcastic rebuts. well put my friend and good luck
  • edited September 2011
    A good player will profit whether there is some adjustment being made for newcomers or not. Any induced run-good for newbies would be short lived and a just blip for the good player over a long period. If this were the case then you have to ask why would it be done. Well it wouldn't be done to stop the good player from winning over along period, there's no point to that.

It could be argued that it would give the newbie a taste of success, an inflated opinion of their own ability and hope for the future. This would likely give more incentive to the newbie to continue, re-deposit and possibly become hooked on the game, rather than an unsuccessful and expensive first venture into online poker.

As far as the graph Dohhhhhh has put up. well this person has obviously improved to the point of profitability. That's not unusual and wouldn't be impossible if the scenario the OP proposes were true. As I said earlier, the talented players will still profit over time and the rest will not. The profit they make may be reduced but overall they would still win.

As for the sample size, well it is rather small as the OP understands only too well. Dohhhhh's numbers are pie in the sky and he knows it.

In summary: Could it be as the OP suspects? Well it certainly could and there would seem to be very sound financial reasons if were so. Whether it is or not is anybody's guess for as the OP says - it will probably never be proved one way or the other. This was an interesting post by Dalty.
  • edited September 2011
    It's lolufold.
  • edited September 2011
    A good player will profit whether there is some adjustment being made for newcomers or not. Any induced run-good for newbies would be short lived and a just blip for the good player over a long period. If this were the case then you have to ask why would it be done. Well it wouldn't be done to stop the good player from winning over along period, there's no point to that. It could be argued that it would give the newbie a taste of success, an inflated opinion of their own ability and hope for the future. This would likely give more incentive to the newbie to continue, re-deposit and possibly become hooked on the game, rather than an unsuccessful and expensive first venture into online poker. As far as the graph Dohhhhhh has put up. well this person has obviously improved to the point of profitability. That's not unusual and wouldn't be impossible if the scenario the OP proposes were true. As I said earlier, the talented players will still profit over time and the rest will not. The profit they make may be reduced but overall they would still win. As for the sample size, well it is rather small as the OP understands only too well. Dohhhhh's numbers are pie in the sky and he knows it. In summary: Could it be as the OP suspects? Well it certainly could and there would seem to be very sound financial reasons if were so. Whether it is or not is anybody's guess for as the OP says - it will probably never be proved one way or the other. This was an interesting post by Dalty.
    Posted by elsadog
    plus 1   i want to be elsadog when i grow up
  • edited September 2011
    I thought you were leaving? ;)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : I don't win that much, but I do consistantly win. I did when I first joined and I do now. I win more now than when I first started, because I am better now. Go figure. Ok I will leave this thread for people to agree with you, but one final thought.... Check out the graph on the link below. This is for sngs and mtt's on sky. Guess the player......   http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/folg.png/
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Is this a joke? You first post about needing millions of hand etc etc and variance and then post a chart of less than 300 games. WoW!!
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to The greed of online poker..:
    We have now done this with 4 different sites and the results are pretty much similar from all 4 so i stand by my newbie run good experiment,although you will still get the same argument against it like you try harder when you start somewhere new or variance will come soon enough just strange how variance allways seems to rear it head after a few weeks of run good or i instantly loose intrest in my games and money too remember at the this point too.
    Posted by dalty

how is this strange, you run above expectation, then you run below expectation.. you cant expect to run good forever unless you're called muse12

