You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM bubble is it a fold???

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
hellofishy Small blind 75.00 75.00 3197.50
121285 Big blind  150.00 225.00 2070.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

dlbh Fold     
Batkin88 Raise  450.00 675.00 2277.50
hellofishy All-in  3197.50 3872.50 0.00
121285 Fold     
Batkin88 ????

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Its on the bubble if i fold i will still be 2nd in chips should i be taking the risk here or just folding
  • edited September 2011
    its a very tricky spot it depends really how much the short stack has for me if he has like 600 - 1000 left then i would fold but if it is close between all 4 players then i would go for it its more likely to be a flip ak vs hes pair i dont mind either way tbh with u but i would fold here and find a better spot 
  • edited September 2011
    fold, at best u prob flipping - so if you think you have a better then 55% chance of cashing (sometimes he going to show up with AA.KK) if you fold, its an easy fold?

Has the villian made this sort of move before?
  • edited September 2011
    call - can't see a reason to fold - stacks are close
  • edited September 2011
    i'd prob call with stack sizes..seen ppl jam so many times with aq aj or any ace on the bubble.

upto u though, no wrong or right thing to do here. go with ur instincts.
  • edited September 2011

How do your interpret you table image could he be going for a re steal think your at it?

• edited September 2011
    dym's i play ridiculously tight but this player just plays his cards and wouldn't think twice about my possible hands
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM bubble is it a fold???:
    dym's i play ridiculously tight but this player just plays his cards and wouldn't think twice about my possible hands
    Posted by Batkin88
    I dont like his play with any cards here but i think he would have to maek this play with AQ alot for me to want to call it. Do you have any notes on the player?

How have you been getting on with the DYM?
  • edited September 2011
    since reading the blog and basically playing by the rules of it and adding a few touches i would say at £5.50 and £11 i am cashing 70% ish prob a little higher on £5.50 but lower levels you will continuosly cash as players are way more aggro down there. But really sticking to £5.50 atm as quit easy money
  • edited September 2011
    I think I'd fold here. You're either gonna be MILES behind, a flip, or at best 60/40 and I don't think you need to risk it here.
  • edited September 2011
    dont really know but I would think its a fold. Whats 4th guys stack? Also if you are folding to a shove raise less

BTW what do people think of openshoving here? Could be really bad, I know nothing about dyms, just wondering it kinda sounds better than raise/folding
  • edited September 2011
    dont really know but I would think its a fold. Whats 4th guys stack? Also if you are folding to a shove raise less BTW what do people think of openshoving here? Could be really bad, I know nothing about dyms, just wondering it kinda sounds better than raise/folding
    Posted by grantorino
    Open shoving is definatly unexploitably +EV, It might not be optimal but its what I do
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah open shoving is definitely always a good move with these kinda hands.
  • edited September 2011
    dont really know but I would think its a fold. Whats 4th guys stack? Also if you are folding to a shove raise less BTW what do people think of openshoving here? Could be really bad, I know nothing about dyms, just wondering it kinda sounds better than raise/folding
    Posted by grantorino
    +1 Gran

I finks these DYM's are just the mini cash bubble of an MTT tbh so same rules apply - anyone else feel this ?
    I just can't see how your raise folding AK, you may aswel be doing this with any 2   - if really your only intention is to steal blinds :s You must know when you raise if your calling a shove or folding m8'ty
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    Raise like 320-375 pre imo as 3x just seems to hugh at these limits.

I would fold to shove with />10bb's left.
  • edited September 2011
    Id shove it pre , always do in a spot like this
  • edited September 2011
    Id shove it pre , always do in a spot like this
    Posted by debdobs_67
    your only going to get called by a hand that beats you then
  • edited September 2011
    Everyone folding AK, is this a new trend.

The blind levels are what ? 5 minutes - your at 75/150 - you haven't got all the time in the world and you have AK

Are we really only waiting for QQ/KK/AA ?

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM bubble is it a fold??? : your only going to get called by a hand that beats you then
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    so not the point
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM bubble is it a fold??? : so not the point
    Posted by TWRAMYEP
    If this was a standard sit and go or a MTT i think its an easy call as the money is weighted towards the top. But it isnt you only need to get in the top 3.

I still think that if you feel there are weaker players left there doesnt seem much point in making this call.

If you fold and go on to cash your happy, if you bubble you wish you made the call
  • edited September 2011
    Rancid, you gotta remember, you're not trying to come 1st.

Yes you're right in some ways about it being like a cash bubble in an MTT except in an MTT often a min cash means very little and it's worth going for the win so you can't tighten up around the bubble.

