You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Super active 9 handed table.  Lot of straddles and re straddles.  Also lot of random blind bets.....this is the company I keep :p

There are two players on my left who are much better cash players than me.  Immediately to their right is this crazy guy betting between 7 and 12 x blind most hands.  Regardless of limpage infront.  This guy does this most nights I see him.  Just a wealthy degen :p

I finally find a hand, have AKo UTG.  Limp, fairly solid player limps behind UTG+1.  I obv limp knowing crazy raises, he will get stationed in a few spots, i can repop for isolation, or take down the limpage and stations pre.  If he binks he binks.  But my 3bet will be significant.

So I limp UTG, he makes it £14 sincerely blind.  Goodish player Jams for £80ish.  God awful Lag sigh cold calls for half his stack. This could be any old junk though (and was).  I auto release.  Not because I dont think I have the best hand, as I'm nails on sure I do. 

Simply fold as I cant insure or leverage my hand post flop, can only win at showdown.  Good friend is sat on my right, I sigh fold, showing him.  He's a much better overall cash game player than me.

He is stunned telling me what an awful fold it is.  I agree in tournament its bad to take the line pre flop (limping UTG), also perhaps folding pre.  But in this case, vs these crazees, I think we can easily find better spots?

We have 1 BB invested, with two all ins infront, with a huge likelyhood of 2 behind.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    yes its pretty terrible assuming you are well bankrolled for the games
  • edited September 2011
    shoot yourself in the face, then tick sit out.
  • edited September 2011
    So you've folded even though you think you have the best hand ?

Can't see the logic in that, especially in a cash game.    
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?:
    shoot yourself in the face, then tick sit out.
    Posted by beaneh
    lol.

You've got over the stabbing phase then!

--------------

O.P, apart from AA or KK pre flop, how are you going to get better spots when every single hand is gonna be like 20xbb to see a flop. 

If this is the way the game is/has been/will be playing, you gotta accept it's high variance and go with it, OR, don't sit in the first place ,....... ?

--------------

Another thought, if you limp to induce action, get action then fold....

Maybe opening a standard size UTG is a new way of isolating the fish? People will surely know abit about you, and be reluctant to get involved as your UTG opening range in this game is gonna be like 5 hands........
  • edited September 2011
    limp pre, get action  a limp behind, 2 fish and a decent player with a 40BB stack and fold? Why?

stacksizes of players? I'm fistpump jamming unless really deep
  • edited September 2011
    You got the action you wanted and then fold makes no sense really!

i think its an easy jam, assuming the other guy calls (having out in half his stack dont see him folding) even the side pot you will just about break even and his hand according to your post sounds weak.

I know it doesnt matter but what did they have and would you have won?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?:
    I finally find a hand, have AKo UTG.  Limp, fairly solid player limps behind UTG+1.  I obv limp knowing crazy raises, he will get stationed in a few spots, i can repop for isolation, or take down the limpage and stations pre.  If he binks he binks.  But my 3bet will be significant. So I limp UTG, he makes it £14 sincerely blind.  Goodish player Jams for £80ish.  God awful Lag sigh cold calls for half his stack. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    ?? you limp, UTG+1 limps....maniac bets 14, short stacker jams 80....action back to you and you fold? easy shove ever if 100bb deep!! with two players behind a solid player that will fold a lot and a maniac that may call a lot...if you lose v short stacker who actually may have a legit hand, you only lose a small amount if your stacked correctly, and if maniac calls and you lose its probably a bad beat ... 
  • edited September 2011
    TBH I dont even remember putting this thread up :)

Found a delicious anaseed vodka and drank far too much of it.  :p

I think I was 200+BB's deep at time.

A few people say I got the action I wanted here, but did I really?  I wanted to isolate vs the spewbox crazee, but with the jam, the cold call (that wont fold his junk to my re jam) and spewbox definately calling behind, plus possibilty of reasonable TAG having same plan as me., we will be going aipf 5 to a board, with all the cards in the air.  I cant win unless AK remains the best hand on the river, as the money will be going in 5 way pre.

Having this kind of crazy at table always stimulates this action. AK going to be the best hand a huge portion of the time.

But I dont really like the idea of racing 100ish BB's with one invested, with no ability to play post?  Where is the advantage?  Seems I am wrong on this though, as thread suggests. Cash isnt my strongest format admittedly.
    I think my game is too glaringly risk averse.

Initial jammer had AJ, cold caller had some stupid 9d6d, UTG+1 held Kd3d craxy(est) had something like 47.

Two diamonds and a jack fell on flop, AJ winning.

Seriously though.  Am fully open to being wrong.  This is a question, I totally recognise my game theory is faulty at full ring cash.  Is it really that bad waiting for spots where we are happier to be able to insure the money we have invested.  I have no real % advantage here, its just a straight race effectively?  When they are so eager to get their money in bad, why take the race, hoping our super marginal edge wins at showdown?

