You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?:
    dude don't let them drag you down to there level, your going to turn out as bad as they are. Nothing worse than levelling yourself versus bad oppo. Also you mention avoiding high varaince but you sit in a very high varaince game so therefore ie. you know what I am saying - dont' sit in I used to play turbo SNG's and enjoyed the high variance but it's not a great thing long term
    Posted by rancid
    This is actually something that I have worried about a bit tbf.

Its not always as bad as the hand posted.  The crazy guy blind betting always stmulates this action.  He's a bit of a whizz at roulette apparently so he sits down and just goes crazy.  I dont mind it usually, as your pretty much guarenteed to make money.  I am hugely up in this game overall, have been going to it regularly for 2 or so years.  Wouldnt miss it, but I'll definately take on board whats been said.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200?:
    In Response to Re: Anyone feel like settling an argument? Good or bad fold @ NL200? : it's kinda dull having people come on the forum, say hi im awful, here's a hand I couldn't have played worse if I tried and then when they get help they explain that due to farcical and made up phrases that the OP doesn't understand he is deffo right...... it gets old quick. 
    Posted by beaneh

I'm really tempted to get into this with you.  But its pretty clear to anyone reading this thread that your posts are way out of context with the subject matter. 

Also that you thought I held KK as you hadnt looked properly then edited your post.

I said that I was likely wrong from the start.  Laying out my thought process to highlight the flaw in the line.  But either way the thought process throughout, from everyone has been rational, based upon a particular approach.

I have quickly conceded that mathwise my line is bad, but set out the underlying reasons as to the line took.  But even then stating that those reasons are flawed.  I dont know why you choose to conduct yourself the way you do, its a shame.

But its uncalled for and totally off the mark.  I guess youre just the type of person that enjoys taking the time out to be rude to people for no reason.  The reasons mainly being your own.

Its inexcusable to me.  Read the thread from beginning to end, mentally adding in what the mods deleted on your behalf.  Classy huh?

Wrong or right, i speak honestly and respectfully.  If you wish to continue this conversation feel free to respond to the PM I have sent you in regard to this, then we will not need to censor ourselves.  I dont know if that will give you the attention you want though?
  • edited September 2011
    can you not just reload if you lose? THe only reason you should fold is if you have to stand up if you lose.
    Posted by offshoot

+1 This is my point too. It's a +ev situation where the pot odds are big (it's a multi-way pot where you have the effective stack) and you are likely to have the best hand (based on your own reads and the fact that you have ace king).

Cash poker is a never ending game where the best player is the play who gets their money in when they are a favorite to win the hand most often. You win money by making players fold better hands than yours or getting people to call when they have worse than you. In this situation you have the best hand and the effective stack. If you say the biggest stack at the table is 80BBs deep then hell, you don't even have to re-load if the buy in is 100BBs.

Even if this was a tournement I think you should shove for the win. Since even if you lose you go down to 120BBs which is a very respectable stack.

If this was a super tight table full of where the standard raise was 3xBB with premium hands, and you know that when a player cold-calls for half his stack he likely has AA and is trying to induce a re-shove. Then folding is the way to go. But from the way you described the table I don't think you will get many better spots than this unless you flop the world and the maniac picks up a piece too.

But what do I know, I'm a total nit
  • edited September 2011
    limp fold ak = awful

if your gonna limp with ak to trap, then go all the way with it

I woulda just made a standard preflop raise and gone from there
  • edited September 2011
    agree with everyone else

limp folding makes no sense

• edited September 2011
    Was obv never intention to limp fold.  Intention was to limp 3 bet blind opener, to pick up the blind bet and stations, getting it aipf vs opener or isolate to opener with all the dead money in there.

But when the action plays out this way we are effectively cold 4betting when 4 opponents cant/wont fold.

But the common theme is I should have been happy just getting it in with the covering stack regardless, likely 5 handed.  Have to admit i dont fully agree with this, but it is the advice given by...well all.. so I would be foolish to ignore it.  Which I wont.
  • edited September 2011
    Hi AMYBR. Sorry mate but this sounds fairly bad to me. You should be happy getting it in here. I know you say you dont rely on the maths side of things and you like to use your reads and your instinct but you cant hide the fact that the numbers show the profit made by shoving this over time. 

I understand where you are coming from, but on this occassion i think you got it wrong. You limped to get action, when the action comes you cant fold just because someone else came along for the ride.

The math side of it that grantorino worked out should be the absolute key to this hand. Yep you will lose it more than you win it but the EV of it is in your favour so if you ran this over and over again you are the winner long term. I thought thats what this game was all about.
  • edited September 2011
    Lol I concede I concede :p.

It being cash and their ranges so wide, I guess I should get it in.

I am wired for tournament play, as my thinking throughout post likely highlights :)

As said from the start full ring cash is my weakest format.

I likely need to freshen up my perspective. 

Thanks again. 
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, loosen up a bit you great big nit! ;-D
  • edited September 2011
    you should only fold if you either dont hav the roll on you or there is a cap on the rebuy so that you cant now cover them
  • edited September 2011
    I am very comfortably rolled for this game.  There is no cap.

I see my error  quite clearly after all the input.

I think part of it is ego.  I meant what I said earlier about not liking losing pots to these guys.  Feeling that my game is stronger, so not needing to take flips.

But I guess in cash, in this spot it is totally immaterial.  Feeling strongly we have best hand, should snap it off, given stacks and dynamic, reloading when someone binks.

Have to admit its not how I usually go about things, but I think I've blinded myself to how simple this spot should really be. 

As many of you have rightly said, if reloading, it shouldnt be an issue.  Feel slightly dumb :p  But thanks for the wake up call.
  • edited September 2011
    I understand and agree that over time shoving is profitable here. Is there an argument that playing live 'over time' this situation will not come around often enough for variance to even out? Playing online you can play 10 thousands of hands (and since the internet is full of grinders who play like robots) and you will see everything over and over, so going strictly by maths makes sense, but is it really the same live?

• edited September 2011
    i just dont get it (im thick about things like this). ok he is fav to win the hand against any individual player, this has been agreed (i think), but he is still not fav to win the hand against 4 players, so how can this be profitable getting it all in when the chances are your going to lose to SOMEONE.  sorry for being dumb here but there must be better spots to get your money in. be kind   phil
  • edited September 2011
    i just dont get it (im thick about things like this). ok he is fav to win the hand against any individual player, this has been agreed (i think), but he is still not fav to win the hand against 4 players, so how can this be profitable getting it all in when the chances are your going to lose to SOMEONE.  sorry for being dumb here but there must be better spots to get your money in. be kind   phil
    Posted by pod1
    its called pot odds. He only needs to win 1 time in 5 to make it profitable. Maybe there are better spots, but if this one is good he should take it
  • edited September 2011
    its a veryu tricky spot in a tourney for sure gamble with your ak but it depends on your bank roll really but aginst 2 players with ak i would fold aswell aginst 1 player yeah it may be a flip and u might win but aginst 2 players less chance your ak will win so i would fold in this spot