Imagine if it was an MTT bubble, there's been 200 runners (£2 BI, prize pool £400), bubble is 20th, and instead of it being 1st prize being say £180 and then working down from there, instead EVERYONE gets £20, 20th gets £20 and so does 1st place. Do you really think that the bubble would play out the same way? Cos thats the difference between an MTT bubble and a DYM
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM bubble is it a fold??? : your only going to get called by a hand that beats you then
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    Ure assuming the player can play ?? once ive bet like batkin i aint EVER foldin AK
  • edited September 2011
    Rancid, you gotta remember, you're not trying to come 1st. Yes you're right in some ways about it being like a cash bubble in an MTT except in an MTT often a min cash means very little and it's worth going for the win so you can't tighten up around the bubble. Imagine if it was an MTT bubble, there's been 200 runners (£2 BI, prize pool £400), bubble is 20th, and instead of it being 1st prize being say £180 and then working down from there, instead EVERYONE gets £20, 20th gets £20 and so does 1st place. Do you really think that the bubble would play out the same way? Cos thats the difference between an MTT bubble and a DYM
    Posted by Lambert180
    I am confused :s lolz
    I don't really play DYM's but for me it's simples:
    Sit out and don't play unless you have the nutz and maybe you will sqeeze through, this just sounds like playing tight on a mtt cash bubble. Or just pick your balls up and play when the blinds get to about 75/150.
    When thr blinds get to 75/150 how the hell do you fold AK :s So basically we only going to be getting it in with AA and our stack is steadily decreasing.
    This just sounds like a great time to be shoving with air lol as people are only going to be calling with a tiny percentage of hands so the odds are in our favour )

I will try some and see how I get on lolz

• edited September 2011
    Rancid, to be a consistent winner at DYMs, beat the rake and the rubbish ROI per game, you have to have a pretty high win rate... right??

So like I said in my first post here, if you're against QJ or lower, you're only 60/40 which isn't great considering how often you need to cash in these and how often you'll lose a 60/40.

Then what if it's 22- QQ you're up against, 50/50, again, not good enough cos you need to cash much more than 50% of DYMs.

or better still it's AA/KK and you're a massive underdog.

And lets not forget, if she gets it in here, she's playing for her stack. So you're playing for your stack when a very high % of the time, it's a losing play cos you need to cash about 60% just to break even which you won't do with the above odds.
  • edited September 2011
    Rancid, to be a consistent winner at DYMs, beat the rake and the rubbish ROI per game, you have to have a pretty high win rate... right?? So like I said in my first post here, if you're against QJ or lower, you're only 60/40 which isn't great considering how often you need to cash in these and how often you'll lose a 60/40. Then what if it's 22- QQ you're up against, 50/50, again, not good enough cos you need to cash much more than 50% of DYMs. or better still it's AA/KK and you're a massive underdog. And lets not forget, if she gets it in here, she's playing for her stack. So you're playing for your stack when a very high % of the time, it's a losing play cos you need to cash about 60% just to break even which you won't do with the above odds.
    Posted by Lambert180
    i hear ya !
    What strat would you say i should try

edit: just been reading JC's blog on DYM's
  • edited September 2011

I played this hand so bad and called and ran into queens or sumin along them lines i know it should be a fold but multi tabling ruined my game :( cheers for input and good to see what i thought was a mistake is a mistake

• edited September 2011
    Am with Pianoplaya, an open shove is likely to be called by a hand thats beatin you. you were right to raise and then evaluate.
    Whether you call or fold would have to be based on the villians play in earlier rounds. Only you know what he/she was doing during play.

The move is either protecting a low pair or weaker ace than yours or is trapping you with a strong hand AA, KK, QQ or even AQ, AJ. The Villian may believe AQ to winning here and tryin to trap you with it praying for a call.

All you can do is process this information in the few seconds you have and call or fold :) Neither is a bad play, just apply the logic and hope for the right result.
  • edited September 2011

Assuming you are 60 % to win, if you call 60% of time you win .33 of prizepool, 40% you win 0 so $EV is ~0.19 of prizepool

Running rough stacks if you fold thru ICM calculator, you have about $EV of ~0.24 of prizepool. Its possible I used calculator wrongly though

Also if villains fold all worse hands openshoving is going to be pretty good here, esp as we flip with some of calling range

• edited September 2011
    Assuming you are 60 % to win, if you call 60% of time you win .33 of prizepool, 40% you win 0 so $EV is ~0.19 of prizepool Running rough stacks if you fold thru ICM calculator, you have about $EV of ~0.24 of prizepool. Its possible I used calculator wrongly though Also if villains fold all worse hands openshoving is going to be pretty good here, esp as we flip with some of calling range
    Posted by grantorino
    yep open shoving is good here already did the icm calc.