You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call or Raise?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Multitables - Once seen just flat 5x raise pre w/QQ, Call minraise pre w/QJ, call flop and turn bets with TP, reraise river bet with same.
UP4ITRUTWO Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £8.50
Zeextenr Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £4.17
  Your hole cards

x Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £7.19
Dudeskin8 Call   £0.40 £0.95 £9.72
Ratsioli Fold        
HiItsDuke Fold        
UP4ITRUTWO Fold        
Zeextenr Fold        
Flop

x Bet   £0.48 £1.43 £6.71
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited September 2011
    re pop it and see where you are?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise?:
    re pop it and see where you are?
    Posted by pod1
    why is this a good idea? Where are you if he folds/calls/raises?

I would flat
  • edited September 2011
    i dont know why we cant take a more aggressive line here. if he folds then we took it down with a mediocre hand, if he calls then we re look again on turn, if he raises then we found out where we are and fold. why so passive?
  • edited September 2011
    raise here to take it down, you prob have the winning hand, if re- raised fold, if called slow down try to get to showdown withough investing much more.

flatting is ok, see what he does on the turn.. 
  • edited September 2011
    i dont know why we cant take a more aggressive line here. if he folds then we were ahead and made him fold the worst hand, if he calls then we're in tougher spot on the turn, but just in a bigger pot, if he raises then we found out where we are and fold. why so passive?
    Posted by pod1
  • edited September 2011
    call and access turn
    you have blockers to a nut straight so your only worried about flushing cards on turn
    when he checks blank turn then take him to the town called value

• edited September 2011
    I flat here.  As he wont fold out any draws, being his most likely holding.  Potentially getting 3bet when he has a combi.  But a raise wont really give us much info.

I'm flatting, looking for a blank then potting it at turn.  Likely opting for pot control or folding with a dirty card.  We only have a pair of 8's
  • edited September 2011
    yes jj we might make him fold a hand we are beating but not always a hand that  could beat us down the streets, ak etc. yes we put ourselves in a tougher spot on the turn, but if we are going to play 88 then apart from hitting a set here this dont get much better.  maybe a big flaw in my game, but i would rather make him"think" i am in control of the hand than just bend over backwards and take it roughly from behind. ob you and grantorino know more than i, but whats wrong with this line if you hold your nerve?
  • edited September 2011
    LOL theres nothing wrong with both lines! theres merit in both, mix up ur games a little :/ dont be predictable u bums ;)  being in position is the key though!
  • edited September 2011
    Dont mind raising  this OR flattin , depends what i think of the oppo so its situational dependant with me
  • edited September 2011
    I used to think exactly the same as you Pod, and until v recently, maybe the last 6 months, I still did think like that.

I still won before I changed how I thought about hands, so it can't be wrong I spose.

Just this way of thinking is better.

Still not 100% with it yet myself.

• edited September 2011
    so its not wrong, but not as right as it should be lol

• edited September 2011
    Essentially should we bet/raise to get worse hands to fold that may outdraw us ?

I would say no we don't want them to fold we want them to call so we can extract as much value as possible.
    If they decide to make bad decisions and pay over the price then that's good for us.
    Even if your giving them margianl odds to call then it's still good for us.

If they end up getting there then we can do nothing about that, all we can do is get value while we are ahead.

Should we raise here ? The best option for us is if worse calls the raise.
    Worse may call a bet but less likely to call a raise, so making worse hands to fold is not good.
    We could be behind so we are taking ourselves to value town.
    We also open ourselves up for a raise/shove on us and with 88 this is not great, are we calling a shove.
    Plus if oppo calls we are playing an inflated pot on the turn with a weak value hand.
    If we raise here we are effectivley turning our hand into a semi bluff and IP then maybe it's not that bad as it may also get better to fold.
    If your raising here then you need to be certain your going to follow through and call a shove or shove on a raise because raising then folding here is just bad IMO.

• edited September 2011
    LOL theres nothing wrong with both lines! theres merit in both, mix up ur games a little :/  dont be predictable u bums ;)  being in position is the key though!
    Posted by WHOAMI196

This.

We can trade being OOP for the betting lead however, tieing into Pods line.
  • edited September 2011

You can raise, just for value though, not to find out where you are

Personally I think raising is too thin v the range that continues. Imo if you raise it has to be with  the intention of getting it in without excellent reads that he flats worse

Pod, if you take down the pot with a mediocre hand here, you made the worse hand fold (usually a 6 outer) which is not good.

If he calls (and I wouldnt expect a call often) I wouldnt really know where I stood, and pot is big. Prob ahead and have to get it in but who knows and there arent many good cards for us

If he raises we are not sure where we are. His range beats us, but it might include a lot of hands we flip with and we  have 6 outs v overpairs.

If we raise fold here we are turning a hand with good equity against villains range into a bluff  

• edited September 2011
    thanks rancid and grantorino for explanations

• edited September 2011
    While we essentailly bet as a bluff or for value what about the old bet to protect a vulnerable hand.
    Now this is not the same as betting for info, your essentially just trying to protect your hand and take down the pot there and then. But with the bet to protect your are always b/f.

