You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker strategy video + Commentary

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hey produced some poker videos, all DYm at the moment but will be adding more. If you could take a look and give me some feedback that would be awesome.

Regards

Kocklaw

http://www.youtube.com/user/cocklaw

Comments

• edited September 2011

Good vid m8. I love anything like this, any game, any level as long as the sound and picture quality is good, as yours is.

Just watched the 10 dym vid....

You seem to have the basics in place early doors, but towards the end there were a couple of dubious moves, the first real 1 was limping in @ 75/150 blinds on the button w/pocket 8s from a 2.5k stack, after a limp UTG.......

I think this is a pretty clear, 100% shoving opportunity, to get it in and steal the 375 ded money chips in the middle.......

And the next was the limp from the small blind with 34 I think it was, in the same level? You can't really afford to fritter away chips at this stage. This is a clear fold at any blind level, but especially later on when blinds are big.

The AK hand where you make it 3x @ 50/100 and fold to the shove is a really good DYM talking point I think, it's a pretty tough spot. Maybe a dym pro can comment on that hand. Not sure I'm qualified.

Im not sure if you wanted feedback on the quality of your vid and/or your play, so without getting too technical, maybe you can read this blog that went up on the site recently, focusing on DYMS between £1 and £11.

excellent vid, I'm gonna watch the other 2 now. Look forward to any you post in the future.

gl.
  • edited September 2011
    Nice work, I'll watch the rest later.

You sound like George Harrison :-D

• edited September 2011
    Really good video. I'm off to watch the others now.
  • edited September 2011
    thanks for the comments guys, am putting alot of time in to this at the mo. I hoping to improve my game aswell as maybe help others by doing this.

Yea Dooohhhh all your comments are valid and i appreciated it and will take them on board. That AK hand was a nightmare and 1st QQ was worse.

Am taking the George Harrison comment as a compliment

I got some great games recorded i'll get them up once there edited. Hopefully i'll improve with the software on that side of things too. Wait to you see some of my FAILS am such a plonk!!

• edited September 2011
    Firstly nice video buddy

Queens hand earlier on you should raising to 200 pre, dream flop i would bet more 2/3rd-3/4 pot and aim to get in, after that check/folding turn river is about right as played he has the flush alot and the king is a bad card also

J6 hand i bet more on the turn 150-200 which means you can get a tad more value

2nd queens played pefecto

AK CO you should raise more as there has been a limper 400-450 imo

There was a hand Carlybhoy opened 5x opened and folded raised to 750 with 1300ish behind i would be noting

Q10suited i dont limp i probably just fold as there is no need to get involved even though it looks pretty

88 hand with 2 limpers and your 4/4 at the time i think its a standard shove, maybe get called by Rag ace but its the right move IMO

34 limp is terribad just fold, possibly can raise if unopened as they dont really defend their blinds.

Anyway good video and welcome buddy,
  • edited September 2011

HI Kocklaw,

Fairly new and play low-level DYM's occasionally. Found your vid EXCELLENT!  I learnt 2 things..1. I didn't realise you could look at hand history whilst still playing!  & 2 How to take notes. 

As for the game itself I enjoyed your commentary and thought processes etc.  I hope you don't mind me saying but I was worried that your lay down on the QQ hand was gonna get under your skin and be your downfall! 
    Gonna look at your other ones and keep em coming!

Edit - Watched other two.  Good work!  Just a minor quirk, might be system I was watching on, in the £3:30 one the commentary is a little bit ahead of the action esp early on.
    GL pad

• edited September 2011
    Got another one up people, plenty of drama and some interesting hands hope you enjoy.

Thanks for the comments guys its appreciated

Regards

Kocklaw
  • edited September 2011
    I watched the others by the way (not your 4th one yet) and they're really good. I'll have to give number 4 a go now.

Please let me know if you do either more, either via PM or just sticking it on the forum.
  • edited October 2011
    2 more videos up people.
    Ive called them round 2, at £5 & £3 levels.

All thoughts and comments welcome
  • edited October 2011

Excellent Videos! Really enjoy watching other people sweat!!lol THe £5 one I found especially interesting.  Also, it's good that you show yourself losing as well, always winning might get boring to watch?  Just a VERY minor criticism, you zoomed in on your hand in the £5 one for about a min or so and we "missed" an exciting flop,turn river, where you lost the hand.  As I say just minor but thought I'd mention it.  In the £3 one you had notes on a player but I didn't see you check them?  Maybe you did b4 the action started?

Keep em coming Kocklaw!
    pad

• edited October 2011
    Video quality is good, commentary its ok but maybe try to think about what your gonna say, unless your doing the commentary as you play.....

Comment on your DYM game, you lost AK - 55, and this is a classical DYM hand, you asked why the person is shoving weak with a 55 and the obvious answer is, when your under 10 BB's you are in push and fold mode, you cant limp in, or raise it because in doing so your pot commiting yourself, therefore you push in the hopes that everybody folds around you, but if you do get called your still in good standing, every pocket pair is good for this.