oh and if you are convinced of this, just make a new account at a different site every 2 weeks and you will be a millionaire in no time
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to The greed of online poker.. : how is this strange, you run above expectation, then you run below expectation.. you cant expect to run good forever unless you're called muse12 oh and if you are convinced of this, just make a new account at a different site every 2 weeks and you will be a millionaire in no time
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Many thanks to those of you who have taken it for what it is a theory which so far for myself has not been disproved it may not be the same for other players which is why i asked people to post there experiances if they tried.
    lol-raise it is not about running above expectation or below it is the fact that everyone so far in the group has run above expectation initialy surely if all was well this would not be the case some would and some would not i did not post in my original post about other little experiments that have took place like a couple of players opening double accounts ie one in the wifes names and playing on sites where they have not won in a while and playing the two accounts at seperate times during the day suprisingly they were a poker genius again on the new account but could not get a sniff on the old one this being the same player playing there same game but with two very different results.but as stated this does not prove nothing as sample size is not large enough which is fully understood but if more people try the newbie theory we may find out more.(in no way am i advising double accounting as this is not strictly legit you must only play your own account not your partners my friends took a risk that was there choice and i am in way advising this)
    i do not disagree with dohhhhhhh a good player will allways improve there game and win because if everyone lost no one would play and far less people would bother with poker if every site they joined initialy they got battered on due to lack of skill which is why i feel the luck factor is increased initialy.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : I don't win that much, but I do consistantly win. I did when I first joined and I do now. I win more now than when I first started, because I am better now. Go figure. Ok I will leave this thread for people to agree with you, but one final thought.... Check out the graph on the link below. This is for sngs and mtt's on sky. Guess the player......   http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/folg.png/
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    dohhhhhh i do belive if you look at that graph it does have a very small initial time in profit of about £50-£100 but what would concern me more is he was clearly a bad player as you would say from his graph but the improvement is so rapid it is concerning an improving player would improve gradualy this guy has become god overnight almost.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to The greed of online poker.. : how is this strange, you run above expectation, then you run below expectation.. you cant expect to run good forever unless you're called muse12 oh and if you are convinced of this, just make a new account at a different site every 2 weeks and you will be a millionaire in no time
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    theres just not that many different networks out there yes theres hundreads of sites but there all different skins of mostly the same networks so this does not work oh and yes i do have many different poker accounts on different sites and find this works best for my profit as i play many different ones everyday mainly cash just pinching a bit of each ie 10-20 make a five-ten profit move on to the next and so on where i can regularly make between 20-50(rare occasions it fifty) a day not massive but nice when added to my wages as i work too and can only fit in about 3-4 hours a day on poker.some sites your ok that day some its beat city but aslong as it's not all that day you can still spread a small daily profit around the different sites you play.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : dohhhhhh i do belive if you look at that graph it does have a very small initial time in profit of about £50-£100 but what would concern me more is he was clearly a bad player as you would say from his graph but the improvement is so rapid it is concerning an improving player would improve gradualy this guy has become god overnight almost.
    Posted by dalty
    People learn at different rates. He's probably mentally gifted and can absorb written data easily.
    Regarding your post i found it interesting. I don't disagree with it in principle.  My experience of UB would support your views whilst noting that the run good factor doesn't support maniac play and therefore is not indiscriminate.
    I actually used to joke in the chatbox occasionally that player X runs like a new depositor.
    I remain open to the possibility of such things to the point that i wouldn't be surprised if they were ever proved correct one day. I simultaneously acknowledge however that i may also be a paranoid moron whose perceptions are being scrambled by erroneous thought processes.
    That should reasonably cover the options :)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : People learn at different rates. He's probably mentally gifted and can absorb written data easily. Regarding your post i found it interesting. I don't disagree with it in principle.  My experience of UB would support your views whilst noting that the run good factor doesn't support maniac play and therefore is not indiscriminate. I actually used to joke in the chatbox occasionally that player X runs like a new depositor. I remain open to the possibility of such things to the point that i wouldn't be surprised if they were ever proved correct one day. I simultaneously acknowledge however that i may also be a paranoid moron whose perceptions are being scrambled by erroneous thought processes. That should reasonably cover the options :)
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    this is very true we may all be paranoid which is why it would be interesting to see other peoples experiances of this theory,and yes your correct it does not support maniac play at all but you do tend to run at a better percentage of wins on your races.
  • edited September 2011
    this is very true we may all be paranoid which is why it would be interesting to see other peoples experiances of this theory,and yes your correct it does not support maniac play at all but you do tend to run at a better percentage of wins on your races.
    Posted by dalty