These guys are going to make so many mistakes through the evening, playing horrificly post.  No-one going anywhere for a good 5 or so hours, being happy to reload a fair few times.
  • edited September 2011
    My fold here is based on managing variance, rather than not feeling I have the best hand.  Is this why its definitively bad in your opinions guys?

I must be wrong on this, not claiming to be right.  But I actually thought this was a good fold lol, based on the fact that I have such an edge skillwise, that I neednt take a multiway flip here.  But I guess this being cash, and comfortably rolled, I should be happy with the action...

Just not the way I like to play, should look at it more I guess.  MTT's and S+G are by bread and butter ITM.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?:
    My fold here is based on managing variance, rather than not feeling I have the best hand.  Is this why its definitively bad in your opinions guys? I must be wrong on this, not claiming to be right.  But I actually thought this was a good fold lol, based on the fact that I have such an edge skillwise, that I neednt take a multiway flip here.  But I guess this being cash, and comfortably rolled, I should be happy with the action... Just not the way I like to play, should look at it more I guess.  MTT's and S+G are by bread and butter ITM.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Your playing NL200 so I assume you have £4,000 in your bankroll. You have AK before the flop unless you have a very good reason to suspect aces then you should be fist-pump jamming at this point. If some fish turns over AJ and binks the jack on the flop then you reach into your pocket and re-load knowing that if you played the hand 10 times you would win six or seven of them.

Do you fold AK pre-flop online? I suspect if you are honest with yourself you would admit that you are playing with scared money and didn't want to put all your money in pre-flop with ace-high.
  • edited September 2011
    No, not all bud.  I never play scared, ever.

I probably do call online, with a table with similar dynamic.  But I would argue it would be due to having no dicipline online.

I'm going to re affirm my point here, but I'm not saying I'm right, just laying out my thought process so you online cash guys can pinpoint the flaw.

My opponents hands are mainly irrelevant here.  I do not agree with your statement about fist pump calling unless fearing A's.  Its not as though we can apply leverage post, or thin the field pre.  We are effectively calling off 100bigs closing the action to furthar bets, but with a likelyhood of 2 calls behind.  So vs a wide range of hands can you explain to me why we have to get it in here please?  We have 1BB invested, our hand has to win at showdown vs 4 random hands.  Yes we likely have 1 player dominated, but the others are going to be very live.  Maybe a medium pair.

I dont know if someone wants to run it on stove?  AJ 42BB 6d9d 95BB's Kd3d 90bb's AKo 200+BB's 47o 100BB's.

I'd be shocked if i was better than 28%. 

• edited September 2011
    your about 27% V 4 hands

38% v three with more than 90 bb

makes it a pretty profitable call, you need roughly 20% and 25% respectively

Also by taking this spot, what better spot do you lose out on?
  • edited September 2011
    I mean there it is, are we really happy calling off with 27% to win?  Although we are likely to be getting the 4 maybe 4half/1 needed.

We dont lose out on a spot, your right, but we certainly are finding a path of high resistance.

As said the table isnt breaking up for hours, why get it in in such a high variance spot?

We are getting the right price for our money I guess, but seriously, with so many spots presenting themselves throughout evening, is it worth it?

I guess I need to educate myself on this, as said cash is my weakest game.  Dont get me wrong, I make money, but my approach is likely not great.  Mainly as I like a low variance format.  I just dont get why I'd get myself into a race here though, with no way to win but at showdown.
  • edited September 2011
    I mean there it is, are we really happy calling off with 27% to win?  Although we are likely to be getting the 4 maybe 4half/1 needed. We dont lose out on a spot, your right, but we certainly are finding a path of high resistance. As said the table isnt breaking up for hours, why get it in in such a high variance spot? We are getting the right price for our money I guess, but seriously, with so many spots presenting themselves throughout evening, is it worth it? I guess I need to educate myself on this, as said cash is my weakest game.  Dont get me wrong, I make money, but my approach is likely not great.  Mainly as I like a low variance format.  I just dont get why I'd get myself into a race here though, with no way to win but at showdown.
    Posted by AMYBR
    OK, going to try some math, this could go horribly wrong

Lets just consider the 5 way pot, and to make the math simple lets say you have to call 100 to win 400

So 27% of time you win 400, giving you an EV of 400*0.27=+108
    73% you lose 100 giveing you an EV of -100*0.73=-73

So the overall EV of calling is +35. This is a return of 35% on your gamble which is pretty good

I know this is a very simplified version (the sidepot and the fact K3 might fold obv effect things), but if you get in KK vAQ hu pre its not going to be that much better in terms of how profitable it is. Sure its possible to get much better spots postflop, but you are going to have to flop big and might throw away a lot of bbs before this happens in that kind of game. Also as I said earlier getting it in here does nothing to lessen your oppurtunities later on. If you lose smile, assure them they played the hand perfectly and reload to cover the table. It shouldnt tilt you, you know you are likely to lose

PS If my math is completely wrong (which it could easily be) someone let me know
  • edited September 2011
    tbh with you AMYBR AK raises arguments with even pros, but its normally arguments v online and live players, math is idiotic live you dont see as many hands, but fish are easier to exploit and therefore you can find better spots than flips, and marginal spots. 

online you can multi table...on one table you may lose a flip whilst on another you may win one. Playing the math and correct way online you are sure to win over time.