So would anyone suggest that betting to protect a vulnerable hand to an outdraw is fine.
    This could be a classic time with 88 to bet to protect, but maybe not to raise and protect.
    Very high risk raise protection line.

example:
    you opt to call 3x raise IP with A2spades

flop comes down QQ2

checked to you, are you:
    betting to protect (take down pot) ? betting for value ? checking behind with showdown value ? checking behind, betting blank turn ? betting as a semi bluff, if called going to fire again and rep a Q ?
  • edited September 2011
    Cheers for all the replies, interesting to see very opposite views.

Did flat in the end then get this.
    UP4ITRUTWO Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £8.50
    Zeextenr Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £4.17
      Your hole cards

x Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £7.19
    Dudeskin8 Call   £0.40 £0.95 £9.72
    Ratsioli Fold        
    HiItsDuke Fold        
    UP4ITRUTWO Fold        
    Zeextenr Fold        
    Flop

x Bet   £0.48 £1.43 £6.71
    Dudeskin8 Call   £0.48 £1.91 £9.24
    Turn

x Bet   £1.43 £3.34 £5.28
    Dudeskin8
  • edited September 2011
    same problem i had on hand i posted in clinic last week under the heading "bet to protect or bet to buid"
  • edited September 2011
    does this guy raise much pre, or does he openlimp/limp behind often? Any reads on how he plays draws?

My standard would be to flat again, this guy looks kinda bad passive though, I might fold
  • edited September 2011
    now it feels like he got overpair

shove but I don't think he is folding

sigh fold, like what are you beating - does he bet his draws or combi draws this aggro

he not happy with you calling, he probably finsk you have a draw )
  • edited September 2011
    Certainly not a serial raiser, mainly limp/limp behind/call raises. On draws, not a clue unfortunately.
  • edited September 2011
    Certainly not a serial raiser, mainly limp/limp behind/call raises. On draws, not a clue unfortunately.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I prob fold so.
  • edited September 2011
    lol respect you options!!! calling here has caused a bigger problem than raising the flop would have. If your gonna chose a certain line allways have a plan ........

• edited September 2011
    lol respect you options!!! calling here has caused a bigger problem than raising the flop would have. If your gonna chose a certain line allways have a plan ........
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    I agree he should have a plan. How does calling cause a bigger problem than raising? I dont think it does, and even if it is the case it doesnt mean raising is better
  • edited September 2011
    still think im right lol

• edited September 2011
    I think ya can still flat again OR put a raise in to try to take the pot , but its gettin difficult now innit ?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise? : I agree he should have a plan. How does calling cause a bigger problem than raising? I dont think it does, and even if it is the case it doesnt mean raising is better
    Posted by grantorino
    You can raise, just for value though, not to find out where you are Personally I think raising is too thin v the range that continues. Imo if you raise it has to be with  the intention of getting it in without excellent reads that he flats worse Pod, if you take down the pot with a mediocre hand here, you made the worse hand fold (usually a 6 outer) which is not good.If he calls (and I wouldnt expect a call often) I wouldnt really know where I stood, and pot is big. Prob ahead and have to get it in but who knows and there arent many good cards for us If he raises we are not sure where we are. His range beats us, but it might include a lot of hands we flip with and we  have 6 outs v overpairs. If we raise fold here we are turning a hand with good equity against villains range into a bluff  

all of this you said and you are going to fold the turn lol

• edited September 2011

The key thing here is our read on the villain. If they are generally passive/tight then i play it the same way as GT. Flat flop, fold turn.

If the Villain is a loose idiot, then im raising the flop for value and certianly continuing on this turn card!

I notice that you didnt give the third option "to fold" So i assume you just flatted the turn dude?

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Call or Raise? : You can raise, just for value though, not to find out where you are Personally I think raising is too thin v the range that continues. Imo if you raise it has to be with  the intention of getting it in without excellent reads that he flats worse Pod, if you take down the pot with a mediocre hand here, you made the worse hand fold (usually a 6 outer) which is not good.If he calls (and I wouldnt expect a call often) I wouldnt really know where I stood, and pot is big. Prob ahead and have to get it in but who knows and there arent many good cards for us If he raises we are not sure where we are. His range beats us, but it might include a lot of hands we flip with and we  have 6 outs v overpairs. If we raise fold here we are turning a hand with good equity against villains range into a bluff   all of this you said and you are going to fold the turn lol
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    Thanks for pasting my post and typing lol at the end

Feel free to critisize the call flop/fold blank turn line, I am aware of the weaknesses there and call/call may be better

Our line here depends on villain. This villain seems passive and has raised pre and fired two streets. I dont really want to call turn, if I do Im calling most rivers, but calling a guy like this down with a medium pair is going to be pretty marginal.

Now are you going to explain what problems raising flop avoids and why it is better than calling, or just lol at my line. Also how do you intend to continue after raising flop?