When you had a pocket pair you was just over 10 BB's so ok it was fine to wait a bit longer for a better hand but you cant wait for much longer

ill try and look at the rest but keep it up :)
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker strategy video + Commentary:
    Video quality is good, commentary its ok but maybe try to think about what your gonna say, unless your doing the commentary as you play..... Comment on your DYM game, you lost AK - 55, and this is a classical DYM hand, you asked why the person is shoving weak with a 55 and the obvious answer is, when your under 10 BB's you are in push and fold mode, you cant limp in, or raise it because in doing so your pot commiting yourself, therefore you push in the hopes that everybody folds around you, but if you do get called your still in good standing, every pocket pair is good for this. When you had a pocket pair you was just over 10 BB's so ok it was fine to wait a bit longer for a better hand but you cant wait for much longer ill try and look at the rest but keep it up :)
    Posted by sillymunch
    This is the most important thing I think you need to realise...

Watched all your vids btw, enjoyed them, and pleased to hear you're planning on doing other formats....

But the longer the game goes on (blinds get the bigger) the cards become less important, and you're looking for situations to steal.

The perfect scenario of course is you find a good hand, in a perfect spot to steal.

• edited October 2011
    Hi kocklaw i have just watched the 3 Pound dym where you were unlucky with the AK against the 55 it was a really good video and i look forward to watching the rest.

You said in commentary that you have read a number of books, have you read Sit and go strategy by Colin Moshman i am currently reading this and i find it an excellent book.Normally i struggle to read poker books but i am finding this one quite an enjoyable read and would recommend it to anyone.

I will watch the other vids later,all the best mate.
  • edited October 2011
    Excellent Videos! Really enjoy watching other people sweat!!lol THe £5 one I found especially interesting.  Also, it's good that you show yourself losing as well, always winning might get boring to watch?  Just a VERY minor criticism, you zoomed in on your hand in the £5 one for about a min or so and we "missed" an exciting flop,turn river, where you lost the hand.  As I say just minor but thought I'd mention it.  In the £3 one you had notes on a player but I didn't see you check them?  Maybe you did b4 the action started? Keep em coming Kocklaw! pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    Firstly thanks for watching, i'll be honest the software i use zooms and follows my cursor as i play and should zoom out after ive finished. this is not intentional. I have turned this function off for future videos because of exactly that hand. I dont get to see where it zoomed till i publish it!!!! (stupid software lol)
  • edited October 2011
    Hi kocklaw i have just watched the 3 Pound dym where you were unlucky with the AK against the 55 it was a really good video and i look forward to watching the rest. You said in commentary that you have read a number of books, have you read Sit and go strategy by Colin Moshman i am currently reading this and i find it an excellent book.Normally i struggle to read poker books but i am finding this one quite an enjoyable read and would recommend it to anyone. I will watch the other vids later,all the best mate.
    Posted by Spikelad

Thanks, i'll try find moshmans work
  • edited October 2011
    Hey all, hope you all run good???/

Check the £10 DYM round 2 now up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ISdZiF8Co
  • edited October 2011
    Hey Kocklaw, really enjoying the vids.

A combination of these vids and John Connors guide has made me wanna givew it a go grinding DYMs so check out my thread on in General Poker Chat, my DYM diary and let me know what you think of my win-rate etc.
  • edited October 2011
    Hey all, hope you all run good???/ Check the £10 DYM round 2 now up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ISdZiF8Co
    Posted by kocklaw
    imo

dnt like the 3bet wiv AT frm the sb in level 2

hate the overlimp wiv A8s in level 4

whats ur thinking when u say u r tempted 2 defend ur bb 2a min raise from utg+1 in l4 wiv 24o, esp when the min raiser only has 500 / 5bbs back

AJ ship in level 6 is 100% standard, no other move

the KJ just after should be a ship, not a min raise

if ur going to play the JT vs the all in blind then u av2 ship, min raising wiv ~ 4bbs and 2 active players behind is not an option, esp seein as it sounded as if ud fold if u got jammed on. personally i jus fold here, the sit n go, from what i saw, looked pretty weak so i dnt feel the need to get involved in this spot.

prob sounds like im bein quite harsh but im tryin 2 write this whilst playin myself, be interestin 2 hear ur opinions
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Poker strategy video + Commentary : imo dnt like the 3bet wiv AT frm the sb in level 2 hate the overlimp wiv A8s in level 4 whats ur thinking when u say u r tempted 2 defend ur bb 2a min raise from utg+1 in l4 wiv 24o, esp when the min raiser only has 500 / 5bbs back AJ ship in level 6 is 100% standard, no other move the KJ just after should be a ship, not a min raise if ur going to play the JT vs the all in blind then u av2 ship, min raising wiv ~ 4bbs and 2 active players behind is not an option, esp seein as it sounded as if ud fold if u got jammed on. personally i jus fold here, the sit n go, from what i saw, looked pretty weak so i dnt feel the need to get involved in this spot. prob sounds like im bein quite harsh but im tryin 2 write this whilst playin myself, be interestin 2 hear ur opinions
    Posted by SHANXTA
    I three bet the Ace10 against this Villian as he had limped or min raised every hand I was testing this player.