But live this can work against you i suppose, theres no balancing act ie multitabling. There is a case to be made, if you can outplay your oppo  and be in control post flop why give them so mutch equity in a possible race pre!

9 handed is a different ball game than 6 max so is live v online. Im not a live or a full ring player so its difficult to comment on your ak fold with conviction, being 200 bb deep and the night is young suppose you can fold... 

• edited September 2011
    Yeah I'm not sure on the math here aipf 5 way either.

Interesting comment you make in regard to the "You know you are likely to lose", as we do know there is a significant probability of this.

If someone had money behind, I'm happy to rejam.  If ppl are folding behind I'll  gamble 3 way aipf.

But I like an edge, i just dont see it here.

It was good of you to expand on your point grantorino.  If the table isnt breaking I guess I should be hapy getting it in, being prepared to reload 3 out of 4, but recouping in the 1.  With the added benefit of becoming a superstack.

I'm going to be a sod though and say that, for now, I'll still fold in these spots.  Until I tilt less :p  My manage of variance is intrinsically linked to my managment of tilt and steam.  So by managing my variance I manage my tilt factor and remain in control of myself and table.  Losing here, would be to the detriment of my overall play throughout the evening (yes I know how bad this is lol).  This is actually most likely the core of the issue, and the line I take, striving to a low variance game.

As is stood I only made one (other?) critical mistake throughout the evening and finished 4BI's in profit.
  • edited September 2011
    Metagame is often referred to as the “game within the game”, where you make a play or decision that has been influenced by external knowledge rather than based on fundamental strategy alone. To put it another way, every time you make a play that goes against (or ignores) basic mathematical strategy in poker, chances are that you are utilizing meta game strategy.
  • edited September 2011
    I think whoami puts this pretty well pod1 (you do also).

My lines are different to most based on the fact I am a live semi-pro, and cant balance variance quickly and effectilvely at 1 table live.

My game is probably 50% math 35% Live reads 15% instict (and 8% butterscotch).

Math does not dictate my decisions, it influences reasonably to heavily.  But without sounding like a huge tool my skill level through streets gives my aignificant edge throughout sessions.  Am talking about games I've scouted specifically.  Am not saying I can walk into any game and have an edge.

So I dont really like to flip without insurance or without an edge.  I think we can universely agree, myself included now, that this fold is bad math wise.  But in other ways I think its ok (perhaps :p).
  • edited September 2011
    can you not just reload if you lose? THe only reason you should fold is if you have to stand up if you lose.
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    I hear what your saying about trying to manage variance by folding.
    But if we take this line then we might aswell stop playing poker.

I have seen this recently in a MTT with a simple open shove UTG 15 BB -- +4 seat folded AK and showed me and said "only ace high" - o course I was like what are you doing. Then it turns out the BB folded AK aswel - lol

We may aswel just be nits and fold )

Essentially if you take the line of limping or flatting AK to induce action behind, then you should be just going with it. The more players in then yes your pecentage goes down but your price is better.

I am surprised you folded )

• edited September 2011
    can you not just reload if you lose? THe only reason you should fold is if you have to stand up if you lose.
    Posted by offshoot
    Yeah I've come to the conclusion that this is correct overall.  Was my 1st buy in of 3 and a half.  So shouldnt have been an issue. 

As said in previous post, its connected to my managment of variance and steam, which is a flaw obviously.  I just dont love racing 5 way aipf with 1BB invested.  But should really be a case of shrugging it off, reloading and moving on I guess.

I just hate losing big pots to those tards :p.  Opting not to do it marginally.  If I can put one of them on a real hand its not so bad, but was very clear to me they all had junk.  If I felt it was dominated junk I'd of definately got it in.