In some ways i find it interesting to think about the views of the non-sceptics/supporters of poker industry ethics.
    I guess they are not very interested in the mechanics of manufacturing consent ( generally ).
    If i said something like, " It's a good job they weren't alive in 1930's Germany ", i would anticipate an indignant response.
    Also a statement like, " The vast majority of human history supports a perspective that suggests there is little or no relation between finance and corruption," could equally cause derision.
    It is impossible for these people to be naive.
    People in the main seem to be fixed and polarised in opposition on this issue.
    In the absence of concrete evidence one way or the other the only satisfactory conclusion to be made is " I can't be certain. "
    It's good to be open minded. But as Howard Devoto once sang, " My mind it ain't so open, that anything can crawl right in."
    Logic isn't that simple.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : this is very true we may all be paranoid which is why it would be interesting to see other peoples experiances of this theory,and yes your correct it does not support maniac play at all but you do tend to run at a better percentage of wins on your races. Posted by dalty
    In some ways i find it interesting to think about the views of the non-sceptics/supporters of poker industry ethics. I guess they are not very interested in the mechanics of manufacturing consent ( generally ). If i said something like, " It's a good job they weren't alive in 1930's Germany ", i would anticipate an indignant response. Also a statement like, " The vast majority of human history supports a perspective that suggests there is little or no relation between finance and corruption," could equally cause derision. It is impossible for these people to be naive. People in the main seem to be fixed and polarised in opposition on this issue. In the absence of concrete evidence one way or the other the only satisfactory conclusion to be made is " I can't be certain. " It's good to be open minded. But as Howard Devoto once sang, " My mind it ain't so open, that anything can crawl right in." Logic isn't that simple.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    nobody can be certain in life about anything apart from one thing and we all know what that is!! but we all know that in life those at the top will try to decieve those at the bottom and as the old saying goes wherever there's money there's fiddles lol.
  • edited September 2011
    nobody can be certain in life about anything apart from one thing and we all know what that is!!
    What is it then?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : What is it then?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Everything's rubbish ?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : What is it then?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    lol i hate to be the bearer of bad news bud but at some point your going to have to die and visit the little poker tables in the sky.but then again with modern day science this may not be a total certainty.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : Is this a joke? You first post about needing millions of hand etc etc and variance and then post a chart of less than 300 games. WoW!!
    Posted by baggs

I'm sure 300 games is sufficient volume to cover the OP's 3 week experiment.

Maybe he's still benefitiing from his sign up run good then, 4 years later .....

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: The greed of online poker.. : lol i hate to be the bearer of bad news bud but at some point your going to have to die and visit the little poker tables in the sky.but then again with modern day science this may not be a total certainty.
    Posted by dalty
    Do you think the rake on these tables is less than the rake on the terrestrial tables ?
  • edited September 2011
    I've read through this thread with interest.

So query . . . is online poker rigged to favour newly signed up players? The ability to do it is certainly there, as is the incentive; it's in the operator's best interests for players to return and play at higher level tables and in tourney's with greater buy-ins.

I've argued before that despite both of the above factors, those who run online poker sites are making so much from the rake and buy-ins they've really got no reason to run the business risk of rigging things. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it of course.

As he admits, the tale given by the OP doesn't provide any sound evidence of any tampering with the game, and is purely anecdotal. But at some point, there must be sufficient amounts of anecdotal evidence to provide at least some basis for thinking things are not as they should be - the old adege that "there's no smoke without fire" has been in use for a very long time. Problem is, even if the issue was thoroughly investigated, because of the technology in use (as someone has stated) only a programming expert, who examined the underlying code in great detail, would really be able to tell - the rest of us just have to take the word of the operators that the random number generator is truely random. I did once see some casino software (virtual card game as it happens) that was being touted with the line that you can "set" the payout rate anywhere from 70%-99.5% - so how could that be achieved without tampering with the underlying RNG??

I think the findings of the independent certification bodies that supposedly check the integrity of the RNG can be taken with a large pinch of salt, as I don't believe they have the technical capacity, or are willing to spend the money necessary to buy it in, to do the job properly. No different from the online casino licences issued by the Gaming Authority of Alderney not being worth the paper they're written on - opportunist job creation if there ever was such a thing. The chances of them taking action against anyone abusing their "licence" priviledges is zero.