My thinkin on the defend was the implied odds. She didnt raise enough, i could call on the presumtion if I hit the ideal flop i could take her intire stack. So therefor the thinkin is call a 100 to collect 700. I very rarely fold to min raises in bb.

If i believe the players will fold to min raises i risk as least as posible, hense the little bets. I dont just ship all in if i can avoid. I was not committed on these hands as others players were short too. I try remind myself as os often as posible that the aim of DYM is to survive.

No i like all comments and points of view. There is no right or wrongs, in this game i applied the logic from what i knew of the players. In another game these same moves may blow up in my face.

Regards

Kocklaw
  • edited October 2011
    Yo rock and rollers

2 more vids up, a multi table sit & go (could be under the comedy section aswell!!) and a £15 wwwooooo level DYM haha and check this it was published in HD so should be better quality and full screen 720 should be pretty perfect. Please let me know if you peps see the difference.

Thumbs up if any good too

Regards

K
  • edited October 2011

lol @ the moment you realise it's a rebuy.

Seen you take a few bad beats in your videos but the biggest sigh is when you realise you're in a rebuy! haha V entertaining.

Loving the vids.  Keep them comong plz.

Do you never play cash?
  • edited October 2011

Watched the £15 one today and really enjoyed it, comments... (these are constructive I hope?)

1.  I did notice a difference in quality. The sizing was better as well.
    2.  The zoom-in thing when it kicks in is still a bit annoying & hides some hands etc.
    3.  On the poker front i noticed you ditched KJ which surprised me, (having watched your previous play.)  I forget the circumstances so might have to watch it again.
    4.  Was wondering if you are doing this as a hobby or hoping to/are in the production business? Just curious like.
    5.  Your commentary voice/accent is excellent for this.
    6.  It might be easier/more entertaining to concentrate on the game your videoing ( I mean this in a nice way! I mean re the omaha table etc.) I think it would give you more time to explain your thought/decision-making processes and about the other players which (for me) is the most important/enjoyable bit. You seem a reasonable player and certainly as a "newbie" I am learning a lot.
    7. looking forward to the next instalment/s!
    pad

• edited October 2011
    good video pal we all have are own theory on how to play dyms imo only play premium hands early on aa kk qq ak etc just sit back and let people knock each other out when blinds go level 5 and 6 then its all about surviving so if your short stack try and pick spots to pick up blinds etc  
  • edited October 2011
    There more on the way People. I did really well in a bounter Hunter and it taking me ages to cut it down, think it will be a multi vid Part 1 2, 3 etc.

Cheers glen, all comments welcome. The zooming in drives me nutz i keep turning the setting off and it keeps doing it. the problem is I dont see where it zooms until a view the recording after the game.

Glad the quality is being noticed it takes 3 times as long to publish but  think it loads better.

oh yea i ditch KJ 90% of the time, that an KQ are the most over played hands in poker. I am just doing this for fun, so as long as people are watching i'll producing them. I also gonna do a vid showing how you make these video's it dead easy!!! I don't think you could make money fom these, but since some are now on Pokertube too and attracting plenty of views I think Sky Poker gonna owe me at least a free hoodie......

Regards

K
  • edited October 2011
    good video pal we all have are own theory on how to play dyms imo only play premium hands early on aa kk qq ak etc just sit back and let people knock each other out when blinds go level 5 and 6 then its all about surviving so if your short stack try and pick spots to pick up blinds etc  
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    This  ^^^^^  Your general poker seems kind of ok (I saw a few leaks like bet sizing and not bluffing enough, if at all) but SNGs and DYM SNGs are not real poker and to get the best monetary return from them, you need to learn very particular stategies, like those alluded to above.  Very interesting vids though.
  • edited October 2011
    Hi you Beasts!!!

£20 DYM up and running, go take a look.

Also I have the how to video especially for you lovely people

Regards

K
  • edited November 2011
    Hey guys am back, sorry been awhile. I become very unwell after my 30th B'day celebrations.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/cocklaw#p/a/u/0/9MSeHh1bMb0

heres a new vid and am hoping to add at least 2 more tonight. Remember these are all HD now so you can knock them up to 720p at the bottom of the vid screen to see it in fine streaming.

Hope you are all well, if you like the vids please poke the thumbs up tab on the yotube!
  • edited November 2011
    Awesome videos man - will be watching more tonight and "thumb upping" them lol
  • edited November 2011
    Got the other 2 up, i trying to get the BH result and i just played the primo again and got hammered so I will cut up as much as I can as I obvisiously need some help in the tournaments on this site. I p!ss the Satallites then donk out in the tournaments .....consistently!!!

Ah well got a great sit & and turbo in the line tooo, more entertainment than poker. It like they say on big brother sometimes you forget the Mic's on

Regards

K
  • edited November 2011
    U gonna do any cash vids KL???

Love the vids obv, or I wouldn't be asking....

Also, how did you get on with the dog??