Interesting thoughts from everyone and thankyou.  I think I should be concentrating on extrecating my cash lines from my MTT lines (for sure) as they pretty much run in tandem. 
  • edited September 2011
    I hear what your saying about trying to manage variance by folding. But if we take this line then we might aswell stop playing poker. I have seen this recently in a MTT with a simple open shove UTG 15 BB -- +4 seat folded AK and showed me and said "only ace high" - o course I was like what are you doing. Then it turns out the BB folded AK aswel - lol We may aswel just be nits and fold ) Essentially if you take the line of limping or flatting AK to induce action behind, then you should be just going with it. The more players in then yes your pecentage goes down but your price is better. I am surprised you folded )
    Posted by rancid
    If there was any way to thin the field or have a way to win that wasnt at showdown vs 4 other raggedy hands I wouldnt have.

These games always amuse me hugely.  As I have a reputation for getting lucky on the river :p

But the people I play against do not really understand the game.  They bet £20 into £140 and will get stationed in multiple spots.  They click it back OOP and 3 bet horrifically bad hands oop small.  Its such a juicy game where If you have a good handle on their ranges and your perceived %s on improving your hand, you get paid massively. 

You just make sure you lose the minimum unconnected, getting paid hugely through streets when connecting and improving, getting the opportunity to improve cheap.

I should find a few harder games so I get as good as some of you guys.  I'd be lost at a solid table :p
  • edited September 2011
    Do you wear velcro shoes?!

You make posts about being a degenerate gambler, and about being amazing and always having top reads and just being the best in lots of awful live games, then you are so skillfull you can give up edges like having dem strong hands in a 5 way all in vs loose tards. SAY WUT

man up and put your chips over the line or sit out, stop using phrases that you clearly don't understand.
  • edited September 2011
    Wow, a totally needless attack after I clearly state that my line is bad.  Thats not like you at all is it fella? 

You are taking the time to make a post that is utter nonsense, not reflecting the substance or context of anything posted.

You really are the worst kind of person and I have no time for you.

EDIT: Nice edit when you realised you'd clearly misread a key element.  You really think I'd fold K's there?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200? : If there was any way to thin the field or have a way to win that wasnt at showdown vs 4 other raggedy hands I wouldnt have. These games always amuse me hugely.  As I have a reputation for getting lucky on the river :p But the people I play against do not really understand the game.  They bet £20 into £140 and will get stationed in multiple spots.  They click it back OOP and 3 bet horrifically bad hands oop small.  Its such a juicy game where If you have a good handle on their ranges and your perceived %s on improving your hand, you get paid massively.  You just make sure you lose the minimum unconnected, getting paid hugely through streets when connecting and improving, getting the opportunity to improve cheap. I should find a few harder games so I get as good as some of you guys.  I'd be lost at a solid table :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    They can't be that bad if there getting you to limp fold AK )
    So your saying you can find better spots and take there money.
    Nothing wrong with that but still think you should not be folding AK here if you can re load.

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200? : They can't be that bad if there getting you to limp fold AK ) So your saying you can find better spots and take there money. Nothing wrong with that but still think you should not be folding AK here if you can re load.
    Posted by rancid
    Yeah as I said in earlier post, it is pretty bad.  Should have got it in and reloaded.

They didnt get me to fold through being good though.  Mostly through me being bad and not seeing the point in getting it in in such a high variance spot though.  Will be reffering back to this mentality in future spots.

As I've said, cash is my weakest format due to generally being risk averse.  Thanks for the input all (other than the obv).
  • edited September 2011

Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?

posted at 24/9/2011 4:48 PM BST on SkyPoker.com

First: 17/6/2009
    Last: 24/9/2011
    Wow, a totally needless attack after I clearly state that my line is bad.  Thats not like you at all is it fella?  You are taking the time to make a post that is utter nonsense, not reflecting the substance or context of anything posted. You really are the worst kind of person and I have no time for you.
    Posted by AMYBR

<3

Keep limp folding AK

Can we keep personal insults off the forum, thanks.
  • edited September 2011
    dude don't let them drag you down to there level, your going to turn out as bad as they are.
    Nothing worse than levelling yourself versus bad oppo.

Also you mention avoiding high varaince but you sit in a very high varaince game so therefore ie.

you know what I am saying - dont' sit in

I used to play turbo SNG's and enjoyed the high variance but it's not a great thing long term
  • edited September 2011
    Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200? posted at 24/9/2011 4:48 PM BST on SkyPoker.com   beaneh Posts: 2904 First: 17/6/2009 Last: 24/9/2011 In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200? : Wow, a totally needless attack after I clearly state that my line is bad.  Thats not like you at all is it fella?  You are taking the time to make a post that is utter nonsense, not reflecting the substance or context of anything posted. You really are the worst kind of person and I have no time for you. Posted by AMYBR <3 Keep limp folding AK Can we keep personal insults off the forum, thanks.
    Posted by Mod_Machka

it's kinda dull having people come on the forum, say hi im awful, here's a hand I couldn't have played worse if I tried and then when they get help they explain that due to farcical and made up phrases that the OP doesn't understand he is deffo right......

it gets old quick.