So we just have to make our own judgements based on our own first, and second hand experience.

The real greed of online poker is in the rake (in my case c16%) or the SNG buy-ins - that on this site are a minimum of 10%. Compare that with the worst HE on a gaming floor - 5.2% on casino stud poker - and you can see why there's no need to fiddle, It's interesting that in Atlantic City, the gaming commission has banned the use of the Big 6/8 bets on craps tables as they're considered them to be unfair to punters with a HE of 9.09% (interesting though that the hard ways prop bets are up to 16.67 for rolling a "7" ??).

As for the graph that was put forward as proof that players can improve their game to a point where they consistently turn a profit playing poker . . . well, the less said the better - statistically insignificant sample and heavily skewed by what looks to be a single instance (presumably a big tourney win). Unfortunately, due to the variance factors profit at any one point in time doesn't necessarily mean consistently playing a winning game. I made a profit playing roulette once, so does that mean the 37 notched wheel can be beaten??? I think not.

Good cards everyone.

• edited September 2011
    I've read through this thread with interest. So query . . . is online poker rigged to favour newly signed up players? The ability to do it is certainly there, as is the incentive; it's in the operator's best interests for players to return and play at higher level tables and in tourney's with greater buy-ins. I've argued before that despite both of the above factors, those who run online poker sites are making so much from the rake and buy-ins they've really got no reason to run the business risk of rigging things. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it of course. As he admits, the tale given by the OP doesn't provide any sound evidence of any tampering with the game, and is purely anecdotal. But at some point, there must be sufficient amounts of anecdotal evidence to provide at least some basis for thinking things are not as they should be - the old adege that "there's no smoke without fire" has been in use for a very long time. Problem is, even if the issue was thoroughly investigated, because of the technology in use (as someone has stated) only a programming expert, who examined the underlying code in great detail, would really be able to tell - the rest of us just have to take the word of the operators that the random number generator is truely random. I did once see some casino software (virtual card game as it happens) that was being touted with the line that you can "set" the payout rate anywhere from 70%-99.5% - so how could that be achieved without tampering with the underlying RNG?? I think the findings of the independent certification bodies that supposedly check the integrity of the RNG can be taken with a large pinch of salt, as I don't believe they have the technical capacity, or are willing to spend the money necessary to buy it in, to do the job properly. No different from the online casino licences issued by the Gaming Authority of Alderney not being worth the paper they're written on - opportunist job creation if there ever was such a thing. The chances of them taking action against anyone abusing their "licence" priviledges is zero. So we just have to make our own judgements based on our own first, and second hand experience. The real greed of online poker is in the rake (in my case c16%) or the SNG buy-ins - that on this site are a minimum of 10%. Compare that with the worst HE on a gaming floor - 5.2% on casino stud poker - and you can see why there's no need to fiddle, It's interesting that in Atlantic City, the gaming commission has banned the use of the Big 6/8 bets on craps tables as they're considered them to be unfair to punters with a HE of 9.09% (interesting though that the hard ways prop bets are up to 16.67 for rolling a "7" ??). As for the graph that was put forward as proof that players can improve their game to a point where they consistently turn a profit playing poker . . . well, the less said the better - statistically insignificant sample and heavily skewed by what looks to be a single instance (presumably a big tourney win). Unfortunately, due to the variance factors profit at any one point in time doesn't necessarily mean consistently playing a winning game. I made a profit playing roulette once, so does that mean the 37 notched wheel can be beaten??? I think not. Good cards everyone.
    Posted by Goethe
    This appears reasonable. Good post imo fwiw.
    It's in the operators best interest to introduce players to the feel good factor of winning. It could be viewed as a psychological control mechanism. After all poker is gambling and gambling can be addictive to susceptible people.
  • edited September 2011
    I thought every1 knew about the 'New Player' Boomswitch, i regularly create new accounts on new sites to 'run good' for a bit to top up my roll

ez game

:-D